OFFICIAL Alex The Pope Caruso Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I did not see the passing windows available that you did and the Nets defense was geared toward creating a Caruso v. Allen/Jordan 1:1 because he's not capable most nights of taking that on. Hopefully there's a video breakdown that'll show up on YouTube that demonstrates the missed dump-off windows you're referencing because that would be a manageable fix to make.

Did he miss reads that you saw when Caruso was out there with AD/McGee as roll men?

This will show you all his shot attempts.
https://on.nba.com/2MvO2fN

It's not like I hate Caruso. He did some things well. Liked the steals and the block. And the catch and shoot 3s. Just highlighting that he's treated a little differently than Rondo on LG.

Thank you for that. I could be talked into him missing a lob opportunity to McGee there - though AC got the big to commit and JaVale wasn't being boxed out - but I'm not seeing the passing windows to Cacock outside of a dump off AC could've made coming off that cut going full steam at the basket. The kid yammed on Durant last season, so I don't blame him for feeling himself a bit in that situation.

You came in full guns blasting against perceived board hypocrisy because you saw Caruso's game as roast-worthy. It feels like there'll be better games in the future for you to point out double standards.

Regardless, hopefully neither guy is getting significant minutes next season.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

When I said "If rondo had a game like caruso's LG would be roasting him right now."
I think you felt I was saying Caruso had a horrible game. The end of the fourth was rough. No lying about that. But it was a mixed game (some good, some bad).
And when Rondo has mixed games. You'd think he killed someone. That was my point.
I don't like the inconsistent judging.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
When I said "If rondo had a game like caruso's LG would be roasting him right now."
I think you felt I was saying Caruso had a horrible game. The end of the fourth was rough. No lying about that. But it was a mixed game (some good, some bad).
And when Rondo has mixed games. You'd think he killed someone. That was my point.
I don't like the inconsistent judging.

Most of Rondo's negative impact comes through spacing issues and poor defense, particularly in his lack of effort/ability to fight through screens. Most nights that's not immediately quantifiable and not something most viewers will pick up on during the course of a game without focusing specifically on him for every possession.

Given recent history, I'd argue that most of his seemingly mixed games are more negatively impactful than they appear on paper or on a first viewing. But it'd be nice if we all were nicer on this forum and not oscillate between trashing and overpraising players from game to game.
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

He needs to use a jumper on a pick and pop, not always a roll to the hoop. Kind of a mixed game from him. He could have handled it better in the end but I'm assuming the coaching staff will hold everyone accountable.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
kikanga wrote:
If rondo had a game like caruso's LG would be roasting him right now.

11 points (4-12, 3-4 from 3), 8 assists (4 tovs), 3 steals, and 2 blocks is roast-worthy? Is that line that bad?

And did you watch the game? Kind of tough to score at the rim when Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan completely ignore your roll man.

People were roasting Rondo game 1, and he played well. That's kinda my point.
Watched the 2nd half. Liked his defense. 3 steal and 1 block is good. Hit some nice catch and shoot 3s. Just didn't like the turnovers and his finishing around the hoop. There were some drop passes to the big that were available.

Did Rondo play well in game 1?

Having Cacock get blocked instead would've improved Caruso's statline, I agree.

The two late turnovers were poor, but he finished with a non-roast-worthy 2:1 ATR. I question how much better the outcome would've been with Rondo surrounded by KCP, Norvell, Jackson, and Cacock.

I feel like yours would've been a better snarky post for the Avery Bradley thread because as of this point he looks like he should be third on the depth chart behind Rondo and Caruso in some order.

totally agree
Caruso is playing well considering the lineups he has to carry. Its obvious he would look even better if he's playing in Rondo's rotations so far and I'd bet Rondo would look a good amount worse in those garbage lineups Caruso is in.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Given that it looks like Caruso has no midrange game, I saw this quote from him when he talked about what he worked on this summer, and it may be a red flag, or at least concerning:

Quote:
“The crazy thing about that is I don’t think there was anything… there was nothing concrete in the game that I think really needed to add,” Caruso noted during 2019 Lakers Media Day.

“I think it was just about developing, just continuing to improve on the things that I was already doing well. Make good decisions as a point guard, being able to decipher whether it’s to run the team or be aggressive in transition and push the pace, continue to shoot the ball really well.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-alex-caruso-shares-what-he-worked-on-during-2019-nba-offseason/2019/10/02/
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't think you can tell what a player worked on, and how hard they worked in the Summer, by a 2 sentence quote. I don't even think a handful of instagram videos can tell you that. A lot of players just say "I just worked on everything. just tried to get better in everything, not once specific thing". And thats along the lines of his quote imo.

With the midrange --------- look, we're used to our young players having real deficiencies shooting in some range - Zo midrange, Ingram long distance; that was mechanical.. Some players don't have technical incapabilities like that. Caruso's lack of midrange could be just not looking for it - and that can be fixed in a season if you're a legit shooter. We as fans aren't used to a player not having a massive skill deficiency that takes years to possibly fix.. it's not like that for a lot of players. Put a lot of LGers out on a court and we can hit from any range, lol, our prior players just had massive skill holes

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

It's way too early to assess anything at this point; need more data.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

lounger wrote:
He needs to use a jumper on a pick and pop, not always a roll to the hoop. Kind of a mixed game from him. He could have handled it better in the end but I'm assuming the coaching staff will hold everyone accountable.

with all the scrubs he is playing??? he shouldn't even have the ball so much in his hands.. if he plays with LbJ he can play more off the ball and his shooting would come in handy.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Made Cacok a lot of $ in the 3rd the way he set him up. I don't know if he was tight or what when he was slipping and sliding in the first half.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Quite a few players were slipping and sliding that first game.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

looking like a G league player
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

He's doing that JC thing where he flings himself into bigger defenders hoping to get a call but instead is getting eaten up. Defenders know about his dunks last season and aren't planning on getting yamned on by a bald white kid.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
looking like a G league player

On offense
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

He should still get reps with the starters, unfortunately AD will not be available likely for a week or two at least.

Bradley will start I think, and he needs to hit his 3s.
Rondo will be first change, and rightfully so far. However Rondo should have a very short leash, if he is not spacing the floor and making his 3s or increasing the momentum of the game towards us.
Then it should come down to going back to Bradley if Bradly is making his 3s or giving Cook or Caruso a try. Cook is someone I want to see with the starters or in a death lineup because of his potency as a shooter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Caruso has not played consistently bad this preseason, he's had good stretches, he just hasn't played consistently good. Not that his end-of-game lineups have provided him anything to work with. That is when Caruso is at his worst. On offense. AC's defense still beats Rondo's.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

his defense is really good.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Caruso will impact wins this season.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

MY problem is . . . I am expecting Caruso to look like a borderline NBA starter/definite rotation player against the 2nd unit players of the Nets.

I know that player-for-player, the Nets had better guys on the floor (I'm sure their owner wanted the win in his homeland) and AC was going up against DJ and other higher caliber guys. Unfortunately, AC didn't look like he belonged out there at all with 6-10 rotation players. He looks like a 12-15 player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
MY problem is . . . I am expecting Caruso to look like a borderline NBA starter/definite rotation player against the 2nd unit players of the Nets.

I know that player-for-player, the Nets had better guys on the floor (I'm sure their owner wanted the win in his homeland) and AC was going up against DJ and other higher caliber guys. Unfortunately, AC didn't look like he belonged out there at all with 6-10 rotation players. He looks like a 12-15 player.

I would argue that is also what Rondo is looking like and Bradley is offensively. At least Caruso and Bradley play solid defense. I know that the plan is for Lebron to create offense for the starters but having someone else being able to do the same while shooting and defending would be nice.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Caruso could look solid in a secondary playmaker role; cuz he makes nice dishes consistently.. I just don’t think setting up the offense consistently, and being a main cog for it to run - is something he’s ready for at the moment, especially with bad teammates surrounding him. Being surrounded by bad players is tough, it’s easy to force things..I don’t think anything less than a fringe allstar can carry a unit like that; a normally player will be prone to doing too much.
In the right situation he’s probably a solid player
A Van Vleet
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Caruso could look solid in a secondary playmaker role; cuz he makes nice dishes consistently.. I just don’t think setting up the offense consistently, and being a main cog for it to run - is something he’s ready for at the moment, especially with bad teammates surrounding him. Being surrounded by bad players is tough, it’s easy to force things..I don’t think anything less than a fringe allstar can carry a unit like that; a normally player will be prone to doing too much.
A Van Vleet

If he becomes FVV-ish, that's a big win for us.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
A Van Vleet

In a couple of years,.....
yes, no, maybe
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Caruso will impact wins this season.

By turning them into losses.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
A Van Vleet

In a couple of years,.....
yes, no, maybe

they're different players anyway.. a bad comparison. FVV was huge in the Finals by being a simple shooter. And he had his lulls in the playoffs, and during the season as well. Undrafted, 6', below avg athlete. Also didn't play in a lineup with Bradley, Norvell, Cacok, Dwight. ...Caruso has some nice passing chops and will be a solid spot up shooter - but he's not a guy who can run a unit.. As a secondary playmaker he could make more plays than Bradley, and not hog the ball like Rondo.
He's also a really really good defender
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 49 of 132
Jump to: