THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2263, 2264, 2265 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure all the Libertarians out there will organize and combat Trump since their greatest worry happened today. Trump is mobilizing all available federal resources, civilian and military domestically.

I'm joking. Libertarians will bury their head in the sand.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:
From WaPo:

Quote:
The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.

She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

“I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde said.

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”

White gal needs to get out there in her full Episcopalian Bishop's regalia and stand with the protesters near the church.

Quote:
Amy Fiscus @amyfiscus CNN

@kaitlancollins reporting that Trump walked to St. John’s church in part because he was upset over coverage of him hiding in the White House bunker

Typical. Uses the military to establish a safe zone for him to do a photo op at a church so he can look "strong". Freaking hypocritical coward. A reporter asked if he was holding his family bible. He replied it was "a bible".
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Perspective of someone from the UK, taken from a different site, that I thought was worth sharing:

Is anyone watching the news? Massive incredible historic stuff is unfolding! Donald Trump appears to have just effectively declared martial law to stop the protests! https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4878843/user-clip-president-donald-trump-essentially-declares-martial-law He's using US troops against American civilians for the first time since 1807! He has effectively just made himself dictator of the USA. The worlds worst fears have been realised! He just stood in front of a ruined church with a bible in his hand, minutes after he ordered troops to shoot peaceful protestors in front of the White House. Was 1/6/20 the day democracy died in the USA after over 200 years?

Military vehicles being deployed in Washington DC right now ... curfew has been ordered throughout the USA. Troops given orders to take all necessary measures against anyone who breaks it. The fascist republic of America has been born tonight.

That is a very exaggerated and inaccurate description of what is going on. I get the desire to depict the American chaos in such sensationalistic terms and I know the feeling that leads to it. We all feel it. But we aren’t served by portraying things in a light that mis-portrays actual events. The NG deployments have nothing to do with Trump’s asinine threat today that he can’t follow through on. They were in place before today’s threats. Martial law is not called. He threatened it if Governors don’t follow his dog whistle. But they have a day in any potential military deployments in their states, even if Trump could actually do what he threatens, which is in doubt.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Impeach him again. I'm serious.

To what end? Last thing we need right now is political theater that goes nowhere.

Just to distract him and split their attention. Somebody's gotta stop him before he really does go full fascist and tries to delay November election. Who else is going to stop him? You have to throw up some roadblocks. I know he won't be convicted. Should we all just sit on our hands while he turns himself into a dictator before our eyes?

No. We should not just sit on our hands. But we definitely shouldn’t play right into his, which is what an ineffective impeachment would be doing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

If god forbid there are no elections in November or Americans are otherwise prevented from safely and fairly voting and we don't use every tool of Democracy to prevent it from happening, then I would say we have played right into Trump's hands. That's what he wants. He wants us to be afraid and too paralyzed by the chaos to put up a fight. That's why he wants the military to squash the demonstrations. THIS IS HOW DICTATORS ACT TO ACQUIRE AND KEEP POWER.

This is not hyperbole.

People say oh well he can't postpone the elections, he doesn't have that power. Have you met Bill Barr, the GOP Senate and the right-wing Supreme Court???

I think every Congressional Representative and Senator should call for his immediate resignation. Then we'll go from there.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
If I hear one more (bleep) person call me alarmist I'm going to lose my (bleep).

If anyone’s not alarmed right now, they have lost their (bleep).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If god forbid there are no elections in November or Americans are otherwise prevented from safely and fairly voting and we don't use every tool of Democracy to prevent it from happening, then I would say we have played right into Trump's hands. That's what he wants. He wants us to be afraid and too paralyzed by the chaos to put up a fight. That's why he wants the military to squash the demonstrations. THIS IS HOW DICTATORS ACT TO ACQUIRE AND KEEP POWER.

This is not hyperbole.

People say oh well he can't postpone the elections, he doesn't have that power. Have you met Bill Barr, the GOP Senate and the right-wing Supreme Court???

I think every Congressional Representative and Senator should call for his immediate resignation. Then we'll go from there.

I’m all for our elected leaders for call his resignation. That at least is proactive and puts him in the defensive. But a ceremonial impeachment in the middle of a pandemic and civil unrest across the entire nation just hands him the election in November. He won’t even have to cancel it or rig it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
From WaPo:

Quote:
The Right Rev. Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, was seething.

“I am outraged,” Budde said in a telephone interview a short time later, pausing between words to emphasize her anger as her voice slightly trembled.

She said she had not been given any notice that Trump would be visiting the church, and did not approve of the manner in which the area was secured for his appearance.

“I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop,” Budde said.

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”

White gal needs to get out there in her full Episcopalian Bishop's regalia and stand with the protesters near the church.

Listening to her tone of voice and obvious disgust and indignation made the words even more impactful.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

This is not hyperbole.

I’m all for our elected leaders for call his resignation. That at least is proactive and puts him in the defensive. But a ceremonial impeachment in the middle of a pandemic and civil unrest across the entire nation just hands him the election in November. He won’t even have to cancel it or rig it.

Please delineate how exactly standing up to Trump's play to turn himself into a dictator hands him the election?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

A second impeachment looks like an ineffective stunt. Everything should be about mobilizing people and preparing for action if the election is messed with.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Sad that using the Constitution to prevent a President from effectively abolishing the Constitution is seen as a "stunt."

Gassing protesters to take your picture with Bible is a stunt.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

When the tanks are rolling through the neighborhood it won't feel like a stunt.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Everyone request your absentee ballot now:

https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot/

Post it, send it, email, tell everyone you know.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Sad that using the Constitution to prevent a President from effectively abolishing the Constitution is seen as a "stunt."

Gassing protesters to take your picture with Bible is a stunt.

I understand your passion, but impeaching him won’t stop him from doing anything. He was already impeached. Nothing happened. Won’t change this time. They had to do it, but to do it again looks feckless.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
When the tanks are rolling through the neighborhood it won't feel like a stunt.

Impeaching him isn’t an anti tank weapon.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

I marched to the White House the day after this mother-(bleep) was sworn in. And if it weren't for the pandemic I'd be marching again.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
A second impeachment looks like an ineffective stunt. Everything should be about mobilizing people and preparing for action when the election is messed with.

FIFY
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Robert Costa, who has many Republican sources, basically said tonight that they all think he's crazy but that they're politically locked to him so they can't say anything.

They're admitting they're cowards.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
A second impeachment looks like an ineffective stunt. Everything should be about mobilizing people and preparing for action if the election is messed with.

Did you agree with the first impeachment taking place?
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I get home from work today, and see that Commander In Chief Trump has commanded a victory in the Battle of Lafayette Square today, yep he's a war time president. It was no Iwo Jima photo, but that pic of him holding that bible up in front of that church brought tears to my eyes...*sniff...sniff*
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
I get home from work today, and see that Commander In Chief Trump has commanded a victory in the Battle of Lafayette Square today, yep he's a war time president. It was no Iwo Jima photo, but that pic of him holding that bible up in front of that church brought tears to my eyes...*sniff...sniff*

Reporter: "Is that your bible?"
Trump: "It's a bible."

Truly the stuff of legend.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm so stressed this is all I can think about.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yes, in the context it happened. They had to do it. But doing it now is very different.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yes, in the context it happened. They had to do it. But doing it now is very different.

We still have five months to go. If he's like this in May, imagine October.

I can't wait to see what the polls will say in a few days.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Cool. I was just curious, I wasn't paying as close attention to the thread in latel2019 so it's tough to remember who was pro or con before the actual impeachment hearings took place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2263, 2264, 2265 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 2264 of 3673
Jump to: