THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2316, 2317, 2318 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Gallup has him now at 38%.

Trump is now openly running his entire campaign on white supremacy and racism. If any of your relatives, friends or co-workers still support him, call them out for the racists they are. Either you're a racist like him or you're enabling him to weaponize racist policies to hurt non-whites. That's a distinction without a difference. He might as well just go ahead an wear a white hood at this point.

His last few tweets are lamenting that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians are being forced to change their names (he said Elizabeth Warren and other Indians must be very angry people). And he attacked that black NASCAR driver and called on him to apologize (even though he did nothing wrong) and lamented NASCAR's decision to not allow the confederate flag. And he won't watch the NFL if black players take a knee. And his speeches over the weekend were basically a George Wallace like call to take us back to the old confederacy. He's 1000% in on this strategy and believes it's a winner for him.

Trust me, they don't care.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

Trump's an idiot. He thought his handling of the Covid crisis would work, with his dumb-a$$ pressers/campaign rallies.

He's sinking. This won't win him the upcoming election. Biden is not Hillary Clinton. Some of the Trump voters won't come back to him, and this transparent dog-whistle call won't get him the votes he needs to steal this election.

Vote his old/racist a$$ out of That Office.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
While 38% is certainly bad, he still has the support of 91% of Republicans in that same poll. He's betting on those 91% and to depress turnout on the other side as much as possible, together with other shenanigans he's surely planning.

I think it was interesting that Lindsey Graham came out and said that Bubba Wallace has nothing to apologize for. It's nothing significant, but they're distancing themselves a tiny bit from him

Something I've been predicting for some time. Trump is toxic.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Trump is toxic.

And--in my mind--he probably smells like sh!+ and Bengay.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

More on the Gallup numbers:

Quote:
Claire McCaskill @clairecmc

There are not enough Republicans in this country to re-elect him. Keep your eye on that independent number. (down to 33% approval)

Quote:
Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

GALLUP: President Trump's job approval rating is 38% Thumbs up to 57% Thumbs down.

He rates at 91% with Republicans, 33% with independents (down 10 points from earlier this year), 2% with Democrats
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

At this point the game is dont piss off his base but don’t go all the way down the rabbit hole and try and hold on to the senate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Trump is toxic.

And--in my mind--he probably smells like sh!+ and Bengay.

That brought a chuckle.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
While 38% is certainly bad, he still has the support of 91% of Republicans in that same poll. He's betting on those 91% and to depress turnout on the other side as much as possible, together with other shenanigans he's surely planning.

I think it was interesting that Lindsey Graham came out and said that Bubba Wallace has nothing to apologize for. It's nothing significant, but they're distancing themselves a tiny bit from him.

Yep. Any distancing is purely for appearances sake. There's nothing meaningful that will come from it. They will still vote Trump come November. They have gained too much from his administration's dismantling or nation's checks and balances etc. and stand to lose too much of those gains if he loses. That's why they will suppress voters anyway they can and tamper with results there are.

There will be assistance from the GOP in getting Trump out - quite the opposite so looking for or hoping for that help is a wasted effort and we need to focus on a Blue Wave and to sway some moderates.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Kind of a tangent, but here goes...

A (Constitutional Law) professor (at San Marcos State Univ.) once told me that: The Constitution means whatever The Supreme Court interprets it to mean.

Its a good quote. Unfortunately, its more than that. By far, our federal appellate courts do more to shape constitutional law than the Supreme Court just by virtue of the amount of cases they review which don't end up seeing SCOTUS' docket. That's why the GOP Senate confirming 200+ federal judges over the last 3 years is such a huge deal.

Yes, they don't weigh in on state decisions, but event states (and their respective Supreme Courts) use federal case law as persuasive authority, especially the higher up it goes. The impact of what McConnell has done is immeasurable, and much, much more impactful than any legislation we've seen. This is especially true since, even assuming we cure voter suppression and the democrats become the predominant party in the immediate future, to a substantial degree, these GOP judges will keep maintaining the republican platform for the next 2-3 decades regardless of who is in the White House or Congress. People bring this up, but I still don't think the average person really gets how bad this all is. Its like unless its a SCOTUS appointment, it doesn't matter when really it matters just as much or more depending on the issue.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Trump is now openly running his entire campaign on white supremacy and racism. If any of your relatives, friends or co-workers still support him, call them out for the racists they are. Either you're a racist like him or you're enabling him to weaponize racist policies to hurt non-whites. That's a distinction without a difference. He might as well just go ahead an wear a white hood at this point.

His last few tweets are lamenting that the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians are being forced to change their names (he said Elizabeth Warren and other Indians must be very angry people). And he attacked that black NASCAR driver and called on him to apologize (even though he did nothing wrong) and lamented NASCAR's decision to not allow the confederate flag. And he won't watch the NFL if black players take a knee. And his speeches over the weekend were basically a George Wallace like call to take us back to the old confederacy. He's 1000% in on this strategy and believes it's a winner for him.

They really don't and just will respond with "get the facts" or "stop being do divisive/spreading hate" or "stop believing what the media tells you" or "I am not going be guilted into believing what you believe" or, best case scenario and rarely "lets just not talk about it."

I posted something on this 2-3 pages ago. Trust me, I've tried. It doesn't matter what links I show them, what facts I point out, what logic I take them through... it doesn't matter. The problem is that, if they are wrong, it means not only admitting that they are wrong, but actually having to sacrifice their own security, admitting fault and/or putting in actual time/effort in either educating themselves or assisting change. They are either too invested (cognitive dissonance), too self-centered, too fearful, too lazy or too racist to change at this point. I swaer, its like trying to convert a Lakers fan into being a Celtics fan (or vice versa). Has nothing to do with logic, just allegiance and what that identity means to them.

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Third post in a row.

I traveled through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas this past weekend. With the exception of Phoenix (who has a mayor that is taking this as seriously as he can), Arizonians do not care about COVID. Its sickening how college kids are approaching this.

Texas is even worse. No matter the age, they just don't understand the importance. Unlike Arizona, where it feels like they just don't care, Texans just seem to be completely uneducated. Its like people in Arizona know better, while people in Texas just don't have a clue.

New Mexico seems to take it seriously though. When you enter the state, they have emergency text messages automatically delivered to you as you cross the border reminding you to wear a mask. Haven't even seen that in CA.

Last edited by LakerSanity on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Third post in a row.

I traveled through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas today. With the exception of Phoenix (who has a mayor that is taking this as seriously as he can), Arizonians do not care about COVID. Its sickening how college kids are approaching this.

Texas is even worse. No matter the age, they just don't understand the importance. Unlike Arizona, where it feels like they just don't care, Texans just seem to be completely uneducated. Its like people in Arizona know better, while people in Texas just don't have a clue.

New Mexico seems to take it seriously though. When you enter the state, they had an emergency text messages that goes to you reminding you to wear a mask. Haven't even seen that in CA.

When we drove up to Washington Los Angeles back in April, we got texts as soon as we entered Oregon stating that only essential travel was permitted.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

They really don't and just will respond with "get the facts" or "stop being do divisive/spreading hate" or "stop believing what the media tells you" or "I am not going be guilted into believing what you believe" or, best case scenario and rarely "lets just not talk about it."

I posted something on this 2-3 pages ago. Trust me, I've tried. It doesn't matter what links I show them, what facts I point out, what logic I take them through... it doesn't matter. The problem is that, if they are wrong, it means not only admitting that they are wrong, but actually having to sacrifice their own security, admitting fault and/or putting in actual time/effort in either educating themselves or assisting change. They are either too invested (cognitive dissonance), too self-centered, too fearful, too lazy or too racist to change at this point. I swaer, its like trying to convert a Lakers fan into being a Celtics fan (or vice versa). Has nothing to do with logic, just allegiance and what that identity means to them.

You describe the impasse perfectly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

This.

The GOP leadership and the elected GOP'ers are trying to hold onto power. They don't want to be a minority party especially with a Dem POTUS.

Many, if not most, who insist on voting for Trump just can't get beyond voting for anyone not a Repub. As bad as he is, he's not a Dem so they will vote again for him. Even if he is literally killing them.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:

LOL, damn right we are, have been for over 500 yrs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

MOTHER JONES

Another Trump tactic to strike at immigrants. Immigrants from some countries won't be able to comply. America is banned by some because of COVID-19

ICE Tells Foreign Students to Leave the Country if Their Schools Are Going Online-Only

LINK

Quote:
The Trump administration is giving a draconian choice to foreign students at schools that plan to offer only online courses this fall: Quickly transfer to a school with in-person classes or leave the country.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
It doesn't matter what links I show them, what facts I point out, what logic I take them through... it doesn't matter.

That's why I avoid racists and Repugnicants. It's easier for me to do, living in San Diego (Cailfornia)...than if I were living in the Deep South.

I'm so grateful my parents kept us in SoCal, less exposure to racist d!ckhead$.

LOL!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
It doesn't matter what links I show them, what facts I point out, what logic I take them through... it doesn't matter.

That's why I avoid racists and Repugnicants. It's easier for me to do, living in San Diego (Cailfornia)...than if I were living in the Deep South.

I'm so grateful my parents kept us in SoCal, less exposure to racist d!ckhead$.

LOL!

They're there but more dangerous because they're cloaked. In the south they don't hid their racism. The Good Ol Boys say LOOK AT ME! You don't like it? SO WHAT!

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Atlanta Mayor Bottoms tests positive for the coronavirus.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Atlanta Mayor Bottoms tests positive for the coronavirus.

I heard that on CNN. I wish her a speedy recovery. She was asymptomatic. Mayor Bottoms is a excellent example for insistence on testing. This damn virus will hide. My Favorite Image

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Biden’s tax plan is quite progressive

it is definitely progressive, but where the disparity exists is not with the income tax, but with the wealth tax.

That $100M stock sale example showing only 1M in gain is because of the inheritance tax.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-melania-trump-confidant-release-213150910.html

Former Melania Trump Confidante to Release an ‘Explosive’ Tell-All Before the Election

coming Sept 1.

"After playing a vital role in plotting Trump’s inaugural festivities, Wolkoff landed the gig of senior adviser to the first lady. However, shortly after the start of the Trump era, the noted New York socialite had a dramatic falling-out with Melania Trump, triggered by news that Wolkoff’s own firm snagged a cool $26 million from the Trump inaugural committee to help plan the events.

“Was I fired? No,” Wolkoff told The New York Times last year. “Did I personally receive $26 million or $1.6 million? No. Was I thrown under the bus? Yes.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-melania-trump-confidant-release-213150910.html

Former Melania Trump Confidante to Release an ‘Explosive’ Tell-All Before the Election

coming Sept 1.

"After playing a vital role in plotting Trump’s inaugural festivities, Wolkoff landed the gig of senior adviser to the first lady. However, shortly after the start of the Trump era, the noted New York socialite had a dramatic falling-out with Melania Trump, triggered by news that Wolkoff’s own firm snagged a cool $26 million from the Trump inaugural committee to help plan the events.

“Was I fired? No,” Wolkoff told The New York Times last year. “Did I personally receive $26 million or $1.6 million? No. Was I thrown under the bus? Yes.”

If the books about to hit the market are as explosive as touted Putin will have to take a back seat.

Trumps niece, Mary Trump, book titled Too Much And Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man. sounds explosive. Bolten, Wolkoff and Mary all out before the election may put Dump in big doo doo.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject:

As Lawrence O'Donnell pointed out tonight, Trump aimed to distract from Bountygate with a bunch of racist tweets this weekend, and he was successful as there were no questions about Russia at today's press briefing.

Not that racism is a successful strategy to win the election, but I was afraid he'd go in super distract mode to stop people talking about Bountygate, which was a potentially devastating scandal in the long run. It doesn't mean that people will forget about it, but nothing seems to really stick to him long-term. He always plays the press with daily distractions and they fall for it.

The Democrats and the various Super PACs have to keep this a story until the election because there's no defense for it and independent voters in the middle will respond to it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
As Lawrence O'Donnell pointed out tonight, Trump aimed to distract from Bountygate with a bunch of racist tweets this weekend, and he was successful as there were no questions about Russia at today's press briefing.

Not that racism is a successful strategy to win the election, but I was afraid he'd go in super distract mode to stop people talking about Bountygate, which was a potentially devastating scandal in the long run. It doesn't mean that people will forget about it, but nothing seems to really stick to him long-term. He always plays the press with daily distractions and they fall for it.

The Democrats and the various Super PACs have to keep this a story until the election because there's no defense for it and independent voters in the middle will respond to it.

Human history disputes that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2316, 2317, 2318 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 2317 of 3671
Jump to: