The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject:

1st reaction to Dragged Across Concrete: holy hell, watch Dragged Across Concrete!

It is racist, misogynistic, violent and bleak, but also one of the most unique reimaginings of 1970s pulp cop dramas I have ever seen. It's also blithely funny and darkly sardonic.

It feels like something we'll be revisiting regularly for the next 20-30 years and beyond even if it never makes any "best of" lists. It's S. Craig Zahler's Heat.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
1st reaction to Dragged Across Concrete: holy hell, watch Dragged Across Concrete!

It is racist, misogynistic, violent and bleak, but also one of the most unique reimaginings of 1970s pulp cop dramas I have ever seen. It's also blithely funny and darkly sardonic.

It feels like something we'll be revisiting regularly for the next 20-30 years and beyond even if it never makes any "best of" lists. It's S. Craig Zahler's Heat.

And I credit this deeply problematic, brilliantly artistic film for sparking some of the best film critic dialogue of the decade.

This movie is perverse and special. I can't praise it enough.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Last thought for the night: how you view the random character building asides in this movie will determine your enjoyment of this movie.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Been lurking this thread a little while and I thought I would weigh in since I just saw "Madeline's Madeline" and it probably shot to the top of my best of for 2018. It's truly an original piece of art. "Burning" is also right near the top for me as well. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Claire Denis' "Let the Sunshine In," but this is another unique film - not my favorite of hers, but she has so many . . . I also tried to see Spiderverse this weekend and couldn't get through it. It got such universal love, including from some people in this thread who seem to have impeccable taste. What am I missing? It seems like a very standard Marvel piece to me.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
Been lurking this thread a little while and I thought I would weigh in since I just saw "Madeline's Madeline" and it probably shot to the top of my best of for 2018. It's truly an original piece of art. "Burning" is also right near the top for me as well. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Claire Denis' "Let the Sunshine In," but this is another unique film - not my favorite of hers, but she has so many . . . I also tried to see Spiderverse this weekend and couldn't get through it. It got such universal love, including from some people in this thread who seem to have impeccable taste. What am I missing? It seems like a very standard Marvel piece to me.

Welcome to the thread!

For me Spiderverse smashed through my Pixar and Marvel fatigue - it was a treat to look at, especially on a big screen, and I'm a sucker for the Lord & Miller touch, which feels less focus tested than a Feige production. We get the same trite pablum as in any superhero movie, but how it looks, how it's paced, the performances, etc. made it seem fresher than most of the other superhero origin stories and helped me ignore the bog standard "you, too, can be a superhero" nonsense messaging. I thought it was good, if not great.

Now Madeline's Madeline is a great origin story. I just want to loop that ending sequence over and over and project it onto my living room wall Lost Highway style.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

I really enjoyed US, and any quibbles I have with it come secondary to my excitement that there's an original filmmaker out there doing thought provoking genre movies that make a ton of money. Also I ride for the orchestral version of "I Got 5 On It."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I really enjoyed US, and any quibbles I have with it come secondary to my excitement that there's an original filmmaker out there doing thought provoking genre movies that make a ton of money. Also I ride for the orchestral version of "I Got 5 On It."

This thread can handle quibbles. Quibble away
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

If Beale Street Could Talk... is now streaming on Hulu, Cold War is available on Amazon Prime, and Burning will hit Netflix next month.

Oh, and the Criterion Channel starts operations on 4/8. It's a good spring for cinejunkies.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Fast forward to 8:23

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fast forward to 8:23

This probably isn’t even an atypical day on a Michel Gondry shoot.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
A new Tarantino film?

LINK

Drexl, cmon. Everyone likes Drexl.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

RIP cinematic legend and all-around cool person Agnes Varda: Agnes Varda interview
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The Beach Bum is one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile. I imagine it's a great flick to watch while high, but it's an over the top hoot even when sober.

Matthew McConaughey may need an Oscar nomination for making Moon Dog so damn charming even as he drinks, snorts, smokes, and parties his way through life consequence free.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

The Beach Bum is one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile. I imagine it's a great flick to watch while high, but it's an over the top hoot even when sober.

Matthew McConaughey may need an Oscar nomination for making Moon Dog so damn charming even as he drinks, snorts, smokes, and parties his way through life consequence free.

Just a (bleep) up few weeks of wonderful, (bleep) up cinema: Climax, The Beach Bum, High Life, Dragged Across Concrete...it's a lovely, ugly vivisection of humanity. Love it!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Disney should pay Roger Deakins $100M to become the official DP of the MCU.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

what is wrong with my film appreciation.....thought this movie was pretty bad.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

what is wrong with my film appreciation.....thought this movie was pretty bad.

Because of the egg salad sandwich?

This is a more concise way of summing up Zahler's languors:
Quote:
Part of the perverse “fun” of this postmodern, nastily nihilistic movie is the way it takes what would be a single set-piece in a normal crime picture and extends it to nearly feature length. Yet the meat of Dragged Across Concrete is the supposed downtime, the scenes in the front seat of a car, watching two characters chew the fat (and the egg salad sandwich), working out the logistics and the ethics of their predicament. Zahler, one realizes, is the rare indie hotshot to take the right lessons from Tarantino’s playbook: not just to keep the dialogue hilariously flavorful but also to supply interior lives to his archetypes.

Link: AVClub
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

^^^I kept having a gag reflex when dude kept trying to swallow that big ass key dry mouthed. Also, that female with the hearing issue (Liannet Borrego) early in the film was smokin hot. Finally, they gave Jennifer Carpenter star billing in the movie, but she basically had an extended cameo.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

I was just considering renting that on demand yesterday but wanted to see Vice first. I'll check it out, let you know what up.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

If Beale Street Could Talk... is now streaming on Hulu, Cold War is available on Amazon Prime, and Burning will hit Netflix next month.

Oh, and the Criterion Channel starts operations on 4/8. It's a good spring for cinejunkies.

How is Beale Street?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

How is Beale Street?

It's s a gorgeously shot and scored movie with some of the best performances of last year, but the nonlinear narrative, longer set pieces, and shifting character perspectives could be a challenging watch. I think it's lusciously melodramatic and important filmmaking, and I look forward to rewatching it several times in the future.

Caveat emptor: I seem to have somewhat esoteric taste in movies.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^I kept having a gag reflex when dude kept trying to swallow that big ass key dry mouthed. Also, that female with the hearing issue (Liannet Borrego) early in the film was smokin hot. Finally, they gave Jennifer Carpenter star billing in the movie, but she basically had an extended cameo.

It's a modern riff on dirtbag 70s movies - hence, even grosser like with Jennifer Carpenter's end - shot with the patience of arthouse cinema.

Maybe this director and his movies will fade away, but his idiosyncratic stylistic choices feel like something film school nerds 20 years from now will re-visit just like he's going back to Sam Peckinpah and adding his own unique twist.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I was just considering renting that on demand yesterday but wanted to see Vice first. I'll check it out, let you know what up.

Sweet! Also, interested in your thoughts on Vice after you watch it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Sweet! Also, interested in your thoughts on Vice after you watch it.

I liked Vice in the same way I liked the Frontline doc on the corrupt and incompetent nature of the W Admin visavis the Iraq War. It was preaching to the choir from the get-go. However, I had to watch it in 3 installments, it was a lot to process for something that I thought was gonna be a pure entertainment vehicle going in. Sam Rockwell's Dubya voice was wow. Made me laugh it was so keen. His chicken drumstick eating scene was more believable than the one in Green Book (blech, saw that'n too).

Bale was commendable as always, Amy Adams is in everything. She's becoming Amy Streep. Getting tired of the whiny tinge to her voice. I get that it was an extremely stylized and artsy flick, but it felt like an avalanche of the clever artsy stuff about 3/4ths in. For example, the fake ending with the credits rolling up, etc. The Frontrunner re: Gary Hart had none of that stuff and it was both entertaining and more to the point of a history/period piece. Vice tried to have its cake as a zany, comedic, stylized take on history and eat it too, with a serious voice at the end and even the self-realization that it had a liberal slant. Felt like a movie version of a Michael Moore joint.

The Bale soliloquy at the end seemed to me to be a blatant attempt to recreate Pat Bateman's soliloquy at the end of AP. That left me with bitter beer face although Cheney's "you chose me" to Us, the public was a sharp line -- we chose a scoundrel and we got a scoundrel ("The public deserves the politicians they get.") I like Carell, but I wasn't a fan of him as Rumsfeld. The movie's Rumsfeld wasn't anywhere close to the political operator Donald was. I think that might've been because they wanted to condense him down to an idiot with a few good quips in order to focus more on Cheney. Even Dubya was scaled down to a relatively minor character. Carell as Rummy seemed like they just wanted him in the film no matter what. It wasn't like Foxcatcher where he fit the role. One thing that made me chuckle was the actress they found for Condy Rice. She looked like her slightly older biological sister.

I still liked it more than that all may sound, I like to nitpick.

Btw, after watching Green Book, The Shape Of Water suddenly looks a lot better. Utter tripe. You're better than this, Viggo.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Recently watched The Dirt on Netflix (the Mötley Crüe biopic). Never been too big on Crüe, but somehow I really enjoyed this movie. I guess I'm just a sucker for RnR biopics. The acting is strong, and overall the film hammers home some solid points. The narrative is a bit disjointed, and feels a tad rushed (the film covers over 2 decades of history in less than 2 hrs). Would've worked better as a mini series. But it does play out as an honest and crude depiction of the band, and even if I don't love their music, I still respect their story. Overall I thought it was a fun mess.

This definitely sounds like something I would like. Plus the cast looks very solid. Gonna give it a watch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 15 of 189
Jump to: