New book takes a look back at Lakers-Kings rivalry

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: New book takes a look back at Lakers-Kings rivalry

New book just released.
Rehashes the Lakers vs Kings rivalry of early 2000s

https://www.amazon.com/BASKETBALL-NIRVANA-unforgettable-controversial-Lakers-Kings/dp/B09NGS7DYC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=basketball+nirvana+lakers+kings&qid=1640198147&sr=8-3

Quote:
The early 2000s was a time of change around the world. Technology was evolving. Mindsets were changing. After the events of 9/11, the world would also never be the same. The NBA was also changing. Moving on after the retirement of superstar Michael Jordan required a new wave of stars, and new rivalries. One rivalry that emerged was between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings. It pitted stars such as Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant against Chris Webber and Mike Bibby. It was a classic David versus Goliath tale, with the mighty Southern California juggernaut, the Lakers, squaring off against the smaller Sacramento franchise. It was a rivalry that was as heated as the NBA had seen, and it wasn't short on controversy. The rivalry has cooled off in recent years, but that era will never be forgotten due to the great games, great performances of the stars, and the colorful personality of those involved. They share their story here through never-before-heard interviews, and dogged research.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

One can argue 2000 to 2010 was peak NBA. Especially the late 2000s. Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Nash, Webber, Bibby, Kidd, Dirk, Yao, T-Mac, Wade, Iverson, Garnett, Pierce, Melo, CP3, Amare, Gasol, Dwight, Ginobili, Parker, Allen etc, etc. No era will come quite close to that talent level.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
One can argue 2000 to 2010 was peak NBA. Especially the late 2000s. Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, Nash, Webber, Bibby, Kidd, Dirk, Yao, T-Mac, Wade, Iverson, Garnett, Pierce, Melo, CP3, Amare, Gasol, Dwight, Ginobili, Parker, Allen etc, etc. No era will come quite close to that talent level.

It was a glorious time for hoops fans. I can't quite get the same enjoyment out of today's game.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I'd argue through that final Spurs ring. That team played some of the most beautiful basketball I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

It was a glorious time for hoops fans. I can't quite get the same enjoyment out of today's game.

It was. . . . although I am not sure fans outside of LA, San Antonio, Detroit, Miami, and Boston would agree
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I'd argue through that final Spurs ring. That team played some of the most beautiful basketball I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

Definitely.

But keep in mind the Spurs established and then normalized that level of play and excellence in the 00s. The 2014 spurs don't exist without the precedent they set in the decade prior. They were the model of excellence for nearly two decades, and arguably the most successful franchise if we're going by wins and playoff appearances.

I hated them, but the trio of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili (plus Kawhi later on) was dynasty-tier whenever they were healthy. It's not even the least bit surprising they annihilated the Lebron-Wade-Bosh superteam. 99% of us enjoyed seeing Lebron go down at the time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

In the discussions and polls I've seen on the topic, it's pretty standard that the Magic-Bird 80s comes out as the #1 era and the Jordan 90s comes out as the #2 era.

After that, I generally see 2010-19 as #3 and 2000-2009 as #4th.

The 60s is pretty much always #5 and the 70s is always in last place.

The '50s is usually ignored.

For any specific individual, I think the ranking will depend heavily on when they started watching the NBA and how their favorite team did. Most people think the best decade is the one when they first got exposed to the NBA in a serious way.

Every era has great talent. I'm not sold that the list you put together is really better than other eras. I mean look at the MVP winners during the 80s: Kareem, Moses Malone, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, Jordan. And that doesn't count guys who made multiple all-NBA teams in the decade liks Isiah Thomas, George Gervin, James Worthy, Alex English, Kevin McHale, Dominique Wilkins, and John Stockton.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I'll concede that there was some great top level talent, but the aughts were a horrible watch for basketball. The most vomitous NBA finals in the last 40 years were played in that decade
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I think from 2008 till now has been a new golden era for the NBA. The level of talent these days may be even higher than in the 2000s, plus the quality of play is better.

The quality of play and talent level plunged in the 90s. It was a good era in terms of popularity and TV ratings, but it was pretty bad in terms of aesthetics (as were the early 2000s).
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

What rivalry?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Then the players superteam voltrons started lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

The mid to late 80’s made the NBA what it is today. Consider that prior to the Magic/Bird arrival the Finals weren’t shown on live TV.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

Yea, I'd agree with what another poster said...not really much of a rivalry. Admittedly those Kings clubs were a PITA, taking the Lakers to a final game of a series in 2 of their playoff meetings (game 5, back when they had best of 5 in round 1, then of course that infamous 7 game series...)

What's hilarious is how in that 5 game series, after the Lakers took a 2-0 lead, Adelman started having his team cheat (at the time) and play zone. Took game 5 before the refs, with help from Phil, showed what they were doing when Phil put Shaq down in the post and sent 4 guys above the 3 line, yet the Kings would still shade a second defender near Shaq. I believe it was like 2-3 illegal defense calls vs the Kings to begin game 5...after that happened, their "unique" defense went to shambles, and Lakers blew them off the floor.

That 7 game series (the one where Horry hit that crucial game 4 shot to tie the series) was fantastic in retrospect, but to me marred by the over-the-top accusations of Laker favoritism via FT's spear-headed by Ralph Nader. What always boggled my mind is how folks who jumped on that band wagon conveniently ignored how Shaq in game 5 was fouled out and took zero FT's.

But I digress. Adelman had the Kings playing really fun to watch (when not playing the Lakers) basketball, with their passing, in many ways - IMO - sort of a predecessor to what the Warriors did when Kerr became HC.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

you can thank Steph Curry and his ridiculous three point shots for that. every team runs pick and rolls and shoot threes ALL GAME LONG.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
madsen35 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

you can thank Steph Curry and his ridiculous three point shots for that. every team runs pick and rolls and shoot threes ALL GAME LONG.

I can’t blame Curry…greatest long range shooter in the history of the sport, and a joy to watch

I blame the rest of the teams in the league that didn’t have Curry and Thompson for turning the current game into the snooze-fest that it’s become. Every team plays the same style and it’s just not fun to watch. 7 footers standing around out at the 3-point line is the most absurd sight in the history of the sport.

If the NBA wants to experience a resurgence in the quality of play, they will eliminate the poor, overworked and abused 3-point line and get back to actual basketball.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

More Cowbell!!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject:

shocked they got a book out of this. just play the clip of shaq clowning them to the cheers theme song. That tells you everything.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
madsen35 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I can’t blame Curry…greatest long range shooter in the history of the sport, and a joy to watch

I blame the rest of the teams in the league that didn’t have Curry and Thompson for turning the current game into the snooze-fest that it’s become. Every team plays the same style and it’s just not fun to watch. 7 footers standing around out at the 3-point line is the most absurd sight in the history of the sport.

If the NBA wants to experience a resurgence in the quality of play, they will eliminate the poor, overworked and abused 3-point line and get back to actual basketball.

I agree. Cavs are successful because they are bucking that style. Pretty sure everyone and their mama expected JB Bickerstaff to run the usual small-ball rotations, but he said F U to that and went with 3 bigs in the starting rotation. Pels are also interesting in that they try to establish guys like Jonas Valanciunas and Hernangomez in the post, before any of their guards. It's crazy how much the floor opens up when you have a big man that can post up. Unconventional in today's era, but totally normal 10-15 years ago. I can even remember PJ running his Odom-Gasol-Bynum rotations with some degree of success.

It sucks watching teams go full copycat when they don't have the personnel to do it. Curry and Klay are historically good shooters, and Green is a historically good defender. The wheels fall off when one of them get hurt. No team is going to replicate what they do.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Definitely.

But keep in mind the Spurs established and then normalized that level of play and excellence in the 00s. The 2014 spurs don't exist without the precedent they set in the decade prior. They were the model of excellence for nearly two decades, and arguably the most successful franchise if we're going by wins and playoff appearances.

I hated them, but the trio of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili (plus Kawhi later on) was dynasty-tier whenever they were healthy. It's not even the least bit surprising they annihilated the Lebron-Wade-Bosh superteam. 99% of us enjoyed seeing Lebron go down at the time.

Duncan was way past his prime at the time. And it was VERY surprising to see the defending 2 time champs get blown out. Miami had just beaten them the year before and had an awesome defense. Nobody else blew out the Heat like that. People said Indiana was a threat to them that year and the Heat didn’t have much trouble with them.

The betting odds only had the Spurs as a slight favorite.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: