OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6995, 6996, 6997 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm waiting on the next report that the Lakers are gonna give Jahlil Okafor a workout this week.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I question why would James Ennis want to sign here? Lakers will only offer a 1 year vet min contract and given the depth of the team I foresee Inactives and DNP's much like Alfonzo McKinnie last season.

He is already 31 years old who should be looking to maximize his earning potential beyond this coming season. He needs to be in the rotation for his next team and that is probably not with the Lakers.

Conversely why would the Lakers want him? With lux tax considerations he would be an expensive 13th-14th end of bench player.

Ennis has never made much more than the minimum in his NBA career, and it's unlikely any team was prepared to offer him more. He's a solid journeyman, but he's not given to crack the rotation of any team he signs with.

Yep. As I said a couple pages back, Ennis somehow got overrated here. I would have no problem with it if we signed him, but it's not like he is some sort of prize free agent. While his name pops up in the media connected to the Lakers and others, I'm starting to suspect that this is generated by Ennis and his agent.

We've been living in IG's fish bowl. It's been entertaining, but when you start thinking of James Ennis as some in-demand player who we need to sign immediately, it's probably time to come up for air.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I question why would James Ennis want to sign here? Lakers will only offer a 1 year vet min contract and given the depth of the team I foresee Inactives and DNP's much like Alfonzo McKinnie last season.

He is already 31 years old who should be looking to maximize his earning potential beyond this coming season. He needs to be in the rotation for his next team and that is probably not with the Lakers.

Conversely why would the Lakers want him? With lux tax considerations he would be an expensive 13th-14th end of bench player.

Ennis has never made much more than the minimum in his NBA career, and it's unlikely any team was prepared to offer him more. He's a solid journeyman, but he's not given to crack the rotation of any team he signs with.

Yep. As I said a couple pages back, Ennis somehow got overrated here. I would have no problem with it if we signed him, but it's not like he is some sort of prize free agent. While his name pops up in the media connected to the Lakers and others, I'm starting to suspect that this is generated by Ennis and his agent.

We've been living in IG's fish bowl. It's been entertaining, but when you start thinking of James Ennis as some in-demand player who we need to sign immediately, it's probably time to come up for air.

It reminds me of some of the hoopla a few people had about McKinnie last year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

It was reported the Blazers, Bulls and Magic were also interested in him. Looking at their rosters I believe he has the opportunity to get regular minutes with any of these 3 especially on the Magic who he played for last year.

Probably. But maybe he wants to go with the team with the best shot at a ring.

Interesting isn't it. If I was n his position I am not sure what I would choose. In my old age would I look back and regret not playing for the iconic Lakers and possibly having won a championship.

Also, it has been reported that a few teams are "interested" in him (whatever that means), but it's not clear any team has actually offered him a roster spot. He may not be in a position to mull over choices. At this point, he may simply be looking to get with any team he can.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject:

Im starting to think mckinnie is the best fit as the 3rd string guy playing both forward positions. His comfortable in that role, provides energy off the bench and is already familiar with the staff and core players. I’d also like him to learn behind ariza. I see a lot of similarities between their games, especially back during ariza’s first stint with us when he was younger.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
Im starting to think mckinnie is the best fit as the 3rd string guy playing both forward positions. His comfortable in that role, provides energy off the bench and is already familiar with the staff and core players. I’d also like him to learn behind ariza. I see a lot of similarities between their games, especially back during ariza’s first stint with us when he was younger.

I would like Mckinnie or Wes back as well.

Continuity is important.

No to Faried. He will be worse off than Trez was.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:

Continuity is important.

Or Ennis. Unless the manimal has been working out like a madman to make a comeback I don't see where he's going to get the minutes or what he really adds to the team.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:

Continuity is important.

Or Ennis. Unless the manimal has been working out like a madman to make a comeback I don't see where he's going to get the minutes or what he really adds to the team.

None of these guys mentioned Ennis, Faried, McKinnie would be making any contributions as the 14/15 man.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject:

Ennis could actually be a contributor, who else other than Lebron do we have with his length and athleticism on the wing?

Kuzma is gone, defensively he could fill that role and not be a complete zero on offense if he can knock down open threes like he did last year.

This seems like a no brainer unless there is some baggage with him not obvious.
rixil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yeah I know, hopefully 1 day we can come at peace with each other haha

I think world peace will come before sports fan peace. So we're in no danger of peace breaking out. In the meantime, keep doing you. I mean I may get on you from time to time, but the regular posters, quirks and all, are what make this place worth coming to. So I look forward to your next trade proposal or hot take.

Lack of fan peace led to World Peace that one day in the palace... Then World Peace became a Laker, and was beloved...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
lurklurk wrote:

Continuity is important.

McKinnie sure...he was content with his position...Wes? are you kidding? Please watch the Phoenix series again and see what Booker did to him. There's a reason you don't even see Wes's name mentioned with any team. Geez even Monte Ellis, IT, Collison and now Faried are getting looks.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

People are still pleading for Ennis I see. I will say this......free agency started a month and half ago.....he's still unsigned.....get the picture.

I am not saying that he doesn't have any value but, the way that he is being discussed here, , you would think that his signing, will make a huge difference in us winning or losing a title. He's just a guy. No better than Mckinnie. At tis point, whoever the Lakers sign, will play little to no factor in our title chase.

Faried, Boogie, Ennis, doesn't matter. They will not even dress for most games.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
People are still pleading for Ennis I see. I will say this......free agency started a month and half ago.....he's still unsigned.....get the picture.

I am not saying that he doesn't have any value but, the way that he is being discussed here, , you would think that his signing, will make a huge difference in us winning or losing a title. He's just a guy. No better than Mckinnie. At tis point, whoever the Lakers sign, will play little to no factor in our title chase.

Sure that's one way to look at it. But what's a more pressing need:

(1) a true 7footer with a big name and still nice offensive package but not much else

(2) an undersized pf who hustles hard but can't shoot worth a lick and hasn't been in the NBA in years

(3) a 6'6 wing who shoots over 40%, has a 7ft wingspan with somewhere between decent - good defense, and just so happens to be campaigning to join on the minimum?

Still say it doesn't matter?
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Sure that's one way to look at it. But what's a more pressing need:

(1) a true 7footer with a big name and still nice offensive package but not much else

(2) an undersized pf who hustles hard but can't shoot worth a lick and hasn't been in the NBA in years

(3) a 6'6 wing who shoots over 40%, has a 7ft wingspan with somewhere between decent - good defense, and just so happens to be campaigning to join on the minimum?

Still say it doesn't matter?

Yep, anybody that the Lakers sign, at this point, doesn't move the needle. Now, they may make a trade at some point, for an impact player but we have signed, all of the guys that will make a difference.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject:

For continuity and fourth quarter blow outs I would prefer McKinnie.

At SF/ wing the Lakers have Bazemore, Ariza and THT. And let’s not forget that James guy.

James may have to use some consistent energy on defense this season. Lakers have done a great job of adding players with ball handling capabilities. James’ role changes.

James can focus on defense and as a third offensive option in half court situations. He is likely looking at about 30 mpg or less most nights. With an increase in marquee games. But if all goes right, he, Davis, and WB are sitting a lot of fourth quarters.

The last 5 on the bench should be an interesting group all season. Mainly because it will have some vets and “ big names” doing mop up time. At least that is what I am hoping as of today.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

I think I'd normally agree with you about the 14th or 15th man and, typically, I'd want to sign a developmental player to maximize that roster slot since most rotations only go 9-11 deep. But, considering how many older players are on this roster, I think depth could be fairly important this year.

We have THT, Monk and Nunn as the young bucks on this squad, but then you've got AD (28, but likely to miss at least a few games next season, at best) and 10 guys aged 32 or older with 5 of those players 35 or older. That's just a high likelihood of missed time ... so, I'll take the depth this year for sure.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
I'm waiting on the next report that the Lakers are gonna give Jahlil Okafor a workout this week.

That would be dope!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

At SF/ wing the Lakers have Bazemore, Ariza and THT. And let’s not forget that James guy.

James may have to use some consistent energy on defense this season. Lakers have done a great job of adding players with ball handling capabilities. James’ role changes.

James can focus on defense and as a third offensive option in half court situations. He is likely looking at about 30 mpg or less most nights. With an increase in marquee games. But if all goes right, he, Davis, and WB are sitting a lot of fourth quarters.

The last 5 on the bench should be an interesting group all season. Mainly because it will have some vets and “ big names” doing mop up time. At least that is what I am hoping as of today.

My hope is that one or two of the guys will become 2nd unit microwaves and carry the scoring load from the bench. IDEALLY (for me), Monk will have a breakout season, score 15-18 ppg and then build on his success by coming back on a 1+1.

The key to early Showtime (1979-85) was that bench unit of Cooper, McAdoo, McGee and whoever wasn't starting between Worthy/Wilkes/Kuphak & Rambis. That was a unit that came in and extended leads, often turning games into blowouts.

Of course, that was pre-salary cap and getting that collection of 2nd unit talent is tough when the Big 3 takes up all of the cap.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

If Ennis was really a 40% shooter from three and a good defender, he wouldn't be unemployed and begging for a vet min contract. He's a career .360 shooter from three and an average to below average defender. I'd be fine with it if we sign him as cover for the big guard/small forward role. I'm also fine with it if the front office decides to wait and see if something better comes along as teams pare down their rosters.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

My hope is that one or two of the guys will become 2nd unit microwaves and carry the scoring load from the bench. IDEALLY (for me), Monk will have a breakout season, score 15-18 ppg and then build on his success by coming back on a 1+1.

The key to early Showtime (1979-85) was that bench unit of Cooper, McAdoo, McGee and whoever wasn't starting between Worthy/Wilkes/Kuphak & Rambis. That was a unit that came in and extended leads, often turning games into blowouts.

Of course, that was pre-salary cap and getting that collection of 2nd unit talent is tough when the Big 3 takes up all of the cap.

I agree the primary bench unit will have some potential to keep and hopefully extend leads. Just depends on how they are able to find the right chemistry together.

Honestly, I am excited to see a Nunn, Monk, THT, Melo, Howard bench unit. Add in Elllington, Ariza, Rondo or AD? Tough problem to have.

Kind of what I mean about some surprisingl or unconventional fourth quarter lineups needs old timers like Melo, Ariza, Rondo to play mins. They are the end of the bench options as it stands now.

Also why I would like to see another center option added. The Jordan, Howard, Davis rotation is needed for primary mpg. One not available throws off the rotation. For 4th quarter blow outs? No way I want them in there.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

I would love that from Monk ... but if he breaks out big like that, he's gone. We can only offer him (correct me if I'm wrong) like a 50% pay raise, which is like $3M--nothing. If he's a 3 point sniper and 15-18 point scorer, he'll likely be in 8-figure territory.

Edit: sorry, we could offer him the MMLE at like $6M, but he'll still likely get much more on the open market.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

Sources: John Wall, Houston Rockets meet and mutually agree to work together on finding a new home for the five-time All-Star guard. Plan is for Wall to be present at training camp, but not play in Rockets games this season.

Shams
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Sources: John Wall, Houston Rockets meet and mutually agree to work together on finding a new home for the five-time All-Star guard. Plan is for Wall to be present at training camp, but not play in Rockets games this season.

Shams

Clippers bound
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Shams

Clippers bound

Just FYI he's not being bought out so they have to trade for him and absorb $91 million.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Shams

Clippers bound

If they trade Kawhi or Paul George, then yes. If not, then impossible....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6995, 6996, 6997 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6996 of 8560
Jump to: