The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Son of Saul is actual vulgar auteurism, Tony Scott's ouevre has nothing on Niemes' freshman effort.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject:

The Gentlemen was a fun time. About as good as other Ritchie flick. I definitely like his style.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The Gentlemen was a fun time. About as good as other Ritchie flick. I definitely like his style.

Is it Snatch good?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Is it Snatch good?

The thing holding it back from being that good is it takes like 30 minutes to set all the pieces and for the movie to really get going. But once it gets going boy is it good.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject:

For golden armor: sounds like Hittman's latest, debuting at Sundance, really kills.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I am no Baumbach expert, but as Netflix announces that Marriage Story (along with I Heard You Paint Houses and Atlantics) are getting Criterion releases, I wonder when the superior Baumbach film Meyerowitz Stories will go Criterion.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Satoshi Kon was a genius filmmaker before his early death and deserves to be revered among the pantheon of truly genius animated film directors: Japan Times.

I could never do his work justice, but if David Lynch worked in animation he'd still fall a hair short of Kon. A brilliant artist lost too soon.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Uncut Gems didn't garner any Oscar nominations and has been under discussed with mixed reviews on LG.com, but there's a fascinating ongoing discussion among younger Jewish critics about the film's thematics and import that I think is one of the most interesting conversations in film criticism over the past year: Uncut Gems

It's one of the most unabashedly Jewish films in American cinematic history and I wonder if it won't be even more beloved as gentile audiences come to terms with its unapologetically brilliant Jewishness in the coming years.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Uncut Gems is my #11 film of the year and it already feels too low.

Here's another exceptional essay about the "difficult Jew:" Link
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Uncut Gems didn't garner any Oscar nominations and has been under discussed with mixed reviews on LG.com, but there's a fascinating ongoing discussion among younger Jewish critics about the film's thematics and import that I think is one of the most interesting conversations in film criticism over the past year: Uncut Gems

It's one of the most unabashedly Jewish films in American cinematic history and I wonder if it won't be even more beloved as gentile audiences come to terms with its unapologetically brilliant Jewishness in the coming years.

This is beautiful:
Quote:

It’s this very Jewish survivor’s instinct—just begging people to give him a chance, to let him be useful, to trust him for just a little bit longer, even though he’s manifestly not trustworthy. It’s not insincere, I think he always believes it in the moment. When he tells his wife that his girlfriend is trash and he still wants to be with her, I don’t think he’s lying. At that moment, that feels true to him.

This conversation gets at Howard Ratner as protagonist Fredo in a beautiful way.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

For golden armor: sounds like Hittman's latest, debuting at Sundance, really kills.

I saw that as well. Haven't posted lately. I'm trying to see as many films as possible before compiling a best of or alternative Oscar list. Also, I'm still trying to digest An Elephant Sitting Still.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I bleeping loved uncut gems

SPOILER BELOW

I bleeping love how he hinged the entire thing on the jump ball - just beautiful
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

I saw that as well. Haven't posted lately. I'm trying to see as many films as possible before compiling a best of or alternative Oscar list. Also, I'm still trying to digest An Elephant Sitting Still.

Looking forward to your thoughts after you digest.

I came across another streaming service called watch.topic.com that has an interesting, smaller selection of nonfiction, indies, international films, etc. and thought you might want to check it out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover is as baroque, gorgeous, vicious, and funny as I remember it. God Greenaway. But what surprised me now watching it a second time 20 years later is how tender the relationship between Georgina (Helen Mirren) and Michael (Alan Howard) becomes in such a short time, and their final scene together had me tearing up. Michael Gambon plays one of the all-time great bastards of cinema, a gangster thug who purchases the upscale Le Hollandais restaurant - the only restaurant that will still serve him - and sadistically, obstreperously terrorizes staff, customers, his own goons, and especially his wife Georgina who sprints toward a dangerous affair with a bookish regular customer, Michael. Gambon and Mirren destroy the screen while Greenaway manages to balance tones of horniness, horror, dark comedy, and pathos perfectly.

It's streaming on Criterion Channel through January 31st, but is worth owning and watching multiple times. It's (bleep) cinema.

Ties to other films:

- Georgina's gynecologist (referred to, but never seen) is apparently an Ethiopian Jew, which I never would've picked up on without having seen Uncut Gems. Black Jew power!

- This may or may not have been an influence on Ari Aster's Midsommar, but Greenaway's film is another superior predecessor that is sincere and affecting in its kinkiness and its terrors while successfully blending multiple tones along with its political and religious allusions. Of course, there's no shame in falling short of peak Greenaway.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Two words:

Troop Zero . . .

. . . lovely film.

OK . . . four words.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject:

Here's a nice behind the scenes article on the making of Malick's A Hidden Life, which is gorgeous and should be seen on the biggest screen possible: Vulture.com.

Also, Bilge Elbiri is a good Twitter follow.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I bleeping loved uncut gems

SPOILER BELOW

I bleeping love how he hinged the entire thing on the jump ball - just beautiful

I think it ends up being one of the best basketball movies ever made. Obviously the stakes are much higher for Howie than for me as a kid watching Kobe throw a lob to Shaq in game 7 of the 2000 WCF against Portland, but Uncut Gems captures that mix of fear and euphoria in the fan experience.

The editing in the climax is some of the best stuff I saw in any movie from last year and adds to that amazing tension and release surrounding the ball game. Fun, fun stuff.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Rewatching Vivre Sa Vie because my heart is broken today and crying. Crying.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject:

I’d like to recommend Dear Basketball.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Today they're starting filming on the next Batman movie. I know. Just what we need. Another Batman movie. That and more Starbucks locations. I walked 3 blocks the other day without seeing one.

If you wanna play a fun game. Try to guess what character each of the following actors are playing.

Colin Ferrell
Andy Serkis (guy who did Gollum in LOTR)
John Turturro

Unless you looked it up already, I doubt anybody would get all 3 right.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830/
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Those Planet of the Apes reboots were a borefest. I hope Reeves can up his game for this new Batman. I do like the casting, except for Paul Dano as The Riddler.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Today they're starting filming on the next Batman movie. I know. Just what we need. Another Batman movie. That and more Starbucks locations. I walked 3 blocks the other day without seeing one.

If you wanna play a fun game. Try to guess what character each of the following actors are playing.

Colin Ferrell
John Turturro

No clue, but at this point I'd follow Pattinson into a Jay Roach movie just to see him perform. Fun cast besides him, too, and my favorite superhero growing up, so the new Batman may get me back out to a superhero movie.

panamaniac wrote:
Those Planet of the Apes reboots were a borefest. I hope Reeves can up his game for this new Batman. I do like the casting, except for Paul Dano as The Riddler.

Hmm. I thought outside of John Wick it was the only 2010s franchise that really worked and that the last two movies directed by Reeves - especially the middle installment - were really solid genre mash-up popcorn fare.

And I don't even love the movies or think they're all that great. They're solid and well made and fun. For comparison, I thought the Avengers movies were mostly stale, pandering slogs outside of the first installment while the new Star Wars trilogy was an incoherent mess with a handful of high points.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Colin Ferrell
John Turturro

No clue, but at this point I'd follow Pattinson into a Jay Roach movie just to see him perform. Fun cast besides him, too, and my favorite superhero growing up, so the new Batman may get me back out to a superhero movie.

panamaniac wrote:

Hmm. I thought outside of John Wick it was the only 2010s franchise that really worked and that the last two movies directed by Reeves - especially the middle installment - were really solid genre mash-up popcorn fare.

And I don't even love the movies or think they're all that great. They're solid and well made and fun. For comparison, I thought the Avengers movies were mostly stale, pandering slogs outside of the first installment while the new Star Wars trilogy was an incoherent mess with a handful of high points.

I agree with your points on Star Wars (although Ive yet to see The Rise of Skywalker) and Avengers, which was mostly just filler leading up to End Game. However, there's something about the Apes concept that I never liked. I just found them to be plodding and predictable, and also lacking any memorable iconography or set pieces.

I loved the Wick movies, except for maybe the final 5 minutes of the 3rd film. IP Man has been incredibly consistent, as well as The Raid, which is due for a third installment. I think that Atmic Blonde deserves a sequel, even though everyone hated it, but I'm a sucker for Cold War spy stuff. Even if it's of the recycled variety, and Charlize kicked ass in it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject:

The original Tourneur Cat People > Paul Schrader's Cat People > your favorite horror movie.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

I watched a 2018 movie with Nicole Kidman called Destroyer and it was really good for the 'hell-bent cop looking to solve an old case' genre. Pretty solid supporting cast as well. It's on Hulu.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 52 of 189
Jump to: