THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2958, 2959, 2960 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) _ McConnell rejects emergency session for Trump impeachment trial, making delay until Biden presidency all but certain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/colvinj/status/1349420236961964034

McConnell plays fetch with the press and they chase the little red ball with a tinkly bell inside of it every time.

McConnell is Lucy... and Pelosi and Schumer are Charlie Brown

Nah they know what’s up.

Pelosi has lost a step... she's in amazing shape for her age, but she's starting to struggle a little. Schumer has always been mousy and weak.

I hope you are right... but I'm afraid Mitch is just playing everyone like a fiddle until this all dies down.

Exactly what is happening. Pelosi thought she’d served the ball into Mitch’s court with an Ace. Meanwhile McConnell’ knows it’s not that simple.

It’s amazing the amount of slander the woman takes despite the fact that she’s savvier than anyone on the hill. She knows what Mitch is and will do. The value here is putting his caucus to the test. A bunch of senators up for re-election are going to have to make a choice that is going to divide their support either way they go. There’s also the way this is going to divide the gop in the short term and the need to dump trump. Mitch is not the only one who plays the long game.

Trump helped murder almost 400,000 people and yet the race was close.

Surely you can't believe the Dems have been playing smart the last five years.

If the Republicans put any semblance of a decent human being up for election they would have won. (Slim pickings I know, but still)

The Dems have a lot of room for improvement.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) _ McConnell rejects emergency session for Trump impeachment trial, making delay until Biden presidency all but certain.

McConnell plays fetch with the press and they chase the little red ball with a tinkly bell inside of it every time.

Nah they know what’s up.

Pelosi has lost a step... she's in amazing shape for her age, but she's starting to struggle a little. Schumer has always been mousy and weak.

I hope you are right... but I'm afraid Mitch is just playing everyone like a fiddle until this all dies down.

Exactly what is happening. Pelosi thought she’d served the ball into Mitch’s court with an Ace. Meanwhile McConnell’ knows it’s not that simple.

It’s amazing the amount of slander the woman takes despite the fact that she’s savvier than anyone on the hill. She knows what Mitch is and will do. The value here is putting his caucus to the test. A bunch of senators up for re-election are going to have to make a choice that is going to divide their support either way they go. There’s also the way this is going to divide the gop in the short term and the need to dump trump. Mitch is not the only one who plays the long game.

Trump helped murder almost 400,000 people and yet the race was close.

Surely you can't believe the Dems have been playing smart the last five years.

If the Republicans put any semblance of a decent human being up for election they would have won. (Slim pickings I know, but still)

The Dems have a lot of room for improvement.

Nancy Pelosi isn’t running for president and the electoral college, senate map, and gerrymandering have a ton to do with the closeness of things, as does the fact that a black president just scared the (bleep) out of a lot of white people who realized their hegemony is short lived.

Everyone has a lot of room for improvement, but the standard left rhetoric that Nancy is being eaten by the GOP belies the fact that Nancy tends to be the only one with a strategy that wins in competitive races. The people who keep running her down lose every competitive race vs republicans and even help lose some for other candidates.

Nancy isn’t fooled by Mitch. She doesn’t think he’s going to play nice. She just knows he, and more importantly his caucus, have different calculations now than they did on January five or six.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Nancy Pelosi isn’t running for president and the electoral college, senate map, and gerrymandering have a ton to do with the closeness of things, as does the fact that a black president just scared the (bleep) out of a lot of white people who realized their hegemony is short lived.

Everyone has a lot of room for improvement, but the standard left rhetoric that Nancy is being eaten by the GOP belies the fact that Nancy tends to be the only one with a strategy that wins in competitive races. The people who keep running her down lose every competitive race vs republicans and even help lose some for other candidates.

Nancy isn’t fooled by Mitch. She doesn’t think he’s going to play nice. She just knows he, and more importantly his caucus, have different calculations now than they did on January five or six.

Institutional racism is still very real and needs to be addressed... but you can't win elections by calling white people the devil (even though many of them deserve it) and making moderate whites feel like the enemy too.

Don Lemon, who I enjoy 90% of the time was going off on racism tonight and all I could think about was how 76% of America is white and if you keep driving moderate whites into the Republicans arms you will continue to lose national elections.

A large segment of especially younger whites aren't particularly racist and thus how we were able to elect Obama and Harris in the last 12 years.

But if the Dems use a strategy where they make all white people feel like they are the problem... then you will continue to get poll defying results where a total f-cking madman wins 74 million votes.

It's not wrong to be absolutely enraged about constant police brutality and institutional racism but there is a strategy into how you can make it palatable for certain large segments of our population.

You can either be right and scream at the top of your lungs how tired and pissed you are (which is the appropriate reaction btw)... or you can be savvy about how to win.

I'm just saying... getting hostile with the majority of the voters will not yield good results.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Don Lemon, who I enjoy 90% of the time was going off on racism tonight and all I could think about was how 76% of America is white...

But only 60% is solely white (not Hispanic or Latino).

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045219
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this has already been posted but being reported in both NYT and WaPo:

Quote:
(Trump's) relationship with his personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, who encouraged him to believe conspiracy theories about widespread election fraud, has frayed, one adviser said. The president was offended by Mr. Giuliani’s request for $20,000 a day to represent him in the election fight, which Mr. Giuliani denied making but which was in writing, and told aides not to pay him at all, an adviser to Mr. Trump said.

White House officials have started blocking Mr. Giuliani’s calls to the president, another adviser said.

Trump has also been telling people to "talk to Dershowitz" about his impeachment defense. Alan Dershowitz says POTUS hasn't asked him and indicates he's not inclined to do it. Jay Sekulow has also said he is not interested. WH Counsel Cipollone is only there until the new admin takes office.

Trump may have to defend himself in the Senate trial
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Institutional racism is still very real and needs to be addressed... but you can't win elections by calling white people the devil (even though many of them deserve it) and making moderate whites feel like the enemy too.

Don Lemon, who I enjoy 90% of the time was going off on racism tonight and all I could think about was how 76% of America is white and if you keep driving moderate whites into the Republicans arms you will continue to lose national elections.

A large segment of especially younger whites aren't particularly racist and thus how we were able to elect Obama and Harris in the last 12 years.

But if the Dems use a strategy where they make all white people feel like they are the problem... then you will continue to get poll defying results where a total f-cking madman wins 74 million votes.

It's not wrong to be absolutely enraged about constant police brutality and institutional racism but there is a strategy into how you can make it palatable for certain large segments of our population.

You can either be right and scream at the top of your lungs how tired and pissed you are (which is the appropriate reaction btw)... or you can be savvy about how to win.

I'm just saying... getting hostile with the majority of the voters will not yield good results.

You’re all over the place. We were taking about Pelosi. Pick an argument and stick with it. Pelosi isn’t pushing a white people are devils argument. But she also knows she’s not winning catering to white people since the majority of her caucus is not.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I think we have gotten to the root of the issue though, it’s the class not race argument that has been losing races everywhere except in safe blue zones full of affluent millenial white kids.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Don Lemon, who I enjoy 90% of the time was going off on racism tonight and all I could think about was how 76% of America is white...

But only 60% is solely white (not Hispanic or Latino).

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045219

Well considering the Cubans delivered Florida to the Republicans that's a whole other conversation.

My point still stands that we need to stop with the identity politics and find solutions that help all Americans. I'm not talking about ignoring the needs of our minority communities... but I'm tired of elections being run by these simplistic ideas... whether it's male/female... black/white... Republican/Democrat.

If you think I'm wrong... ask yourself... how the f--k could this happen where such a horrible human being could even get 1% of the vote?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

White gop voters aren’t susceptible to racism because of class issues. They are susceptible to voting against their class issues because of their racism.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Nah they know what’s up.

The mainstream media is Charlie Brown. I don't know how Schumer and Pelosi got wrapped up into my comment, which was quite clear.

They shouldn't keep entering battles when they know they are going to lose... it keeps energizing that deluded base.

Trump deserves to be impeached a hundred times in principle... but if you don't have the votes... you just keep giving that dead body life.

Pelosi and Schumer should know better.

And I absolutely loathe Mitch McConnell, so saying this gives me no pleasure.

Pelosi didn't lose. She successfully impeached Trump twice. The second impeachment also peeled off 10 votes from the President's party, which is (sadly) a historic record. Also, we may can predict the 99% most likely outcome of the upcoming Senate trial, but there's still a *slim* chance.

As for political efficacy, Trump lost. His "dead body" wasn't "given life." His last ditch lazy ploy to derail the Biden campaign was to go after Hunter with the re-heated Ukraine nonsense, which didn't become a "but his emailz" nonsense scandal because Trump was already impeached for the same scheme nine months earlier. The first impeachment was politically efficacious in the medium-term along with being the 100% right thing to do.

As for this most recent successful impeachment of arguably the worst president in US history, how in the actual (bleep) do you turn your back on an armed, murderous insurrection on the U.S. Capitol directed to attack by a sitting president?!? If Pelosi and Schumer are "giving [the body] life" why are so many Republican scumbags freaking out about it and threatening violence if Pelosi, Schumer, and Congressional Dems follow through on it? Because they think a second impeachment is good for Trump since Schumer doesn't have 67 Senate votes?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Nah they know what’s up.

"Slander"? Oh please . . .

This is all about the logistics of how things are playing out. It has nothing to do with slander.

Mitch's long game is much more effective because he can play Pelosi's against itself. He knows there's no way to get Trump out while still in office, which is what the current message from Pelosi is. He gets the win in the short term and then he gets to use the passage of time to spin future efforts to deal with Trump in his post-presidency as divisive . . . "Time to move on" etc.

Pelosi et al are playing the ball as it lies. Mitch is taking the time to clean and replace. There's nothing "slanderous" about pointing that out.

You keep trying to think ahead to where you think things should go. Kind of like Charlie Brown when he goes to kick the ball Lucy is holding.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think we have gotten to the root of the issue though, it’s the class not race argument that has been losing races everywhere except in safe blue zones full of affluent millenial white kids.

I was responding to your white people are scared by Obama winning.

They aren't scared of being overrun by Black America... they are in much more danger of being outnumbered by LatinXs than blacks.

The media portrays all whites as oppressors and while some of them certainly live vicariously through the true oppressors who are the ultra rich... most of them are surviving hand to mouth like the rest of us.

The media is distracting us with the narrative that it's the police who are the problem... They are in a sense, but they are the pitbulls of the wealthy who simply maintain the status quo.

Getting enraged with the police is like getting mad at a crazy pitbull instead of its owner who raised the dog to hate you.

The wealthy are the problem... we need to tax the f--k out of them.

But as long as they own newspapers and cable news networks they will continue to turn poor blacks and whites against each other... and include the latinx people as well.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Trump made it feel okay for white nationals (aka racists) to openly exhibit their beliefs.

Racism is always at play, even when racists hide their true selves...and when they don't.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, passed in the aftermath of the Civil War, bars Trump from holding another federal office if he is found to have “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against” the Constitution of the United States.

The finding could be accomplished by a simple majority vote of both houses, in contrast to the requirement in impeachment proceedings that the Senate vote to convict by a two-thirds majority.

WAPO

Once our Georgia Senators are sworn in. I think we should do this.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You’re all over the place. We were taking about Pelosi. Pick an argument and stick with it. Pelosi isn’t pushing a white people are devils argument. But she also knows she’s not winning catering to white people since the majority of her caucus is not.

In addition to that, if you read that post without knowing anything about American politics, you'd think the Democrats just lost in a landslide.

It's actually the Democrats that have managed to build a larger, more diverse coalition in 7 out of 8 presidential elections. As you said earlier, it's the most primitive and undemocratic aspects of our system that are keeping the Republicans somewhat competitive.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Thank you. Rutting after the mythical American white lumpenproletariat to the detriment of intersectional policies has been a failed - and frankly, racist - ideology that will hopefully be put by the wayside. Moderate Democrats should also stop attacking more progressive members every election cycle because they don't know how to effectively articulate their positions to their constituents.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Pelosi didn't lose. She successfully impeached Trump twice. The second impeachment also peeled off 10 votes from the President's party, which is (sadly) a historic record. Also, we may can predict the 99% most likely outcome of the upcoming Senate trial, but there's still a *slim* chance.

As for political efficacy, Trump lost. His "dead body" wasn't "given life." His last ditch lazy ploy to derail the Biden campaign was to go after Hunter with the re-heated Ukraine nonsense, which didn't become a "but his emailz" nonsense scandal because Trump was already impeached for the same scheme nine months earlier. The first impeachment was politically efficacious in the medium-term along with being the 100% right thing to do.

As for this most recent successful impeachment of arguably the worst president in US history, how in the actual (bleep) do you turn your back on an armed, murderous insurrection on the U.S. Capitol directed to attack by a sitting president?!? If Pelosi and Schumer are "giving [the body] life" why are so many Republican scumbags freaking out about it and threatening violence if Pelosi, Schumer, and Congressional Dems follow through on it? Because they think a second impeachment is good for Trump since Schumer doesn't have 67 Senate votes?

Yeah she so successfully impeached him that he still almost won a Presidential election with 74 million votes... after he mismanaged a pandemic that killed almost 400 thousand Americans and still counting.

I'm not interested in symbolic displays by Pelosi and Schumer... I'm interested in results. She lost ground in the House after this idiot murdered thousands of fellow citizens.

She is a bright woman and should be respected for her accomplishments... but to barely beat the most horrible President of our time tells me that something in the Democratic leadership is sorely lacking.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I was responding to your white people are scared by Obama winning.

They aren't scared of being overrun by Black America... they are in much more danger of being outnumbered by LatinXs than blacks.

The media portrays all whites as oppressors and while some of them certainly live vicariously through the true oppressors who are the ultra rich... most of them are surviving hand to mouth like the rest of us.

The media is distracting us with the narrative that it's the police who are the problem... They are in a sense, but they are the pitbulls of the wealthy who simply maintain the status quo.

Getting enraged with the police is like getting mad at a crazy pitbull instead of its owner who raised the dog to hate you.

The wealthy are the problem... we need to tax the f--k out of them.

But as long as they own newspapers and cable news networks they will continue to turn poor blacks and whites against each other... and include the latinx people as well.

I’m sorry, but outside of a safe blue district coffee house, this post is rightfully seen as full of puerile nonsense. Wealth and race and the order of things are inextricably linked, and thinking this is purely 99% against 1% just confounds any idea of how to get to 51%
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

In addition to that, if you read that post without knowing anything about American politics, you'd think the Democrats just lost in a landslide.

It's actually the Democrats that have managed to build a larger, more diverse coalition in 7 out of 8 presidential elections. As you said earlier, it's the most primitive and undemocratic aspects of our system that are keeping the Republicans somewhat competitive.

Also, incumbency and partisanship is a helluva drug. Sitting presidents don't usually lose and they certainly don't lose by as much as Trump just lost by.

And few seem to want to say it, but the pandemic helped Trump whip up his base. Tens of millions of Americans cared more about being inconvenienced from going to their local Texas Roadhouse on wing Wednesday than they do hundreds of thousands of their fellow Americans dying from a respiratory plague.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Yeah she so successfully impeached him that he still almost won a Presidential election with 74 million votes... after he mismanaged a pandemic that killed almost 400 thousand Americans and still counting.

I'm not interested in symbolic displays by Pelosi and Schumer... I'm interested in results. She lost ground in the House after this idiot murdered thousands of fellow citizens.

She is a bright woman and should be respected for her accomplishments... but to barely beat the most horrible President of our time tells me that something in the Democratic leadership is sorely lacking.

You’re crowing about accomplishments on behalf of a coalition with none. And oddly, part of the problem is that along with racism and gerrymandering and electoral college and senate maps titled against them, the Dems also have to deal with Rambo without a jockstrap “you’re doing it wrong” lefties helping them lose tight races because socialism is a great GOP ad. When your ideas start taking red seats you can talk. But the dem mainstream took over forty seats from the GOP in 18 while the far left went a very big 0 for in red or competitive districts. They lost some back, but the far left still went 0 for.

The argument that what the Dems do somewhat successfully but less than you like is because they won’t hand over the reins to those who win nothing but safe blue districts is tired and lame and has now reached the detrimental stage.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Yeah she so successfully impeached him that he still almost won a Presidential election with 74 million votes.. after he mismanaged a pandemic that killed almost 400 thousand Americans and still counting.

What if I told you 74 million Americans (at least) think Trump's done a great job handling the pandemic?

And that's even before getting into issues of incumbency and the counter-majoritarian electoral college.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Btw, it is pretty fun to hear that impeaching trump was bad the first time and blaming it on Pelosi from the side that pretty much forced her into it, and now act like it’s bad when it is so much more apparent in reality and political reality that it’s not.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Yeah she so successfully impeached him that he still almost won a Presidential election with 74 million votes.. after he mismanaged a pandemic that killed almost 400 thousand Americans and still counting.

What if I told you 74 million Americans (at least) think Trump's done a great job handling the pandemic?

And that's even before getting into issues of incumbency and the counter-majoritarian electoral college.

If you are a party leader... it's still your responsibility to cultivate those votes no matter how misguided those people might be.

Maybe if she worked for Medicare 4 All or providing a free bachelor's degree for that demographic she'd have something other than identity politics to sell them...

But as a centrist that's she really has... so it's no wonder they were underwhelmed.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Dems just beat a GOP prez who tried to scare Dem voters from casting their ballots.

Trump tried to f*#k up the USPS, so Dems wouldn't want to go that route for voting.

Trump tried to throw out legally cast votes.

And who knows what other (undisclosed) cheats/hacks he employed in his quest to be re-elected.

Dems still beat him and his 74 million (racist) voters.

F*#k Trump and his (two-time) voters.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Full Frontal @FullFrontalSamB

Congrats to Trump on finally getting more votes than a Clinton

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2958, 2959, 2960 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 2959 of 3663
Jump to: