THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3074, 3075, 3076 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Matthew McConaughey may be a viable candidate for Texas governor; poll shows actor ahead of Abbott
McConaughey leads Gov. Greg Abbott, 45% to 33%. But his middle-of-the-road appeal may not open an easy path for him to November’s finale, experts warned.

Dallas News
I don't know what to think about this. I guess it would be a good thing if he ran in the GOP. And then if he loses go 3rd party.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Matthew McConaughey may be a viable candidate for Texas governor; poll shows actor ahead of Abbott
McConaughey leads Gov. Greg Abbott, 45% to 33%. But his middle-of-the-road appeal may not open an easy path for him to November’s finale, experts warned.

Dallas News
I don't know what to think about this. I guess it would be a good thing if he ran in the GOP. And then if he loses go 3rd party.

I couldn't read the Dallas News article because a subscription is required. I did read the Houston Chronicle version. It's sure to be controversial to some but I agree with his analogy on why he is a centrist/moderate:
Quote:
"I’ve said this analogy a few times before, but someone told me, 'There ain’t nothing in the middle but dead armadillos and yellow lines,'" McConaughey told the Longview News-Journal in March, John Anderson reports. "I said, 'Well, I’m walking right down the yellow lines, right in the middle of the highway right now. And the armadillos are free having a great time because right now, both sides are so far to the right or the left, there aren’t even tires on the pavement.' So I think, going in, to think Democrat or Republican or one of the other, is small thinking now and even becoming unconstitutional because you’re supposed to serve the American people or the people of your state."

Houston Chronicle
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

I couldn't read the Dallas News article because a subscription is required. I did read the Houston Chronicle version. It's sure to be controversial to some but I agree with his analogy on why he is a centrist/moderate:
Quote:
"I’ve said this analogy a few times before, but someone told me, 'There ain’t nothing in the middle but dead armadillos and yellow lines,'" McConaughey told the Longview News-Journal in March, John Anderson reports. "I said, 'Well, I’m walking right down the yellow lines, right in the middle of the highway right now. And the armadillos are free having a great time because right now, both sides are so far to the right or the left, there aren’t even tires on the pavement.' So I think, going in, to think Democrat or Republican or one of the other, is small thinking now and even becoming unconstitutional because you’re supposed to serve the American people or the people of your state."

Houston Chronicle

He can call himself a moderate or an alien from outer space. As long as he fixes what Republicans have done to the electricity services in that state, he'll be a hero to many. It's 2021, we don't need people freezing to death in their homes or geting a monthly electricity bill that's 5 figures just so electricity can be "privatized" "cuz gov'ment bad".
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

TX GOP: "We's believe in small gubment, safe leckshuns, and gun rights fo' whites."
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

Quote:

Houston Chronicle

He can call himself a moderate or an alien from outer space. As long as he fixes what Republicans have done to the electricity services in that state, he'll be a hero to many. It's 2021, we don't need people freezing to death in their homes or geting a monthly electricity bill that's 5 figures just so electricity can be "privatized" "cuz gov'ment bad".

Every time I've heard him speak he sounded like a stoned new age air head. So I'm gonna say pass. There's got to be someone better who has actual experience and credentials. Like, Beto for instance.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

Quote:

Houston Chronicle

Every time I've heard him speak he sounded like a stoned new age air head. So I'm gonna say pass. There's got to be someone better who has actual experience and credentials. Like, Beto for instance.

Yes, we've certainly been there, endured that (celebrity thing with the Orange Slime). But will Beto be able to overcome the evident popularity of a celebrity like McConaughey? Sure would be nice to have basic prerequisites/pertinent experience before running for office.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ari Berman @AriBerman

While we wait for verdict in George Floyd case, House Republicans are voting on resolution to censure Maxine Waters after refusing to hold anyone accountable for violent insurrection

It's always the *black* person's fault. The GOP especially loathes strong black women.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Ted Nugent Tests Positive for COVID After Calling Pandemic a ‘Hoax'

Covid is a hoax so he must be faking the symptoms, so doctors should just ignore him.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Ari Berman @AriBerman

While we wait for verdict in George Floyd case, House Republicans are voting on resolution to censure Maxine Waters after refusing to hold anyone accountable for violent insurrection

It's always the *black* person's fault. The GOP especially loathes strong black women.

Yep, same way they have really gone after the women of color that the Biden administration is nominating for various positions. Neera Tanden, Deb Haaland, Vanita Gupta, Kristen Clarke. Same way they attack Kamala Harris with terms like "angry, strident, aggressive".
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Ted Nugent sucks worse as a political figure than he did as a musical one.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Ted Nugent sucks worse as a political figure than he did as a musical one.

Covid fever = worse than cat scratch fever. It had him in a stranglehold, baby.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

Quote:

Houston Chronicle

Yes, we've certainly been there, endured that (celebrity thing with the Orange Slime). But will Beto be able to overcome the evident popularity of a celebrity like McConaughey? Sure would be nice to have basic prerequisites/pertinent experience before running for office.

This is a big problem in politics. Instead of voting for whoever they feel has the best policies and leadership skills, they vote for a celebrity. Elections almost feel like a reality show. When I watch election footage from the '80s, it actually seems like back then elections were serious elections.

Beto is a little too conservative for me, but it would be great if he became the next governor of that state.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhux3FqDQBs][Alright Alright Alright/url]

I can't think of a more appropriate Governor for the wacky State of Texas.

I need another gun. Alright Alright Alright.

I need 10 flags in my yard. Alright, Alright, Alright.

I like BIG. Alright, Alright, Alright.

My state is Dazed and Confused. Alright, Alright, Alright.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Dallas News

Quote:

Houston Chronicle

I get where you are coming from. I prefer Beto over McConaughey too.
I'm just not one of those people that believes Texas will flip blue anytime soon. And the distance I prefer Beto over McConaughey is pretty close to the distance I prefer McConaughey over Abbott and Republicans like him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

How can you blame a party for doing what its constituents want? The racist actions of Republicans are an extension of its members.

Racism isn't new. It's woven into the country's fabric. It was not as overt until recently but none the less it existed. Hidden in actions disguised as law.

Trump released the Kraken. IMO he's destroyed the party. IMO in order for it to survive, it's going to have to purge The Donald. I don't see that happening any time soon.

The next election cycle will say a lot about what the country's about and the future of the GOP.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

big CNN fan here, love all their TV anchors and personalities. however, i'm getting sick and tired of Van Jones and Don Lemon lately. i get it, they're all for BLM and social injustice, nothing wrong with that at all. but when they're devoting 100% of their TV time to spread those messages, it gets old quickly. There're other news in America to be reported and commented on.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
big CNN fan here, love all their TV anchors and personalities. however, i'm getting sick and tired of Van Jones and Don Lemon lately. i get it, they're all for BLM and social injustice, nothing wrong with that at all. but when they're devoting 100% of their TV time to spread those messages, it gets old quickly. There're other news in America to be reported and commented on.

24/7 news channels had an abundance of content with Trump as President. Now that normalcy has returned to the WH and Congress. I feel like they are trying to figure out the best ways of filling the time.

I could feel how thirsty they were for riots to report on yesterday.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Imagine how old it gets being a black man in America these days. Or even a 16 year old girl. I’d say it’s high time the rest of us had to put up with more coverage of it.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A Capitol Police official radioed units outside of the building on the morning of Jan. 6 and told them only to scout for anti-Trump troublemakers — not pro-Trump protesters, according to Rep. Zoe Lofgren, who described what she said were details of an internal investigation conducted in the aftermath of the mob attack.

Lofgren (D-Calif.) revealed the finding while she questioned Capitol Police Inspector General Michael Bolton, who appeared before the House Administration Committee Wednesday to testify about security failures that precipitated the Jan. 6 attack. Lofgren, who chairs the panel, described the findings as she asked him whether he had read the internal investigation reports.

Lofgren said the department's Office of Professional Responsibility was reviewing information that a radio transmission to "all outside units' attention" that they should not be "looking for any pro-Trump in the crowd," according to Lofgren. She added they were "only looking for any anti-Trump."

Bolton said he had yet to review the reports of internal investigations into the conduct of about three dozen officers on Jan. 6, many of which are ongoing in the department's Office of Professional Responsibility, or OPR.

Politico
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

That’s a giant red flag if true, because anti Trump people would not be inclined to interrupt the transfer of power from him.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

I can see them trying to spin it as nothing nefarious, and even the correct action given what they supposedly knew at the time. (Of course, given what they probably did know at the time, and of course in the big picture, it was absolutely the wrong response.)

But they could say something to the effect of, "We knew the 'Stop the Steal' people were going to march on the Capitol. We were expecting a peaceful march, they were going to yell and have their say, and they were going to disperse. What would have blown it out of proportion is if pro-Trump and anti-Trump factions started clashing with each other. So since it was a pro-Trump march and they were in the vast majority, keeping an eye out for anti-Trump people in the crowd was our best strategy for keeping things from getting out of hand. At the time, we did not know that the pro-Trump marchers themselves were the ones who were going to get out of hand."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

My perception is that Trump intimidated every level of DC bureaucracy, all the way down to how law was enforced within DC. While the Capitol Police report to the legislative branch, it wouldn't have stopped Trump and the GOP Senate from weeding out perceived slight, such as having more cops on duty that day, or having cops more vigilantly monitor and control Trump supporters. The intelligence was there, the entrenched law enforcement bureaucracy willfully turned a blind eye.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Imagine how old it gets being a black man in America these days. Or even a 16 year old girl. I’d say it’s high time the rest of us had to put up with more coverage of it.

The coverage is important, but domestic coverage has a price. The country and news coverage is becoming increasingly insular and turning a blind eye to the rest of the world. Russia and China are both grabbing or invading territories, subjugating ethnic minorities, and cruelly stifling political dissent. These actions have long-term ramifications on world peace and the direction of what remains of the free world.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The coverage is important, but domestic coverage has a price. The country and news coverage is becoming increasingly insular and turning a blind eye to the rest of the world. Russia and China are both grabbing or invading territories, subjugating ethnic minorities, and cruelly stifling political dissent. These actions have long-term ramifications on world peace and the direction of what remains of the free world.

I agree, but I also agree a couple anchors highlighting one situation leaves plenty of room.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
That’s a giant red flag if true, because anti Trump people would not be inclined to interrupt the transfer of power from him.

Literally *no* anti-Trump people showed up in DC that day -- because we were all warned for weeks to stay away from the possible violence that was anticipated that day from the pro-Trump crazies. The messages on social media were "stay away" because you'll end up a target for the violence and they will try to blame the violence on our side. So just don't go. And we didn't.

Trump wanted the insurrection to both succeed and to somehow blame the violence on "anti-fa" or liberals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3074, 3075, 3076 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 3075 of 3673
Jump to: