OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6999, 7000, 7001 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the Cavs will not buyout Klove, as long as the Lakers have that open roster spot? It would not surprise me if teams around the league have advised Cleveland to not buyout Klove, because the Lakers are waiting to scoop him up and him going there is not a good look. No need to help them out.

I don’t think that the Lakers factor into Cleveland’s decision making. They likely won’t buy out Love because it makes no sense to do so.

Yeah, if Love isn't willing to take a significant haircut, it's hard to see Cleveland's incentive to waive him. Blake Griffin is something of a parallel, having had two years and about the same money left, and he gave back $13m. He may have also been seen as a good soldier, having been dealt there after signing with the Clippers but still remaining professional. Cleveland gave Love an oversized deal after LeBron left and he hasn't exactly been a company man.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

7000 pages well done my LG fam 👌
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

IN FOR THE 7,000TH PAGE.

That's it.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

I know most are all in on the Westbrook experiment but all these alternate paths have been looking so much better in my Book. We could have used the Klutch connection for a Wall buy out, grabbed Hield, and still have our 3 and D guards in KCP and Caruso and are big enough to take minutes at the wing.
Plus we still have the ability to grab free agents like Nunn, Monk, Ariza, Dwight, Melo etc. We likely dont grab Bazemore or Ellington who would be beyond redundant. Probably move KCP too as he would be paid too much to be in this glut of guards we'd now have.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the Cavs will not buyout Klove, as long as the Lakers have that open roster spot? It would not surprise me if teams around the league have advised Cleveland to not buyout Klove, because the Lakers are waiting to scoop him up and him going there is not a good look. No need to help them out.

I don’t think that the Lakers factor into Cleveland’s decision making. They likely won’t buy out Love because it makes no sense to do so.

Yeah, if Love isn't willing to take a significant haircut, it's hard to see Cleveland's incentive to waive him. Blake Griffin is something of a parallel, having had two years and about the same money left, and he gave back $13m. He may have also been seen as a good soldier, having been dealt there after signing with the Clippers but still remaining professional. Cleveland gave Love an oversized deal after LeBron left and he hasn't exactly been a company man.

Does Love have anything left in the tank? He was basically cut from the Olympic Team and hasn't played in 61+ games in 5 years. Last year was basically career lows in everything. He looks physically and emotionally shot.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

7000!!!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Page 7,000!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I know most are all in on the Westbrook experiment but all these alternate paths have been looking so much better in my Book. We could have used the Klutch connection for a Wall buy out, grabbed Hield, and still have our 3 and D guards in KCP and Caruso and are big enough to take minutes at the wing.
Plus we still have the ability to grab free agents like Nunn, Monk, Ariza, Dwight, Melo etc. We likely dont grab Bazemore or Ellington who would be beyond redundant. Probably move KCP too as he would be paid too much to be in this glut of guards we'd now have.

Problem is Wall is a walking band aid and pairing him with AD might be a disaster healthwise. Not sure how we'd be able to add both Wall and Hield's salaray anyway, that's over $60M annually.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

Just here for 7000.

...we seriously need a new offseason thread.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Does Love have anything left in the tank?

He probably has more left in the tank than most stretch 4s who are available for the vet minimum, so if he's bought out there will be a feeding frenzy among the contending teams to get him.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Problem is Wall is a walking band aid and pairing him with AD might be a disaster healthwise. Not sure how we'd be able to add both Wall and Hield's salaray anyway, that's over $60M annually.

im talking about adding Wall as a buy out player. Very low risk there. As is he is a luxury as a player who can lead non-Lebron lineups. Basically a better Dennis Shroder. If he gets injured we just surround Lebron and AD with shooters and we'd have a ton:
Hield,KCP,Nunn,Caruso,Monk.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Kevin Love will be rejuvenated playing for a title contender, and he and LeBron have a close relationship, Hopefully we can get him later on in the season but I think he ends up in Portland via trade.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Not really disputing your take, but the bright lights of LA could help re-establish the size of their future potential bags. I’m sure that’s what Nunn and Monk are hoping for.

You may be right, but I'm not sure why players and agents would think that this is true. It might have been true 20+ years ago, but we now live in the age of analytics. Can you think of a player who benefited financially from playing in the glamour of Hollywood (in the sense of significantly enhancing his value in free agency)? Nobody jumps to mind for me, at least not in recent years. But again, you may very well be right. They may be hoping that the Lakers will win a ring and that the halo effect will turn into dollars.

Anyway, Monk is the sort of young reclamation project that you were talking about. He hasn't been as much of a bust as Exum, but he has still been a bust. If we can get something out of him this year, it would be great. If we don't, he's probably on his way to Europe or China.

I think you’re right when it comes to the opposite effect of the bright lights actually burning our ex players.... especially recently. See Schro, Drummond, Wes, Waiters, AvBrad, Cook, McLemore, McKinnie, etc. But our young boys like AC, BI, Zo, Jules, JC, Nance, Hart, Zu, DLo have all gotten that bag too.

In terms of Monk, we didn’t really have the resources/leverage, but I would have liked to see if we could have gotten him on a multi-year deal sans a PO. Same with Nunn.

Either way, it is what it is, but I been beating this drum...we need to be better with asset management. Some fans are obviously keeping their purple-tinted shades on, but they need to see that our handling of assets is a valid concern/criticism of our FO, rather than some opportunity to shade them.

Btw, Okafor to ATL...

Quote:
Shams: Free agent center Jahlil Okafor is signing a non-guaranteed deal with the Atlanta Hawks, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium

Just some random thoughts on the points/issues being discussed.

First I am heavily invested into the draft (see draft forum threads) and have been a proponent of developing prospects on the back end of the roster.

As for the bright lights of LA, the one player who comes to mind is AC. If he played for the Cavs, Blazers, 76ers I don't believe he would have received the size of the bag he did. Playing with Lebron, AD with all the associated publicity that shown on him I believe propped his bag up $2-3 million per year.

As for the remaining young core of prospects, for the most part they earned their bag with their development outside of the Lakers. Exceptions are Nance and Hart who are basically the same player they were coming out of college just polished up a bit. Lakers get full credit for Zu but I am not sure the bright lights had much to do with his $7 mil/year bag. In the cases for DLO, Jules, BI opportunity is the key factor that shaped their development that I don't believe they would have received on a team with championship aspirations.

The last 2 years have been a disappointment draft wise but I look at it as a consequence of assembling a team that can truly contend for a championship. However this should not preclude them from developing potential future complementary rotation prospects. I see the 2way and 1-2 roster spots for this purpose. They wasted the past 2 years with Kostas and in hindsight Cacok. I understand the probable reason why Kostas was kept and I can rationalize Cacok as he is a decent player but there were better prospects imo they could have worked with.

This year they did well in picking up Reaves, Ayayi and in this same vain Monk and retaining THT. They are talents that I can foresee being solid rotation players. My one issue is they are all the same height playing the same position albeit with some duplication and differences in skillset. I would have preferred a wing or stretch big been included although the talent level might not be at the same level as these 4.

You can state having their purple-tinted shades on and yes asset management can be questioned (I do it myself) but in this same respect winning that one championship and being contenders last year and again this season has made me realize that while management is not perfect I am completely satisfied with the outcome. I am sure that everyone here will vouch how euphoric it was winning that championship especially after those dreadful years. As you get older your perspective changes and you tend to live for now and care about the future when it arrives.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Westbrook is slowly but surely becoming the most under appreciated superstar of all time, it’s like people don’t even know how good he is, I’m sure what you said in your scenario is exciting in a sense but once you realize the gap in talent between Westbrook and the others it would be a no brainer to go with the Westbrook route.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

Of course the real exciting scenario would have been getting Westbrook and Hield.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

The roster's set and training camp will soon start.

At this point, why worry about alternative choices we could have made but didn't?

Beyond that, Wall hasn't been bought out, and we don't know when or even if he will be. So it's pretty strange to be pining after an alternative scenario which, at this point, isn't even possible.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
IN FOR THE 7,000TH PAGE.

That's it.

Some say page 6969 was a much more significant page
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
7000 pages well done my LG fam 👌

Why is this a good thing? A lot pages are full of nothing. We haven't had anything real to talk about since July.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

The King and Brodie.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakers/status/1438564087353548800
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

I would like to thank the following for a post on page 7000

Mitch
Rob
Mexicali Tacos
Bob Dylan
The fine lifeguards at Rat Beach.

that is all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
As for the bright lights of LA, the one player who comes to mind is AC. If he played for the Cavs, Blazers, 76ers I don't believe he would have received the size of the bag he did. Playing with Lebron, AD with all the associated publicity that shown on him I believe propped his bag up $2-3 million per year.

You could be right, but Hollinger's model valued him at about $12M. There is nothing magical about Hollinger's model, but it is not affected by the amount of publicity that a player receives.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

not to mention if Kevin is anything like his uncle (Mike Love of the beach boys), it's all about the money for that family...

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

im talking about adding Wall as a buy out player. Very low risk there. As is he is a luxury as a player who can lead non-Lebron lineups. Basically a better Dennis Shroder. If he gets injured we just surround Lebron and AD with shooters and we'd have a ton:
Hield,KCP,Nunn,Caruso,Monk.

Sure, but how do you get a buy out for Wall? He's got $91M+ to go on his contract. As I said in an earlier post, my reading of the report about Wall and the Rockets agreeing to look for a trade is that the Rockets are not going to buy him out unless he takes a significant pay cut. He'd be crazy to do that. Given his age and health, he would never make the money back.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
not to mention if Kevin is anything like his uncle (Mike Love of the beach boys), it's all about the money for that family...

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Mike Love is a huge dickhead..
Brian Wilson is the only genius in the Beach Boy.
Pet Sounds is 100% Brian Wilson…Mike Love hated it. Now he loves it now because it’s considered an all time great….though it’s all Brian’s work…
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

@PlantedTanks: not really disputing anything you really said, just that I do find our methods of managing assets quite inefficient and those assets, even if not fully developed yet, could still help in making our current situation so much more eventful.

We’ve already discussed this ad nauseam, but if this team needs some tinkering around the edges or if god forbid a key injury occurs, do we have the right collection of assets to salvage this current title window as Bron approaches 37years of age?

A title is a title, but as constructed, Bron took a brunt of the playmaking responsibilities in the bubble and his MVP type play along with AD playing through injury at the 5 is what got us the ring...all this coming in a very unique season where we had 4 months of reCOVIDry before we entered the bubble.

I believe this team as constructed has the juice to go add to our ring count, but we could have made it much more easier on ourselves had we retained or flipped some of our assets instead of losing them outright with nothing to show for it. We had no limitations (like the hard cap, not having bird rights, etc), so we chose to artificially cap our title hopes in order to not burden the franchises profit margin. Imho, not a good look.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6999, 7000, 7001 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7000 of 8560
Jump to: