Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Probably time to lock this one up since it has become about every show except GOT.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:
https://i.redd.it/xnisr5umzqz21.png

I honestly still find it baffling that people think S8 was measurably worse than S7, but I'm resigned to disagreeing with the consensus on this one.

Aside from S8E2 there wasn't much in terms of quality dialogue in S8. S7 had the stupid wight hunt but the rest of the season (sans Euron and Bronn) had enjoyable conversations. And Field of Fire 2 was great.

I don't think S7 had noticeably better dialogue, but even if that were the case, dialogue isn't the only thing to a show. For example, I think people were too wrapped up in disliking the episode because of Dany's turn to appreciate how breathtaking S8E5 was in terms of its cinematography. That was my immediate takeaway from that episode, and yet 100% of conversations I had (offline and online) about the episode were basically about the character turn. Which I understand, but there's also a version of S8E5 which is ugly and boring and poorly paced & acted.

From what I remember, Field of Fire was a great episode aside from the Bronn/Jaime contrived ending though. But that kind of makes my point about dialogue being less important to the show's success.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

I honestly still find it baffling that people think S8 was measurably worse than S7, but I'm resigned to disagreeing with the consensus on this one.

Aside from S8E2 there wasn't much in terms of quality dialogue in S8. S7 had the stupid wight hunt but the rest of the season (sans Euron and Bronn) had enjoyable conversations. And Field of Fire 2 was great.

Also,

1. Arya's avenging House Stark by killing all the men of House Frey
2. Olenna's confession and the fall of House Tyrell
3. The reunion of the Stark children
4. House Stark taking taking it's vengeance on Littlefinger

Eh, #1 played up Arya's delight in revenge in a way that was incongruent to what her arc ended up being. #2 didn't stick with me, one way or another, but sure. #3&4 were moments that bookended the worst plot line of the show, worse than the Sand Snakes, due to how incoherent it was (Arya and Sansa not trusting each other until they finally decide to consult their omniscient brother and realize Littlefinger was manipulating them... just terrible).

You could tell Season 7 contrived (bleep) in order to keep the Stark sisters busy in the North. I think D&D actually admitted to as much.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

I don't think S7 had noticeably better dialogue, but even if that were the case, dialogue isn't the only thing to a show. For example, I think people were too wrapped up in disliking the episode because of Dany's turn to appreciate how breathtaking S8E5 was in terms of its cinematography. That was my immediate takeaway from that episode, and yet 100% of conversations I had (offline and online) about the episode were basically about the character turn. Which I understand, but there's also a version of S8E5 which is ugly and boring and poorly paced & acted.

From what I remember, Field of Fire was a great episode aside from the Bronn/Jaime contrived ending though. But that kind of makes my point about dialogue being less important to the show's success.

I agree with the cinematography of S8E5 and E6. Even Battle of Winterfell had some amazing shots. I also agree with people getting caught up on one thing and not seeing the rest of the episode, upon rewatch I appreciated the episode much more; it's easier to just sit back and enjoy it when you know what's gonna happen.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I wonder if binge watching compared to watching something weekly has an effect on how someone views a show? I binge watched The Wire, and the first few seasons of Mad Men....and I can recall feeling very deep and attached to the series while watching in that manner....kind of more connected to the characters.

I think a slow binge (no more than 1 or 2 episodes a day) is the best way to view most shows.

That’s how I do the shows I love. 1-2 episodes a day, every once in a while throw in an extra episode or two

Currently doing this with BCS (3rd time through). Man that show is just incredible.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I wonder if binge watching compared to watching something weekly has an effect on how someone views a show? I binge watched The Wire, and the first few seasons of Mad Men....and I can recall feeling very deep and attached to the series while watching in that manner....kind of more connected to the characters.

I think a slow binge (no more than 1 or 2 episodes a day) is the best way to view most shows.

I hate binging. I think it's bad for TV and ruins any communal experience of watching something.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I hate binging. I think it's bad for TV and ruins any communal experience of watching something.

I agree when they are current. But going back and rewatching a series is a wonderful thing at a pace of just a few episodes a day
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I agree when they are current. But going back and rewatching a series is a wonderful thing at a pace of just a few episodes a day

Oh I agree about that. Having old shows on demand is great. Just not a fan of new seasons being released all at once so people can consume it as rapidly as possible.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ocho wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Oh I agree about that. Having old shows on demand is great. Just not a fan of new seasons being released all at once so people can consume it as rapidly as possible.

Completely agree. It's the one weak point of the great Netflix shows - always having to ask "what episode are you on?" before discussing the show with anyone.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
tox wrote:

I agree with the cinematography of S8E5 and E6. Even Battle of Winterfell had some amazing shots. I also agree with people getting caught up on one thing and not seeing the rest of the episode, upon rewatch I appreciated the episode much more; it's easier to just sit back and enjoy it when you know what's gonna happen.

Battle of Winterfell is gonna look 100x better on Blu-ray, as opposed to the necessary compression you get during streaming. Though even when it aired, there were some memorable shots (as stupid as it was tactically, watching the Dothraki flaming swords slowly extinguish into a wall of darkness was amazing -- you can tell they worked backwards from the awesomeness of that specific shot).

I also agree that with people's expectations properly calibrated, it'll be easier to enjoy the spectacle for what it is, even if you lament the character work, dialogue, shoddy plotting, pacing, and so forth.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

The cast reading (listening) to the ending of The Long Night. They seem to enjoy this episode more than most herein.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-arya-stark-maisie-williams-big-moment_n_5cecfa6ce4b00e036573fdcf

(notice that she vaults off a pile of dead Wights)
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

1.) sopranos
2.) deadwood
3.) wire (currently in the middle of my first replay)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Six Feet Under has gotten forgotten a little bit, but it is also a fabulous show.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Adding cowboy bebop to the list of greatest shows
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Adding cowboy bebop to the list of greatest shows

+1000
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^^

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=6980949
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Six Feet Under has gotten forgotten a little bit, but it is also a fabulous show.

solid show and definitely the best series ending of any show.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I've started GOT from the beginning. On episode 2, and this gave me chills when Ned Stark and Jon Snow part and Ned says "next time we meet, we'll talk about your mother."

So much more insight when you look back at everything now that the series is over.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I've started GOT from the beginning. On episode 2, and this gave me chills when Ned Stark and Jon Snow part and Ned says "next time we meet, we'll talk about your mother."

So much more insight when you look back at everything now that the series is over.

The fact that Sean Bean knew the truth about Jon and added that layer into his performance is incredible. Really shows how talented he is.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

The 'Game of Thrones' prequel filming has begun and fans will recognize the location

Quote:
HBO previously said Naomi Watts will play "a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret" in the project from creators Jane Goldman and George R.R. Martin.

That's a good start.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The fact that Sean Bean knew the truth about Jon and added that layer into his performance is incredible. Really shows how talented he is.

Just got past the part where Ned and Cersei have that candid conversation where he tells her that he knows that she and Jamie were making whoopies and babies.

It's just surreal re-watching it all from the beginning after the series ended. Really recommend it.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What makes you think Sean Bean knew who was Jon's father. That part of the story likely wasn't written at that point in filming. Bean's character Ned would have of course known.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What makes you think Sean Bean knew who was Jon's father. That part of the story likely wasn't written at that point in filming. Bean's character Ned would have of course known.

IIRC, George RR Martin told Sean the secret (along with the showrunners). GRRM did not - and still doesn't - know all the details for the story but he knows all of the major points, it's why his foreshadowing is so damn good.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

I'm on Episode 8, soon before Ned Stark is beheaded (Spoiler alert).

So sad to watch Ned just go down in flames again. And not sure I'm ready for several seasons of Joffrey's mug either.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm on Episode 8, soon before Ned Stark is beheaded (Spoiler alert).

So sad to watch Ned just go down in flames again. And not sure I'm ready for several seasons of Joffrey's mug either.

Joffrey made me appreciate characters like Tyrion and Tywnn, who weren't intimidated by him and looked to check him at every opportunity, even more.

For being the star of the show, the majority of Tyrion's best scenes came in seasons 2-4 when he was in King's Landing IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 246 of 247
Jump to: