THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2315, 2316, 2317 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
If Biden loses, Kanye won't be the reason. He won't be on the ballot, those who would write in his name are the same people that write in Mickey Mouse, and those people wouldn't vote for Biden anyway.

What I fear more is foreign and domestic election interference that will convert Trump losses into Trump wins in closely contested states.

It won't be the reason, but it would be a contributing factor that could be amplified by the Trump/Russian chicanery.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Apparently Kanye forgot to take his meds today and thinks he's running for president in 2020.

He made that announcement in 2015.

This is from one hour ago:

Quote:
ye @kanyewest

1h
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States 🇺🇸! #2020VISION

This is from 2015

By
Elise Viebeck
Reporter
August 31, 2015 at 10:44 a.m. PDT

Kanye West said he’ll run for president in 2020. Here’s how political Twitter reacted.
LINK
Quote:

“I don’t know what I stand to lose after this, it don’t matter though, because it ain’t about me, it’s about new ideas, bro, new idea. People with ideas, people who believe in truth,” he said. “And yes, as you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president.”

Two different events. Something he said in 2015 but didn't act on would not be newsworthy. Making a new statement in 2020 is a current event.

Anyway it's too late for him to actually get on the ballot in most states which is why I said he's off his meds. He's a mentally unbalanced attention seeker who is very confused about many things.

Sounds kind of familiar. The funny/sad thing is, and I mean this quite sincerely, Kanye is not even as bad a candidate as Trump.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

#boycotteverythingkardashian
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Edited post

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Apparently Trump's speech was a stinker last night. From reading reviews and watching a few clips, here's the summary -- it was written like a Stephen Miller 5th grade Nazi book report read off the teleprompter by someone who was reading it for the first time. He slurred and mispronounced words all the way through in that dead low-energy monotone he uses when he's trying to read. Plus he was probably sundowning. Embarrassing.

And in two weeks there will be a spike in COVID cases for many of the delusional idiots who sat through this without masks because Merica and Freedumb.

It was dull and divisive. I'm still having a hard time listening to it. I have it posted so I can go back to it now and again. I'll take time to force listen sometime today.

Trump spoke about the statues now being taken down. On that I issue, statues being removed have a place in American history and should be placed in a institution for remembrance. They're symbols of what not to do.

Yes remove them but don't forget them. They hold importance in the advancement of social evolution. They bear truth that is important. IMO they represent errors that forged paths to correctness.

I scanned the crowd. Very few wore masks and there was no social distancing. Melanie didn't wear a mask. She sat in close proximity to people not wearing masks. If she contracts COVID-19 (bleep) gonna hit the fan.

The idea that you need a statue anywhere in order to remember the lessons of history is ridiculous.

George Santayana

Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them

People know history through books, not voiceless chunks of marble and metal. A statue tells nothing about history

You're right because those books don't always pen the true nature of the statues.

Lee is revered. His true story needs to be told. He tried to overthrow the government. Thomas Jefferson is pictured as a great American. Glossed over, he had slave children and women.

This is just two of the many statues that should be retaught and institutionalized in posterity.

If you can elect yourself as the voice of the people so can I. I say statues are reminders. You don't erase history because it doesn't fit your narrative. Constant reminders are ways to cement.

People forget, some intentionally. Some because parts are not taught. To the younger generation some parts are unknown.

The reason these statues are being destroyed is because of what's untaught. I'm of the school they need to remain in some sort of museum for those curious. You don't destroy the damned only because it's evil, you learn from it.

I continue to edit;

Sunny Hostin: 'Think twice' before defending Washington, Roosevelt statues; we were taught 'revisionist history'

Did you know?

LINK

Quote:
"What we have been taught, what you have been taught, Joy, what I was taught, what Whoopi was taught, probably what Meghan was taught in our schools was revisionist history," Hostin said. "We weren't taught the real history. We were taught, you know, that George Washington freed his slaves. He wrote that in his will but he didn't free his slaves. He actually spent the last year of his life like relentlessly pursuing slaves that tried to run away. He was a horrible slaveowner. He owned hundreds of slaves at his death. We learned that he had wooden teeth. He didn't have wooden teeth. He had in his mouth the teeth of his slaves that he had pulled and make fake dentures. ... So why should there be a monument of George Washington because he was a terrible slaveowner while he was a founding father. This type of history was hidden from people and I only about it when I took African American history when I went to college."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
If Biden loses, Kanye won't be the reason. He won't be on the ballot, those who would write in his name are the same people that write in Mickey Mouse, and those people wouldn't vote for Biden anyway.

What I fear more is foreign and domestic election interference that will convert Trump losses into Trump wins in closely contested states.

It won't be the reason, but it would be a contributing factor that could be amplified by the Trump/Russian chicanery.

If we were in a 2016-type political environment, then maybe. But this is 2020, we know that a celebrity already (bleep) everything up and Kanye has no natural constituency. I just can't see how he would take away a statistically significant number of voters from Biden, especially since he's not on the ballot. People like Stein and Johnson - even though they were not serious candidates - were on the ballot and had something resembling political platforms and organizations, which the Russians indeed used to take away voters from Hillary. Kanye is beyond a joke and this thing will die out.

He also apparently launched a clothing line with the GAP or something, so this could be just another publicity stunt.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Jared & Ivanka posted a picture of themselves on vacation and the comments in this thread are hilarious and Emmy worthy (it looks like they are at some dude ranch destination vacation for rich people out west):

Quote:
Mystery Solvent @MysterySolvent

What is the name
of this TV show?

https://twitter.com/MysterySolvent/status/1279928344700751872
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/MikeyNog/status/1279892461729398785/photo/1

Looks like Chrissy Moltisanti when he would shoot up heroin. Trump had the white gunk on sides of his lips - drug dry mouth and his nose was drippin and if his pupils weren't dilated, his eyes were crossed in a stupor. Disgusting. "One morn-ing I came in to op-en The Bing and there you were wit'chor head in da toi-let...your hair was in da toi-let wat-ter.....dith-cus-ting..." (--Silvio)
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Fox News edits Donald out of photo with Epstein and Maxwell, but leaves in Melania.

LINK
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Fox News edits Donald out of photo with Epstein and Maxwell, but leaves in Melania.

LINK

"Fair & Balanced."
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Looks like Chrissy Moltisanti when he would shoot up heroin. Trump had the white gunk on sides of his lips - drug dry mouth and his nose was drippin and if his pupils weren't dilated, his eyes were crossed in a stupor. Disgusting. "One morn-ing I came in to op-en The Bing and there you were wit'chor head in da toi-let...your hair was in da toi-let wat-ter.....dith-cus-ting..." (--Silvio)

Paulie's face when Sil finished reading that

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Wilt wrote:

LINK

"Fair & Balanced."

There is a good chance that they just thought she was a drugged sex worker, which she actually is. She's holding on for The Don to croak. I wonder what's in the prenup.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Paulie's face when Sil finished reading that

Adriana: "And now, because of drugs, you can no longer perform as a man..." (cam focuses in on Benny and others in the background listening intently)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
SweetP wrote:
So President Lard-ass is on Lakota land to address a bunch of white folks on their "history". I expect he will leave out the genocide and slavery parts.

MAGA idiots yelling at NDN protesters that they need to "go home".

Also, no masks and no social distancing. They even zip-tied the chairs together so people couldn't space them apart even if they wanted to. They are all deplorable and Hillary was right about every damn thing.

South Dakota is the kind of state that's experiencing an increase in the average age of its citizens. It's more of a "Young Flight" than a "white flight". Saw a lot of Q-Tips in that crowd, too. Ayy...they got God on their side, what could go wrong. God on their side, yet they're all misanthropes who hate other people who aren't like them, which is why they ID with Trump, who is a misanthrope himself (and a probable lycanthrope at night). I try real hard sometimes to find my empathy for people like this, but as that relates to Covid19, I say good riddance. Anyone who doesn't wear a mask because it's a libtard thing and contracts the disease and dies or undergoes a horrible hospital stay and all that comes with that deserves it. That's as close as I can get without just saying "=ack em." This kind of willful negligence deserves no empathy. The "Crow States" as Maher calls them are gonna spike just like the more populated states and they can continue to think it's not a real thing. Meanwhile, people from Crow States love to come to S. Cali, so that's especially angering.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

Gallup has him now at 38%.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of the electoral college. I'm all for popular vote. This ruling at least brings some validity to the process though the wording is a little ambiguous.

Supreme Court rules electoral college representatives must honor the choice of state’s voters

LINK

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Anxious to avoid chaos in the electoral college just months before the U.S. vote, the Supreme Court ruled Monday that electors who formally select the president can be required by the state they represent to cast their ballot for the candidate who won their state’s popular vote.

The justices unanimously rejected the claim that electors have a right under the Constitution to defy their states and vote for the candidate of their choice.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject:

It's not ambiguous. They're punting to state government, which is where it belongs.

Now, do I think it's insane for some states to leave the vote to the elector? Absolutely,
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
It's not ambiguous. They're punting to state government, which is where it belongs.

Now, do I think it's insane for some states to leave the vote to the elector? Absolutely,

IMO the word should have been MUST not CAN

Why should the state have control of the peoples will? If I like scramble eggs why should you have the authority to make me eat sunny side ups?

I own ambiguous.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Elections are run by the states and they have laws on what electors are allowed to do.

It's stupid, but it is what it is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Elections are run by the states and they have laws on what electors are allowed to do.

Doesn't the SC ruling take some bite out of their laws?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

Now why would anyone be confused with this ruling?

Supreme Court rules electoral college representatives must honor choice of state’s voters -LA Times

Supreme Court says presidential electors can be required to back their states’ popular-vote winner -Washington Post
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quite the opposite. It means that the elector must cast their vote according to state law.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quite the opposite. It means that the elector must cast their vote according to state law.

That's what i mean by taking some bite out of their laws. The ruling gives them guidelines.

I voice ambiguity with the use of can instead of must.

If contextualized wouldn't must be more cementing verbiage? The way I'm interpreting the ruling it leaves wiggle room. Does my interpretation make sense?

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Kind of a tangent, but here goes...

A (Constitutional Law) professor (at San Marcos State Univ.) once told me that: The Constitution means whatever The Supreme Court interprets it to mean.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Gallup has him now at 38%.

Trump is now openly running his entire campaign on white supremacy and racism. If any of your relatives, friends or co-workers still support him, call them out for the racists they are. Either you're a racist like him or you're enabling him to weaponize racist policies to hurt non-whites. That's a distinction without a difference. He might as well just go ahead an wear a white hood at this point.

His last few tweets are lamenting that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians are being forced to change their names (he said Elizabeth Warren and other Indians must be very angry people). And he attacked that black NASCAR driver and called on him to apologize (even though he did nothing wrong) and lamented NASCAR's decision to not allow the confederate flag. And he won't watch the NFL if black players take a knee. And his speeches over the weekend were basically a George Wallace like call to take us back to the old confederacy. He's 1000% in on this strategy and believes it's a winner for him.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

While 38% is certainly bad, he still has the support of 91% of Republicans in that same poll. He's betting on those 91% and to depress turnout on the other side as much as possible, together with other shenanigans he's surely planning.

I think it was interesting that Lindsey Graham came out and said that Bubba Wallace has nothing to apologize for. It's nothing significant, but they're distancing themselves a tiny bit from him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2315, 2316, 2317 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2316 of 3663
Jump to: