The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1350, 1351, 1352 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The LBJ championship formula is clear.

1. LBJ
2. elite perimeter scorer/playmaker (Wade/Irving)
3. all star big (Bosh/Love).

We have #1 and 3, but missing #2 is really hurting us. It's like we constructed a team with #1/3, and all the role players like older versions of Battier/Haslem/Ray Allen. The latter are nice players but they function in roles b/c of having #1-3. Asking them to fill #2 is not going to end well.

lol, a lot of players can win with an elite perimeter scorer like WAde or Irving and an all star big like Bosh /Love. there is nothing we can do, Cavs drafted Kyrie, the Heat drafted Wade, so it was much easier for them to build a team than us. even if we signed butler, our roster would still be very thin as we probably won't have DG, AB, KCP or even Mcgee.

Sure. But that's the championship formula he used. I think AD is a supercharged #3, but a 35 year old LBJ would of course need someone to help on the perimeter. That the Lakers FO failed to do so is rearing its ugly head and will likely do so in the playoffs.

i think Lebron will turn it up a notch in the playoffs in terms of attacking. hopefully that will be enough.

Will he have the legs tho?

Pay special mind to the age of the guys ahead of him and the amount of games played vs Bron’s 41.

Spoiler alert: only 30y/o Harden and 23 y/o Booker have played fewer or an equivalent number of games as 35 y/o Bron has.

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=MIN&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals

#GassedKing

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
This Lakers team should have been Anthony Davis's team

Describe how that works? He's not an initiator or creator? You mean like the first game where he's posting up 20+ times?

AD needs a guy like LBJ.

The real problem is LBJ needs an elite perimeter scorer/playmaker. We spent nearly a full max slot on a bunch of non-elite players.

It works just like the old Lakers were Shaq's team. Or Giannis on the Bucks. You work inside and Davis either do his thing or kick it out to shooters, or to a cutter. As it is, Lebron-ball consumes Davis's touches, which means he mentally checks out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Describe how that works? He's not an initiator or creator? You mean like the first game where he's posting up 20+ times?

AD needs a guy like LBJ.

The real problem is LBJ needs an elite perimeter scorer/playmaker. We spent nearly a full max slot on a bunch of non-elite players.

It works just like the old Lakers were Shaq's team. Or Giannis on the Bucks. You work inside and Davis either do his thing or kick it out to shooters, or to a cutter. As it is, Lebron-ball consumes Davis's touches, which means he mentally checks out.

Yeah, that 2000-version of the NBA is gone.

Giannis is a point-forward; AD is not. He is a finisher more than a creator. AD without LBJ is not as effective. LBJ has been really pushing AD harder this year, and I think AD the same for LBJ on defense. They're ideal for each other.

What is missing is the 3rd part of the leg, a good perimeter scorer/playmaker.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Lebron needed someone on the perimeter more than he needed AD. But that ship has sailed. At one point last night Lebron had the ball in the corner, AD was just outside the paint and Dwight was in the paint. AD and Dwight were about 5-6 feet apart, there were 3 defenders to stop Lebron and no spacing. I love AD on defense but our coaching staff needs to work on the offense.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

AD needs a guy like LBJ.

Yeah, that 2000-version of the NBA is gone.

Giannis is a point-forward; AD is not. He is a finisher more than a creator. AD without LBJ is not as effective. LBJ has been really pushing AD harder this year, and I think AD the same for LBJ on defense. They're ideal for each other.

What is missing is the 3rd part of the leg, a good perimeter scorer/playmaker.

Yup. Lebron unlocks AD. It’s obvious when watching and the data on this is clear.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

All's not lost. We can find a better perimeter playmaker than what we have.

Lakers went with "quantity" over "quality" perimeter playmakers. Just b/c we have 8 true guards doesn't mean they are great at all. In fact, the combined salary of our 8 true guards (not including Green b/c he can slide to SF) is 23.5m!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers went with "quantity" over "quality" perimeter playmakers. Just b/c we have 8 true guards doesn't mean they are great at all. In fact, the combined salary of our 8 true guards (not including Green b/c he can slide to SF) is 23.5m!

Then add Green, who isnt a 30+mpg player and you invested all that money NOT protecting your star during the regular season. You got Jaylen Brown putting him on a poster as a result haha.

AD specifically wanted to play 4, he’s a free agent at the end of the year and you choose to invest 7.5m in a center rotation where you knew Boog had to rehab his wounds and McGee is high motor low burst option that can’t play heavy minutes. FO, Da (bleep) you guys thinking?! Protect your stars ie our title hopes! We needed Dwight gifting us a buyout to add real depth at that position, otherwise we were angling to force AD against his will to play the 5 as well.

Just a wild way of how we addressed this summer and folks want to hand our FO execs of the year cause of our regular season record. Smfh.

Anyways life without Bron...

https://mobile.twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1219549949337260032

I get that AD is slowed due to his gluteal contusion, but seriously, (bleep) small ball. This isn’t about AD being soft...it’s about exploiting a clear advantage. It is more to our advantage to embrace our length and get more creative on offense. That’s on coaching. Spacing with shots that either fall or don’t is just two easy. AD can space the floor as a guy that can hit the perimeter shot. You just need to put him in a position where that can work. You can’t just put the ball in Bron’s hand and say go create. That won’t work during the postseason. Bron can salvage broken plays...but you still need to run plays.

Maybe a fan that has a more X&os acumen can help us see this better. Are we running plays that don’t entirely rely on Bron to set the table?
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The LBJ championship formula is clear.

1. LBJ
2. elite perimeter scorer/playmaker (Wade/Irving)
3. all star big (Bosh/Love).

We have #1 and 3, but missing #2 is really hurting us. It's like we constructed a team with #1/3, and all the role players like older versions of Battier/Haslem/Ray Allen. The latter are nice players but they function in roles b/c of having #1-3. Asking them to fill #2 is not going to end well.

lol, a lot of players can win with an elite perimeter scorer like WAde or Irving and an all star big like Bosh /Love. there is nothing we can do, Cavs drafted Kyrie, the Heat drafted Wade, so it was much easier for them to build a team than us. even if we signed butler, our roster would still be very thin as we probably won't have DG, AB, KCP or even Mcgee.

Sure. But that's the championship formula he used. I think AD is a supercharged #3, but a 35 year old LBJ would of course need someone to help on the perimeter. That the Lakers FO failed to do so is rearing its ugly head and will likely do so in the playoffs.

i think Lebron will turn it up a notch in the playoffs in terms of attacking. hopefully that will be enough.

Will he have the legs tho?

Pay special mind to the age of the guys ahead of him and the amount of games played vs Bron’s 41.

Spoiler alert: only 30y/o Harden and 23 y/o Booker have played fewer or an equivalent number of games as 35 y/o Bron has.

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=MIN&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals

#GassedKing

Kawhi is sitting at 1059 mins. 113th. The Lakers should really be doing what the Clippers do with their star player.

B2B coming up. Skip the Nets game.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers have a couple of secondary issues that they need to address, primarily shot creation aside from LeBron & wing defense.

But as much as those things matter, the biggest factor re: the ultimate fate of this season is how close LeBron can still get to 2018 Playoff LeBron.

https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/1219749681065906176?s=21

Last night, I mentioned 2018 vs 2020 Lebron. I’m not confident he can replicate 2018 playoff Lebron and if we don’t have that version of Lebron it’s awfully tough to envision a championship no matter who we add via trade/buyout.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers have a couple of secondary issues that they need to address, primarily shot creation aside from LeBron & wing defense.

But as much as those things matter, the biggest factor re: the ultimate fate of this season is how close LeBron can still get to 2018 Playoff LeBron.

Last night, I mentioned 2018 vs 2020 Lebron. I’m not confident he can replicate 2018 playoff Lebron and if we don’t have that version of Lebron it’s awfully tough to envision a championship no matter who we add via trade/buyout.

It’ll be great as a fan of the Lakers to watch his decline. Fun stuff.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I know I keep repeating this, but I think it is important.

Lebron James's stats in games with Finals calibur teams is dismal. He shoots a very low percentage from the field, worse from 3 point land, and he commits multiple turnovers. Every one of those games, the Lakers have lost.

In addition, and I've checked the data on it, Anthony Davis, in all of those games, also had subpar games, but moreso, he has less touches than in the games against lesser opponents.

So what?

It's obvious to me. Lebron James doesn't play well against high profile teams, and yet Vogel allows this Lebron to play a psuedo point guard position, which does nothing to facilitate the flow of the offense.

When Lebron is on his game, he's brilliant, scoring at will, getting the ball to Davis and the outside shooters where they need the ball to be effective. But when Lebron is off, which he has been against the high profile teams, the entire offense goes with him. And that I can back with data, as I've already crunched the numbers.

So, if our goal is to win the Ring this season, two things have to happen:

1) Lebron James MUST play better against the quality teams. Stop making excuses for this man. He's an incredible basketball player, one of the best to ever play the game. So why did he perform so poorly against the Clippers, Bucks, Raps, and Celts? This makes me truly wonder if Lebron isn't mentally weak when the pressure is on.

2) Vogel needs to stop using Lebron as a point foward, even if Lebron insists on playing that position to pad his assists stats. This Lakers team has several guards that can bring the ball up, why the hell is Lebron always doing it, dammit?

We have Anthony Davis team, since when is he Lebron's sidekick? How long before AD gets sick of that sht and bails? The Clips feature both KL and PG equally. But on my Lakers, Lebron has to feed AD otherwise he gets nothing. Not good.

The Lakers are good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win it all...becuase of Lebron James and Frank Vogel.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Lebron James's stats in games with Finals calibur teams is dismal. He shoots a very low percentage from the field, worse from 3 point land, and he commits multiple turnovers. Every one of those games, the Lakers have lost.

In addition, and I've checked the data on it, Anthony Davis, in all of those games, also had subpar games, but moreso, he has less touches than in the games against lesser opponents.

So what?

It's obvious to me. Lebron James doesn't play well against high profile teams, and yet Vogel allows this Lebron to play a psuedo point guard position, which does nothing to facilitate the flow of the offense.

When Lebron is on his game, he's brilliant, scoring at will, getting the ball to Davis and the outside shooters where they need the ball to be effective. But when Lebron is off, which he has been against the high profile teams, the entire offense goes with him. And that I can back with data, as I've already crunched the numbers.

1) Lebron James MUST play better against the quality teams. Stop making excuses for this man. He's an incredible basketball player, one of the best to ever play the game. So why did he perform so poorly against the Clippers, Bucks, Raps, and Celts? This makes me truly wonder if Lebron isn't mentally weak when the pressure is on.

2) Vogel needs to stop using Lebron as a point foward, even if Lebron insists on playing that position to pad his assists stats. This Lakers team has several guards that can bring the ball up, why the hell is Lebron always doing it, dammit?

We have Anthony Davis team, since when is he Lebron's sidekick? How long before AD gets sick of that sht and bails? The Clips feature both KL and PG equally. But on my Lakers, Lebron has to feed AD otherwise he gets nothing. Not good.

The Lakers are good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to win it all...becuase of Lebron James and Frank Vogel.

This happens often with bigmen in the modern NBA.. in the playoffs, they're more prone to an outing with below average touches and offense, because the pace or intensity of the game doesn't allow them to get the ball how they want - instead wings/guards just make plays as they can...
It's why Karl Towns had 8pts and 5pts his 2 first playoff games
And Embiid has had tiny games too.....
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

One of the replies that tweet got was: Rockets fan here and I watch a lot of brons games(one of my favorite players ever). He looks more spry that 2017-18.

People who never watched Lebron would be surprised how slow he usually is before the ASB. He ramps up toward the playoffs
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
troy wrote:

So what?

This happens often with bigmen in the modern NBA.. in the playoffs, they're more prone to an outing with below average touches and offense, because the pace or intensity of the game doesn't allow them to get the ball how they want - instead wings/guards just make plays as they can...

In this case, it's more because Vogel is using Lebron-ball, which doesn't allow for AD to get involved in the offense. Somebody here said it best; Lebron unlocks AD, which I think is a huge mistake.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
troy wrote:

So what?

In this case, it's more because Vogel is using Lebron-ball, which doesn't allow for AD to get involved in the offense. Somebody here said it best; Lebron unlocks AD, which I think is a huge mistake.

AD needs to be unlocked though.... he's not a creator... even 1v1 he likes low % midrange step backs.....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

One of the replies that tweet got was: Rockets fan here and I watch a lot of brons games(one of my favorite players ever). He looks more spry that 2017-18.

People who never watched Lebron would be surprised how slow he usually is before the ASB. He ramps up toward the playoffs

Another reply:

Quote:
I have watched literally every bron game for the past 5 years + many games b4 that. My assessment is that compared to 2018, he doesn’t jump as high, he misses shots around the rim within 3 feet that he almost never missed in 2018, his first step on blow bys is also slower

Imo Lebron isn’t going all out, I’m just not sure he can be 2018 Playoff Lebron. It’s just those individual matchups against the athletic wings, he has trouble.

I’m thinking AD will have to free him up in 2 man game and then you just hope AD doesn’t fade as most of the time he will have the size advantage on the switch.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Ouch.

Also, and I didn't watch much of the 17-18 playoffs, but I think he did a lot of his damage with jumpshots as opposed to blowing by guys? I know people were talking about how he killed Toronto with his fadeaways, so maybe we'll have to hope his jumper is on come playoff time
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

ut not good enough to win it all...becuase of Lebron James and Frank Vogel.

I wouldn't worry about it. How someone plays against a team in one or two games in the first half of the regular season isn't predictive of how he might do if they meet up in the playoffs.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Of course Bron is less athletic than 2 years ago.. these missed layups and declining ability to beat bigs off the dribble are increasingly new
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
drae wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Another reply:

Quote:
I have watched literally every bron game for the past 5 years + many games b4 that. My assessment is that compared to 2018, he doesn’t jump as high, he misses shots around the rim within 3 feet that he almost never missed in 2018, his first step on blow bys is also slower

Imo Lebron isn’t going all out, I’m just not sure he can be 2018 Playoff Lebron. It’s just those individual matchups against the athletic wings, he has trouble.

I’m thinking AD will have to free him up in 2 man game and then you just hope AD doesn’t fade as most of the time he will have the size advantage on the switch.

I don’t know what or how much Lebron has left in the tank. We’ll all find out together over the next few months. What I do know is that he’d rather have people questioning him after a meaningless January game in Boston than after any game played in the spring.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

even Bron before the groin last year was probably a tad more athletic than this year, he drove more and was a bit more creative on the drives. it's impossible to age backwards..
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
even Bron before the groin last year was probably a tad more athletic than this year, he drove more and was a bit more creative on the drives. it's impossible to age backwards..

Correct. I think sometimes people misconstrue it as Lebron bashing. Far from it...he’s 35 years old and he still plays at a high level. He just has certain things that he struggles with now.

Most 35 year olds are washed, out of the league or end of bench role players. Nothing against Lebron, it is what it is.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Correct. I think sometimes people misconstrue it as Lebron bashing. Far from it...he’s 35 years old and he still plays at a high level. He just has certain things that he struggles with now.

Most 35 year olds are washed, out of the league or end of bench role players. Nothing against Lebron, it is what it is.

If he's 35 and spending what fuel is left in his tank, then can someone please explain why he's spending his energy playing the point when we have guards to do that?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

If he's 35 and spending what fuel is left in his tank, then can someone please explain why he's spending his energy playing the point when we have guards to do that?

we don't really have guards to do it.. Rondo is our only capable creator and he's washed. Cook isn't a good playmaker, he comes off screens and if he has to do anything other than shoot, it's very dicey, like SG passing capability - Caruso is even lesser..

Bron is banking on having had the whole Summer off.. he looks good for 35; this is like Kobe's season where he tore his Achilles, Kobe was old but didn't care........ Bron is old and doesn't care; and he's a tank so there's no reason to really fear injury other than the groin
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Imo it’s just him doing what he’s always known.

It would behoove him to give up a big chunk of point role once they get a PG and he play off ball and posting up and destroying his opponent.

There is also a trust factor with Lebron and I don’t think he trusts anyone to read the game and facilitate like him but he’s going to have to just trust imo. We need a guy who can get by his man without PnR.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1350, 1351, 1352 ... 2084, 2085, 2086  Next
Page 1351 of 2086
Jump to: