OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4490, 4491, 4492 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greek laker wrote:
Imagine if we had lost to Denver. All this piss and moan comes after an emphatic on the road win against the 2-3 best team of the west.

My critiques of this flawed roster has been the same since July 2019. Winning or losing a February game does not change that.

Yeah I will vouch for Yinoma. He is not PnM guy. He has been talking about two things since day 1 - the wing defense and the backup PG spot.

IMO though, role players would not change our chances at a title. Especially if it came at the price of team chemistry. I think simply put, the Lakers were banking on a 3 star team, and wind up having to try and win with 2 stars and some quality 2-way role players.

What can change things is a significant move. If we could get a wing that can defend Kawhi and also give us 3rd option scoring (what Kuzma has talent for but is not delivering on a consistent basis). Or if we could get a guard that could be the go to shot maker and creator when Lebron is off, resting or defense is focused on him, those sort of talents would put us over the top IMO. I guess if LA fails to win a title this year, the FO will receive some warranted criticism of going all in for Kawhi, and ignoring going after Jimmy Butler, Kemba etc.

Banking on a 3rd star wasn’t the problem, identifying Kawhi as that 3rd star was the problem.

Everyone clearly had bad intel on Kawhi. Even the Raptors, a team that could openly "tamper" with Kawhi by virtue of being on the team had no idea. They held out towards the very bitter end, even getting a publicized meeting with him. Perhaps at some point the Lakers should have dropped out, but imagine the uproar if the Lakers pulled out early and the Clips got him (which he was going to do all along).

Yeah but if you wait 1 day, you’re almost committed to go all the way since everyone mostly gets signed within the first 24 hrs or so.

Yeah. Honestly, it sucks we got dragged down by Kawhi, but I'm not going to fault them for that. You get a LBJ/KL/AD team and that is going to be the best trio of all time. But for sure, the intel was bad. Raptors got hit too. People like to conveniently ignore that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah. I would say if we dont get an agreement prior to beginning of free agency, you pass. But then again, I don’t think we got Lebron immediately either.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Best Case Scenario:

Kuzma takes a leap forward. Caruso becomes an above average point guard. The Knicks release Harkless and he signs with us and plays important minutes as a 3&D wing.

Any one of those things happen and we have a chance at a title. 2 out of three and we’re in the driver’s seat. 3 out of 3 and we are winning it all.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greek laker wrote:
Imagine if we had lost to Denver. All this piss and moan comes after an emphatic on the road win against the 2-3 best team of the west.

My critiques of this flawed roster has been the same since July 2019. Winning or losing a February game does not change that.

Yeah I will vouch for Yinoma. He is not PnM guy. He has been talking about two things since day 1 - the wing defense and the backup PG spot.

IMO though, role players would not change our chances at a title. Especially if it came at the price of team chemistry. I think simply put, the Lakers were banking on a 3 star team, and wind up having to try and win with 2 stars and some quality 2-way role players.

What can change things is a significant move. If we could get a wing that can defend Kawhi and also give us 3rd option scoring (what Kuzma has talent for but is not delivering on a consistent basis). Or if we could get a guard that could be the go to shot maker and creator when Lebron is off, resting or defense is focused on him, those sort of talents would put us over the top IMO. I guess if LA fails to win a title this year, the FO will receive some warranted criticism of going all in for Kawhi, and ignoring going after Jimmy Butler, Kemba etc.

Banking on a 3rd star wasn’t the problem, identifying Kawhi as that 3rd star was the problem.

Everyone clearly had bad intel on Kawhi. Even the Raptors, a team that could openly "tamper" with Kawhi by virtue of being on the team had no idea. They held out towards the very bitter end, even getting a publicized meeting with him. Perhaps at some point the Lakers should have dropped out, but imagine the uproar if the Lakers pulled out early and the Clips got him (which he was going to do all along).

Yeah but if you wait 1 day, you’re almost committed to go all the way since everyone mostly gets signed within the first 24 hrs or so.

Yeah. Honestly, it sucks we got dragged down by Kawhi, but I'm not going to fault them for that. You get a LBJ/KL/AD team and that is going to be the best trio of all time. But for sure, the intel was bad. Raptors got hit too. People like to conveniently ignore that.

The worst part is if the reports are correct LBJ and AD would text him and Kawhi gave them the impression he was interested..hence AD waiving kicker etc. But Kawhi was a snake and was trying desperately to hook up with another star in Clipper land. In fact, right after the meeting with Jeannie and Rob he calls PG and tells him to seek a trade to the Clips asap. That's why I wish the worst for that guy... a completely unethical snake. Hope he never sniffs a title again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ Yeah. I would say if we dont get an agreement prior to beginning of free agency, you pass. But then again, I don’t think we got Lebron immediately either.

i thought one of the advantages of Rob being a GM was that he could navigate through the backchannel intel game and know things. Turns out Kawhi ran a tight shipped and managed to fool the NBA champs (Raps) and LBJ/AD/Lakers. Pretty crazy.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Mintz had deals in place with the Clippers and the Raptors to pair Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greek laker wrote:

. The Raptors were already over the cap and couldn't go over it to sign an FA like they could Kawhi. So there was little risk in hanging on until the end.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I think there's an argument to be made that we should go after someone like Mo Harkless, but again, how much is he going to play? 10-15 minutes in the regular season and a shift in the playoffs?

Yes. Right now, I'm very confident about the 34-35mpg that AD/LBJ play (though AD's net ratings are not great when LBJ is off the court).

The playoffs will be about surviving those 12-14mpg when LBJ is off the court. We haven't done a damn thing about that and it's a shame. Getting LBJ/AD is the hard part as obtaining 5 carat diamond talents is usually immensely difficult. The successful GMs find diamonds in the rough and underutilized players. We just aren't winning around the margins.

LBJ is also 35. I know he looks like he won't ever age but he is carrying such a disproportionate load on this team, and in the playoffs against a team like the Clips he'll have to guard Kawhi or PG13 on top of that? That's asking a lot.

The whole point of playing LBJ under 35 MPG in the regular season is to conserve him for the playoffs, where he will almost certainly average 39.5-43.5 MPG. We're talking about 5-8 minutes with LBJ off the court. Sure, if the game's a blowout, we can rest him, but otherwise LBJ won't let Vogel restrict his minutes below that number (as if he even could).
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Aaron Mintz had deals in place with the Clippers and the Raptors to pair Paul George and Kawhi Leonard.

Why did OKC gave up on him so soon?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Because they got like 27 picks and SGA for him. Easy peasy.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greek laker wrote:

. The Raptors were already over the cap and couldn't go over it to sign an FA like they could Kawhi. So there was little risk in hanging on until the end.

Point being they honestly didn't know where Kawhi was going and neither did the Lakers. Of all teams they could have a good pulse on Kawhi as he literally won a ring with them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I think there's an argument to be made that we should go after someone like Mo Harkless, but again, how much is he going to play? 10-15 minutes in the regular season and a shift in the playoffs?

Yes. Right now, I'm very confident about the 34-35mpg that AD/LBJ play (though AD's net ratings are not great when LBJ is off the court).

The playoffs will be about surviving those 12-14mpg when LBJ is off the court. We haven't done a damn thing about that and it's a shame. Getting LBJ/AD is the hard part as obtaining 5 carat diamond talents is usually immensely difficult. The successful GMs find diamonds in the rough and underutilized players. We just aren't winning around the margins.

LBJ is also 35. I know he looks like he won't ever age but he is carrying such a disproportionate load on this team, and in the playoffs against a team like the Clips he'll have to guard Kawhi or PG13 on top of that? That's asking a lot.

The whole point of playing LBJ under 35 MPG in the regular season is to conserve him for the playoffs, where he will almost certainly average 39.5-43.5 MPG. We're talking about 5-8 minutes with LBJ off the court. Sure, if the game's a blowout, we can rest him, but otherwise LBJ won't let Vogel restrict his minutes below that number (as if he even could).

LBJ is a freak of nature, but trying to remember which 35 year old player who had to carry this much of the load playing 40-44mpg in an extended playoff series.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Because they got like 27 picks and SGA for him. Easy peasy.

Picks 24 and below sounds really enticing.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It's amazing how down people are on the team/management right now, considering we're 41-12, 1st in the West with a four game lead over 2nd. This team also, according to multiple sources (and my eyes), has amazing chemistry. That's very hard to achieve and it makes no sense to disrupt that bond and upset the balance unless you are getting a clear upgrade. Adding IT (or anyone else that's close to a lateral move) will require the team to CUT a player and send them packing. Whether that's Quinn Cook, JD, DMC or someone else, there's a risk of upsetting the team dynamic. And for what? IT, even if successful, is playing 15 minutes in the regular season and 6-8 minutes in the playoffs, if at all. We're talking about the 9th or 10th man (AD, Bron, Kuz, KCP, AB, Caruso, Dwight, DG and maybe JaVale) in a 9 or 10 man rotation, if that. Why is it worth the risk?

Would it have been nice to get a clear upgrade at the trade deadline? Sure. But, there didn't seem to be a deal out there that made sense. Covington went for the equivalent of multiple firsts and Marcus Morris netted a lesser, but similar return (a useful player in Harkless; a former lottery pick; a 2020 first; a good 2021 second (detroit); AND a swap). We always knew that we had very few assets and it was the right move to hold.

As for this buyout market, are we really this bummed out over Reggie Jackson? Really?

I think there's an argument to be made that we should go after someone like Mo Harkless, but again, how much is he going to play? 10-15 minutes in the regular season and a shift in the playoffs? He's got some chops as a defender, but he's not locking up Kawhi/PG. He might provide a small boost, but look at his averages over his career ... dude is a career 7 ppg scorer and is in his prime. He's not coming here to change the game for us.

We're in a really good spot right now, we've got a really good team and are primed for a nice playoff run. Let's enjoy it.

We are 2- 5 against the top 3 teams in each conference

And is that same logic being used for the Clippers or is it just us?

When I last checked the Clippers were 5-3, Milwaukee and Boston were 5-2.

You didn’t post Raptors record last season against the top 3 teams in each conference. Wonder why.

I think that Toronto load managed Leonard quite a bit last season, so I would discount their W/L record against top teams more than the current season for the Lakers.

Toronto from last season and the rest of the teams in this season. Utah's number would be much worse if Conley (missed 22 games) was used instead of Gobert.

Played....Missed .............

82......................Toronto (2018-19)
60............22.......Leonard

53.......................Lakers
51.............2........LeBron James
46.............7........Anthony Davis
---------------------------------------

55.......................Denver
55..............0.......Jokic
45............10.......Murray
----------------------------------------

55.......................Clippers
42.............13.......Leonard
34.............21.......Paul George

54........................Utah
52...............2.......Gobert
53...............1.......Mitchell

54........................Houston
51...............3.......Harden
45...............9.......Westbrook
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

If my memory serves me correctly, Raptors were 5-5 or 6-4 on games Kawhi played against top 3 teams from either conference.

I think what is more important is health and how you are playing down the stretch of the season than a game in November.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

LBJ is a freak of nature, but trying to remember which 35 year old player who had to carry this much of the load playing 40-44mpg in an extended playoff series.

Don't see the difference between Karl Malone and LBJ body wise. I for see him playing to his 40's and still be effective. LBJ will be so much better since he can impact the game by his passing which is less strain on the body.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Kobe_Is_King13 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It's amazing how down people are on the team/management right now, considering we're 41-12, 1st in the West with a four game lead over 2nd. This team also, according to multiple sources (and my eyes), has amazing chemistry. That's very hard to achieve and it makes no sense to disrupt that bond and upset the balance unless you are getting a clear upgrade. Adding IT (or anyone else that's close to a lateral move) will require the team to CUT a player and send them packing. Whether that's Quinn Cook, JD, DMC or someone else, there's a risk of upsetting the team dynamic. And for what? IT, even if successful, is playing 15 minutes in the regular season and 6-8 minutes in the playoffs, if at all. We're talking about the 9th or 10th man (AD, Bron, Kuz, KCP, AB, Caruso, Dwight, DG and maybe JaVale) in a 9 or 10 man rotation, if that. Why is it worth the risk?

Would it have been nice to get a clear upgrade at the trade deadline? Sure. But, there didn't seem to be a deal out there that made sense. Covington went for the equivalent of multiple firsts and Marcus Morris netted a lesser, but similar return (a useful player in Harkless; a former lottery pick; a 2020 first; a good 2021 second (detroit); AND a swap). We always knew that we had very few assets and it was the right move to hold.

As for this buyout market, are we really this bummed out over Reggie Jackson? Really?

I think there's an argument to be made that we should go after someone like Mo Harkless, but again, how much is he going to play? 10-15 minutes in the regular season and a shift in the playoffs? He's got some chops as a defender, but he's not locking up Kawhi/PG. He might provide a small boost, but look at his averages over his career ... dude is a career 7 ppg scorer and is in his prime. He's not coming here to change the game for us.

We're in a really good spot right now, we've got a really good team and are primed for a nice playoff run. Let's enjoy it.

We are 2- 5 against the top 3 teams in each conference

And is that same logic being used for the Clippers or is it just us?

When I last checked the Clippers were 5-3, Milwaukee and Boston were 5-2.

You didn’t post Raptors record last season against the top 3 teams in each conference. Wonder why.

Seriously. We've played one game each against Milwaukee, Boston and Toronto. It would be nice to have won at least one of those games, but not doing so doesn't mean this team isn't a title contender. We're 15-10 against teams over .500, which is better than the Clippers, Raptors, Celtics and basically any other team but the Bucks and Nuggets.

Do you seriously think we'll lose to anyone but the Clippers/Bucks? We're in that top-tier of the NBA after being in the lottery for SIX STRAIGHT YEARS. I'm not saying we're going to win the title, but we've got a really good shot. Also, we've got our full MLE and flexibility to make moves this off-season. Let's not freak out every day.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

^ Yup. I also believe we broke an NBA record for consecutive road wins against Western Conference teams?

There are weird scheduling quirks that happen over the course of the season. Not saying that’s the case here, but, there are multiple data points worth looking at.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Don't see the difference between Karl Malone and LBJ body wise. I for see him playing to his 40's and still be effective. LBJ will be so much better since he can impact the game by his passing which is less strain on the body.

Age 35 Malone didn't have to run an offense as the point though, and possibly guard the other team's best perimeter wing player. I think LBJ can have an extended shelf life, but expecting him to run the offense and be a defensive stopper in 41-45mpg in the playoffs is a LOT given his age and role.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Age 35 Malone didn't have to run an offense as the point though, and possibly guard the other team's best perimeter wing player. I think LBJ can have an extended shelf life, but expecting him to run the offense and be a defensive stopper in 41-45mpg in the playoffs is a LOT given his age and role.

Agreed, yinoma. Plus, Malone had that money midrange jumper he could go to when he became too slow blow by people.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Mike Vorkunov
@MikeVorkunov
Moe Harkless says he hasn't initiated any talks with the Knicks about taking a buyout before the end of the month. He says he and his agent might talk about it at some point and weigh whether he wants to play for a contender. The Knicks traded for him in the Marcus Morris deal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Agreed, yinoma. Plus, Malone had that money midrange jumper he could go to when he became too slow blow by people.

We will likely have to find that the 3rd piece this summer via trade and/or full MLE. Until then, my man LBJ has quite the hill to climb with basically a 2 prong attack with he and AD.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Quote:

Mike Vorkunov
@MikeVorkunov
Moe Harkless says he hasn't initiated any talks with the Knicks about taking a buyout before the end of the month. He says he and his agent might talk about it at some point and weigh whether he wants to play for a contender. The Knicks traded for him in the Marcus Morris deal.

Who is his agent? Hopefully Rob has a good relationship with whoever it is..
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Mo Harkless agents are Bill Duffy and Nima Namakain of BDA Sports Management

https://hoopshype.com/player/moe-harkless/salary/
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
Quote:

Mike Vorkunov
@MikeVorkunov

Who is his agent? Hopefully Rob has a good relationship with whoever it is..

Bill Duffy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4490, 4491, 4492 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4491 of 8560
Jump to: