The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I love basketball, gambling, and modern films set in NYC.
But for some reason uncut gems wasn’t my cup of tea.
Maybe the vibe was just too frantic for my taste.

Are there any frantic movies you really like?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I watched The Art of Racing in the Rain this weekend, and I did not know it was one of those movies where the dog is the narrator like A Dogs Journey. That movie messed me up....I can't handle those movies. I still have not watched the new version of A Dog's Journey because the first one got to me too much. Why does the dog always have to die?!?!

Don't watch Wendy and Lucy*

* check out Wendy and Lucy
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Despite Fincher's best efforts, I still think The Social Network suffers for its Sorkin-ness: https://twitter.com/nwalks/status/1215357410359070722
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

^ I love the Sorkin-ness of it. I think Gerwig added a touch of that to her Little Women as well which had me thinking that Ronan (and a lot of the cast) would be excellent in any Sorkin movie going forward.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I love the Sorkin-ness of it. I think Gerwig added a touch of that to her Little Women as well which had me thinking that Ronan (and a lot of the cast) would be excellent in any Sorkin movie going forward.

He is enduringly popular. Where did you see the Sorkin influence in LW?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Watched the Michael Bay Netflix movie "6 Underground" with Ryan Reynolds. It is your typical Michael Bay film....a lot of high speed car chases, car wrecks, and explosions. It kind of felt like a Fast & Furious wannabe, but if you are looking for solid action flick over the holidays in your living room, it is worth checking out. I will not be surprised if Netflix attempts to franchise it with sequels.

Finally saw it, and boy is it excessive, incoherent, gonzo, ugly, annoying, and fun because of it. Michael Bay unshackled from a PG-13 rating can't even bring himself to show a nipple, but he'll show you the bloody mess left after indistinguishable bad guy #224 has his head blown off by a flash bang grenade stuffed in his mouth. I think Bay embraces the violent nihilistic sadism Tarantino gets accused of loving.

Anyway, Ryan Reynolds is a motormouth billionaire who decides to "do good in the world" by faking his own death and recruiting a similar team of "ghosts" to take down despotic foreign leaders. The plot doesn't make much sense, there are unnecessary flashbacks, an unnecessary voiceover, a lot of dumb, semi-serious, repetitive pontificating about what it means to be a "ghost," some shoehorned F&F-style "we're a family" nonsense, and 3-4 fast cut, nausea inducing, pretty cool action sequences that make it watchable-ish. It's unrestrained American excess like if Mark Zuckerberg turned into Deadpool and murdered Kim Jong Un. Great trash.

Ha, I saw it a couple of nights ago at home, and I share much of your sentiments. I like Ryan Reynolds and some of the action is fun, so, sure, it's watchable, even though you know it's not a great film. Having said that, Ryan Reynolds is essentially just playing his Deadpool character here.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

He is enduringly popular. Where did you see the Sorkin influence in LW?

The speed at which the characters spoke and how they would often talk over each other reminded of the rapidity of Sorkin dialogue. I wasn’t expecting that but it was a pleasant surprise.
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Little Women was great!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Perfect double bill: Steamboat Bill, Jr. and Police Story. I miss great physical comedians like Keaton and young Jackie.

Leo DiCaprio may have given the best slapstick comedy performance of the last decade in Wolf of Wall Street. I'm struggling to think of better, but there doesn't seem to be much competition.

Jason Statham should team up with the John Wick guys and do something like Spy but with actual action direction and stunts to go with the gags.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Watched the Michael Bay Netflix movie "6 Underground" with Ryan Reynolds. It is your typical Michael Bay film....a lot of high speed car chases, car wrecks, and explosions. It kind of felt like a Fast & Furious wannabe, but if you are looking for solid action flick over the holidays in your living room, it is worth checking out. I will not be surprised if Netflix attempts to franchise it with sequels.

Finally saw it, and boy is it excessive, incoherent, gonzo, ugly, annoying, and fun because of it. Michael Bay unshackled from a PG-13 rating can't even bring himself to show a nipple, but he'll show you the bloody mess left after indistinguishable bad guy #224 has his head blown off by a flash bang grenade stuffed in his mouth. I think Bay embraces the violent nihilistic sadism Tarantino gets accused of loving.

Anyway, Ryan Reynolds is a motormouth billionaire who decides to "do good in the world" by faking his own death and recruiting a similar team of "ghosts" to take down despotic foreign leaders. The plot doesn't make much sense, there are unnecessary flashbacks, an unnecessary voiceover, a lot of dumb, semi-serious, repetitive pontificating about what it means to be a "ghost," some shoehorned F&F-style "we're a family" nonsense, and 3-4 fast cut, nausea inducing, pretty cool action sequences that make it watchable-ish. It's unrestrained American excess like if Mark Zuckerberg turned into Deadpool and murdered Kim Jong Un. Great trash.

Ha, I saw it a couple of nights ago at home, and I share much of your sentiments. I like Ryan Reynolds and some of the action is fun, so, sure, it's watchable, even though you know it's not a great film. Having said that, Ryan Reynolds is essentially just playing his Deadpool character here.

The superhero movie saturation has sadly made me nostalgic for 90s era Michael Bay even as Reynolds was playing '10s Deadpool without the mask, as you oh so correctly noted. I don't miss much of 90s culture - rap rock?! - but I (we?) grew up with some damn good popcorn action flicks that were well-constructed and didn't need someone in a cape to get made.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Perfect double bill: Steamboat Bill, Jr. and Police Story. I miss great physical comedians like Keaton and young Jackie.

Leo DiCaprio may have given the best slapstick comedy performance of the last decade in Wolf of Wall Street. I'm struggling to think of better, but there doesn't seem to be much competition.

Jason Statham should team up with the John Wick guys and do something like Spy but with actual action direction and stunts to go with the gags.

Maggie Cheung's hotness quintuples between Police Story and Police Story 2. Might pivot to just watching Maggie Cheung in everything - gotta track down a lot of late-80s Hong Kong romcoms along with this beauty:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject:

Oscar SZN! Wooo. yay. yippee.

- I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit or The Two Popes yet, but The Farewell and Uncut Gems were far superior movies to Joker while DeNiro and Sandler gave much richer lead performances than Phoenix. Greta Gerwig beautifully breathed new life into an old story while Todd Phillips proved he had seen a couple of Scorsese pictures at NYU. And nominating Joker in editing while OUATIH gets snubbed? Get outta here, you goddanged hippies!

- Academy Award voters must not like A24. A simple, prestige-y movie like 1917 coming along when it did must've been the perfect emergency off-ramp for Academy voters worried something weird (The Lighthouse) or uncomfortable (Uncut Gems) or small and intimate (The Farewell) might sneak it's way into a prestigious Best Picture field that includes...Joker.

- On a positive note, they nominated 5 good to great movies, two movies that are probably fine and I'll watch at some point, one decent dad movie, and one bad movie. It was such a good year for films that it was hard for them to screw that category up too badly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

The main difference is Bay is considered a hack for actually being better at the nihilism that Tarantino is considered an auteur for...

I made the mistake of watching this movie right after Triple Frontier (which is a surprisingly decent action adventure film), and i think its cartoonishness didn't sit as well after that. The best trash action movies are those that take themselves a bit too seriously (Starship Troopers and a bunch of the early-mid Steven Seagall catalogue come to mind) and thus have that irony about them, but this felt like Bay and Reynolds were playing it too on the nose, bad ripoff of Deadpool style.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

Oscar snubs (IMO):

Greta Gerwig for Best Director
Adam Sandler for Best Actor
The Farewell for Best International Film or Best Picture
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Oscar snubs (IMO):

I enjoyed Uncut Gems (seems like the type of movie Tarantino would have made years ago), but Sandler had a lot of little lapses into vintage Sandler in that movie. He worked really hard and I applaud the effort and enjoyed his performance overall, but unlike a hidden gem of a performance in Spanglish, the frantic material just pulls him too close to some of his pat mugging.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject:

^ I can see that, there were moments when his voice inflection was more Happy Gilmore than Howard but overall I thought he did a great job, the more quiet moments in particular.

On another note, I think I'm finally going to get to see Pain and Glory tomorrow. It definitely has a quiet yet intriguing trailer and is receiving a lot of buzz for Banderas' performance. I feel like I may come out of this movie realizing I've overlooked how good of an actor AB is.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Oscar snubs (IMO):

The Farewell is very much an American movie and it's a lot better than Joker.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The main difference is Bay is considered a hack for actually being better at the nihilism that Tarantino is considered an auteur for...

I made the mistake of watching this movie right after Triple Frontier (which is a surprisingly decent action adventure film), and i think its cartoonishness didn't sit as well after that. The best trash action movies are those that take themselves a bit too seriously (Starship Troopers and a bunch of the early-mid Steven Seagall catalogue come to mind) and thus have that irony about them, but this felt like Bay and Reynolds were playing it too on the nose, bad ripoff of Deadpool style.

I thought Tarantino was lauded as an auteur because of his ability to marry "low art" exploitation cinema of the 60s and 70s with the "high art" narrative deconstruction techniques of Godard. That he can reach a broader, non-arthouse viewership by punctuating extended conversation set pieces with a bit of the old ultraviolence seems to me an impressive, if not novel, feat, and one telling of Tarantino and American audiences.

Anyway, Triple Frontier was solid, but Starship Troopers never, not once takes itself seriously. Verhoeven clearly thinks Heinlein is a fascist (which Heinlein was).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I thought Tarantino was lauded as an auteur because of his ability to marry "low art" exploitation cinema of the 60s and 70s with the "high art" narrative deconstruction techniques of Godard. That he can reach a broader, non-arthouse viewership by punctuating extended conversation set pieces with a bit of the old ultraviolence seems to me an impressive, if not novel, feat, and one telling of Tarantino and American audiences.

Anyway, Triple Frontier was solid, but Starship Troopers never, not once takes itself seriously. Verhoeven clearly thinks Heinlein is a fascist (which Heinlein was).

There's an earnestness to Starship Troopers that makes it very amusing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

There's an earnestness to Starship Troopers that makes it very amusing.

I think I get what you're saying. I don't know that anyone in the main cast is aware of how high camp it all is and them going full bore like they're Sigourney Weaver in the next Aliens is funny.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Maggie Cheung's hotness quintuples between Police Story and Police Story 2. Might pivot to just watching Maggie Cheung in everything - gotta track down a lot of late-80s Hong Kong romcoms along with this beauty:

The Seventh Curse is streaming on Amazon Prime. It's a breezy delight of gore, T&A, gunfights, hand-to-hand combat, and campy dialogue that blends Indiana Jones with Stan Winston creature features and adds a dash of Die Hard for no reason at all. There's a baby juicing machine and a flying, sperm-looking ghost that eats people! Maggie Cheung blows dudes away with a machine gun while Chow Yun-fat wields a rocket launcher! ****
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Robert DeNiro gave an iconic performance this year: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RpXvfJQgwbo
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Robert DeNiro gave an iconic performance this year: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RpXvfJQgwbo

It’s really nice to see him back doing serious roles after a well deserved but sometimes hard to watch spate of get paid and don’t work so hard fluff roles.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

It’s really nice to see him back doing serious roles after a well deserved but sometimes hard to watch spate of get paid and don’t work so hard fluff roles.

Right?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject:

DeNiro's performance was the backbone of the The Irishman as far as I'm concerned.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 50 of 189
Jump to: