THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3130, 3131, 3132 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Trumpism getting worse by the day, people like Sinema slowing down legislative progress, voter suppression laws, COVID = we're f*cked

I share all your concerns.
I'm just not saying it out loud or dwelling on it too much yet. Even though the urge is there.

Gotta try my best to enjoy this short respite. These 2 years will probably be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

The planet is getting over populated. It’s dying. Inequality is growing. In 2 generations it’s going to be armageddon.

Weren't you the guy who was constantly going on about Recalling Newsom?
Why bother recalling him if the world is supposedly gonna end?

I was but pulled back when i saw how there were zero options. But yes I dont think he is good for california, but unfortunately like so many elections nowadays he is less bad than the alternatives.

The world is ending. You dont go outside? You really think society is going to get better? You think climate change will reverse?

The planet as a whole has been dying since birth, its at a stage where humans are going to have a hard time adjusting to where the planet is on its timeline.

Next, our Empire is collapsing. It has happened to 100% of the previous ones in history. Its our time. Forget about the power struggles. those will not get better, just look in the streets. Homelessness is seemingly impossible to fix. Is getting worse in places where it was never a problem. Now add the migration due to climate change. Cities all over the world will get worse.

But as i noted our generation will squeak by as will my kids but after that just imagine how bad it will be.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

anyone who doubts above here ya go

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1420747332262367245?s=20
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Trumpism getting worse by the day, people like Sinema slowing down legislative progress, voter suppression laws, COVID = we're f*cked

I'm just not saying it out loud or dwelling on it too much yet. Even though the urge is there.

Gotta try my best to enjoy this short respite. These 2 years will probably be as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

The planet is getting over populated. It’s dying. Inequality is growing. In 2 generations it’s going to be armageddon.

Is this Thanos?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

Could it be that one of humanity's greatest accomplishments, propagation of the species, is what does it in?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Weren't you the guy who was constantly going on about Recalling Newsom?
Why bother recalling him if the world is supposedly gonna end?

I was but pulled back when i saw how there were zero options. But yes I dont think he is good for california, but unfortunately like so many elections nowadays he is less bad than the alternatives.

The world is ending. You dont go outside? You really think society is going to get better? You think climate change will reverse?

The planet as a whole has been dying since birth, its at a stage where humans are going to have a hard time adjusting to where the planet is on its timeline.

Next, our Empire is collapsing. It has happened to 100% of the previous ones in history. Its our time. Forget about the power struggles. those will not get better, just look in the streets. Homelessness is seemingly impossible to fix. Is getting worse in places where it was never a problem. Now add the migration due to climate change. Cities all over the world will get worse.

But as i noted our generation will squeak by as will my kids but after that just imagine how bad it will be.

The recall Newsom movement was a thinly disguised conservative idea to see if they could splinter moderate to left people between "he's not doing enough to protect you" and "he's doing too much and ruining the economy/taking our freedom" so they could get a majority to recall him while hoping to split the democratic vote on who to replace him with. It works on a lot of people who, for example, fall for "Biden is too old"...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Is this Thanos?

I mean, his username does match the whole philosophy. I mean 1/2 philosophy.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The recall Newsom movement was a thinly disguised conservative idea to see if they could splinter moderate to left people between "he's not doing enough to protect you" and "he's doing too much and ruining the economy/taking our freedom" so they could get a majority to recall him while hoping to split the democratic vote on who to replace him with. It works on a lot of people who, for example, fall for "Biden is too old"...

I know some true blue Democrats who were on a F Newsom tip for a good while.
Alot of people got hurt when their EDD payments didn't come on time or at all during this pandemic.
Of course they still won't support a recall. Since they know a Republican would be 100x worse.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Is this Thanos?

I mean, his username does match the whole philosophy. I mean 1/2 philosophy.

Where's Ant-Man when ya need him?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

The recall of Governor Gavin Newsome is a Republican-sponsored push to make California a Republican state. California is and has been a bastion for Democrats. If the Republicans turn it into a Republican state it will be a disaster. The country as a whole will be affected.

The last 2 Repukelican governors Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger left the state in shambles.

Look at the Repukelicans running to unseat Governor Newsome. Caitlyn Jenner is in the mix. SMH LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The last 2 Repukelican governors Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger left the state in shambles.

Pete Wilson and before him, George Deukmejian, they were the only other Repub governors after Reagan save for Ahnold. Deukmejian was in office from 1983-91 and wiki states that he beat Tom Bradley in 82 by only 1 percentage point, so it was close even after Reagan became President. Wilson came up in the "LA 92" Netflix documentary on the 92 Riots, which was fantastic, btw. He was soft on Darryl Gates and the happenings at the LAPD from what I recall (I was young for both of them). I remember Wilson being the tough on crime Repub who banned weights from CDCR institutions.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Pete Wilson and before him, George Deukmejian, they were the only other Repub governors after Reagan save for Ahnold. Deukmejian was in office from 1983-91 and wiki states that he beat Tom Bradley in 82 by only 1 percentage point, so it was close even after Reagan became President. Wilson came up in the "LA 92" Netflix documentary on the 92 Riots, which was fantastic, btw. He was soft on Darryl Gates and the happenings at the LAPD from what I recall (I was young for both of them). I remember Wilson being the tough on crime Repub who banned weights from CDCR institutions.

I worked for the Registrar of Voters during that election. I saw many ballot boxes come into the building with the locks broken.

Bradley was far ahead when I went to bed that night. He was so far ahead I just knew he'd be California's next Governor. I keep seeing those ballot boxes with broken locks.

I truly believe Deukmejian stole that election.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

^Same here, my fam and I also went to sleep thinking we'd wake up to Bradley being our next governor. The next day, I picked up the paper and stood in shock reading that the other guy won, how??? No doubt there was foul play, they should've investigated the ballot boxes and done an audit.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

We just need a Democratic governor to address

Our horrible taxes
Horrible schools
Our out of control homeless problem.
Our over development
A decent immigration policy

We have the economy of a country but the wasting of money our state does with claiming to fix above is ridiculous.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

My favorite list is the one where you want to spend on a bunch of things but also lower taxes.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
My favorite list is the one where you want to spend on a bunch of things but also lower taxes.

No. The point is we pay a ton of taxes yet it doesn’t fix anything but newsome sure loves to brag about a surplus.

Homelessness is a crisis of epic proportions

Let’s start there.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

And because I haven't said so in a while, and particularly with today's NYT revelations, DONALD TRUMP SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR TREASON AND THROWN IN JAIL.

Condensed version:

Quote:
Maloney (D-N.Y.), chairwoman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said the notes “show that President Trump directly instructed our nation’s top law enforcement agency to take steps to overturn a free and fair election in the final days of his presidency.”

Trump: “just say the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen”

/back to your original programming
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
And because I haven't said so in a while, and particularly with today's NYT revelations, DONALD TRUMP SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR TREASON AND THROWN IN JAIL.

Condensed version:

Quote:
Maloney (D-N.Y.), chairwoman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, said the notes “show that President Trump directly instructed our nation’s top law enforcement agency to take steps to overturn a free and fair election in the final days of his presidency.”

Trump: “just say the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen”

/back to your original programming

Operative word being "should", but it's pretty clear that is never going to happen.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Republican congress people who should be called before 1/6 committee:

Quote:
NYT: At points during the call, Trump mentioned Republicans Jim Jordan, Scott Perry, and Ron Johnson.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:
NYT: At points during the call, Trump mentioned Republicans Jim Jordan, Scott Perry, and Ron Johnson.

I’ve said this 100 times but “this seems really bad”
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

March 16, 2021
Putin Did It Again: New Intelligence Report Says Moscow Helped Trump in 2020
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/03/donald-trump-russia-2020/
Quote:
According to this report, Trump, GOP Reps. Jim Jordan and Devin Nunes, Fox host Sean Hannity, and many others on the Trumpian right were parroting Putin’s propaganda.

July 4th 2018 these republicans went to Moscow to celebrate our 4th of July
Predictably, the Russians are gloating over the fact that GOP lawmakers met with their Russian counterparts in a secret room.
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1014861998042046464
@SenJohnKennedy
(LA)
@SenShelby
(AL)
@SteveDaines
(MT)
@SenJohnHoeven
(ND)
@SenJohnThune
(SD)
@JerryMoran
(KS)
@RepKayGranger
(TX)
@SenRonJohnson
(WI)

and they probably have dirt on Perry..

Paul Ryan should be brought up for Treason for knowing certain politicians were paid by Russia and he didn't alert the FBI!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I’ve said this 100 times but “this seems really bad”

It's all horrible. But the Dems need to start focusing on what to do to win elections in 2022 and 2024, because chasing the unicorn that is Republican accountability for 1/6 is a fool's folly. No elected official is going to face any consequences for their complicity in the insurrection. Even the civilians who rabidly followed their lead are going to get slaps on the wrist at worse. Fighting such a losing battle only helps the GOP build their sense of being persecuted, thus encouraging to dig in their heels. The best thing the Left can do is quit helping to make Trump a martyr and hero to the MAGAts.

There is no viable course to consequences or prosecution that will make a bit of difference. Every second spent hoping for otherwise is wasted energy. The focus needs to be on exposing and fighting voters suppression and promoting hope for change going forward.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema reportedly won’t put off vacation for reconciliation vote

NY Post

Republicans love Sinema. McConnell has been praising her. Telling his colleagues to treat her well. And even the conservative NY Post put out this headline.
Gotta laugh to keep from crying.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Republicans play offense and defense well. Democrats only play mediocre defense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

No. The point is we pay a ton of taxes yet it doesn’t fix anything but newsome sure loves to brag about a surplus.

Let’s start there.

Homelessness is not indigenous to California. It's a nationwide problem. I think we're 4th on the homeless list. IMO California's weather is a factor. I don't have any proof, it's just something I think. Unemployment is high on the list of reasons.

There are programs homeless people can apply for to get them off the streets. It would call for them to be responsible. Many don't want that day-to-day responsibility.

Los Angles is doing something to reduce homelessness. They're building shelters LINK This may become a state wide endevor.

You can't undo laziness. Some people just don't want to work.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Let’s start there.

Homelessness is not indigenous to California. It's a nationwide problem. I think we're 4th on the homeless list. IMO California's weather is a factor. I don't have any proof, it's just something I think. Unemployment is high on the list of reasons.

There are programs homeless people can apply for to get them off the streets. It would call for them to be responsible. Many don't want that day-to-day responsibility.

Los Angles is doing something to reduce homelessness. They're building shelters LINK This may become a state wide endevor.

You can't undo laziness. Some people just don't want to work.

The majority of homeless people don't suffer from some sort of character default. They have been exposed to an unfortunate circumstance (violence, abuse, death, bad health --> expensive bills, lack of food and water) and they don't have a support system many others do (family, friends, loved ones, inherited wealth). They turn to drugs or alcohol to supplement their detriments. They become a part of our screwed up prison industrial complex. And they are lucky to even get a minimum wage job when they are out.
Speaking of minimum wage jobs:
Quote:
Full-time minimum wage workers can’t afford rent anywhere in the US, according to a new report

CNBC.

Republicans love to bash "Democrat run" cities and states for having homelessness. But it's a matter of density and services provided. Which "Democrat run" areas have. And that's why homeless people not from "Democrat run" areas travel there. In terms of Southern California. Weather plays a roll as well. When you're living on the street, less freezing nights is a plus.

There will never be 100% employment. Just don't think it's possible in a free-market society. But we can be doing better. By addressing the root of the problem. Education, after school programs, social programs, and addressing drug abuse in a non-criminal manner. Till that that happens. And other things, I can't think of. The "problem" (I don't call them that, they are people) will remain.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3130, 3131, 3132 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3131 of 3671
Jump to: