THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1690, 1691, 1692 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
So Kavanaugh is the scumbag sexual predator we thought he was; the FBI "investigation" was a sham like we knew it was; Republican Senators were told of allegations from eye witnesses before the hearings even started like we knew they were; and all the Republican Senators voted yes anyway because they don't give a damn about women or applying the rule of law to powerful white men. The last minute FBI "background" check was a sham, like we knew it was, and served only as a fig leaf to give "moderate" GOP senators an excuse to vote yes. #KavanaughLied #ImpeachKavanaugh

Reason 10,042 to win back the Senate.

An alcholic, a rapist and a liar walk into a bar . . .

They promote 'em and we push ours to retire.

Even though both parties do "it" (whatever the "it" du jour is).
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Bolton out
Saudi Arabia has massive drone strike on oil Wells
Trump gets to threaten Iran for supposed drone strike
Price of oil goes way up

False Flag?
RustyShackleford
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
So Kavanaugh is the scumbag sexual predator we thought he was; the FBI "investigation" was a sham like we knew it was; Republican Senators were told of allegations from eye witnesses before the hearings even started like we knew they were; and all the Republican Senators voted yes anyway because they don't give a damn about women or applying the rule of law to powerful white men. The last minute FBI "background" check was a sham, like we knew it was, and served only as a fig leaf to give "moderate" GOP senators an excuse to vote yes. #KavanaughLied #ImpeachKavanaugh

I've been lurking for a really, really long time on LG but the amount of vitriol I see in these posts, let alone in this thread between posters and moderators, is reason number 10,042 to stay a lurker.

The tipping point for me is the knee-jerk reaction of many posters reacting to the mainstream news and media reports, and for this example, it's specifically for the judge and the perception of his guilt or innocence. It's bad enough the NYT who reported the story has now gone on record in an editorial note to clarify the story may or may not be as straight forward as it seems.

I thought the politicians, and ultimately many of the posters in this forum, would've learned their lesson from jumping the gun on that Smollett guy a few months back. Seems like most (or all) of them put their foot in their mouth (again) before fact-checking the story about the judge and either went full silence on their tweets or have attempted to remove the tweet but put it back on (AOC anyone?) because the last thing they'd want is to get blasted from the other side and perhaps... their own side.

I'd hate to be charged or accused of something before even a credible fact or witness is discovered. To think that I'm already guilty in your eyes and there's not a damn shred of trustworthy evidence that you can point to that will make you change your mind about me but you'll still hate me for whatever reason it is... that's scary.

I know this is the Off-Topic section but I am not delusional enough to think it has not spilled into the Lakers Lounge as well. I'm angry that this wonderful board has come to this. Welcome to Ground Zero of Partisan-ville. Population: each and every one of you throwing turd grenades at each other when you should be really throwing them at your neighborhood, city, and state representatives.

And before you accuse any of the posters here of having a burner account, I assure you it's not. I do feel with 100% certainty, however, that this idea was on a few poster's minds though before they even got to this section of my rant. This thread is more toxic than the waters in Flint, Michigan
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

RustyShackleford wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I've been lurking for a really, really long time on LG but the amount of vitriol I see in these posts, let alone in this thread between posters and moderators, is reason number 10,042 to stay a lurker.

The tipping point for me is the knee-jerk reaction of many posters reacting to the mainstream news and media reports, and for this example, it's specifically for the judge and the perception of his guilt or innocence. It's bad enough the NYT who reported the story has now gone on record in an editorial note to clarify the story may or may not be as straight forward as it seems.

I thought the politicians, and ultimately many of the posters in this forum, would've learned their lesson from jumping the gun on that Smollett guy a few months back. Seems like most (or all) of them put their foot in their mouth (again) before fact-checking the story about the judge and either went full silence on their tweets or have attempted to remove the tweet but put it back on (AOC anyone?) because the last thing they'd want is to get blasted from the other side and perhaps... their own side.

I'd hate to be charged or accused of something before even a credible fact or witness is discovered. To think that I'm already guilty in your eyes and there's not a damn shred of trustworthy evidence that you can point to that will make you change your mind about me but you'll still hate me for whatever reason it is... that's scary.

I know this is the Off-Topic section but I am not delusional enough to think it has not spilled into the Lakers Lounge as well. I'm angry that this wonderful board has come to this. Welcome to Ground Zero of Partisan-ville. Population: each and every one of you throwing turd grenades at each other when you should be really throwing them at your neighborhood, city, and state representatives.

And before you accuse any of the posters here of having a burner account, I assure you it's not. I do feel with 100% certainty, however, that this idea was on a few poster's minds though before they even got to this section of my rant. This thread is more toxic than the waters in Flint, Michigan

Thanks for adding your own useless vomit to the toxic sludge.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

RustyShackleford wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Reason 10,043 to stay a lurker: see above.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

RustyShackleford wrote:

Nice try. There was a lengthy confirmation hearing for Kavanaugh that presented exactly that. This idea that people are just rushing to unsubstantiated judgement for him is completely inaccurate.

But thanks for playing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Kavanaugh is a Perjurer

He also got an army of cucks to change terms

Like Devil's Triangle into a drinking game but Kavanaugh knew it was about
Two men and one woman together fornicating

Boofing being part of the good justices past exploits

On the calendar, right?

Anyone who protects this appointment hates women.
If you support Trump you support hate
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw.

I'd like to know if those Saudi oil Wells needed new maintenance
This is all too convenient
Zero trust in Trump/MBS/Netanyahu/Jared
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

The funny thing is that Kavanaugh has faced zero consequences. Heck, he may have faced zero consequences his entire life. And the absolute worst thing that may happen to him (outside of untimely death) is being ceremoniously impeached and then remaining a lifetime Supreme Court Justice.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Bill Maher, like John Stewart is a comedian first and I actually felt sorry for Fox News hosts who would talk about Stewart as if he was a politician or journalist.
He was neither.
Neither is Maher. If you don't like his comedy, don't watch- simple as that.

I love his work- I also love the work of Bill Burr and another arrogant star- Kobe Bryant.

I am able to separate the art from the artist.

But I get where people are coming from- the way some dislike Maher, I felt about Michael Jackson and Bill Cosby...

Stewart was and remains a different animal. We could use a lot more like him. He did the funny because it was his job but he did so much more. Two of my favorite videos are when he literally destroyed crossfire and Jim Kramer.

In both cases, if they are you watched with no context , you would immediately see that the hosts are way out of their weight class.

Yeah, my favorite ever was his interview with goofy Chris Wallace.
I enjoyed that Stewart had no qualms going on Fox shows in person and out debating with humor, every time.

Humor, but also with a sense of passion and clarity about what's right, what's decent, and what is fair. His perspective and voice is sorely missed.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

So all the women accusing Kavanaugh, and the male and female witnesses corroborating their stories -- all liars?

The 20 women accusing Trump of varying degrees of sexual assault and rape -- all liars?

The women accusing Epstein -- all liars?

The women accusing Weinstein -- all liars?

What kind of logic concludes that because a specific individual (Smollet) fabricated an assault, that therefore everyone who ever accuses a famous person of assault must also be fabricating their story? Faulty logic, that's what kind of logic. Not worth coming out of lurk mode for that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:

Nice try. There was a lengthy confirmation hearing for Kavanaugh that presented exactly that. This idea that people are just rushing to unsubstantiated judgement for him is completely inaccurate.

But thanks for playing.

Lets assume all sexual assault allegations were wrong. A HUGE illogical assumption. But we'll still give Kavanaugh that unjustly.

He should still be impeached.
He lied under oath numerous times in his conformation hearing. Devil's triangle is a drinking game? "Boofing" is farting?

How greedy can conservatives be? Having a sexual predator confirmed to the highest court in the land isn't enough. He has to be a liar (under oath) too.

Are you poor? Well, if you lie under oath. Perjury. Up to 5 years in jail.

Are you rich and well connected? Congrats. You lied under oath. You can be a Supreme Court judge.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Just read this for the first time today:

Quote:
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy. -Abraham Lincoln, 1855

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

My issue is really Maher's hypocrisy. He'll complain about "social justice warriors" and the "me too movement" as much as possible and then have a guest on that talks about anti-semitism and he'll spend the whole time agreeing with them. Zero self awareness. It's alright for people to be offended and for them to stand up against discrimination they perceive. If Bill perceives it as well. Otherwise you're just a far left liberal who won't help Dems win any elections.

I think the reason Maher criticizes those people is because of their alleged overt political correctness, and especially how it turns off non-liberals. He agrees with their stance on equality, justice and liberty, but it's the messaging he doesn't like. Remember, his original show was called "Politically Incorrect".

As a hard core liberal/progressive, I like how Maher interviews conservatives and criticizes some liberals. And, you know what, when he criticizes our fellow liberals for stuff like political correctness and failing to criticize Muslim/middle eastern culture, I agree with him because he sounds so common sense.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

This Kavanaugh, if Dems can pull it off, can be mega (not maga) huge. If successfully impeached, dems can hold off on appointing another SCJ since GOP has set presedence regarding POTUS appointing SCJ in his last year/on election year, along with the concern for RBG health (incase she has to retire prior to election), we can end up with 5-4 progressive majority
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Bill Maher, like John Stewart is a comedian first and I actually felt sorry for Fox News hosts who would talk about Stewart as if he was a politician or journalist.
He was neither.
Neither is Maher. If you don't like his comedy, don't watch- simple as that.

I love his work- I also love the work of Bill Burr and another arrogant star- Kobe Bryant.

I am able to separate the art from the artist.

But I get where people are coming from- the way some dislike Maher, I felt about Michael Jackson and Bill Cosby...

Stewart was and remains a different animal. We could use a lot more like him. He did the funny because it was his job but he did so much more. Two of my favorite videos are when he literally destroyed crossfire and Jim Kramer.

In both cases, if they are you watched with no context , you would immediately see that the hosts are way out of their weight class.

Yeah, my favorite ever was his interview with goofy Chris Wallace.
I enjoyed that Stewart had no qualms going on Fox shows in person and out debating with humor, every time.

Humor, but also with a sense of passion and clarity about what's right, what's decent, and what is fair. His perspective and voice is sorely missed.

And this is where Maher departs so much that it's a total turnoff. Maher's not passionate, he's just aggressively tenacious, which isn't necessarily bad, but in Maher's case "what's right" is "I'm right" and he is devoid of decency. For example, when he attacks people like Stan Lee and comic boo fans and then doubles down when he rightly gets blow back for it, it's the antithesis of what makes John Stewart so good and so compelling.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This Kavanaugh, if Dems can pull it off, can be mega (not maga) huge. If successfully impeached, dems can hold off on appointing another SCJ since GOP has set presedence regarding POTUS appointing SCJ in his last year/on election year, along with the concern for RBG health (incase she has to retire prior to election), we can end up with 5-4 progressive majority

The bar for removing Justice Brett Kavanaugh by impeachment is so high as to be insurmountable. But there may be another way.

How to remove Brett Kavanaugh without impeaching him
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

Imagine lurking this thread and never being upset enough to post a reaction to children being locked in cages; or the vast number of corruption stories at every level of the Trump administration; or the evidence of the President lying to the American people almost 20,000 times as documented in Washington Post and NYT; or writer E.G. Carroll telling her graphic story of how Trump raped her; or the EPA rolling back regulations allowing toxic chemicals to once again be dumped into the nation's water supply, food supply and air; Trump's outrageous twitter attacks on both private and public citizens, people of color, news organizations including name calling, bullying, threats, intimidation and coercion and violence inciting rhetoric; you watch the US pull out of the Paris accords and while the world's climate warms at alarming rates producing record high temperatures, hurricanes, fires and crop failures you watch the Trump administration fire scientists in mass, put gas, oil and coal executives in charge of energy policy which includes denying climate change and rolling back decades of energy policy and pollution standards.

So imagine you have nothing to say about any of that, but the thing that really gets your goat and provokes you to respond is the perceived "unfair" treatment of Brett Kavanaugh now that new witnesses have told their stories to the press. And you can keep quiet no longer and spring to his defense because you know, now that there is more corroboration for Christine Blasey Ford's compelling and graphic testimony that was deemed credible by the majority of the country yet earned her nothing but death threats, is just a bridge to far. The real victim here, the victim worth defending, is Brett Kavanaugh.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Imagine lurking this thread and never being upset enough to post a reaction to children being locked in cages; or the vast number of corruption stories at every level of the Trump administration; or the evidence of the President lying to the American people almost 20,000 times as documented in Washington Post and NYT; or writer E.G. Carroll telling her graphic story of how Trump raped her; or the EPA rolling back regulations allowing toxic chemicals to once again be dumped into the nation's water supply, food supply and air; Trump's outrageous twitter attacks on both private and public citizens, people of color, news organizations including name calling, bullying, threats, intimidation and coercion and violence inciting rhetoric; you watch the US pull out of the Paris accords and while the world's climate warms at alarming rates producing record high temperatures, hurricanes, fires and crop failures you watch the Trump administration fire scientists in mass, put gas, oil and coal executives in charge of energy policy which includes denying climate change and rolling back decades of energy policy and pollution standards.

So imagine you have nothing to say about any of that, but the thing that really gets your goat and provokes you to respond is the perceived "unfair" treatment of Brett Kavanaugh now that new witnesses have told their stories to the press. And you can keep quiet no longer and spring to his defense because you know, now that there is more corroboration for Christine Blasey Ford's compelling and graphic testimony that was deemed credible by the majority of the country yet earned her nothing but death threats, is just a bridge to far. The real victim here, the victim worth defending, is Brett Kavanaugh.

Well said.

Sadly, we've more than imagined this and much more. The only "good" out of these last two and a half years or so, is that the curtain has been pulled back and we can see who these people who call themselves Republicans and who support Trump ~85% of the time . . . we can see who they really are.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Well said.

Sadly, we've more than imagined this and much more. The only "good" out of these last two and a half years or so, is that the curtain has been pulled back and we can see who these people who call themselves Republicans and who support Trump ~85% of the time . . . we can see who they really are.

Indeed on both.

The moral character of this country has been profoundly challenged over the last 3 years and the response has revealed a great deal about everyone across the political spectrum - whether they have stood up to the decline in the values, ideals and conventions that have previously defined this nation, or defended and excused the actions of those who want to strip them away.

People get to choose where they fall in that regard. And that choice will be noted an remembered.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject:

Clarence Thomas anyone?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Well said.

Sadly, I look forward to the Stephen Miller reputation rehabilitation tour in twelve years cheered on from bleachers filled with "but muh civil-tee!" bad faith simpletons like our lurker friend.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Clarence Thomas anyone?

I was just as upset during his confirmation hearings and was just as outspoken back then. Hard to believe, I know.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
kikanga wrote:

My issue is really Maher's hypocrisy. He'll complain about "social justice warriors" and the "me too movement" as much as possible and then have a guest on that talks about anti-semitism and he'll spend the whole time agreeing with them. Zero self awareness. It's alright for people to be offended and for them to stand up against discrimination they perceive. If Bill perceives it as well. Otherwise you're just a far left liberal who won't help Dems win any elections.

I think the reason Maher criticizes those people is because of their alleged overt political correctness, and especially how it turns off non-liberals. He agrees with their stance on equality, justice and liberty, but it's the messaging he doesn't like. Remember, his original show was called "Politically Incorrect".

As a hard core liberal/progressive, I like how Maher interviews conservatives and criticizes some liberals. And, you know what, when he criticizes our fellow liberals for stuff like political correctness and failing to criticize Muslim/middle eastern culture, I agree with him because he sounds so common sense.

I just want consistency. Otherwise he'll continue to be the narcissistic hypocrite he is today. The same issues he has with "SJWs" and "Me Too-ers" could easily be applied to topics he passionately fights for. He dislikes "SJWs" because he had a show of his own cancelled. He dislikes "Me-Tooers" because he's received backlash several times for either defending sexual predators or straight up saying statutory rape isn't rape if it's a woman who is doing it. Everything feeds back to his own little bubble. The Michael Moore interview really showed that.

I don't mind his conservative guests when they aren't Breitbart trolls (Milo) or Russian stooges (Assange).
I'm not gonna pick sides between the Jewish vs. Muslim relations. Not educated enough on the topic. Will just say Bill could easily bring on better guests to defend the other POV. There are tons of well informed people on Twitter with checkmarks who have been begging him for an invite for a long time now.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Somehow, it's only he that exercises his free speech rights and fights against "political correctness," while people opposing him can't exercise those same rights when they rightly criticizes him. As has been said above, he's just a good old narcissist.

Granted, I do watch his show most of the time. And it's one of the few shows that I watch not for the host, but for the guests. And if the guests aren't good, the show becomes unwatchable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1690, 1691, 1692 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1691 of 3663
Jump to: