THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2838, 2839, 2840 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Biden hopes to avoid divisive Trump investigations, preferring unity...

Theory and practice are two different realities, sometimes.

His choice of AG is important relating to that hope. Biden didn't say Trump wouldn't be investigated he said he would leave it to a "Independent Justice Department."

His choice may or may not go hard at Trump. It can't seem to be vindictive. That would rile Trump's cult and be problematic to what Biden is striving to achieve.

There's going to be a long line of people waiting to get at Trump. If I had to make a decision on whether to or not to investigate him, I'd wait until all those file their suits.

I side with Biden. He has a country to unify which is going to be daunting. Spending HIS time on Trump wouldn't be conducive to that end.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

The Russian underworld might have some permanent plans for Master MAGA.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I read on Twitter that Biden isn’t going to prosecute trump because he wants to bring nation together.

I read on Twitter that Tom Hanks eats babies.

Can confirm.

That I read it on Twitter.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Quote:
Michael Beschloss @BeschlossDC

Only took us 231 years to get a woman as Treasury Secretary.

And a woman vice president and a woman DNI, possibly a woman Sect of Defense...

We really are a backward country in many ways.

The last 16 Treasurers of the US are/were women, dating back to 1949 and a number in a row have been Latina. Current one is Jovita Carranza. They appear along w/ the Treasury Sec'ys on US bills. Before Treasurers appeared, they put on US notes the Register of the Treasury, which is now a defunct position. There were 4 free black men (some of them formerly enslaved) in a row in that role dating back to the 1800s, so there have even been black men post-Reconstruction in similar positions well before women. Fun fact: Ivy Baker Priest, Treasurer of the US under JFK/Ike was the mother of Pat Priest, aka the 2nd Marilyn Munster.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject:

Biden is still filing out his cabinet, only 7 people have been announced. Of those, 3 are female and and 2 are POC (1 Hispanic, 1 black). This is not including Kamala Harris.

He has named 16 senior staff members. 10 are female and 6 are male.
Eight are POC, 4 are Hispanic, 2 are black, one is Indian-American and 1 is of Palestinian Arab decent.

All appear to be well-qualified and experienced.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Richard Engel @RichardEngel

With today’s appointments on national security, and others expected, it’s clear President Elect Biden is going for a no drama team. Not big egos. Policy pros. Easy personalities. No drama. No bombast.

In other words, the opposite of Trump world.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Biden will have nothing to do with it, considering his Justice Department will be independent. And even if they don't prosecute Trump, New York state will make their decision independent from Biden's administration.

Unfortunately, the wedge that Trump has driven into this country means that it won't matter who actually prosecutes Trump, the majority of Republicans will view it as a vindictive move by Democrats orchestrated by Biden.

The depth of division and distrust that Trump has instilled in almost half of the country's voting populace is going to resonate for years. Any effort to prosecute Trump post-presidency is going to amplify that, and I believe that will lead to the Trump element will hijack continue to hijack the GOP and dictate it's efforts and decisions for years to come.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Biden is still filing out his cabinet, only 7 people have been announced. Of those, 3 are female and and 2 are POC (1 Hispanic, 1 black). This is not including Kamala Harris.

He has named 16 senior staff members. 10 are female and 6 are male.
Eight are POC, 4 are Hispanic, 2 are black, one is Indian-American and 1 is of Palestinian Arab decent.

All appear to be well-qualified and experienced.

This feels kinda like the FA pick ups Pelinka just got us, excellent
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:

His choice of AG is important relating to that hope. Biden didn't say Trump wouldn't be investigated he said he would leave it to a "Independent Justice Department."

His choice may or may not go hard at Trump. It can't seem to be vindictive. That would rile Trump's cult and be problematic to what Biden is striving to achieve.

There's going to be a long line of people waiting to get at Trump. If I had to make a decision on whether to or not to investigate him, I'd wait until all those file their suits.

I side with Biden. He has a country to unify which is going to be daunting. Spending HIS time on Trump wouldn't be conducive to that end.

They would have the power to plant trump front and center for everyone to see him lie and squirm. That would lesson some of cult.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They would have the power to plant trump front and center for everyone to see him lie and squirm. That would lesson some of cult.

for what? those who chose to believe Trump will never change their mind, they don't care about the evidence. it'll actually fire them up even more that their cult leader is being "unfairly" investigated.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject:

Just like there was a Watergate commission and a 9/11 commission to investigate what went wrong and make suggestions for fixing it and to prevent it from happening again -- I think we need an independent Trump administration crimes & corruption commission to figure all the ways the Constitution was side-stepped and perverted so that guard rails against an authoritarian president can be codified in law. It's no guarantee that another charismatic charlatan won't be able to win office, but hopefully there will be more guard rails next time. For instance, actual consequences for ignoring congressional subpoenas, severely limit use of "acting" secretary heads to install political hacks in order to side-step congressional approval, prevent hiring of family members, require all candidates to submit 20 years of tax returns, require all candidates to pass high level security background checks, require winner to divest assets to avoid financial conflicts of interest, allow for criminal and civil charges to be filed against a sitting president -- even if trials are delayed until after they leave office. And then there was all the self-dealing by cabinet members. I think all Congressional members and cabinet members should be prevented from holding stock and must divest from side business holdings (or put into legal blind trust for duration of service). There are tons of things that need to be addressed whether Trump ever gets prosecuted or not. Our Democracy needs to be protected from fascist oligarchs no matter what happens to Trump.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:

for what? those who chose to believe Trump will never change their mind, they don't care about the evidence. it'll actually fire them up even more that their cult leader is being "unfairly" investigated.

This is true. This is the reason Biden is going to stand back and allow the responsible agency to do its job.

Trump has already been planted front and center for everyone to see. His cult doesn't care. They're not brainwashed, that's who they are. Their mindset is mired in lies, deceit, and racism. He'll lie but he won't squirm.

If Trump is silenced by incarceration, which I think is unlikely, one of his cultists will attempt to take his place and keep the agenda front and center. It will fade from lack of funds and experienced leadership. I don't think those in office will be vociferous as Trump. They realize the country has spoken.

The Republican party has to revisit its agenda. I don't think it will change much. IMO its approach will be a bit more furtive.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. is the right man at the right time. He'll right the sinking ship.

KEEP THE FAITH!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject:

only scenario i see Biden go after Trump is he and his team are very confident Trump will end up in jail. otherwise they won't waste their time.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
I read on Twitter that Biden isn’t going to prosecute trump because he wants to bring nation together.

I read on Twitter that Tom Hanks eats babies.

Can confirm.

That I read it on Twitter.

That was the darkest episode of Bosom Buddies. He got pregnant and had to get rid of the baby somehow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
only scenario i see Biden go after Trump is he and his team are very confident Trump will end up in jail. otherwise they won't waste their time.

I don't think Biden will go after Trump. He has a plate so full it needs sideboards. He won't have time or the inclination to spend on a useless venture.

The incoming AG's plate is also full. She/He has a department in shambles. The job will call for their full attention straightening out the inherited mess.

I think Trump's biggest worry will be Letitia James NYSAG. She's a democrat.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Real Reason Trump’s Lawsuits Disproportionately Target Black and Latino Voters

The cities at the center of Trump’s crusade are not even the ones that cost him the election.

By Kira Lerner
Nov 24, 2020
5:45 AM

President Donald Trump and his campaign have filed more than two dozen lawsuits around the country seeking to undermine the legitimacy of the election. His unsubstantiated claims of fraud have mostly been leveled at voters in urban centers of the states with the closest vote margins. The strategy, while so far ineffective, makes clear a larger goal of Trump’s. According to an analysis of his litigation by Votebeat, the counties the Trump campaign and his supporters have targeted with postelection lawsuits have the highest Black or Latino populations in their states. The counties Trump sued in Pennsylvania, for example, were Philadelphia, Montgomery, Delaware, Allegheny, Chester, Centre, and Northampton. That includes four of the Blackest counties in Pennsylvania and, together, accounts for more than 74 percent of the state’s Black population.

Election experts have repeatedly called Trump’s effort to discount the election results a public relations stunt to save his image and to defend himself from the reality of his loss. But what hasn’t been acknowledged as widely is Trump’s more pernicious goal: to scapegoat Black and Latino voters for his loss, and to implicitly argue that their votes shouldn’t decide elections.

“It’s just a continuation of a pattern of denigrating people of color and Black people especially,” said Anne Houghtaling, deputy director of the Thurgood Marshall Institute at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, who works on voting issues. “The fact that the president is lying about how this process works and trying to say whose votes don’t count is just wrong.”

Scapegoating Black voters for his loss is a fitting end of his term for a president who has shown his disdain for Black people throughout the last four years, Houghtaling said. Trump made false, racist comments about Rep. Elijah Cummings’ district in Baltimore, degraded female and Black legislators, spoke negatively about countries in Africa, and said there were “very fine people on both sides” of the Charlottesville, Virginia, white nationalist march, among other examples.

“This is on brand for him,” she said.

Trump seems unlikely to concede anytime soon and will likely play the victim in his white-aggrievement blame game for as long as he can. While Republicans have long thrown allegations of voter fraud at nonwhite populations, Trump is going a step further and claiming it cost him the election—just like he claimed “illegal immigrants” cost him the popular vote in 2016. By doing so, he’s ending his presidency with one last spasm of racial hostility.

Slate
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

Trump is a racist POS...so are his two-time voters (probably).

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:

What about Republicans in office that back him? Are they racist or fearful of losing their seats or a combination of both?

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

What about Republicans in office that back him? Are they racist or fearful of losing their seats or a combination of both?

(D) All of the above.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

Biden's done what Trump said he would do, surround himself with competent people. His cabinet will be very diverse.

Trump did what he said he'd do but what he failed to mention was to qualify they would have to be competent liars and followers.

I still shudder at the thought of him winning another term.

Who are Joe Biden's top cabinet picks?

LINK

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Watching Biden and members of his cabinet speak is strange. My blood pressure isn't spiking and I haven't yelled BS at the TV even once. I don't think I've made it longer than 3 minutes without both happening in the past 4 years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

The more I watch Biden the more I believe America selected the best nominee. I'm encouraged by his demeanor and presidential appearance.

I've not seen any of the nominees in this position, I'm judging by the debates. Whether or not any would garner the confidence I have in Biden I can't give a definitive answer. I'm going on gut.

Also, his experience at the highest level in government is more than any other nominee. He's been privy to more high level information than any nominee. He knows the ins and out of the Oval Office.

I'm resting easy now and have canceled my Prozac prescription.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The more I watch Biden the more I believe America selected the best nominee. I'm encouraged by his demeanor and presidential appearance.

I've not seen any of the nominees in this position, I'm judging by the debates. Whether or not any would garner the confidence I have in Biden I can't give a definitive answer. I'm going on gut.

Also, his experience at the highest level in government is more than any other nominee. He's been privy to more high level information than any nominee. He knows the ins and out of the Oval Office.

yes when compared to what we just went through. Istill feel like we need an innovator, but status quo of 5 yrs ago is fine for now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

yes when compared to what we just went through. Istill feel like we need an innovator, but status quo of 5 yrs ago is fine for now.

Baby steps. Let's first establish a norm then go from there.

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Just like there was a Watergate commission and a 9/11 commission to investigate what went wrong and make suggestions for fixing it and to prevent it from happening again -- I think we need an independent Trump administration crimes & corruption commission to figure all the ways the Constitution was side-stepped and perverted so that guard rails against an authoritarian president can be codified in law. It's no guarantee that another charismatic charlatan won't be able to win office, but hopefully there will be more guard rails next time. For instance, actual consequences for ignoring congressional subpoenas, severely limit use of "acting" secretary heads to install political hacks in order to side-step congressional approval, prevent hiring of family members, require all candidates to submit 20 years of tax returns, require all candidates to pass high level security background checks, require winner to divest assets to avoid financial conflicts of interest, allow for criminal and civil charges to be filed against a sitting president -- even if trials are delayed until after they leave office. And then there was all the self-dealing by cabinet members. I think all Congressional members and cabinet members should be prevented from holding stock and must divest from side business holdings (or put into legal blind trust for duration of service). There are tons of things that need to be addressed whether Trump ever gets prosecuted or not. Our Democracy needs to be protected from fascist oligarchs no matter what happens to Trump.

THIS addresses what I consider the biggest problem we face right now. Yes, other comments in this thread focus on the idiots who support trump, and about the danger of getting them fired up, but whether they will go away in time or not does not depend on whether we land trump and his accomplices in a jail cell. If we want to fix that problem, go after the sedition sites that are producing this militancy. Trumpkins are never going to settle down whether or not we play nice. That's not how it works with them, and that's not the first order of business here.

We don't want someone who is actually competent, but no less narcissistic, vile and selfish from succeeding in undermining democracy where Trump failed, and we need reasonable safeguards in place so that someone this sinister can't openly and flagrantly disregard the law, the constitution, and all moral and ethical values from a heavily protected perch in the White House with no checks and balances to mitigate this risk, period.

The history books can then take care of Trump, trash his legacy, and let his empire decay in the dustbin of history as a dark episode never to be repeated, and some day the biggest political lie in the country will be the number of kids 30 years from now who swear their grandparents never voted for that buffoon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2838, 2839, 2840 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2839 of 3663
Jump to: