The Lakers #34 pick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: The Lakers #34 pick

The Clippers took away the early 50's pick, but here are some general names to watch now that most of the NCAA players have declared.

Joseph Young - Scoring PG, dead eye shooter. Like a junior version of Stephen Curry; was an undersized SG, turned into PG his senior year, completely different player. NBA level jump shot.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joseph-Young-41330/

Juwan Staten - Aaron Brooks type.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Juwan-Staten-20264/

Branden Dawson - Ruben Patterson type. 6'5", 6'11" wingspan. Elite rebounder by size.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Branden-Dawson-6246/

Chris Walker - Athletic clay. MAJOR project.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Walker-6457/

Moussa Diagne - Athletic Clay PF/C
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Moussa-Diagne-7126/

Rakeem Christmas - C/PF; elite swatter, rebounder. Energy. Bouncy.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rakeem-Christmas-5722/

Richaun Holmes - PF/SF, elite athleticism, average jumpshot, great physical tools.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Richaun-Holmes-65912/

Jordan Mickey - PF, undersized. Elite rebounder/swatter. 9.9, 3.5
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Mickey-7104/

Anthony Brown - SF 3 and D.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Brown-6222/

Dakari Johnson.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dakari-Johnson-6470/

Personally, I'm just enamored with Joseph Young's shooting.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Young looks legit! I've never seen him before but would be very happy with him at 34. I'm going to look into him more and I've liked walked for a while but he seems like a knuckle head
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Rakeem Christmas looks promising. Hoping for Timothe Luwawu, Justin Anderson or George lucas dropping to us here.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject:

I've seen some Curry in J.Young too. They have very similar form/releases.

And you know I like Richaun Holmes as a small ball center. Skilled Tarik Black imo, 3s and handle

Those are the 2 guys I like at that pick. Luwawu too.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

A guy Young's height has to have the PG skills to support his shooting habit. Otherwise he becomes a slightly bigger Aaron Brooks or Isaiah Thomas. Great scoring PGs who get traded from team to team because they have glaring weaknesses too.

But if he can defend PGs ok, and make the simple passes well, then sure, let's take him.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

Yeah between the HOU and 2nd round picks, I'd love for us to go after a waterbug-type PG and 3&D wing.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I talked to some guys that went to high school with Chris Walker, and they say he was the laziest player they ever played with. I wouldn't take him after some of the things I heard about him.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject:

Norman Powell (G, Sr., UCLA, 6'4" 215) has potential that reminds me of a young Tony Allen. He's a small wing, not a distributor or a deep threat. He made his bones as a tenacious defender with good length and mobility, good elevation, as an excellent driver of the ball, high finishing power around the rim, with durability. Needs to improve jumper's reliability and develop the midrange floater. Currently projected a #27-#35 pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject:

Young is interesting. However, not sure Lakers will bring in 3 more rookies this year. Maybe they trade away the Houston or 2nd round picks. Just too many young players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Joseph Young is late on the map because he's not perceived as a tradtiional PG, but rather a spot up SG.

They gave him the keys to the team and then Oregon started having success late.

Good size at PG. Good, not great athleticism. But, in the case of 2nd round picks, sometimes you're looking for 3-and-D types or 1 specific NBA skills.

There's no question about his shooting.

I even think he'd fit very well next to Clarkson. Clarkson can dominate the ball. Joseph Young is comfortable on and off-the-ball. That's how Ellington and Brown succeeded next to Clarkson this season.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
A guy Young's height has to have the PG skills to support his shooting habit. Otherwise he becomes a slightly bigger Aaron Brooks or Isaiah Thomas. Great scoring PGs who get traded from team to team because they have glaring weaknesses too.

But if he can defend PGs ok, and make the simple passes well, then sure, let's take him.

He's bigger than Aaron Brooks by nearly half a foot. Same for Isaiah Thomas.

If that's the case, he's a steal at #34.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Young is interesting. However, not sure Lakers will bring in 3 more rookies this year. Maybe they trade away the Houston or 2nd round picks. Just too many young players.

Talent accumulation mode. Easier to decide who to keep and lure attractive trade offers with good prospects.

1since71
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

if he is still there I take Rakeem Christmas.I think he will make his way into the end of the first round though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Aside from Dakari Johnson, all of the players on the list played on par or even better than expectations.

Jordan Mickey is the guy who is killing it in 5 on 5 play with BUNCHES of blocked shots, some 20' range, and paint play.

That may have earned him and Rakeem Christmas the 1st round.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, if guys that were 2nd round are moving to 1st, then some 1st rounders go to the second. Maybe a nice player drops into our lap
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Well, if guys that were 2nd round are moving to 1st, then some 1st rounders go to the second. Maybe a nice player drops into our lap

Perhaps, but there's not always a guy in the first round that I personally like.

jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Clippers took away the early 50's pick, but here are some general names to watch now that most of the NCAA players have declared.

Joseph Young - Scoring PG, dead eye shooter. Like a junior version of Stephen Curry; was an undersized SG, turned into PG his senior year, completely different player. NBA level jump shot.

He clearly has all the shooting metrics down pat, and that combined with his 40 inch vertical makes him slightly more interesting. But I still see him as a 6'2" SG, and for all that athleticism it's poorly reflected in his rebound rate and steal rates, which are outlier-y bad. His passing rate is also outlier-y bad for his size. Unfortunately for him, these metrics are very, very predictive across the years. He can shoot, and prior to this season actually drew fouls well, but if he can't exactly defend or pass, things I'm definitely questioning, I think there's bigger fish to be had in the 2nd round. The year Curry was drafted, he had a perfect storm of excellent two-point percentages, elite steal rate, PG-potential assist rate, and good rebound rate by size. Young has none of that going for him.

Mike@LG wrote:
Juwan Staten - Aaron Brooks type.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Juwan-Staten-20264/

Not draft material by the model. He's a pass-first PG with some scoring chops, but he struggles to hit twos and rarely takes threes. Tough customer who draws fouls, but I don't think that will be enough. Will be 23 soon, and steal rate is subpar.

Mike@LG wrote:
Branden Dawson - Ruben Patterson type. 6'5", 6'11" wingspan. Elite rebounder by size.

He's interesting. My early models liked the guy enough to be early 2nd last year, but after I adjusted the model to account for three point attempts by size, he fell. He reminds me of Junkyard Dog back in the old days. Top notch rebounder, tough customer defender with steals and blocks, looks completely the part on one end of the court. But the other end?...his jumper is broke. All indicators. No three point range. Submarine free throw shooting. I think he's very close to be drafted, especially since he has some underrated passing skill...he's 62nd in one of my mocks. Personally, going against my mock, I think he'd be an interesting 2nd round buy.

Mike@LG wrote:
Chris Walker - Athletic clay. MAJOR project.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Walker-6457/

77th in my mock. There are many cases of athletic headcases with no game. He's one of those guys.

Mike@LG wrote:
Moussa Diagne - Athletic Clay PF/C
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Moussa-Diagne-7126/

Look, Ibaka and Capela destroyed my metrics if you're hunting for the next great African shotblocker. This guy didn't (he ranked 76th). I think there's a greater chance he's the next Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje or Olumide Oyedeji rather than those guys.

Mike@LG wrote:
Rakeem Christmas - C/PF; elite swatter, rebounder. Energy. Bouncy.

Models destroy guys who are age outliers, with few exceptions. Christmas isn't interesting enough anywhere to overcome that large hurdle. I understand he killed it in the measurements and did well for himself this past week, but that's why I can't go for these measurements/microcosm type playing fields, when the whole macrocosm of seasonal data are available. I'm not going to override that.

Mike@LG wrote:
Richaun Holmes - PF/SF, elite athleticism, average jumpshot, great physical tools.

Unlike Christmas, Holmes was already doing well in my metrics before the past week, so his stellar play kind of just cemented my opinion of him. 35th. Dude will be a very good get in the early 2nd round, that's for sure. I think the late 1st is a bit rich for him.

Mike@LG wrote:
Jordan Mickey - PF, undersized. Elite rebounder/swatter. 9.9, 3.5

Mickey ranks 87th, but I almost feel like I want to override the model's ranking a bit because I think the model docks by lack of threes and extremely awful assist and turnover rates by height--something that really made him look bad, and apparently has been very predictive in the past. Otherwise, he's an excellent rebounder and shotblocker by height. I'm tempted to take a look, especially knowing he had an 8 block game recently.

Mike@LG wrote:
Anthony Brown - SF 3 and D.

I know he looks the part, but he's 108th, and statistically, good luck finding something that would catch your eye.

Mike@LG wrote:
Dakari Johnson.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dakari-Johnson-6470/

Johnson's a really, really weird case for me. All my metrics really love him, the principal one putting him at 21st in this draft. I guess his insane foul drawing rate is somehow more predictive than usual, and his rebounding and shotblocking are solid by size. But I'm not that enamored personally. Dude has a low field goal percentage, and his stock became really shot after he put a 25 inch vertical this past week. I'm not as high as the model is on this guy.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Norman Powell (G, Sr., UCLA, 6'4" 215) has potential that reminds me of a young Tony Allen. He's a small wing, not a distributor or a deep threat. He made his bones as a tenacious defender with good length and mobility, good elevation, as an excellent driver of the ball, high finishing power around the rim, with durability. Needs to improve jumper's reliability and develop the midrange floater. Currently projected a #27-#35 pick.

Powell is one guy I think could be a major sleeper. He doesn't rank well statistically whatsoever, but Jordan Clarkson didn't either. One thing Powell really has going for him is how he's able to create all these unassisted shots at the rim--at over three, he's in great company for guards in the past three to four years. Clarkson had that going for him. Damian Lillard too. Powell has that, plus a 6'10" wingspan and a sick vertical--all those things make me willing to look past his decrepit stats and use a 2nd rounder on him, as these side things are usually predictive in the NBA.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

jorkerjork wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Powell is one guy I think could be a major sleeper. He doesn't rank well statistically whatsoever, but Jordan Clarkson didn't either. One thing Powell really has going for him is how he's able to create all these unassisted shots at the rim--at over three, he's in great company for guards in the past three to four years. Clarkson had that going for him. Damian Lillard too. Powell has that, plus a 6'10" wingspan and a sick vertical--all those things make me willing to look past his decrepit stats and use a 2nd rounder on him, as these side things are usually predictive in the NBA.

Norman has decent lateral quickness as a defender, but so far he's a straight-ahead guy only with the ball. His handle on the move is a little vulnerable compared to many, which seemed to limit his ability to change speed or direction much on dribble drives. If he learns to change speeds a bit and add a little composure on direction changes, who knows ...
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
jorkerjork wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Norman has decent lateral quickness as a defender, but so far he's a straight-ahead guy only with the ball. His handle on the move is a little vulnerable compared to many, which seemed to limit his ability to change speed or direction much on dribble drives. If he learns to change speeds a bit and add a little composure on direction changes, who knows ...

Here's a review of a workout this weekend:
Quote:
Norman Powell, SG, UCLA
Powell rose up the draft boards after a terrific summer showing at LeBron's camp. His newfound jumper, complementing his elite explosive athletic ability, has led to a lot of talk that Powell could end up being a late-first-round pick.

His senior season at UCLA was a good one. He averaged career highs in points (16.4) rebounds (4.7) and steals (1.8). However, his jump shot still was a major work in progress; he hit just 32 percent from 3 as a senior. Combine that with Powell's lack of elite size for his position (he stands just 6-foot-4 in shoes) and his stock has hovered in the late second round.

Powell is athletic and has improved every season at UCLA, so he's experiencing some "helium" in his draft stock of late.

But there's been a bit of a Powell resurgence of late from NBA scouts who feel his elite athleticism and defensive abilities might make him worth a higher draft slot. Powell shot the ball much better at the draft combine and at the workout in L.A. on Friday. But that doesn't seem to be what is bringing scouts around.

"I think he's the type of guy who just will figure it out," one NBA scout said. "He's mentally tough, he's physically tough, and I love how hard he works. He's gotten better every year at UCLA, and I know he can come in and defend right now. He's the type of second-round guy who works his butt off until he sticks."
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Joseph Young is late on the map because he's not perceived as a tradtiional PG, but rather a spot up SG.

They gave him the keys to the team and then Oregon started having success late.

Good size at PG. Good, not great athleticism. But, in the case of 2nd round picks, sometimes you're looking for 3-and-D types or 1 specific NBA skills.

There's no question about his shooting.

I even think he'd fit very well next to Clarkson. Clarkson can dominate the ball. Joseph Young is comfortable on and off-the-ball. That's how Ellington and Brown succeeded next to Clarkson this season.

I was about to suggest Joseph Young, but of course you were on it already.

I just love his skillset. He would be a available at 34 namely b/c his 'ceiling' is very low (age). Bit undersized for a combo guard; could do worse than skip out on a Pac-12 POY here.

Workout Vid
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm with you guys on Young. He actually reminds me of Nick Van Exel, with his herky-jerky style. If he can defend a position in the NBA, he'll be good scoring punch off of the bench, in a Lou Williams kind of mold. If not, he'll make a lot of money in Europe.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

This is still one of my favorite highlight reels of the current class.

All of these are NBA level shots, right down to the level of competition in the tournament.

I don't even think he needs to defend THAT well next level, but I have a hunch he'll improve.

Who knows, maybe he'll miss at the NBA level, but I haven't felt that sure about a shooter that was a second rounder since Khris Middleton.

Same generic idea. Solid size by position, above average athleticism, enough, to very good ball-handling, but seems to convert at a high rate in spot ups, off-the-dribble, off-balance, all areas of the floor.

But Joe Young has shown he can split PnR situations and pull up. That's a BIG dimension.

I even think he takes the same exact shots as Curry.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Totally agree that he doesn't have to be a great defender on the next level, Mike...just good enough to stay on the court. For some reason I left him off of my last list (I just forgot), but he's a Top 30 player in this draft, IMO.

With the way that the positional lines are being blurred in the NBA, I don't even think he really needs to develop much as a PG. On the right team, he can just come in and do his thing, exactly as he is now.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Totally agree that he doesn't have to be a great defender on the next level, Mike...just good enough to stay on the court. For some reason I left him off of my last list (I just forgot), but he's a Top 30 player in this draft, IMO.

With the way that the positional lines are being blurred in the NBA, I don't even think he really needs to develop much as a PG. On the right team, he can just come in and do his thing, exactly as he is now.

Agreed. Since Clarkson is a definitive slasher, a guy like Young spotting up just seems ideal.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: