OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4905, 4906, 4907 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I am of the belief that KCP needs to bet on himself and leave the Lakers to set up his future. With the Lakers he will always be the 4th option putting up modest stats and will never receive the major contract to set up his future life. He will be 28 next year with maybe 2 more contracts in his prime.

While it has been stated there is pressure on Pelinka on how he will treat klutch players I believe Klutch is also under the gun to not only maximize their clients contracts but also to not hamstrung the Lakers financially and hinder their chances of acquiring players who can maximize Lebron and AD's opportunity to win future championships.

Does Rich Paul have to consider maximizing Lebrons and maybe to a lesser extent AD's championship run the next 2-3 years which means KCP moves on? Same applies to Pelinka.

The 'problem' is we always chase these max superstars, so once we have our sights on one (Giannis next summer), we give out contracts that expire then and give us space to go for the big fish. Thats why we arent a good place for these role players looking for long term contracts. Thats why we probably lose Rondo as well (hes a early Bird so we can pay him, but wed have to give a 2 year contract minimum). KCP we have his full bird rights, so if hes OK with a 1 year deal, pay him whatever we can for all i care. Its up to him, go for a long term contract elsewhere now or next summer

We have landed two max superstars since 1996. But we have brought in top 5-10 talent via trade many more times in that time period. Hopefully the FO learned from the Kawhi situation, FAs using the Lakers as bargaining chips is common.

So you’re saying we should give KCP a 3+1 rather than maintain financial flexibility for a loaded 2021? I know Paul George screwed us twice and melts away in the playoffs, but wouldn’t he be an ideal 3rd star in 2021? And with Lebron’s age, we can’t keep rolling him out there and asking him to carry that much of the burden. A star point guard would also be great in 2021. I’m not against the idea of long term role players, but it’s also clear we need someone who can carry us when Lebron is resting and AD doesn’t have it. Like a younger, more consistent Playoff Rondo.

I am saying that we should plan to try to win in 2020-2021. Your comments regarding Lebron are correct and part of the reason you try to win now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1322211501776785408?s=21

Stein with good info.

Today is the day for the league or union to give a notice to opt out of the CBA. Imagine being a player who makes $2 mil and losing a significant portion of that just to start playing a month later.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Tristan Thompson, who I still think is out of the Lakers’ price range, is a significant upgrade over Javale McGee and even Dwight Howard at this stage of his career. The single most useful thing that Thompson brings to the table is the ability to switch onto perimeter players and hold his own. If you look back at the 2016 Finals, there are multiple possessions in which Tristan Thompson switched out onto someone like Klay Thompson and then chased him around the perimeter through multiple screens. While he isn’t anywhere near the rim protector that Howard or McGee are, his ability to switch is arguably more valuable in the playoffs especially against teams like Golden State and Miami that destroy drop coverages and expose slow-footed big men.

On the offensive end, Thompson is an elite offensive rebounder. He is a solid roll man as well. He’s also actually a decent passer as a role man.

Nice post, I still want Howard to come back but TT brings a lot of advantages to the C position like you said, he also has nice lateral speed which can help us when we are playing in transition.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Tristan Thompson, who I still think is out of the Lakers’ price range, is a significant upgrade over Javale McGee and even Dwight Howard at this stage of his career. The single most useful thing that Thompson brings to the table is the ability to switch onto perimeter players and hold his own. If you look back at the 2016 Finals, there are multiple possessions in which Tristan Thompson switched out onto someone like Klay Thompson and then chased him around the perimeter through multiple screens. While he isn’t anywhere near the rim protector that Howard or McGee are, his ability to switch is arguably more valuable in the playoffs especially against teams like Golden State and Miami that destroy drop coverages and expose slow-footed big men.

On the offensive end, Thompson is an elite offensive rebounder. He is a solid roll man as well. He’s also actually a decent passer as a role man.

Nice post, I still want Howard to come back but TT brings a lot of advantages to the C position like you said, he also has nice lateral speed which can help us when we are playing in transition.

Repost: The Tristian Thompson to the Lakers holds a lot of water for me.

1. Pal of LBJ
2. Both his kids (With Khloe K and Jordan Craig) are reportedly in SoCal.
3. Chance to complete for a title again.
4. Better climate that Cleveland.
5. Fills a need (low post defender and rebounder).
6. Availability (health) better than most other options.
7. Shot 39.1% from three point range (low volume 0.4 per game).

IMO Dwight Howard is going to look for one more big payday before retiring. Reportedly GSW is looking at making him a multi year offer with their MLE. Sign Dwight and draft the Wiseman kid out of Memphis to learn behind Dwight makes some sort of sense for them. If I am Rob I am offering him the min. We got lucky he stayed healthy and played his role rather than act a fool.

We could offer the min to Boogie but Rob would be rolling the dice on Boogie being and staying healthy. Thompson would be a safer bet from the health aspect.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

Tristan Thompson would be a huge pickup imo. He's improved a ton on offense, even showed he can make 3's last season too, while he was already an elite rebounder and really good finisher rolling to the rim. Think he would be better off the bench, so you can put a center next to AD in the starting lineup like Cousins to start games and Thompson can takeover off the bench with his energy and activity like Dwight this past season. Thompson is significantly better than McGee on both ends of the floor and is more versatile than Dwight at this stage on both ends of the floor as well. Thompson won't come cheap and the Lakers main priority should be going after a big wing than a big man. But, Thompson would be a huge get and a perfect fit as that energy big man that can turn games with his activity on the boards and has big game championship experience as well.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1322211501776785408?s=21

Stein with good info.

Today is the day for the league or union to give a notice to opt out of the CBA. Imagine being a player who makes $2 mil and losing a significant portion of that just to start playing a month later.

My guess is they push the opt-out date back at least a week.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Yeah I’m definitely leaning towards TT if Howard walks, Ibaka would be nice but there is no signs that he would come here for the MLE, Thompson is a realistic possibility.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

Windhorst hinted on the Allen Silwa show that we might get Paul Millsap
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Paul Millsap looked terrible against the lakers. Borderline useless. Unless it’s for the vet min I don’t see the point. He’s 35

For the vet min and replacing Morris or kuzma? Sure

But I don’t want a team of 35 year olds. If we trade for Chris Paul, and have lebron and Millsap I’m going to roll my eyes.

Millsap is 6-7 and 35. He shoots ok from the perimeter so I don’t mind him cheap. But not for any actual money
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Cyberfreak444 wrote:

Repost: The Tristian Thompson to the Lakers holds a lot of water for me.

1. Pal of LBJ
2. Both his kids (With Khloe K and Jordan Craig) are reportedly in SoCal.
3. Chance to complete for a title again.
4. Better climate that Cleveland.
5. Fills a need (low post defender and rebounder).
6. Availability (health) better than most other options.
7. Shot 39.1% from three point range (low volume 0.4 per game).

IMO Dwight Howard is going to look for one more big payday before retiring. Reportedly GSW is looking at making him a multi year offer with their MLE. Sign Dwight and draft the Wiseman kid out of Memphis to learn behind Dwight makes some sort of sense for them. If I am Rob I am offering him the min. We got lucky he stayed healthy and played his role rather than act a fool.

We could offer the min to Boogie but Rob would be rolling the dice on Boogie being and staying healthy. Thompson would be a safer bet from the health aspect.

Cons: Part of the Kardashian Curse

Hard Pass!
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

Millsap would fit in perfectly and would be an upgrade from Kieff if he signs elsewhere. Millsap shot 43% from 3 in the regular season in 24 mpg and shot 34% from 3 in the playoffs. Yes, he's 35 but he never relied on athleticism and has always been really skilled on both ends of the floor. He's the perfect guy Vogel wants as that hard nosed defender that can guard multiple positions and play multiple roles on offense and defense. Millsap would arguably become the Lakers 3rd most impactful player and can make the case he would become Lakers 3rd best player if you get the 2019-2020 regular season Millsap. Plus, I remember Millsap joked about telling LeBron he left the East to go West in order to win so he didn't have to face LeBron anymore in the playoffs, only for LeBron to head West the year after Millsap joined the Nuggets.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Millsap would fit in perfectly and would be an upgrade from Kieff if he signs elsewhere. Millsap shot 43% from 3 in the regular season in 24 mpg and shot 34% from 3 in the playoffs. Yes, he's 35 but he never relied on athleticism and has always been really skilled on both ends of the floor. He's the perfect guy Vogel wants as that hard nosed defender that can guard multiple positions and play multiple roles on offense and defense. Millsap would arguably become the Lakers 3rd most impactful player and can make the case he would become Lakers 3rd best player if you get the 2019-2020 regular season Millsap. Plus, I remember Millsap joked about telling LeBron he left the East to go West in order to win so he didn't have to face LeBron anymore in the playoffs, only for LeBron to head West the year after Millsap joined the Nuggets.

So basically Millsap is a Kieff insurance in case Kieff walks in FA and we need another stretch 4, would love to have both if that’s possible.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

I don’t want the lakers to spend money on both Kieff and Millsap. They have a few holes about to be created and this laker team cannot get worse with other teams catching up to them

They need to get better to keep themselves on top. They’re playing with fire the more old guys they bring in. At the same time I’m hoping to god they don’t bring in Clarkson. I think he’s a losing player.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

If the Lakers end up re-signing KCP and Rondo, they are most likely only going to have the taxpayer MLE (aka the mini-mid level...worth about $5 million). Honestly, in that scenario, Paul Millsap would be a fantastic addition to the Lakers if he was willing to take at most $5 million. He’s a better stretch four/five than Morris in that he’s a lot better defensively and has been a more consistent three point shooter. He would be a good Morris replacement. You could also throw him on certain bigger wings and he could at least hold his own despite his age. And if the Lakers retain KCP and Rondo, it’s not like they need much more depth - the roster wouldn’t really have any glaring holes...so Millsap would fit in nicely.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

millsap? eh no thanks unless its cheaper
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

Millsap hasn’t experienced winning a title yet and might opt to take the vet min with the Lakers to get a championship, this is likely why Windy said we might get Millsap because Allen Silwa and Windhorst were talking about players coming to play with the Lakers.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Millsap hasn’t experienced winning a title yet and might opt to take the vet min with the Lakers to get a championship, this is likely why Windh said we might get Millsap because Allen Silwa and Windhorst were talking about players coming to play with the Lakers.

vet min and can hit wide open 3's (?) - in
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

No thanks
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

Millsap for the vet's min? Heck yeah. Anything higher? Uh no.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

Milsap's passing, spacing and veteran savvy would be major positives. Wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome. People often talk about spacing as being a function of shooting (and it is). But if your team passing is strong, that's another way to create space.

The subtle truth about the championship Warriors is that they were excellent in shooting and passing, making it impossible to stop them.

Edit

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd be surprised if he was on the table at that price. Didn't he move over $30 million last year?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Milsap's passing, spacing and veteran savvy would be major positives. Wouldn't be unhappy with that outcome. People often talk about spacing as being a function of shooting (and it is). But if your team passing is strong, that's another way to create space.

The subtle truth about the championship Warriors is that they were excellent in shooting and passing, making it impossible to stop them.

Edit

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd be surprised if he was on the table at that price. Didn't he move over $30 million last year?

His last contract was for 3 years/$90 million, but he won't get anywhere close to that again. I could see him falling to the vet's minimum, but it's just as likely Denver will resign him or some team will throw at least part of the MLE his way. Most contenders would welcome a guy like him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
I don’t want the lakers to spend money on both Kieff and Millsap. They have a few holes about to be created and this laker team cannot get worse with other teams catching up to them

They need to get better to keep themselves on top. They’re playing with fire the more old guys they bring in. At the same time I’m hoping to god they don’t bring in Clarkson. I think he’s a losing player.

I don’t mind Millsap, but in the context of the bolded not sure I want him.

We do need to get a little younger tbh.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
So along with praising Kcp on his socials recently, looks like another Klutch brother has hit Bron’s radar.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1322041413123543040

I think dude would work great next to AD as an offensive rebound gobbling center.

I love Tritan, he is a monster in getting offensive rebounds.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

The problem is younger talent tends to be more expensive.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

We are in a win now mode so veterans are more important commodity for us. We do have young players that we should be keeping unless it’s for that legit 3rd star upgrade. And young players tend to choose that security .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 4905, 4906, 4907 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 4906 of 8560
Jump to: