Do you like social media?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Do you like social media?

>go
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

We all could just slow down a little bit... and a little bit more... maybe recognize our next full breath of air and hold it in and slowly let it out
appreciate that air for what it does what it means inside every one of us

In many cultural texts the great spirit is also known as The Great Breath

maybe i will reply

I think Phil *will Love this video
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject:

Social media gives a lot of people a lot of power.

But with power comes great responsibility. And we haven't been very responsible.

That said, there is good that has come from it too.

I think social media, like many things, started out as an awesome thing when it was purely organic. But its also accelerated putting us in a place I hope we climb out of soon.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

As a society, we are still learning how to use social media. I predict that, over the course of time, unmoderated social media will decline and various forms of moderated social media will rise. Scammers, fake news generators, and troublemakers in general will continue to rise and will make unmoderated social media even more unpalatable. People will become willing to pay a small fee to get away from all of that.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As a society, we are still learning how to use social media. I predict that, over the course of time, unmoderated social media will decline and various forms of moderated social media will rise. Scammers, fake news generators, and troublemakers in general will continue to rise and will make unmoderated social media even more unpalatable. People will become willing to pay a small fee to get away from all of that.

I italicized

So very true in that respect but that in and of itself is also the cause of the reason they are escaping.

Until we start teaching every living being to ask themselves "Is that true.. what is the motivation for them telling me this... etc etc" then we are doomed to push away "others"

In the last 30 years
How many wars has the USA started based on lies?

Social media is sort of a test of your emotional awareness
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

Only when the right women like my posts
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:

I like the concept, it allows forums like LG. People can share ideas and positions.

I don't like the impact. People are to gullible. It's a entity that lends platforms for the lemming concept. e.g. Trump supporters.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm worried about the ones who don't care about the unmoderated social media, or worse, seek it out. Because if there's a large enough of a base of these people, then bad actors can continue to sway public opinion and even elections with propaganda.

I was thinking over the weekend about the similarities to evolution by natural selection. The current model (Gould & Eldriege) is punctuated equilibrium, which says that when the environment remains stable, there is little selective pressure and therefore a lot of stasis. But when environmental conditions change, this creates selective pressure that species must respond to...and those that can't go extinct (and about 99% of species that ever existed are now extinct). It is these times of changing environmental conditions that drive species changes, along with mass extinctions.

If you apply this idea to societies, some of the same patterns emerge. While it's possible for actual environmental changes to have a devastating effect on our species*, the more immediate and drastic effect will be due to social changes. We were in a state of equilibrium for a long time, where trusted entitles (the media) vetted and moderated the content that reached us**. The ubiquity of social media changes all that -- now anyone (those who know what they're doing and those who don't; good actors and bad) can be their own publisher, and can have tremendous reach & impact.

This sociological change is creating tremendous pressure to evolve. Either we develop the critical thinking chops to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to information, or we fall victim to it....likely with devastating consequences somewhere down the road***. And like with herd immunity, a very high percentage of people need to be "vaccinated" to stop the "disease" from being able to proliferate. Or to put it another way, just a small percentage of people being unable to adapt to the influx of fake news/propaganda can have a very bad effect on all of us.

Species that can't adapt when environmental conditions change join the scrap heap of extinction. I'm not entirely sanguine about our prospects.

------

* The immediate thing that comes to mind here is global climate change, but even this might not be enough -- i.e., it might have a devastating effect on individuals -- i.e., if we no longer have the resources to feed 50% of the population due to a combination of population growth and increasingly scarce resources, a lot of people will be in deep doo doo and it will have a huge financial impact -- but the species itself probably will be okay.

** Sure there have always been the "National Inquirer" types of media, but there are relatively few people out there who take them seriously. Traditionally they have been more noise than signal.

*** And I'd submit that we already are starting to feel these consequences. An obvious devastating end game would be someone unqualified to lead us setting off a nuclear war.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I was thinking over the weekend about the similarities to evolution by natural selection.

You need to find something better to do on the weekends.

Anyway, I think we tend to focus on politics too much when we talk about social media. Politics is a relatively small part of social media, but current events have called a lot of attention to that aspect. But there are a lot of us who have voluntarily self-vaccinated (as you put it) with respect to politics. If I have a Facebook friend who posts political stuff all the time, I un-Follow them. We're still Friends (because we're lower case friends, too), but I cut off all of the political drivel. I know a fair number of people who have done this, and I expect it to be a rising trend.

I foresee that, over time, the Trumpistas and the Snowflakes will end up in their own corners. The people who go to social media to hear about the latest outrage from the other side will diminish over time.

In that sense, it's a self correcting system. The wingnuts will get more and more outrageous as they try to get our attention, and that will just make it easier to tune them out.

The greater future for social media has little or nothing to do with politics. There is a lot of information exchanged on social media that involves everything from business to family to ordinary news.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The National Enquirer's been around since 1926. It's outlasted many reputable legitimate newspapers. You don't stay in business that long without a following. That's unnerving.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Social media gives a lot of people a lot of power.

But with power comes great responsibility. And we haven't been very responsible.

That said, there is good that has come from it too.

I think social media, like many things, started out as an awesome thing when it was purely organic. But its also accelerated putting us in a place I hope we climb out of soon.

It certainly has its pros and cons.
For one you can spread unfiltered news that isn't vetted by the corporate media/government censorship.
The cons is that because anybody can post "news" at the speed of the internet, you don't know if its reliable or verified. And it definitely scares the people in charge of the old media since they work at a slower pace.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I deleted my Facebook. I don't tweet. I've never had an Instagram.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
I deleted my Facebook. I don't tweet. I've never had an Instagram.

I'm a Facebook lurker. My son, daughter, sister and relatives post, I lurk. My family is nutso. I've tweeted maybe 5 6 times. No Instagram.

Social media's fine as long as it Social. When it becomes an addiction, a news source, it's not healthy.

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The National Enquirer's been around since 1926. It's outlasted many reputable legitimate newspapers. You don't stay in business that long without a following. That's unnerving.

It should be noted that its current emphasis is a more recent phenomenon (since the late '60s). But your point is still taken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes I use social media as a tool to get all the attention I need when I'm not getting in in real life. LOL.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Chirp!
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

IMO social media will be the end of our society and democracy. Get off your damn phones people and look where you are going! Things are so addictive that people look at them when they are driving 80 miles per hour on the freeway. They contribute to depression and suicide in kids and (bleep) their social development. Plus russian fake news bots helping to elect Trump.

Regulations on social media need to be put in place stat or we devolve into a dystopian nightmare of isolation and narcissism.

and get off my lawn you damn kids!

I personally love to get off the grid and go hiking or camping where I get no cell phone reception. It is amazing and I highly recommend it.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm worried about the ones who don't care about the unmoderated social media, or worse, seek it out. Because if there's a large enough of a base of these people, then bad actors can continue to sway public opinion and even elections with propaganda.

I was thinking over the weekend about the similarities to evolution by natural selection. The current model (Gould & Eldriege) is punctuated equilibrium, which says that when the environment remains stable, there is little selective pressure and therefore a lot of stasis. But when environmental conditions change, this creates selective pressure that species must respond to...and those that can't go extinct (and about 99% of species that ever existed are now extinct). It is these times of changing environmental conditions that drive species changes, along with mass extinctions.

If you apply this idea to societies, some of the same patterns emerge. While it's possible for actual environmental changes to have a devastating effect on our species*, the more immediate and drastic effect will be due to social changes. We were in a state of equilibrium for a long time, where trusted entitles (the media) vetted and moderated the content that reached us**. The ubiquity of social media changes all that -- now anyone (those who know what they're doing and those who don't; good actors and bad) can be their own publisher, and can have tremendous reach & impact.

This sociological change is creating tremendous pressure to evolve. Either we develop the critical thinking chops to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to information, or we fall victim to it....likely with devastating consequences somewhere down the road***. And like with herd immunity, a very high percentage of people need to be "vaccinated" to stop the "disease" from being able to proliferate. Or to put it another way, just a small percentage of people being unable to adapt to the influx of fake news/propaganda can have a very bad effect on all of us.

Species that can't adapt when environmental conditions change join the scrap heap of extinction. I'm not entirely sanguine about our prospects.

------

* The immediate thing that comes to mind here is global climate change, but even this might not be enough -- i.e., it might have a devastating effect on individuals -- i.e., if we no longer have the resources to feed 50% of the population due to a combination of population growth and increasingly scarce resources, a lot of people will be in deep doo doo and it will have a huge financial impact -- but the species itself probably will be okay.

** Sure there have always been the "National Inquirer" types of media, but there are relatively few people out there who take them seriously. Traditionally they have been more noise than signal.

*** And I'd submit that we already are starting to feel these consequences. An obvious devastating end game would be someone unqualified to lead us setting off a nuclear war.

You Sir are smart man- I totally agree wit this.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Chirp!

Hasn't been the same since the unix command line days, one could update status via a .plan file and not deal with the bandwidth clogging binaries.
Code:
Login: k2                            Name: k2
Directory: /lg/lg/y/k2              Shell: /bin/ksh
On since Wed Nov  13 15:24 (UTC) on pts/149
Mail last read Mon Mar 31 11:08 2014 (UTC)
Plan:  Must rip that smoke detector down from the ceiling.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Got an internship that basically revolved around social media which turned into a job. Getting paid just to sit around and post on insta/twitter/facebook all day is kind of sweet.

Pau Gasol is nice
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject:

And what will happen when AI starts learning about our species by scanning facebook and twitter et al
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

------

Great points, and in respect to the bolded, not only do vast numbers of social media users not mind un-moderated platforms, they prefer and thrive on them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

What are we coming to? So much has to be regulated to keep us from destroying ourselves. Education is a must.

Ahhh the good ol day when phones had party lines. You know wat I'm talkin bout AH

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What are we coming to? So much has to be regulated to keep us from destroying ourselves. Education is a must.

Ahhh the good ol day when phones had party lines. You know wat I'm talkin bout AH

Our educational system is just they way They want it.

How else can we explain this phenomena of extremely high levels of gullible idiots

If you play conspiracy theory a bit..everyone has been lulled to sleep thinking they can trust politicians..
names go on forever of politicians out to slit the throats of the little guy
etc

Politicians are not celebrities.. GET THE BLEEP BACK IN YOUR PLACES

They have very little respect for the true honor of "Service to others."

Trump got here via social media.. and scared racists
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you like social media?

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
>go
The idea of it was/is GREAT. you can bring so many people together so quickly its amazing. you can find old friends, old family, family you never knew you had.

you can enjoy a moment together and you dont have to be anywhere near the actual person.

you can collaborate on so many things.

BUt...
BUt when you realize even the good folks you know are literally fishing for likes and thumbs up with every post its gets to be a bit much. you have to catch yourself, to make sure you arent fishing for likes and thumbs ups.

its almost like its brought out a side in all of us that we didnt know existed for everyone. not just a select few.

everyone always having something to say just because its the thing to do at the moment. when in reality there is nothing thats needed to be said in certain situations.

pervs and creeps luring women and children in.. shady ladies luring guys in for nefarious reasons.

people running around on their spouses because its now so easy..too easy to connect with someone online via social media. this is where you may not have needed to RE-connect with that old friend. you know the one, that old boyfriend...or that old Friend that you wish was more than that when you were 20..now that you're 40 married with kids and you and your sig other arent doing so well. here comes your "real love" on social media "Hey, i just wanted to say Hi and I missed you all these years."

kids and people are cyber bulling one another like crazy. regular bullying with words was bad enough. now the entire world has to see that video of you tripping and falling 100 times over. Did you really have to show me get into that fist fight at the burger king when i was 16 over and over and over again. to the point I can't get into a certain college because they think I'm violent or I have violent tendencies.

You go to a job interview to find out they are snooping around your social media. you gave them your linkdin info. but no, that aint enough, they want to get into your personal life.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: