THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2598, 2599, 2600 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
32 wrote:
Damn this is a lot of lawyers for one state. With DeSantis as Governor, I guess you can't have enough.

Quote:
Biden has a whopping 4,000 lawyers standing by or already working in Florida to either avoid or combat an election recount next week, according to a report

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1322231456178077698

Need to have enough lawyers to send to each precinct where votes are being counted.

I wonder how many Brooks Brothers riots Roger Stone has planned? Probably be called Proud Boys Riots this time though.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
New Rasmussen Poll:

Biden 49%
Trump 46%

Let's see if the history repeats with Rasmussen and the closer we get to election day, the larger the lead for the Democrat--you know, so they appear to be accurate.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
32 wrote:
New Rasmussen Poll:

Biden 49%
Trump 46%

Let's see if the history repeats with Rasmussen and the closer we get to election day, the larger the lead for the Democrat--you know, so they appear to be accurate.

Yea. At one point they had Biden +12 then it started “tightening” until Trump took the lead so they could push the “tightening” narrative and drive righties to the polls. Now they are starting to herd back to sane pollsters so they can claim their polls are legitimate.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject:

The poll that counts is the one that tallies actual ballots.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Michael Cohen @speechboy71

McConnell is handing Democrats the reason to scrap the filibuster. There is no chance Senate Democrats (if they’re in the majority) are going to let McConnell block a COVID relief measure

Quote:
Manu Raju @mkraju

McConnell pours cold water on doing a stimulus package in lame-duck, which is what Pelosi’s pushing for, and says it’s better to do at beginning of year. “I think that’ll be something we’ll need to do right at the beginning of the year,” he said on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show

Another gift that Biden brings to the table is that he’s a non threatening white guy, so unlike Obama, who had to keep up the charm and deference Jackie Robinson style, he will have the latitude to say, hey, I tried folks, and you know I’ve always been a reach across the aisle guy, but they just won’t reach back, and the American people need better.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject:

The gambling odds are a lot more confident about this one than I am. Biden favored to win all the swing states. Should I pull a Bill Simmons and bet on the least favorable outcome so even if it happens I at least make money?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
The poll that counts is the one that tallies actual ballots.

This. Everything else is just a collection of numbers that become relics as soon as they are posted.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Yeah. I am at the end of the day aligned with the New Democrat Coalition and their ilk, especially around fiscal responsibility. I support the Problem Solvers Caucus and believe energy should be focused there for things like prescription drug and immigration reform.

I can agree on making college more affordable, but the idea of free college education is fiscally irresponsible, as is the idea of complete forgiveness of student debt through reform of the bankruptcy code. I believe in affordable healthcare, but think Medicare for all is untenable. I don't agree with completely open borders, and guaranteed federal employment, like AOC for example.

Over the past few months Biden has started to veer left in order to court the far left vote by adopting a free partial college education proposal, an aggressive green energy plan, and forgiveness of student debt. I think his view on fracking was foolhardy, not because it hurts his ability to secure votes but because an abrupt change is disastrous and leads to the kind of displacement we had in the Midwest that helped usher in Trump in the first place.

I just don't want to see a further lurch left on these types of things that have a significant fiscal impact or that try to accelerate what is a long term solution.

Which brings me back to my original point. Our system is so screwed up that there will be a strong temptation to do in 2 years what should be a longer term goal, only to have it foment anger and energy in the Repub base so they can come and unwind it at the next opportunity they get.

I also think what Trump has done with the EPA is horrendous, and yes CL, don't agree with what you just posted about grey wolves. But I don't want to see the Dems come in and double down by adding all kinds of redtape instead of reinstating and gently marching towards more inroads on environmental protection.

making college more affordable, bipartisanship on deficits and debt, lowering healthcare costs, passing comprehensive immigration reform

Thanks for clarifying. Well you align with the majority of the Democratic Party and probably the majority of this thread's members. I'm further left. But considering there are bigger fish to fry (GOP). I'm not too motivated to debate or try to change your mind.

One thing I will say is that the "moderate Republicans" that we can achieve "bipartisanship" with in Congress is extinct. Probably died with McCain. And there are some truly disgusting positions even McCain took.

The 2 most obstructionist, ineffectual Congresses of all time were when Republicans controlled a part of Congress under our most recent Dem President. https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/FT_19.01.23_CongressProductivity_bar.png

With how polarized our country is. There is too little political capital in being a moderate, bipartisan Republican. They get punished by voters from both parties more so than helped. Susan Collins is seeing that now.

Strong - I would highly recommend watching the PBS Special, America's Great Divide as it covers Obama presidency through Trump. PBS does a terrific job trying to be objective, and guess what?

Kikanga hit the nail on the proverbial head. The infamous "Congress of No".

Watch the interviews from both sides, in the special, and the extended interviews and you find a general theme that goes something like this...

When Obama took office, hope abound. No question. He was a real threat to the status quo as an african american now becoming the most powerful man in the world. When he was inagaurated, you may as well thought he was Elvis and the Pope combined into one - forget these Trump rallies, people were truly given hope and cast hope on Obama.

The Republican party saw this and it scared the living bageezers out of them. A number of "high ranking" congress Republicans met and right off the bat - planned Obama's downfall. Why? They knew they were in trouble. The old white majority was becoming absorbed into diversity. The rich were going to become more targetted.

They plotted, they planned. They filibustered. They got in the way of Obama court nominations.* They gave him a choice where either one was going to lead to a crap result: Try to play by the existing rules, and watch him be able to nothing. Or, alternatively, have his party do things like invoke the nuclear option,* or pass partisan-only legislation.

When I watched and listened to how Obama operated, literally I began to get misty eyed because I could sense his frustration, his pain, with this crap. and guess what: IF. I. was president, I would have done EXACTLY what he did and also gotten the same ridicule and bastardization that he received. I actually empathize with him on an extreme level because I know the actions he took I would have, and I could feel the frustration and pain through his advisors and even other political commentators.

Meanwhile in the background you had the rise of the false narrative, National Inquirier type media frenzy - ACROSS the board it is undeniable. It's roots are almost universally agreed to begin with Sarah Palin's facebook crap, then it went even more extreme with Fox News allowing Glen Beck and others to rule their viewership. Enter Breitbart and others. Of course, then Trump and the "birtherism" issues he raised...the era of "alternative facts" (fantasy, fiction, LIES) to bring down the momentum Obama brang.

Now, I could go back further than what happened there. Yes, of course, the Dems had their moments. Yes, you can definitely (and even posters here can be accused of this, even myself as an independent) say there was intellectual pomposity and elitism that rubbed many republicans the wrong way (this being part of the "both sides" position). Heck, for some Pubs, you could go back to Robert Bork and say "hey man, you Dems did not play fair there"...

But this. What we have here? Make no mistake. At an extreme fundamental level Fox News and "alt right" media has really gone overbroad. And what the Republican leaders did to Obama? IMO, criminal.

As an aside, I spent alot of time these past few months looking into this and these are an extremely brief summary of my findings. I looked at as many neutral or fact based sources as possible and allowed myself to read and listen to as many from both sides. In sum, mark my words, in 10-15 years History books will be saying that is what happened.

EDIT: Example, take the ACA - did you know it was heavily based on Republican ideas? E.g. Romney. Why was it trounced and attacked? Because Obama asked for it. ONLY reason.

*Not just talking Judge Garland here for Supreme Court, but lower court nominations as well - creating the "precedent" to have the nuclear option used for court nominations when Pubs just kept stalling to, you know, just stall. In sum, Pubs wanted to just mix it up and either create a lame duck president, or force his hand to do things the Pubs could exploit later. Conclusion: Truly diabolical scheme.

Thanks, I will look it up. I agree that the Repubs were obstructionists and reactionaries during Obama and unabashedly so. And racist to boot. It is a BIG part of the problem with the system. I am just pollyannish enough to hope that there will be even moderate ones who will cooperate. Maybe I'm naive.

Last edited by strong9 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
strong9 wrote:
Yeah. I am at the end of the day aligned with the New Democrat Coalition and their ilk, especially around fiscal responsibility. I support the Problem Solvers Caucus and believe energy should be focused there for things like prescription drug and immigration reform.

I can agree on making college more affordable, but the idea of free college education is fiscally irresponsible, as is the idea of complete forgiveness of student debt through reform of the bankruptcy code. I believe in affordable healthcare, but think Medicare for all is untenable. I don't agree with completely open borders, and guaranteed federal employment, like AOC for example.

Over the past few months Biden has started to veer left in order to court the far left vote by adopting a free partial college education proposal, an aggressive green energy plan, and forgiveness of student debt. I think his view on fracking was foolhardy, not because it hurts his ability to secure votes but because an abrupt change is disastrous and leads to the kind of displacement we had in the Midwest that helped usher in Trump in the first place.

I just don't want to see a further lurch left on these types of things that have a significant fiscal impact or that try to accelerate what is a long term solution.

Which brings me back to my original point. Our system is so screwed up that there will be a strong temptation to do in 2 years what should be a longer term goal, only to have it foment anger and energy in the Repub base so they can come and unwind it at the next opportunity they get.

I also think what Trump has done with the EPA is horrendous, and yes CL, don't agree with what you just posted about grey wolves. But I don't want to see the Dems come in and double down by adding all kinds of redtape instead of reinstating and gently marching towards more inroads on environmental protection.

making college more affordable, bipartisanship on deficits and debt, lowering healthcare costs, passing comprehensive immigration reform

Thanks for clarifying. Well you align with the majority of the Democratic Party and probably the majority of this thread's members. I'm further left. But considering there are bigger fish to fry (GOP). I'm not too motivated to debate or try to change your mind.

One thing I will say is that the "moderate Republicans" that we can achieve "bipartisanship" with in Congress is extinct. Probably died with McCain. And there are some truly disgusting positions even McCain took.

The 2 most obstructionist, ineffectual Congresses of all time were when Republicans controlled a part of Congress under our most recent Dem President. https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/FT_19.01.23_CongressProductivity_bar.png

With how polarized our country is. There is too little political capital in being a moderate, bipartisan Republican. They get punished by voters from both parties more so than helped. Susan Collins is seeing that now.

Strong - I would highly recommend watching the PBS Special, America's Great Divide as it covers Obama presidency through Trump. PBS does a terrific job trying to be objective, and guess what?

Kikanga hit the nail on the proverbial head. The infamous "Congress of No".

Watch the interviews from both sides, in the special, and the extended interviews and you find a general theme that goes something like this...

When Obama took office, hope abound. No question. He was a real threat to the status quo as an african american now becoming the most powerful man in the world. When he was inagaurated, you may as well thought he was Elvis and the Pope combined into one - forget these Trump rallies, people were truly given hope and cast hope on Obama.

The Republican party saw this and it scared the living bageezers out of them. A number of "high ranking" congress Republicans met and right off the bat - planned Obama's downfall. Why? They knew they were in trouble. The old white majority was becoming absorbed into diversity. The rich were going to become more targetted.

They plotted, they planned. They filibustered. They got in the way of Obama court nominations.* They gave him a choice where either one was going to lead to a crap result: Try to play by the existing rules, and watch him be able to nothing. Or, alternatively, have his party do things like invoke the nuclear option,* or pass partisan-only legislation.

When I watched and listened to how Obama operated, literally I began to get misty eyed because I could sense his frustration, his pain, with this crap. and guess what: IF. I. was president, I would have done EXACTLY what he did and also gotten the same ridicule and bastardization that he received. I actually empathize with him on an extreme level because I know the actions he took I would have, and I could feel the frustration and pain through his advisors and even other political commentators.

Meanwhile in the background you had the rise of the false narrative, National Inquirier type media frenzy - ACROSS the board it is undeniable. It's roots are almost universally agreed to begin with Sarah Palin's facebook crap, then it went even more extreme with Fox News allowing Glen Beck and others to rule their viewership. Enter Breitbart and others. Of course, then Trump and the "birtherism" issues he raised...the era of "alternative facts" (fantasy, fiction, LIES) to bring down the momentum Obama brang.

Now, I could go back further than what happened there. Yes, of course, the Dems had their moments. Yes, you can definitely (and even posters here can be accused of this, even myself as an independent) say there was intellectual pomposity and elitism that rubbed many republicans the wrong way (this being part of the "both sides" position). Heck, for some Pubs, you could go back to Robert Bork and say "hey man, you Dems did not play fair there"...

But this. What we have here? Make no mistake. At an extreme fundamental level Fox News and "alt right" media has really gone overbroad. And what the Republican leaders did to Obama? IMO, criminal.

As an aside, I spent alot of time these past few months looking into this and these are an extremely brief summary of my findings. I looked at as many neutral or fact based sources as possible and allowed myself to read and listen to as many from both sides. In sum, mark my words, in 10-15 years History books will be saying that is what happened.

EDIT: Example, take the ACA - did you know it was heavily based on Republican ideas? E.g. Romney. Why was it trounced and attacked? Because Obama asked for it. ONLY reason.

*Not just talking Judge Garland here for Supreme Court, but lower court nominations as well - creating the "precedent" to have the nuclear option used for court nominations when Pubs just kept stalling to, you know, just stall. In sum, Pubs wanted to just mix it up and either create a lame duck president, or force his hand to do things the Pubs could exploit later. Conclusion: Truly diabolical scheme.

Thanks, I will look it up. I agree that the Repubs were obstructionists and reactionaries during Obama and unabashedly so. And racist to boot. It is a BIG part of the problem with the system. I am just pollyannish enough to hope that there will be even moderate ones who will cooperate. Maybe I'm naive.

There may be a few, but remember, they’ve already had a lot of chances to cooperate and have not. And the ones who cooperate will do so only as long as it is a political win for them, and their base does not reward compromise. You might get a few vulnerable people in purple areas facing re-election, for a limited time, but the reality is most of them are going to play the obstruct and hope to take power back game, and you can’t wait on them. Do what you need to do, bring those you can along, and take legal, reasonable (by reasonable I mean favoring the rights of the voters) steps to ensure they can’t continue to use a minority to control the majority.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject:

It’s crazy that these maps are possible with Biden winning the popular vote by a large margin.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/Wp1DK

https://www.270towin.com/maps/DeYd9

https://www.270towin.com/maps/6pY3v

The top is Biden carrying every swing state, along with some newly purple states. The middle is the most likely one based on current polling. The bottom is Trump squeaking out less than 1% victories in every swing state, but Biden still carrying Wisconsin and Minnesota. All of these maps are large popular vote wins for Biden. The electoral college sucks.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

2020victory is calling Nevada right now

Here's the click-through script if you want to preview it http://2020victory.io/previewscript

link to join https://mobilize.us/s/Jwoccn/r

you can make as many calls as you want for as long as you want until 8pm pst

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

In case anyone thinks Florida won’t be a (bleep) show. Mail piled up in Miami Dade. Ballots among the mail

https://twitter.com/kionnemcghee/status/1322214250413215744?s=21
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Kirstie Alley is a Trump supporter and a Scientologist.

Quote:
Kirstie Alley @kirstiealley

I now Know why my personal friends who walk around in SHEER TERROR of contracting Covid are simply CNN viewers! I decided to watch CNN myself to get a their viewpoint and oh my God DID I EVER!!!! IF YOU TOO WANT TO LIVE IN TERROR WATCH CNN!!
FEAR OF DYING IS THEIR MANTRA! OMG!

Quote:
CNN Communications @CNNPR
Replying to @kirstiealley

Kirstie, you are welcome to change the channel - just like countless viewers did every time “Veronica’s Closet” came on TV. But don’t downplay the loss of nearly 230K American lives. And please, wear a mask.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Elmk6gBU4AArFgb?format=jpg&name=900x900
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I now Know why my personal friends who walk around in SHEER TERROR of contracting Covid are simply CNN viewers! I decided to watch CNN myself to get a their viewpoint and oh my God DID I EVER!!!! IF YOU TOO WANT TO LIVE IN TERROR WATCH CNN!!

Quote:

Kirstie, you are welcome to change the channel - just like countless viewers did every time “Veronica’s Closet” came on TV. But don’t downplay the loss of nearly 230K American lives. And please, wear a mask.

I hate it about myself that I still prefer her over Shelley Long in Cheers reruns. Maybe Woody's presence in her episodes is what puts her over the top.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rick Wilson @TheRickWilson

Trump changes election night plans, cancels party at Trump International

A If he holds it at his DC hotel he is subject to the 250 person max crowd, at WH he can have a bigger crowd.

B If he holds it at the WH more of the costs are paid by tax payers directly, he doesn't have to bill.

C He knows he's going to lose but wants a big crowd at WH to cheer as if he is winning to convince his rubes.

D He knows he's going to lose and wants to sulk in private.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Philippe Reines @PhilippeReines

Q. When will trump, his spawn and Republicans admit COVID exists, is deadly, and getting worse?

A. When they can blame it on President Biden.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quality, rainforest level shade from cnn there.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Quality, rainforest level shade from cnn there.

She deserves it, all...and so would/does Roseanne (Barr).

strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Quote:
Philippe Reines @PhilippeReines

Q. When will trump, his spawn and Republicans admit COVID exists, is deadly, and getting worse?

A. When they can blame it on President Biden.

That's an absolute guarantee. It'll happen from day 1 AND I fully expect the Trump admin to intentionally sabotage the transition period to make it tougher for Biden, to hell with the populace.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The woman is certifiably bat-s crazy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm still convinced Biden will win, but I loved this quote of his:

"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids"
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Hey guys, for no reason, just thought I’d bring up an old quote where he misspoke himself!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Hey guys, for no reason, just thought I’d bring up an old quote where he misspoke himself!

“Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Your trolling game is pathetic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2598, 2599, 2600 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2599 of 3663
Jump to: