OFFICIAL Alex The Pope Caruso Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 130, 131, 132  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Caruso could look solid in a secondary playmaker role; cuz he makes nice dishes consistently.. I just don’t think setting up the offense consistently, and being a main cog for it to run - is something he’s ready for at the moment, especially with bad teammates surrounding him. Being surrounded by bad players is tough, it’s easy to force things..I don’t think anything less than a fringe allstar can carry a unit like that; a normally player will be prone to doing too much.
In the right situation he’s probably a solid player
A Van Vleet

If he becomes FVV-ish, that's a big win for us.
In a couple of years,.....
yes, no, maybe

they're different players anyway.. a bad comparison. FVV was huge in the Finals by being a simple shooter. And he had his lulls in the playoffs, and during the season as well. Undrafted, 6', below avg athlete. Also didn't play in a lineup with Bradley, Norvell, Cacok, Dwight. ...Caruso has some nice passing chops and will be a solid spot up shooter - but he's not a guy who can run a unit.. As a secondary playmaker he could make more plays than Bradley, and not hog the ball like Rondo.
He's also a really really good defender

You continue to push that, and it may be true, but he's certainly not a defensive QB because his unit has looked completely disorganized on defense.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Caruso could look solid in a secondary playmaker role; cuz he makes nice dishes consistently.. I just don’t think setting up the offense consistently, and being a main cog for it to run - is something he’s ready for at the moment, especially with bad teammates surrounding him. Being surrounded by bad players is tough, it’s easy to force things..I don’t think anything less than a fringe allstar can carry a unit like that; a normally player will be prone to doing too much.
In the right situation he’s probably a solid player
A Van Vleet

If he becomes FVV-ish, that's a big win for us.
In a couple of years,.....
yes, no, maybe

they're different players anyway.. a bad comparison. FVV was huge in the Finals by being a simple shooter. And he had his lulls in the playoffs, and during the season as well. Undrafted, 6', below avg athlete. Also didn't play in a lineup with Bradley, Norvell, Cacok, Dwight. ...Caruso has some nice passing chops and will be a solid spot up shooter - but he's not a guy who can run a unit.. As a secondary playmaker he could make more plays than Bradley, and not hog the ball like Rondo.
He's also a really really good defender

You continue to push that, and it may be true, but he's certainly not a defensive QB because his unit has looked completely disorganized on defense.

I don't really look for defensive QBs... Even Kawhi at his peak defensively was just a 1 man stopper, a cornerback per-se. I'm not really privy to the defender you mention...maybe a bigman.. AD has been great defensively; lifts up the unit -------- maybe that term is reserved for bigs that can protect the rim and switch; as well as call out plays and such(usually a bigmans job)

Caruso just plays that nice wing defense that so many get lauded for. Forces his man into tough shots with back-pressure cuz he's 6'5, he's a pest, and he has IQ to get in lanes and such. A legit plus defender
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject:

Caruso just needs more time & experience. He has the tools & the work ethic.
He probably will never be the gangbuster that many on here envision but he can become a solid NBA player. Patience is the key.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject:

He needs to show he can play well consistently when the games count. He had a good stretch last season when we were well into the tank and teams weren’t trying that hard, similar to Josh Hart in his rookie season. But can he do it when teams are taking us seriously? I hope so.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

Missed the game. How was his D? I imagine it was good. He had a good +/-
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

Rondo is going to be this team's starter. Caruso hadn't played virtually any time with the main players and is always put in a position to be a creator for others. Caruso doesn't have that in his toolkit. He's being put in a position to fail.

Yesterday was a golden opportunity for Caruso to make a case for that starting gig, but he did a poor job of claiming it. Add to the fact that Vogel probably wants someone who will not back down from Beverly on opening night, and you have Rondo. It's going to be a slow start
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Rondo is going to be this team's starter. Caruso hadn't played virtually any time with the main players and is always put in a position to be a creator for others. Caruso doesn't have that in his toolkit. He's being put in a position to fail.

Yesterday was a golden opportunity for Caruso to make a case for that starting gig, but he did a poor job of claiming it. Add to the fact that Vogel probably wants someone who will not back down from Beverly on opening night, and you have Rondo. It's going to be a slow start

This is a bad idea.

we had more than enough of a sample size last season to know that LBJ/Rondo do not work.

I'd start Bradley, and Rondo probably will be the 1st PG subbed in. Hopefully he comes in once LBJ sits out. I don't want to see them playing together.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

Overall Caruso was not impressive but he played a good defensive game. His offense was not quite ready for prime-time last night. He needs to step up because Cook & Daniels are waiting in the wings.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Overall Caruso was not impressive but he played a good defensive game. His offense was not quite ready for prime-time last night. He needs to step up because Cook & Daniels are waiting in the wings.

He should be back in G league and should have both Troy and Cook ahead of him on the depth chart
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
pio2u wrote:

He should be back in G league and should have both Troy and Cook ahead of him on the depth chart

Neither Daniels or Cook can play PG, they are part of our 7 man SG group.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Their shooting is more valuable we have Bron and rondo to set the plate for them to hit 3s. Caruso gives us nothing
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Their shooting is more valuable we have Bron and rondo to set the plate for them to hit 3s. Caruso gives us nothing

I'm usually annoyed by the pro-Alex hyperbole. So I appreciate takes that lower expectations. But, your take seems like it's going way over to the other side of the spectrum. As mentioned even in this chain, he does give us "some" things: bit of playmaking, outside shooting, aspects of defense.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

For some reason Caruso took a step back so far, maybe last year was just a few meaningless games that made him look great, or maybe it's Vogel's offense that doesn't work for him.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

This is a bad idea.

we had more than enough of a sample size last season to know that LBJ/Rondo do not work.

I'd start Bradley, and Rondo probably will be the 1st PG subbed in. Hopefully he comes in once LBJ sits out. I don't want to see them playing together.

I'm fine with them sharing the court a little bit. But besides that I agree. Leaving the option open for Caruso, Cook, or Daniels to start later this season if they show they're up to the task.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Caruso played nice D yesterday
I just don’t think he has starter level offense

But if he develops as a scorer around AD and LBJ. Then I can see him start.

For now his best attribute is his team D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

I thought Vogel was going to switch up lineups around Lebron+AD but he never gave Caruso a fair chance
ofcourse Rondo will look relatively decent playing in those lineups while Caruso is playing with camp fodder players
he's had some shaky outings but I still believe he offers the best mix of defense+shooting+playmaking of all the PGs.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I thought Vogel was going to switch up lineups around Lebron+AD but he never gave Caruso a fair chance
ofcourse Rondo will look relatively decent playing in those lineups while Caruso is playing with camp fodder players
he's had some shaky outings but I still believe he offers the best mix of defense+shooting+playmaking of all the PGs.

Fair shot? Caruso just really isnt that good... His shot is slow and inconsistent, and he cant finish in the paint unless its an alleyoop or a dunk. I know we all want to Like Caruso.. But he was barely drafted for a reason

Rondo is a lot better of a playmaker than Caruso
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of a more athletic Dellavadova. We all remember how good he was making Curry work in the finals. AC has physical tools Delly just never did that can allow him to impact the game in different ways.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Is Caruso a better defender than Bradley? If so there is zero reason to start Bradley over Caruso. Gimme that big long starting lineup.

Hands errywhere
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Fair shot? Caruso just really isnt that good... His shot is slow and inconsistent, and he cant finish in the paint unless its an alleyoop or a dunk. I know we all want to Like Caruso.. But he was barely drafted for a reason

Rondo really isn’t that good either. No shot, very little defense. But those are the guys Vogel has to choose from.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Rondo really isn’t that good either. No shot, very little defense. But those are the guys Vogel has to choose from.

I agree Rondo should NOT see any minutes with Bron. Those two need staggered at all costs. But his spot up shooting has been better. But his D is atrocious.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Is Caruso a better defender than Bradley? If so there is zero reason to start Bradley over Caruso. Gimme that big long starting lineup.

Hands errywhere

A healthy in shape Bradley is several entire levels above Caruso defensively imo.. Not sure what some people here are thinking when putting Caruso ahead of him on that side of the ball. I'd love to see Caruso force the coaches to give him more playing time when hes given a chance during the season to prove himself.

With this team Being so vet heavy he will def. get chances throughout the season so it's up to him to show late last season wasn't just a fluke.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Roon wrote:

Hands errywhere

A healthy in shape Bradley is several entire levels above Caruso defensively imo.. Not sure what some people here are thinking when putting Caruso ahead of him on that side of the ball. I'd love to see Caruso force the coaches to give him more playing time when hes given a chance during the season to prove himself.

With this team Being so vet heavy he will def. get chances throughout the season so it's up to him to show late last season wasn't just a fluke.

Because the Bald Eagle is bigger, younger and more athletic?

Get on board.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Caruso's minutes too have been all with the second team. I think he would look better when playing with starters.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:

Hands errywhere

I dont think Caruso is a better man to man perimeter defender.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 130, 131, 132  Next
Page 50 of 132
Jump to: