Ricky Gervais destroys the Golden Globes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Ricky Gervais destroys the Golden Globes

I shat myself when I heard last year that he was going to host. He completely obliterated a few people, Tim Allen and Stallone in particular. It got to the point where I was scared to watch because of the awkwardness. Genius.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Ricky was awesome. The Golden Globes is a sham of an awards show to begin with, and the fact that they've now revealed themselves as humorless doesn't do them any favors.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ricky Gervais destroys the Golden Globes

C M B wrote:
I shat myself when I heard last year that he was going to host. He completely obliterated a few people, Tim Allen and Stallone in particular. It got to the point where I was scared to watch because of the awkwardness. Genius.

Definitely cringe worthy at points.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject:

He made an awards show watchable. That in and of itself should be commended.

When he cracked on the HFPA about being old I was praying that an old guy wasn't about to walk out or I was going to piss myself laughing.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Ricky was awesome. The Golden Globes is a sham of an awards show to begin with, and the fact that they've now revealed themselves as humorless doesn't do them any favors.

I didn't see it, but are you saying they couldn't take the jokes, or the jokes were not humorous?

---George Carlin
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the ratings will tank next year if they replace him with a safe host.
RealOne
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject:

It seemed more like a celebrity roast than an awards show.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I <3 Ricky Gervais
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Bookmarked.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
ocho wrote:

I didn't see it, but are you saying they couldn't take the jokes, or the jokes were not humorous?

The jokes were funny. The people in the audience who couldn't laugh at themselves weren't, nor were the HFPA who are complaining about his material today. The HFPA is a joke to begin with. Entertainment journalist and industry insider Nikki Finke put it best:

Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is a completely meaningless awards show from a scandal-riddled organization on a network desperate for ratings. Not only have journalists like myself for years been attacking the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for its exclusionary membership policies and too-cosy relationship with studios and networks, but an Oscar-winning documentary director (Vikram Jayanti in his 2004 film The Golden Globes: Hollywood's Dirty Little Secret) has called the group a bunch of "freeloaders" who know more about hors d'oeuvres than auteurs and select winners based on "who kisses butt best". As recently as Friday, the HFPA was accused in a lawsuit filed by its former publicist (who for 17 years used to be paid to protect the group's image) of accepting "payola" -- like taking lavish gifts from studios in exchange for nominations -- and other questionable business practices. Even though the charges are denied by the HFPA, the lawsuit alleges what we've all known: that the Golden Globes and the organization behind it have zero integrity. Hollywood filmmakers and TV producers who lavishly lobby the HFPA almost always score nominations. Stars win in direct correlation to their glamour quotient. Everything about the awards is geared towards hyping the media's interest and the telecast's ratings. Even the small motley group of 85 mostly freelancers who belong to the HFPA won't grant membership to the real foreign journalists at the prestige media outlets across the world. That's because the HFPA clique don't want to dilute the financial bonanza they receive from the studios and networks who arrange exclusive interviews about each year's movies and TV shows. The organizations who put on the Golden Globes -- NBC and Dick Clark Productions -- could clean up the HFPA but choose not to. That's because everybody is making gobs of money, including the HFPA which pockets an estimated $30 million in broadcast fees for the awards show. Instead, the entire entertainment industry props up this pathetic broadcast because it's seen as a night-long marketing tool. And, FYI: only once in the last six years has the winner of one of the Golden Globe best film prizes gone on to win Best Picture at the Oscars (2008's Slumdog Millionaire) though that came after an 8-year Globe/Oscar winning streak. So I refuse to treat these nominations with any seriousness. (And if you don't want that, then for crissakes stop reading me now...) In fact the only reason I can think of to tune in is because, over the years, Jack Nicholson has mooned the audience, Jim Carrey has talked out of his butt, Christine Lahti was locked in the bathroom, and other unscripted weirdness occurs at this intimate dinner. Including 1982's low point when Pia Zadora's husband bought her best "New Star Of The Year".

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
ocho wrote:

The HFPA got a little ticked off that he not only took shots at their carefully selected (bought?) stars, but took them at the HFPA itself for being corrupt and largely irrelevant.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
ocho wrote:

The jokes hit a bit close to home. Some of the actors and actresses couldn't take the jokes but you can see some celebrities laughing as they panned throughout the crowd.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject:

That was awesome!
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject:

He made the show entertaining, but he disappeared for over an hour during the show.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject:

That was awesome. I wonder if there is some animosity between him and Steve Carrell for leaving the show.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Heard they yanked him for that hour because the Golden Globes folks were so pissed. Any truth to that rumor?

Edit: No, it was just how he ran the show. Lots of BS going around on the net.

Last edited by tlim on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
That was awesome. I wonder if there is some animosity between him and Steve Carrell for leaving the show.

Steve Carrell is a co-producer with him for The Office. I'm pretty sure Steve Carrell doesn't take himself too seriously and they get along fine.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject:

The GG Awards are a total fraud. We interviewed a French writer a few years back and off camera he told us how the voting is essentially rigged by people who never go see the movies and live outside the country. Lots of them 80+ years old.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
The GG Awards are a total fraud. We interviewed a French writer a few years back and off camera he told us how the voting is essentially rigged by people who never go see the movies and live outside the country. Lots of them 80+ years old.

If there was any doubt that they were a joke, they obliterated that doubt this year by nominating The Tourist for best picture-comedy.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kevin wrote:

If there was any doubt that they were a joke, they obliterated that doubt this year by nominating The Tourist for best picture-comedy.

Gervais' bit on the Tourist was some his better zingers. Too bad they didn't show Angelina's sourpuss reaction.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

"It was a big year for 3D movies. Toy Story, Despicable Me, Tron. It seemed like everything this year was three-dimensional. Except the characters in The Tourist. I already feel bad about that joke. I tell you what, I'm jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven't even seen The Tourist. Who has? But it must be good because it's nominated, so shut up, OK? And I'd like to crush this ridiculous rumor that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so that the foreign press of could hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That was not the only reason; they also accepted bribes."
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Didn't see it.
Axl Rose
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Oh, so it takes Ricky Gervais to point out the obvious for these "stars" to get embarrassed? They should have thought about embarrassment before they went out to get busted for drugs or for making bad movies!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Didn't see it because I hate awards shows. Reading about Ricky makes me want to see it, which is the kind of buzz you would think the GG's would want. Of course next time they'll go with a safe ass-kisser which will again ensure that I won't watch.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Joe Mantegna's daughter is bangin'.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: