OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

cheesehead88 wrote:
Kjj10697X wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, it's a Kuz conundrum.

My suspicion is that Kuz ultimately wants out of the Lakers b/c he will never be a starter with LBJ/AD there, which will directly affect his bottom line (extension eligible this summer, RFA next summer).

I'm not sure what that should mean trade-wise, but yeah, seems Kuz will never be happy with his bench role.

Kobe was a bench player for a while. LBJ is not getting any younger. Kuz can play that LO role and get the minutes backing up PF and SF. Don't trade the Kuz. We need him.

No need to trade Kuz. If Vogel somehow figures it out, he will put LeBron at the 1 and put Kuz at the 3. Bradley or Green can play the 2. Follow the Showtime Lakers where Magic was the 1.

Kuz is quick enough to guard 2's or 3's (if he tries). If he is suffering, then sub him out for KCP.

It's that simple. Kuz is not pouting. He knows his time is coming.....most likely right one or two weeks before the playoffs, he will start.

Bron getting slower every year
Just have him guard the weaker offensive 2 or 3
Bradley or Green guard 1s
AD 4
Dwight 5

When Magic got older he stopped guarding ones and started guarding 2 and 3s

Scott or Worthy would guard the better offensive players

Even AD can guard 2 and 3s

Kuzma needs to start

Vogel has to find a way to do it

Then start Caruso

This is not going to work. Worthy was an ace defender who could guard perimeter guys. Kuz struggles to defend PFs so having AD become a perimeter defender is not tenable. If LBJ is getting slower, he isn't going to then be guarding quicker SGs/SFs.

I just think this is the underlying motivation from Kuz that we do not want to talk about. He doesn't seem to be happy about his bench role and b/c his best positions are at forward (which happen to be occupied by LBJ/AD), it is an awkward fit.
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

Is Khris Middleton quick?

Middleton has the knees of a 40 year old and can barely get off the floor.

Lakers will be playing Bucks in the Finals

https://www.lineups.com/nba/lineups/milwaukee-bucks

Why can’t Bron guard Middleton or Brook Lopez ?

Neither of those guys are mobile and have knees of 40 to 50 year old.

Kuzma guard Wes Matthews

Bradley or Green guard Bledsoe

Dwight/McGee or AD guard Giannis

Play off Giannis

Go under screens

Healthy does of doubles and switching

Lakers will be fine

With taller defenders/shot blockers switching and zones actually work

The Tom Thibideau/ Doc Rivers defense is essentially a zone defense

Lakers should return the favor against Kawhi and Paulina

Make Beverly and Zubac beat you
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is Khris Middleton quick?

He's been playing guard his whole life. It's not about quickness but awareness. He has a tough time with quicker SFs, how is he guarding much quicker SGs?

I'd worry more about the WC b/f coronating a Lakers/Bucks finals.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My suspicion is that Kuz ultimately wants out of the Lakers b/c he will never be a starter with LBJ/AD there, which will directly affect his bottom line (extension eligible this summer, RFA next summer).

I'm not sure what that should mean trade-wise, but yeah, seems Kuz will never be happy with his bench role.

Kobe was a bench player for a while. LBJ is not getting any younger. Kuz can play that LO role and get the minutes backing up PF and SF. Don't trade the Kuz. We need him.

That’s the problem. He seems to either not want to or is unable to.

His best games have been without AD and LBJ. That’s a bit problematic.

Give him time. He is 3rd year player with no training camp and missed games cause of injury.

Lamar was not 6moy in his 1st 30games either

Lamar was not a one dimensional chucker either. Lamar wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed but he’d look like a basketball genius next to Kuz

Last edited by BigBoi on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think so, too. He's looking to get paid with his next deal, since his current one is peanuts compared to almost all of his peers.

Can’t blame him there.
Hair dye ain’t cheap.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

It's one thing if Kuz is eagerly embracing a 6th man role; I don't think he is.

I want for Kuz to work out, as it's always nice to have home grown talent. But I can't shake the feeling that Kuz may want out.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

Kuzma can develop into an elite 6th man who gets 25-30 minutes a game on a contender by end of his rookie contract, and I think that will warrant a 70M-4 year contract. Some team may max him out at 4 years, in which case we would have to think about it and see what is going on at the time.

But I can see him get the minutes and stardom here in LA. He is learning behind the greatest SF in history of the game (sorry Bird you #2) and one of the best 2-way PFs of all time (when his career will be done). So he will learn a lot, and then improve, while having the green light to be a instant scorer off the bench.

What we are seeing now from Kuz is he is playing with some freedom and less concern. That is how he should play. No thinking, just doing. Instant offense, instant reaction, and just play. He is that sort of player. So you bring him off the bench, feel his game out, if he is way off you do not close with him. If he is on, then you close with him. Because advanced numbers show that AD-Kuzma-Lebron lineup is fantastic.

If you look back at LO, his first season coming off the bench (with a lot of starts his way because of the Bynum injuries) he averaged 11-8. By the third season and his final one as a Laker, the one he won the 6MOTY, he was up to 14,4 ppg on 53%FG and one of the best impact bench guys in the NBA. Kuzma in his first season in this role has been inconsistent, and given you 13 ppg. By next season, I can easily see him give this team 15-16 a night on good shooting. He is figuring things out already. The thing with him that makes him a special bench player for me, is he can just go off on you. He can be that guy who is going to drop 25, 30, 35 on you. Come playoffs if Kuzma can get you some games like that, they will be huge for us.

We can probably revisit a Kuzma trade in the summer. For now I would probably pass on anything unless it is for a starting caliber 2-way point guard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kuzma can develop into an elite 6th man who gets 25-30 minutes a game on a contender by end of his rookie contract, and I think that will warrant a 70M-4 year contract. Some team may max him out at 4 years, in which case we would have to think about it and see what is going on at the time.

I know that's what WE want him to be, but I'm getting the vibes that this isn't what HE wants. He probably feels his value is being artificially suppressed by having two HOFers playing his best positions, and the poor playmaker play off the bench with him which is hurting him in that capacity.

If he was a guard or played a non-AD/LBJ position, yes, I totally would be fine with that trajectory.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

Y- how do you know so much about how Kuz feels? Kid is keeping his head down and playing ball. Vogel said a lot of people are trying to make up an issue where there is none.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I know that's what WE want him to be, but I'm getting the vibes that this isn't what HE wants. He probably feels his value is being artificially suppressed by having two HOFers playing his best positions, and the poor playmaker play off the bench with him which is hurting him in that capacity.

If he was a guard or played a non-AD/LBJ position, yes, I totally would be fine with that trajectory.

I do not think so, because if he wanted out of LA, he easily could have told CAA to get him traded when reports came up that Lakers were talking to teams. Instead he elevated his level of play, and showcased himself as how valuable he could be to the Lakers. He is always going to be the outcast in a way on the team in the sense he is the guy who has a role to score, and score in a way that takes the ball away from AD and Lebron. Everyone else defers to AD-Lebron, and Kuzma has the ability and has shown he can ignore them and make another play. While he matures and develops into a smarter player, it can pay off dividends to everyone. Right now the trust is getting there in the team. Before when he first came, neither he or the team really trusted him. You can sense right now, the team has began to trust him.

I do not think Kuzma has Brandon Ingram potential, where he can score 24 a night on a bad team. I think he is more along the lines of a 20-22 ppg on a bad team without the same playmaking that Ingram shows, and a 14-16 ppg guy on a good team. Also IMO when a guy drops 3rd option numbers on a great team, then he a) gets paid and b) gets a lot more positive exposure than if he dropped 20-22 ppg on a bad team.

All we need from Kuzma, is what he has done these last 11 games. About 15-16 a game in 27 minutes. Meanwhile working with Frank Vogel on becoming a 2-way player. His D better than last year for sure. This will get him a lot of positive attention. Does Kuzma really prefer being the star of a bad team like say the Charlotte Hornets? Why be a 20 point guy on a 50+ loss team when you can be a 15 ppg guy on a 60 win team that contends for the title. And Lebron, he won't be starting forever. 2 years more at most, after this season.

I mean - look at Andrew Wiggins. Does Kuzma want to be that kind of guy? No one gives a damn about Wiggins ..... and Wiggins is a really good scorer in the league.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Y- how do you know so much about how Kuz feels? Kid is keeping his head down and playing ball. Vogel said a lot of people are trying to make up an issue where there is none.

I didn't say I knew it.

It's just how I feel about it.

I think a lot of the kids from last year also felt a bit of it too.

The exacerbating factor is that he is up for a pay day this summer (extension eligible) and RFA (next summer). He wants to maximize his next deal and being a 6th man behind AD/LBJ isn't going to get him that. We have to be realistic here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I do not think so, because if he wanted out of LA, he easily could have told CAA to get him traded when reports came up that Lakers were talking to teams. Instead he elevated his level of play, and showcased himself as how valuable he could be to the Lakers. He is always going to be the outcast in a way on the team in the sense he is the guy who has a role to score, and score in a way that takes the ball away from AD and Lebron. Everyone else defers to AD-Lebron, and Kuzma has the ability and has shown he can ignore them and make another play. While he matures and develops into a smarter player, it can pay off dividends to everyone. Right now the trust is getting there in the team. Before when he first came, neither he or the team really trusted him. You can sense right now, the team has began to trust him.

I do not think Kuzma has Brandon Ingram potential, where he can score 24 a night on a bad team. I think he is more along the lines of a 20-22 ppg on a bad team without the same playmaking that Ingram shows, and a 14-16 ppg guy on a good team. Also IMO when a guy drops 3rd option numbers on a great team, then he a) gets paid and b) gets a lot more positive exposure than if he dropped 20-22 ppg on a bad team.

All we need from Kuzma, is what he has done these last 11 games. About 15-16 a game in 27 minutes. Meanwhile working with Frank Vogel on becoming a 2-way player. His D better than last year for sure. This will get him a lot of positive attention. Does Kuzma really prefer being the star of a bad team like say the Charlotte Hornets? Why be a 20 point guy on a 50+ loss team when you can be a 15 ppg guy on a 60 win team that contends for the title. And Lebron, he won't be starting forever. 2 years more at most, after this season.

I mean - look at Andrew Wiggins. Does Kuzma want to be that kind of guy? No one gives a damn about Wiggins ..... and Wiggins is a really good scorer in the league.

Do we know what hair style Kuz will have next week?

Do we really know anything?

My guess (and it's not that I know anything directly about Kuz's thinking) is that he would like a bigger role. But the problem is a good one to have - AD/LBJ play his positions.

Now, if Kuz was a scoring SG it would be a different beast. We could find creative ways to start him but he's not.

It's a Kuz conundrum.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

Difference in last season and this is huge.
Last season Luke was coaching and there was a lack of collaboration.
This season Frank is coaching, and maybe his best trait is how he tries to involve everyone on his team.

Even when someone sucks, Frank seems to find ways to get him some sort of minutes and role. He has not lost his faith in any player. I think what we are seeing from Kuzma is sort of what we saw from KCP. At first KCP sucked. Then he got comfortable in his role in this system. Now KCP is who he is. Same with Kuzma, IMO. These 11 games are not a mirage, He is becoming who we thought he would be.

Now as to other guys, I would guess if Ball was on this team he would love it, even in the Rondo role off the bench. He would thrive. The young guys last year were in a different culture and system, the same type of culture and system you see in New Orleans now. Does Kuzma who suffered through 2 years of that really want to go back to that? IDK.

I'd still shop Danny Green's expiring K and Kuzma this summer hard (maybe even on draft day with our 1st round pick). Dunno what that would fetch, but if it's an all-star caliber guard, I would strongly consider it. I am open to moving Kuzma, but the value coming back needs to be really significant.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“Kuzma is their best trade asset and I’m just going to say, there’s conflicting information out there about him. I’ve talked to three or four different teams who told me ‘Kyle Kuzma is available for trade. He can be had.’ There have been reports elsewhere and other people elsewhere have said that the Lakers have indicated they do not want to trade him.”

Keep 'em guessing, Rob.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You do realize Yin that this is YOUR interpretation of him and we don't have even one quote to suggest he's unhappy with his role on this team.

Kuz has never demanded to start...never demanded a trade...and by all accounts has been an excellent teammate.

If he wants more minutes or to start then he needs to focus on defense when playing for a defensive minded HC. Just saying dude...you been pushing this narrative a bit and I'm not sure it has a lot of substance.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Plus there are reports of him getting advise from Kobe as to what he needs to do to not get traded.

#BannersOverBillboards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

You do realize Yin that this is YOUR interpretation of him and we don't have even one quote to suggest he's unhappy with his role on this team.

Kuz has never demanded to start...never demanded a trade...and by all accounts has been an excellent teammate.

If he wants more minutes or to start then he needs to focus on defense when playing for a defensive minded HC. Just saying dude...you been pushing this narrative a bit and I'm not sure it has a lot of substance.

I have said it repeatedly that it is my opinion/interpretation.

But it's not far fetched at all. He sees the freedom that guys like BI/Zo have now (and BI will likely get a max deal) while he has his minutes reduced by nearly 10mpg and a bench role.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I didn't say I knew it.

It's just how I feel about it.

I think a lot of the kids from last year also felt a bit of it too.

The exacerbating factor is that he is up for a pay day this summer (extension eligible) and RFA (next summer). He wants to maximize his next deal and being a 6th man behind AD/LBJ isn't going to get him that. We have to be realistic here.

Wanting something to be true doesn't make it fact Yin.

You an army of 1 on this one.

Trust your gut sure, but look for some facts to back you up.

I'm with wolf here...No reason to trade him this in season unless a deal floors you and we can replace his size in the process. Off season...absolutely shop him for something that knocks you off your feet, but the reality is that we control his future for at least 2 more seasons.

Why on Earth would we give that up when he's not a malcontent and a relative financial bargain?

I'm a fan of never doing what we did for Jules ever, ever again. You never give up a player without getting something back. Did it for D12 and it bit us when we could have done a S&T. Did it for Jules when we could have kept him or traded him S&T'd him for a 2nd or a player.

Kuz is garnering far too much speculations imo. He's a player with tremendous offensive potential that's mega inconsistent...and tremendous defensive deficiencies that are on display consistently.

#BannersOverBillboards
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:

That's fine. But you don't know either. This is all opinion which I'm openly saying it is.

But folks forget that the NBA is also a career. Kuz is getting paid pennies as a #27 pick compared to someone like BI. His extension is getting affected by his role.

You do the math. Just an opinion.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I have said it repeatedly that it is my opinion/interpretation.

But it's not far fetched at all. He sees the freedom that guys like BI/Zo have now (and BI will likely get a max deal) while he has his minutes reduced by nearly 10mpg and a bench role.

It's incredibly speculative and I'm wondering what you have to substantiate your opinion?

So far it reads over the last few pages like a gut feeling based upon what you think the other players are feeling?

Would Kuz rather be on a team in the largest Ball Market in the country that's championship bound where he can shine his game throughout the playoffs and reap a lot of endorsements or would he rather be in New Orleans where he can put up 25 on a crap team no one cares about?

The Lakers really went to the wall to keep him this summer...what moron player would want to leave that and a chance a championships to start in Charlotte or Sacramento or Minnesota?

My opinion is that you aren't really seeing this clearly.

BI might not care, Zo definitely did, so did Josh. I can't imagine either of those 2 would rather be a Pelican than a Laker on a Mission for 17 and Immortality in LA...sorry bro...I think you way off here.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's fine. But you don't know either. This is all opinion which I'm openly saying it is.

But folks forget that the NBA is also a career. Kuz is getting paid pennies as a #27 pick compared to someone like BI. His extension is getting affected by his role.

I don't...but I'm also not running up and down this thread trying to convince everyone that my gut is right.

Kuz gonna make the same money here this year he gonna make anywhere in the NBA...but he ain't gonna make the same endorsement money in Cleveland that he's gonna make here.

Kuz ain't getting paid until this off season and likely not even then. There is a very real possibility that he works for 2 comma peanuts next year too and that he breaks the bank 2 off seasons from now.

Just still asking you to provide anything to substantiate your claim and you still avoiding that instead of just saying because of x,y, and z.

This on you bro.

#BannersOverBillboards

Last edited by CervantesRises on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I don't...but I'm also not running up and down this thread trying to convince everyone that my gut is right.

Just still asking you to provide anything to substantiate your claim and you still avoiding that instead of just saying because of x,y, and z.

This on you bro.

People aren't allowed to make opinions? How many opinions are supported with primary evidence? Relax.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

This on you bro.

People aren't allowed to make opinions? How many opinions are supported with primary evidence? Relax.

I'm incredibly relaxed lol...had a great morning of meditation and yoga...just discussing your take on Kuzma and again for like the 5th time asking for you to substantiate your opinion, which you aren't doing.

How about you point to a quote or some body language or that Javale fronted on him 'JUST THROW THE LOB BRO!' as anything to support your feeling.

This feels like you want to be right and wolf, me, DrFunk just countering it.

I'm going one step further to ask you to substantiate it so the conversation can move forward because you always give good takes...this ain't one of them imo...but that's just my opinion.

Relaxed though? Trust me...I'm the captain of my emotional cruise ship. I got me bro.

And to respond to your final observation...more opinions should be based upon factual evidence...too much of this incredible gift that the internet is, is filled with opinions high on emotion and low on facts.

#BannersOverBillboards

Last edited by CervantesRises on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

I love you too. It's an opinion. That's all.

They're not refuting it with facts, just counter opinion. So it's all good talk. No one is offended nor is it outside the bounds of discourse here.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

kuzma did make that one comment about him rather being in the press than playing in Orlando
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 687 of 880
Jump to: