THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1800, 1801, 1802 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Yes don’t think, just vote. That’s a smart way to run a democracy.

The two party system is incredibly flawed as it is, let’s not make it even worse please. Analyze the candidates, figure out who you agree most with and vote. If you don’t think either are fit for the presidency, there is nothing wrong with not voting. And judging by how the Democratic primaries are going, that will unfortunately be the case for the second consecutive election. I hope in my lifetime the two party system will be removed.

If there was no tangible difference between the 2 parties. You'd have a point. But there is clearly a less worse option. And sitting out an election is how you get a President Trump in the first place.

No my point stands whether you see one party as better or not. I know people hate to hear it on here, but many reasonable people believe Hillary is a horrible person like Trump and felt like they had no good choice.

The 2016 President was either going to be Hillary or Trump. If there was a world where neither one of them would win, the sitting out would make more sense.
Nearly 40% of the electorate didn't vote in an election determined by less than 100,000 people in 3 states. By not voting, people indirectly allowed a person to win who undermines intelligence agencies, allows human rights abuses at our border (including child sexual assault), calls for the imprisonment of political rivals, refuses to give $ to Americans in Puerto Rico (leading to thousands of deaths), and wants to take away healthcare from 10s of thousands of Americans (another fatal choice).

Easy to say, "yuck, neither is perfect". But look into the eyes of the victims who have died and been assaulted. Things that wouldn't have happened if Trump lost. And tell them how important the "both sides are bad" beliefs are.

Choosing to sit out elections has consequences. I haven't even mentioned the Supreme Court. Or how issues like income and wealth inequality and the environment are worsening. And Trump is actively working to speed up the process.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:49 pm; edited 5 times in total
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Kanye West 2024

Lol 😎
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
Your credible source might be different then mine.

And then we can parse through sources, get to the facts, and figure out what's right. We can't do that with unsourced, hit & run attacks. See the difference?

Quote:
Is their anymore Trump supporters or just me on this thread? Before I was wrongly banned pointing out fake news I was told Trump supporters kids are like parasites did that person get banned?

Dunno -- cite? Maybe there was a warning, maybe there was a ban. Bans are typically for persistent behavior ignoring warnings and with no learning curve.

Quote:
I am actually respectful to others until I’m being miss treated and punch back.

Since this is an NBA forum I'll draw an NBA analogy and say that this action on the court in a literal sense will still get you suspended.

Quote:
I don’t mind a different opinion but it seems contrary to many here.

Not at all. It's not the opinion, it's the delivery and the support of that opinion. CL already described the problems in the post above -- read it again if you need to.

Quote:
I should be able to have freedom of speech here I hope that stands true.

Sigh. People who say their freedom of speech is being impeded often really mean that they want to be able to say what they want without consequences for what they say. It doesn't work that way. Others' freedom of speech gives them the same right to call you on what you say.

And that said, no, you really don't have freedom of speech here. That right extends to Congress and laws. You're free to say what you want, but that doesn't mean we're under any obligation to provide you a platform to say it. We welcome a dialog here, and welcome you to express any opinion or value so long as you adhere to the rules -- no hit & run, cite sources & provide support, etc. Don't like those rules? You're free to exercise your freedom of speech elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ribeye wrote:
I have three priorities: climate change, healthcare reform, and infrastructure repair and upgrade--in that order.

I accept the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that we need to keep the global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, and to to reach that goal, it is estimated that CO2 emissions would have to start dropping "well before 2030" and be on a path to fall by about 45 percent by around 2030.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27082019/12-years-climate-change-explained-ipcc-science-solutions

Yea we have some different priorities.

What, in your opinion, are our top 5 or 10 national problems?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Bloomberg expected to file in the Alabama Democratic primary, according to source. NBC is reporting it.

Not sure what this means. He might be waiting to see what happens before launching an actual campaign and before running in other states, according to Chuck Todd.

Great, another billionaire. If he is for universal healthcare, for taxing the mega rich (himself) more, for reigning in the out of control military spending, for free public college...we’ll then he might just have a chance.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Jeff Sessions announces that he's running for his old Senate seat in Alabama. I suppose he will be heavily favored to beat Doug Jones.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jeff Sessions announces that he's running for his old Senate seat in Alabama. I suppose he will be heavily favored to beat Doug Jones.

First he needs to overcome Roy Moore in the primary.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
realking24 wrote:

And then we can parse through sources, get to the facts, and figure out what's right. We can't do that with unsourced, hit & run attacks. See the difference?

Quote:
Is their anymore Trump supporters or just me on this thread? Before I was wrongly banned pointing out fake news I was told Trump supporters kids are like parasites did that person get banned?

Dunno -- cite? Maybe there was a warning, maybe there was a ban. Bans are typically for persistent behavior ignoring warnings and with no learning curve.

Quote:

Since this is an NBA forum I'll draw an NBA analogy and say that this action on the court in a literal sense will still get you suspended.

Quote:
I don’t mind a different opinion but it seems contrary to many here.

Not at all. It's not the opinion, it's the delivery and the support of that opinion. CL already described the problems in the post above -- read it again if you need to.

Quote:

Sigh. People who say their freedom of speech is being impeded often really mean that they want to be able to say what they want without consequences for what they say. It doesn't work that way. Others' freedom of speech gives them the same right to call you on what you say.

And that said, no, you really don't have freedom of speech here. That right extends to Congress and laws. You're free to say what you want, but that doesn't mean we're under any obligation to provide you a platform to say it. We welcome a dialog here, and welcome you to express any opinion or value so long as you adhere to the rules -- no hit & run, cite sources & provide support, etc. Don't like those rules? You're free to exercise your freedom of speech elsewhere.

Church.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"I rarely get emotional, if ever. I guess you'd call me hyper-rational, stoic. Yet as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country ... In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off of the office.'"

From Don Jr's new book. He's talking about Arlington National Cemetery.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quote:
"I rarely get emotional, if ever. I guess you'd call me hyper-rational, stoic. Yet as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country ... In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off of the office.'"

All the sacrifice

I think his family at least deserves to rename the cemetery Trump National Cemetery?

Join me in asking our Father to help the Country Honor the Trump Family for all their sacrifices
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

First he needs to overcome Roy Moore in the primary.

As well as Tommy Tuberville! Yes, the former college football coach.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Don Jr. wrote:
I rarely get emotional, if ever. I guess you'd call me hyper-aloof, uncaring, unsympathetic, sociopathic.

Fixed the typos.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Washington Post: Book by ‘Anonymous’ describes Trump as cruel, inept and a danger to the nation

Quote:
Senior Trump administration officials considered resigning en masse last year in a “midnight self-massacre” to sound a public alarm about President Trump’s conduct, but rejected the idea because they believed it would further destabilize an already teetering government, according to a new book by an unnamed author.

In “A Warning” by Anonymous, obtained by The Washington Post ahead of its release, a writer described only as “a senior official in the Trump administration” paints a chilling portrait of the president as cruel, inept and a danger to the nation he was elected to lead.

Quote:
The author describes senior officials waking up in the morning “in a full-blown panic” over the wild pronouncements the president had made on Twitter.

It’s like showing up at the nursing home at daybreak to find your elderly uncle running pantsless across the courtyard and cursing loudly about the cafeteria food, as worried attendants tried to catch him,” the author writes. “You’re stunned, amused, and embarrassed all at the same time. Only your uncle probably wouldn’t do it every single day, his words aren’t broadcast to the public, and he doesn’t have to lead the US government once he puts his pants on.”

Quote:
The book depicts Trump as making misogynistic and racist comments behind the scenes.

“I’ve sat and listened in uncomfortable silence as he talks about a woman’s appearance or performance,” the author writes. “He comments on makeup. He makes jokes about weight. He critiques clothing. He questions the toughness of women in and around his orbit. He uses words like ‘sweetie’ and ‘honey’ to address accomplished professionals. This is precisely the way a boss shouldn’t act in the work environment.”

Quote:
The author argues that Trump is incapable of leading the United States through a monumental international crisis, describing how he tunes out intelligence and national security briefings and theorizing that foreign adversaries see him as “a simplistic pushover” who is susceptible to flattery and easily manipulated.

Quote:
“I am not qualified to diagnose the president’s mental acuity,” the author writes. “All I can tell you is that normal people who spend any time with Donald Trump are uncomfortable by what they witness. He stumbles, slurs, gets confused, is easily irritated, and has trouble synthesizing information, not occasionally but with regularity. Those who would claim otherwise are lying to themselves or to the country.”
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Less privileged people would go to jail for this kind of stuff.

NYT: Trump Ordered to Pay $2 Million to Charities for Misuse of Foundation. The president admitted he had used funds raised by the Donald J. Trump Foundation to promote his campaign and pay business debts.

Quote:
A state judge ordered President Trump to pay $2 million in damages to nonprofit groups on Thursday after the president admitted misusing money raised by the Donald J. Trump Foundation to promote his presidential bid, pay off business debts and purchase a portrait of himself for one of his hotels.

The damage award brought an end to a protracted legal battle over the foundation, whose giving patterns and management became a flash point during Mr. Trump’s run for office in 2016. New York’s attorney general had filed suit last year accusing Mr. Trump and his family of using the foundation as an extension of his businesses and his presidential campaign.

The settlement, which was finalized last month and announced on Thursday in the judge’s order, included a detailed admission of misconduct that is rare for the president, who has long employed a scorched-earth approach toward fighting lawsuits.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Quote:

I wonder how much he paid his ghost writer.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Quote:

Since it's a Trump, good chance he hasn't been paid.

The reason I quoted that is - like everything else the Trumps say - imagine if Obama or anybody from his family had said something so utterly stupid.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Quote:

Since it's a Trump, good chance he hasn't been paid.

The reason I quoted that is - like everything else the Trumps say - imagine if Obama or anybody from his family had said something so utterly stupid.

Oh, I wasn't knocking the posting of the quote.

I was making light of the fact that he obviously went and found someone who would say his asinine and hideous things and at least translate them in a semi-articulate and literate way.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
realking24 wrote:

Hit and run or straight from the source which is extremely rare unlike the hit and run hit jobs like the Russian Hoax.

Quote:

Learning curve or not having sources that fit your personal narrative for example Amy NBC host has scoop and proof Bill had inappropriate relations with minors and the network suppressed her from reporting. She held on to it for 3 years. Banning people for different opinions is ridiculous but that’s the new internet I guess.

Quote:

Quote:
I don’t mind a different opinion obviously but it seems contrary to many here.

My experience here is if someone disagrees with you or don’t like the topic Instead of having a discussion about it they go to attack mode or not actually discuss the topic but deflect and divert exactly what your trying to teach me sounds hypocritical go look what happened in the Amy’s thread that got locked. Throw a lot of (bleep), muck it up and discredit without even reading or watching the article or source when it proves you wrong.

Quote:

Once again I’m not the one claiming or asking threads to be locked up. I am very happy and confident in myself but if you feel that way all good. Seems your projecting with your thoughts.

And that said, no, you really don't have freedom of speech here. That right extends to Congress and laws. You're free to say what you want, but that doesn't mean we're under any obligation to provide you a platform to say it.
We welcome a dialog here, and welcome you to express any opinion or value so long as you adhere to the rules -- no hit & run, cite sources & provide support, etc. Don't like those rules? You're free to exercise your freedom of speech elsewhere.

Don’t mind being respectful but to claim hit and run while this thread is full of that. Your opinion is yours and thanks for giving it👍.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

https://www.salon.com/2019/07/25/tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-for-50-million/

Why is Google meddling?
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/i-had-it-all-abc-host-claims-network-squashed-epstein-story-three-years-ago-in-leaked-video

Thoughts?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
https://www.salon.com/2019/07/25/tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-for-50-million/

Why is Google meddling?

I do believe that Gabbard was treated poorly by the media early in her campaign, but I also think that sometimes “conspiracies” can be chalked up to being mistakes. Maybe it was as simple as they said: In a statement, via Politico, a spokesperson said the suspension was automatic.

"We have automated systems that flag unusual activity on all advertiser accounts — including large spending changes — in order to prevent fraud and protect our customers,” Riva Sciuto said. “In this case, our system triggered a suspension and the account was reinstated shortly thereafter. We are proud to offer ad products that help campaigns connect directly with voters, and we do so without bias toward any party or political ideology."

I actually liked Gabbard early on, but I think she blew it with her understandable, but politically unsavvy response when she was being accused of being a Russian asset by Hillary. Regardless, her suing will probably prevent this from happening again, which is a good thing.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/i-had-it-all-abc-host-claims-network-squashed-epstein-story-three-years-ago-in-leaked-video

Thoughts?

What are you looking for here with regards to our thoughts. The article seems pretty self explanatory.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

realking24 wrote:

Thoughts?

You said this wasn't political. So why is this here?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

I acknowledged we stopped making progress in 2018 after looking more into it. Also never intended to defend Trump. Progress must be made albeit less drastic progress than you feel we need IMO.

Will you acknowledge we’re not approaching an apocalypse or are you gonna stick by that?

What, in your mind, is an acceptable rate of progressive measures to protect the environment?

What is the drawback of being "overly" cautious with the possibility that climate change will drastically effect man kind?

What policies on the Left do you disagree with, in regards to climate change?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

Mother Nature doesn't accept Visa, MasterCard or American Express
Humans be thinking they can stockpile billions of dollars and then
Use it to bargain with Mother Nature?

Capitalism has Matricide at it's foundation
Until money is no longer a symbol to be respected
before Our Parent our species will suffer eternally
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1800, 1801, 1802 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 1801 of 3671
Jump to: