OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3686, 3687, 3688 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I see Jav at 22-23, Noah at 14-15.

You think they can both hold up playing so much?

Jav played 22mpg last year.

Noah played 16.5mpg last year.

That means AD can play small ball center for about 8 minutes per game (4 mpg at the end of each half).

Noah played 16.5 mpg for half a season. And I am too lazy to look but I think we only get around a half season from McGee as well.

He did. But that's b/c he signed with the team in December and then played for most of the season. Grizz fans loved him last year. I agree that I wouldn't count on it for 82 games, but Dwight also missed 73 games last year as well. We are at the bottom of the barrel at this point, but hey, we have 8 guards!!!
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That means AD can play small ball center for about 8 minutes per game (4 mpg at the end of each half).

What are our other options at center? I'm assuming that Davis will be there maybe 10 minutes a game. The Kuz at Center experiment was NOT successful last year, but he's playing it on Team USA now and I wonder if he gets 5-10 minutes there at least to start the season. And what about Dudley? He's basically a stretch 4 now and he played 3-4 minutes per game at C last year. I admit I haven't seen him man the middle and he's only 6'7", but maybe he's a good option against smaller lineups? I wonder how much C he'll play for us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

Yes, if we feel that we have to fill that position right now we are at the bottom of the barrel. I don't think that we have to fill it right now, but my ideas of team building vary greatly from those of this FO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, if we feel that we have to fill that position right now we are at the bottom of the barrel. I don't think that we have to fill it right now, but my ideas of team building vary greatly from those of this FO.

Wish we didn't waste so many slots on guys who can only defend guards. We still need a big wing defender and ideally 1 primary backup center and a 3rd emergency center who can play PF too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What are our other options at center? I'm assuming that Davis will be there maybe 10 minutes a game. The Kuz at Center experiment was NOT successful last year, but he's playing it on Team USA now and I wonder if he gets 5-10 minutes there at least to start the season. And what about Dudley? He's basically a stretch 4 now and he played 3-4 minutes per game at C last year. I admit I haven't seen him man the middle and he's only 6'7", but maybe he's a good option against smaller lineups? I wonder how much C he'll play for us.

Kuz at C should never happen again.

We are literally down to Jav and AD (who doesn't want to play many minutes there).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I think Kuz will be the 3rd best player for us. just optimistic about his shooting and defense

Right, you're not an RPM guy.

rpm for me stands for - hit 37%, average 17, and play average defense... and you have a better rpm than Danneh Green

Even if your team is magically worse with you on the floor than when Danny Green is on the floor (when adjusted for competition).

well as tangibly as that's put the goal is for that not to happen, going forward

Agreed, and in Kuz's favor is that Green is almost 10 years older and wasn't even in the NBA at Kuz's age.

didn't know that.
also the age makes me think he might need load management. we are the managerialist of teams

....GIVE ME BRUNO!

You didn't know it because it's a random and false statement. We just didn't hear about him because, unlike Kuz, Green didn't get any minutes until Pop got a hold of him. But they were both 22 yr old rookies with birth dates in June and July. By his 3rd year, the over 40% three pt shooting guy started to emerge.

I mean, he spent most of his first two years in the G-League and was waived by both the Cavs and Spurs by age 24.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I think Kuz will be the 3rd best player for us. just optimistic about his shooting and defense

Right, you're not an RPM guy.

rpm for me stands for - hit 37%, average 17, and play average defense... and you have a better rpm than Danneh Green

Even if your team is magically worse with you on the floor than when Danny Green is on the floor (when adjusted for competition).

well as tangibly as that's put the goal is for that not to happen, going forward

Agreed, and in Kuz's favor is that Green is almost 10 years older and wasn't even in the NBA at Kuz's age.

didn't know that.
also the age makes me think he might need load management. we are the managerialist of teams

....GIVE ME BRUNO!

You didn't know it because it's a random and false statement. We just didn't hear about him because, unlike Kuz, Green didn't get any minutes until Pop got a hold of him. But they were both 22 yr old rookies with birth dates in June and July. By his 3rd year, the over 40% three pt shooting guy started to emerge.

I mean, he spent most of his first two years in the G-League and was waived by both the Cavs and Spurs by age 24.

Got'cha! Kuz does have a head start his first 2 seasons, and now a spot on the US team. He should enter season 3 brimming with confidence. I will be disappointed if he doesn't bring that 3 pt shooting back to mid 30's. I'm not asking for the 40's yet, just bring it back to around 35-37%.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Imagine if we could have kept Zubac.

If you're going to imagine that scenario, then you have to additionally imagine that Kawhi didn't intentionally lie to our FO leading them to believe he was seriously considering signing with us. That's probably the only scenario where we don't purge or trade away all of those smaller contracts. Of course, that also means that AD has no reason to waive his trade kicker.

That's how this game of "What if..." works. We would have a very different roster and not necessarily better.

Zubac was a RFA

We could have renounced his rights once we got confirmation or kept him like in our current situation.

By trading him prematurely, the team was denied potential flexibility as a result.

This sounds nice in theory, but, it's not in line with reality.

Yes Magic was a moron for trading away Zubac like he did. However, even with Magic out of the picture, Zubac would have been long gone this summer in order to clear the cap space to pursue Kawhi.

There is no point in this equation that allows for "when we got confirmation" and then choosing to resign Zubac. It's not an accident that Rob went to the trouble of ensuring that Wagner, Bonga and Jones were all wiped from the roster to free up max cap space. It would have been no different for Zu. Our supposed "confirmation" came 6 days into free agency.

So, yes the trade was foolish. Everyone agrees with that. But, No, you would not have somehow resigned Zubac when Kawhi is out there intentionally lying to our FO.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Who is Jav?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

JaVale
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

If you're going to imagine that scenario, then you have to additionally imagine that Kawhi didn't intentionally lie to our FO leading them to believe he was seriously considering signing with us. That's probably the only scenario where we don't purge or trade away all of those smaller contracts. Of course, that also means that AD has no reason to waive his trade kicker.

That's how this game of "What if..." works. We would have a very different roster and not necessarily better.

Zubac was a RFA

We could have renounced his rights once we got confirmation or kept him like in our current situation.

By trading him prematurely, the team was denied potential flexibility as a result.

Yes Magic was a moron for trading away Zubac like he did. However, even with Magic out of the picture, Zubac would have been long gone this summer in order to clear the cap space to pursue Kawhi.

There is no point in this equation that allows for "when we got confirmation" and then choosing to resign Zubac. It's not an accident that Rob went to the trouble of ensuring that Wagner, Bonga and Jones were all wiped from the roster to free up max cap space. It would have been no different for Zu. Our supposed "confirmation" came 6 days into free agency.

So, yes the trade was foolish. Everyone agrees with that. But, No, you would have not somehow resigned Zubac when Kawhi is out there intentionally lying to our FO.

What's the moratorium period? When does it start? When does it end? How much was Zubac's cap hold?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Sign Zach Randolph and get it over with.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard is finalizing contract buyout with Memphis and plans to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers as free agent, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka should now cut Dudley for Melo just to put together the most annoying roster in the NBA.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka should now cut Dudley for Melo just to put together the most annoying roster in the NBA.

For real. Ugh
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

We still have to cut DMC right? Make room for iggy or someone else. What's the point of having DMC on the roster?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
We still have to cut DMC right? Make room for iggy or someone else. What's the point of having DMC on the roster?

We are at full capacity.

Iggy is still a Grizz so until then, no reason to.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
textbook wrote:

We are at full capacity.

I guess we could cut him whenever. But there's no realistic way he returns this season at any time. Start season with a couple of 10 days instead of wasted roster spot.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
textbook wrote:

We are at full capacity.

I guess we could cut him whenever. But there's no realistic way he returns this season at any time. Start season with a couple of 10 days instead of wasted roster spot.

I thought that January is the earliest 10 day contracts can be given out.

80. What is a 10-day contract?

Quote:

A 10-day contract is just that, a player contract which lasts ten days (or three games, whichever comes later). Teams may sign players to 10-day contracts starting January 5 each season (even if January 5 falls on a weekend or holiday). Teams cannot sign players to 10-day contracts that would extend past their last regular season game. In other words, after their 80th game or after the 10th day before their last regular season game (whichever comes first) teams can no longer sign 10-day contracts.

A team may sign an individual player to two 10-day contracts in one season (they may or may not be consecutive). After the second 10-day contract, the team can only retain the player by signing him for at least the remainder of the season.

The number of 10-Day contracts a team is allowed to have active is dependent on the number of players on its roster (counting active players, inactive players and other 10-day contracts, but not Two-Way contracts)
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

So, yes the trade was foolish. Everyone agrees with that. But, No, you would not have somehow resigned Zubac when Kawhi is out there intentionally lying to our FO.

Reality is we struck out and ended up with neither zubac nor kawhi because of magic's foolishness.

That's the point of Zubac. He was both a RFA while having a low cap hold, which meant multiple options within reason depending on how certain scenarios played out.

As BVH somewhat mentioned, the NBA moratorium prevented anything from being finalized before July 6th. Since Kawhi decided on July 5th, yes you could have waited for his confirmation before deciding to resign Zubac or not. Being an RFA meant Zubac couldn't just have been included in the AD trade without his permission, so it would have likely been done as listed before while renouncing his rights for cap space . The only issue would have been Zubac accepting an offer from another team. However, this is where a gm would earn his merritt and convinced him to wait given Zubac's love for being part of the laker organization.

Either way a zu or kawhi outcome isn't worst than the present where you have neither one. Even in the worst outcome, you at least had control of the situation instead of shutting the door in advance by trading Zubac prematurely.

Now instead we have to watch DH bring his baggage and potentially ruin laker chemistry again.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

Reality is we struck out and ended up with neither zubac nor kawhi because of magic's foolishness.

That's the point of Zubac. He was both a RFA while having a low cap hold, which meant multiple options within reason depending on how certain scenarios played out.

As BVH somewhat mentioned, the NBA moratorium prevented anything from being finalized before July 6th. Since Kawhi decided on July 5th, yes you could have waited for his confirmation before deciding to resign Zubac or not. Being an RFA meant Zubac couldn't just have been included in the AD trade without his permission, so it would have likely been done as listed before while renouncing his rights for cap space . The only issue would have been Zubac accepting an offer from another team. However, this is where a gm would earn his merritt and convinced him to wait given Zubac's love for being part of the laker organization.

Either way a zu or kawhi outcome isn't worst than the present where you have neither one. Even in the worst outcome, you at least had control of the situation instead of shutting the door in advance by trading Zubac prematurely.

Now instead we have to watch DH bring his baggage and potentially ruin laker chemistry again.

A good post.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

But we had to attach Zu to dump Beasley /s

ugh...
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

But we had to attach Zu to dump Beasley /s

ugh...

They could have just waived Beasley and taken the hit/charge against the team salary if getting rid of him was the only goal. Probably most of the value that Zubac had was for Muscala and Beasley represented salary that was needed to make the trade work.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

An offer sheet doesn't became official until the moratorium ends so we would've had until 7/8 to decide on matching. If Kawhi signs then we simply withdraw the QO or decline to match. We would've had all the cards here.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Rek wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Zubac was a RFA

A good post.

Actually a great post.
If only we had actual professionals running our FO.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3686, 3687, 3688 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3687 of 8560
Jump to: