Official Game of Thrones Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 245, 246, 247  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

How about Tyrion teams back up with Cersei and Jamie for the Lannister long-con double cross destroying Dany, Snow, and Sansa in the process of using some Qyburn developed magic to also take out the white walkers? Then Arya can later assassinate Cersei and Jamie (who moryally wounds Arya in the attack) so their incest baby ascends to the Iron Throne with Tyrion as regent as Gendry comes to discover his true lineage.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I'll go with the White Walkers winning.

This would be great.

I don't know . . . makes everything completely pointless, which is a way to go I suppose, but very lazy.

I disagree that it would be lazy. If that's the way they wanted to go you couldn't say they didn't lay the groundwork for it since the beginning of the show (you could even say they teased it in the show's tagline). But I don't think they're going to do this.

Just because you see them in the initial scene of the series and they have been this threatening force throughout doesn't mean it supports that type of ending. There's been no deep dive into detailing their origins. They are an entity, not a "character" of substance. Even the Night King is just a thing.

So again, it would be a totally lazy ending with zero going for it other than shock and spectacle, which would be a total waste of all the intricate storytelling that has gone on.

I think there's some interesting commentary there should they triumph that's more interesting to me than anyone heroically defeating an enemy that I completely agree isn't really a character at all. But again, I don't think this is how it will end.

There would be if they had been handled differently, as I illustrated above. But without that development, there's nothing interesting about seeing them be the ultimate victor.

This particular ending only really works if they're a force, a consuming virus, not as developed characters. The opposite actually doesn't work, where we're supposed to care much if anyone vanquishes them.

Obviously I couldn't disagree more. It just gets back to what I was saying about it all being pointless if all that storytelling just culminates in some outside force just marches in and crushes it all without any meaningful development.

Now if the pointlessness of all the actions and efforts of the people in the Seven Kingdoms was the whole point, that could be an interesting ending. But not without the groundwork to actually make it an interesting and thought provoking end rather than simply a stunning one.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

How about Tyrion teams back up with Cersei and Jamie for the Lannister long-con double cross destroying Dany, Snow, and Sansa in the process of using some Qyburn developed magic to also take out the white walkers? Then Arya can later assassinate Cersei and Jamie (who moryally wounds Arya in the attack) so their incest baby ascends to the Iron Throne with Tyrion as regent as Gendry comes to discover his true lineage.

Then you would have some actual storytelling.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

The whole show is about a pointless, bloody power struggle in the face of an advancing external threat that renders every other human machination meaningless. All of the people vying for the Iron Throne are despotic, sociopathic aholes to varying degrees. They all deserve to die.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
I'll go with the White Walkers winning.

This would be great.

I don't know . . . makes everything completely pointless, which is a way to go I suppose, but very lazy.

I disagree that it would be lazy. If that's the way they wanted to go you couldn't say they didn't lay the groundwork for it since the beginning of the show (you could even say they teased it in the show's tagline). But I don't think they're going to do this.

Just because you see them in the initial scene of the series and they have been this threatening force throughout doesn't mean it supports that type of ending. There's been no deep dive into detailing their origins. They are an entity, not a "character" of substance. Even the Night King is just a thing.

So again, it would be a totally lazy ending with zero going for it other than shock and spectacle, which would be a total waste of all the intricate storytelling that has gone on.

I think there's some interesting commentary there should they triumph that's more interesting to me than anyone heroically defeating an enemy that I completely agree isn't really a character at all. But again, I don't think this is how it will end.

There would be if they had been handled differently, as I illustrated above. But without that development, there's nothing interesting about seeing them be the ultimate victor.

This particular ending only really works if they're a force, a consuming virus, not as developed characters. The opposite actually doesn't work, where we're supposed to care much if anyone vanquishes them.

Obviously I couldn't disagree more. It just gets back to what I was saying about it all being pointless if all that storytelling just culminates in some outside force just marches in and crushes it all without any meaningful development.

Now if the pointlessness of all the actions and efforts of the people in the Seven Kingdoms was the whole point, that could be an interesting ending. But not without the groundwork to actually make it an interesting and thought provoking end rather than simply a stunning one.

I think our main bone of contention is that I think they laid a lot more of that groundwork than you think.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

The whole show is about a pointless, bloody power struggle in the face of an advancing external threat that renders every other human machination meaningless. All of the people vying for the Iron Throne are despotic, sociopathic aholes to varying degrees. They all deserve to die.

It peaked at Emilia Clarke's butt, imo.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

"When dead men and worse come hunting for us in the night, do you think it matters who sits on the Iron Throne?"

This would be something to explore should the WW's win. How human's tend to focus on small problems and squabbling hoping that the bigger problems aren't real or are simply too large more most to wrap their head around so they dismiss it.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
"When dead men and worse come hunting for us in the night, do you think it matters who sits on the Iron Throne?"

This would be something to explore should the WW's win. How human's tend to focus on small problems and squabbling hoping that the bigger problems aren't real or are simply too large more most to wrap their head around so they dismiss it.

Unless you can take your Iron Fleet back to the Iron Islands
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

yeah, but if you are going to peak, Emilia Clarke's thick butt is a solid option.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think our main bone of contention is that I think they laid a lot more of that groundwork than you think.

To each his own. To my mind, such an ending at this point is unearned.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

yeah, but if you are going to peak, Emilia Clarke's thick butt is a solid option.

But BOOBIES!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Emilia as Sarah Connor, 1984. Her face fits in with that 80s hair, I can see it.

http://i2.wp.com/www.theterminatorfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/new-sarah-connor.jpg
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

My vision:
The White Walkers emerge victorious after killing everyone in heartbreaking fashion leaving viewers utterly stunned as our favorite characters strewn about the battlefield rise to join the army of the dead. The camera slowly zooms in on the Night King, his frozen face filling the screen, and then gradually pulls back, back, farther still showing the entirety of the known lands and all civilization laid to waste and frozen. The camera keeps pulling back until we discover that the entire GoT world exists within a game board played by the Gods. The one playing the pieces for Team Night King is enjoying his victory as the others bustle about resetting the board. Cities rebuild (as in the opening credits) and characters reanimate for another Game

of Thrones.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
My vision:
The White Walkers emerge victorious after killing everyone in heartbreaking fashion leaving viewers utterly stunned as our favorite characters strewn about the battlefield rise to join the army of the dead. The camera slowly zooms in on the Night King, his frozen face filling the screen, and then gradually pulls back, back, farther still showing the entirety of the known lands and all civilization laid to waste and frozen. The camera keeps pulling back until we discover that the entire GoT world exists within a game board played by the Gods. The one playing the pieces for Team Night King is enjoying his victory as the others bustle about resetting the board. Cities rebuild (as in the opening credits) and characters reanimate for another Game

of Thrones.

written and directed by m night shamalamadingdong
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
My vision:

of Thrones.

Now THAT would be awesome if the White Walkers do "win it all".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Bran has a plan . . .

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
My vision:

of Thrones.

If GRRM finished the books. I could see that type of ending. But I don't think GOT will make any commentary on the real world. It'll just be a self-contained fantasy that doesn't comment on the world the writer lives in.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
My vision:

of Thrones.

If GRRM finished the books. I could see that type of ending. But I don't think GOT will make any commentary on the real world. It'll just be a self-contained fantasy that doesn't comment on the world the writer lives in.

. . . and we see that the "Dungeon Master" of the game being is played is "Sam Tarley" in name and image.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

How about this? Jon Snow sacrifices himself to become the new Night King after killing the current Night King and then leads the WWs back north while the undead find peace in the cold, cold ground.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

How about this? Jon Snow sacrifices himself to become the new Night King after killing the current Night King because he kills Danny, and then leads the WWs back north while the undead find peace in the cold, cold ground.

FIFY, now I’m good with that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

How about this? Jon Snow sacrifices himself to become the new Night King after killing the current Night King and then leads the WWs back north while the undead find peace in the cold, cold ground.

That strikes me as plausible. He's already living on borrowed time.
I have to say I'm partial to your "WW as climate change" allegory though.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

the white walkers are netflix

dany is disney

cersei is big hollywood

everyone else is quality IP
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

It’d be a real cop out though.

There’s no way GRRM wrote those books with that intent. I’m all for something evolving over the cycle of its conception, but that would be out of those bounds.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:

There’s no way GRRM wrote those books with that intent. I’m all for something evolving over the cycle of its conception, but that would be out of those bounds.

He's said he wrote them about petty internecine squabbles taking place in the face of catastrophic, existential threats that should unite humanity. Whether he intended it as a direct metaphor to "global warming" when he first started writing isn't especially interesting, imo, since 1) the series is its own entity and 2) the author is dead, Roland Barthes, etc.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:

Sure but he's described his writing process as tending to a garden and seeing where it ends. His central thesis was definitely about humanity squabbling amongst each other when an existential threat comes and faces them. Most likely he didn't have global warming in mind at the time but it makes a lot of sense given what we know in 2019 vs. 1996.

edit: I see BVH already said this, plus la mort de l'auteur etc
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 245, 246, 247  Next
Page 207 of 247
Jump to: