OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
We REALLY could have used Noel you know....

Yup

We could have used a center, but after reading what he did to that rental house and then the drug suspension, I was ok with him not being a laker. We have a lot of young dudes on our squad...I don’t think a low character guy like him was a good fit.

I mean, you know what Lance got up to.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think we have a chance for AD to be honest, Klutch connection notwithstanding.

Boston can't trade for AD right now b/c of the Rose Rule (can't have two Rose rule guys on a team, and Irving is one). But in 2019-20, can offer something like Smart (filler salary), Brown, Sacto pick, any other picks they have (and they have a lot), and maybe even Rozier for AD. We can't beat that.

Our best road is to keep the young core, sign a max FA in 2019.

I just scanned through wikipedia. It says:

Under the 2017 CBA, the "Designated Player" limit remains at two, but in a new feature, teams are now able to create Designated Player contracts from their own veteran contracts. In addition, teams may now use their Designated Player slots on any combination of their own rookie contracts, their own veteran contracts, or players acquired in trades.

Doesn't this mean that teams can have 2 designated player slots (2 rose guys can be on one team) via any combination and hence Irving occupying one designated player slot is not a bar for AD?

24. What is the Designated Player rule? What are the performance criteria for earning a higher maximum salary?

Quote:

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie and one designated veteran may have been acquired from another team in a trade.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think we have a chance for AD to be honest, Klutch connection notwithstanding.

Boston can't trade for AD right now b/c of the Rose Rule (can't have two Rose rule guys on a team, and Irving is one). But in 2019-20, can offer something like Smart (filler salary), Brown, Sacto pick, any other picks they have (and they have a lot), and maybe even Rozier for AD. We can't beat that.

Our best road is to keep the young core, sign a max FA in 2019.

I just scanned through wikipedia. It says:

Under the 2017 CBA, the "Designated Player" limit remains at two, but in a new feature, teams are now able to create Designated Player contracts from their own veteran contracts. In addition, teams may now use their Designated Player slots on any combination of their own rookie contracts, their own veteran contracts, or players acquired in trades.

Doesn't this mean that teams can have 2 designated player slots (2 rose guys can be on one team) via any combination and hence Irving occupying one designated player slot is not a bar for AD?

24. What is the Designated Player rule? What are the performance criteria for earning a higher maximum salary?

Quote:

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie and one designated veteran may have been acquired from another team in a trade.

Oh! That clears things! It's the trade bit which limits it to one designated player. Thanks for the clarification!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks Bard!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
George W Buss wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Klay Thompson kind of sucks when he doesn’t have Curry or Durant to space the floor.

He is not a franchise player. I do not think he deserves a maximun contract.

In a league where Paul George is worth max, so is Klay Thompson

Market value is not the same as value on the court. If you let market value determine what you will pay for a player, then you are letting the worst GMs in the league run your team. That's because they inflate the market prices by overpaying for players.

As I've said before, Klay Thompson is a classic example of the halo effect causing a player to be overvalued. He is a good outside shooter and an above average defender. He is not a superstar, except to the extent that the exposure from playing on the Warriors makes him a media superstar. He is not a franchise player. Someone might give him a max contract, but I sure hope it isn't us.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

Yup

We could have used a center, but after reading what he did to that rental house and then the drug suspension, I was ok with him not being a laker. We have a lot of young dudes on our squad...I don’t think a low character guy like him was a good fit.

Beasley had some issues a decade ago.

Beasley fined $50,000 for involvement in Rookie Transition Program incident

Quote:

Miami Heat rookie Michael Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Thursday after acknowledging that he was involved in an incident involving teammate Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Darrell Arthur at the Rookie Transition Program this month.

The NBA said Beasley, the No. 2 overall pick, originally failed to cooperate with the league investigation of the matter. The Heat said Beasley eventually chose to reveal that he was part of the incident.

Chalmers and Arthur, former Kansas teammates, were fined $20,000 apiece last week after being banished from the rookie symposium. They were found in a room at the resort where the event was taking place with two women -- which violated NBA policy for the event. Security at the resort said the scent of marijuana was detected, but no drugs or drug paraphernalia were found, and Chalmers and Arthur both insisted they were not using any illegal substances.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

Yup

Quote:

Miami Heat rookie Michael Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Thursday after acknowledging that he was involved in an incident involving teammate Mario Chalmers and Memphis' Darrell Arthur at the Rookie Transition Program this month.

The NBA said Beasley, the No. 2 overall pick, originally failed to cooperate with the league investigation of the matter. The Heat said Beasley eventually chose to reveal that he was part of the incident.

Chalmers and Arthur, former Kansas teammates, were fined $20,000 apiece last week after being banished from the rookie symposium. They were found in a room at the resort where the event was taking place with two women -- which violated NBA policy for the event. Security at the resort said the scent of marijuana was detected, but no drugs or drug paraphernalia were found, and Chalmers and Arthur both insisted they were not using any illegal substances.

I assume Beas knows his way around a league mandated drug test. I hope Stephenson has gotten a lot of counseling.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

Yup

Quote:

I assume Beas knows his way around a league mandated drug test. I hope Stephenson has gotten a lot of counseling.

Beasley probably has figured the drug test stuff out by now.

I was just pointing out that Lance isn't the only player that they brought in that has been less than a saint while in the league.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
lol those boys in green went after Embiid with the taunts today

It’s scary that every player on the Celtics can shoot 3s. Even Baynes and Smart don’t hesitate now. Yikes.

Eh they only shot 30% from 3 tonight with a ton of attempts. Philly shot even worse.

The Rockets were in the bottom half of the league in 3pt% last year. And GS, takes almost 70% of their shots from 2pt's I'm pretty sure. The shooting 3's thing is being way overhyped. So many different ways to win.

It’s not so much just making 3s, it’s important that the threat is there to open lanes and breakdown a defense.

It’s not a coincidence that every team (except the lakers?!) is copying the Warriors and Rockets blue print. It has to be a threat, otherwise it’s awfully tough to score when the opponent can just clog up the lanes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Man, Philly is an example of how teams without 3 point shooting can be stymied even though they have 2 really talented young players in Simmons/Embiid.

Also shows how important Bellinelli/Ilyasova were to that team when they were buyout guys. Lakers will hopefully benefit from getting some solid buyout guys down the road. 76ers went on their winning streak with those two playing key minutes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

Yup

Quote:

Beasley probably has figured the drug test stuff out by now.

I was just pointing out that Lance isn't the only player that they brought in that has been less than a saint while in the league.

True. The bottom line ultimately matters much more than character, though all men have the capacity to change for the better.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, Philly is an example of how teams without 3 point shooting can be stymied even though they have 2 really talented young players in Simmons/Embiid.

Also shows how important Bellinelli/Ilyasova were to that team when they were buyout guys. Lakers will hopefully benefit from getting some solid buyout guys down the road. 76ers went on their winning streak with those two playing key minutes.

Yup.

I get what the Lakers are doing. They want to run opponents into the ground; so they don’t seem to be as concerned with the 3 point shooting. Time will tell, because as long as I’ve watched basketball...half court execution has mattered and in today’s game that’s proven to include significant 3 point conversion/shot making.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup.

I get what the Lakers are doing. They want to run opponents into the ground; so they don’t seem to be as concerned with the 3 point shooting. Time will tell, because as long as I’ve watched basketball...half court execution has mattered and in today’s game that’s proven to include significant 3 point conversion/shot making.

Need both. Thankfully, LBJ is probably the best person in the NBA to exploit the halfcourt matchup.

I do think our team will look different rotation-wise come the playoffs.

Yes, we are making the playoffs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And then Boston exposed Belinelli and Ilyasova as one-way players who couldn't defend down the stretch against a team without Kyrie and Hayward. The Sixers have a similar issue as last season in that their two best shooters are undersized, mostly one-way guards - Reddick has aged out of what utility he had as a defender and Shamet is a skinny rookie - and they have too many reluctant shooters sharing the floor at any one time, now exacerbated by Fultz's complete lack of confidence in his deep jumper.

Luke can theoretically avoid a similar non-shooting roster disaster with these Lakers if he puts the right personnel groups together. And because Lebron has a dangerous jumper where Simmons has nothing. That will be the biggest difference.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
lol those boys in green went after Embiid with the taunts today

It’s scary that every player on the Celtics can shoot 3s. Even Baynes and Smart don’t hesitate now. Yikes.

Eh they only shot 30% from 3 tonight with a ton of attempts. Philly shot even worse.

The Rockets were in the bottom half of the league in 3pt% last year. And GS, takes almost 70% of their shots from 2pt's I'm pretty sure. The shooting 3's thing is being way overhyped. So many different ways to win.

What is your source for Houston being in the bottom half in three point % last season?

I was looking up something else and sorted the three point percentage column since I was already on the web page.

2017 - 18 Regular Season Three Point Percentage

It has Houston at #14 which is slightly in the upper half.

Quote:

...........TEAM.............................3P%
1 Golden State Warriors.............39.1
2 Boston Celtics.........................37.7
3 Sacramento Kings................... 37.5
4 Washington Wizards ...............37.5
5 Detroit Pistons........................37.3
6 Cleveland Cavaliers ...............37.2
7 Denver Nuggets.....................37.1
8 Charlotte Hornets...................36.9
9 Indiana Pacers.......................36.9
10 Philadelphia 76ers................36.9
11 Portland Trail Blazers...........36.6
12 Utah Jazz............................36.6
13 New Orleans Pelicans...........36.2
14 Houston Rockets...............36.2

15 Atlanta Hawks......................36
16 Miami Heat..........................36
17 Dallas Mavericks..................36
18 Toronto Raptors...................35.8
19 Minnesota Timberwolves ......35.7
20 Brooklyn Nets......................35.6
21 Chicago Bulls .......................35.5
22 Milwaukee Bucks..................35.5
23 LA Clippers..........................35.4
24 Oklahoma City Thunder.........35.4
25 Memphis Grizzlies..................35.2
26 San Antonio Spurs.................35.2
27 New York Knicks....................35.2
28 Orlando Magic.......................35.1
29 Los Angeles Lakers................34.5
30 Phoenix Suns ........................33.4

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

And then Boston exposed Belinelli and Ilyasova as one-way players who couldn't defend down the stretch against a team without Kyrie and Hayward. The Sixers have a similar issue as last season in that their two best shooters are undersized, mostly one-way guards - Reddick has aged out of what utility he had as a defender and Shamet is a skinny rookie - and they have too many reluctant shooters sharing the floor at any one time, now exacerbated by Fultz's complete lack of confidence in his deep jumper.

Luke can theoretically avoid a similar non-shooting roster disaster with these Lakers if he puts the right personnel groups together. And because Lebron has a dangerous jumper where Simmons has nothing. That will be the biggest difference.

Yeah. The roster was bolstered by 1 trick ponies on offense, and Covington is that too.

Re: Lakers, I think we can be a better shooting team than the 76ers. Fultz was an utter non factor with Simmons and should be on the bench operating the rock. He can't play off ball.

If Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Beez can be 35% 3 point shooters, and KCP/Hart/LBJ can be 35%+ 3 point shooters, that's 7 of our core rotation players being average to above average 3 point shooters.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

This is actually one of the times Broccoli didn’t sound insane. Mr. Turrible essentially made the same point about 76ers deficiencies at G. I guess he knows his former organization well.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

Houston struggled offensively and won two games against Warriors scoring below 100. If we play defense like that and have Lebron fit, I'd bet on Lakers to beat even team over 7 games except GSW. Maglinka set up this team believing that we can suffocate teams on the defensive end. We don't know whether that will come to fruition on the court or not. If it does, I don't think lack of shooting will drag us down. No one expected a MDA team to play that kind of defense against GSW when last season started either.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Maglinka set up this team believing that we can suffocate teams on the defensive end.

I don't know about that, and the preseason has showed we are not close to that.

We are set to run and gun, and likely try to outscore teams rather than stop them.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Kevin Durant Addresses 2019 Free Agency: Crystal clear on possible free agency: 'Don't ask me every time you see me'

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-durant-crystal-clear-possible-free-agency-dont-ask-every-time-see-121947508.html

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/10/kevin-durant-addresses-2019-free-agency.html
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Maglinka set up this team believing that we can suffocate teams on the defensive end.

We are set to run and gun, and likely try to outscore teams rather than stop them.

Most starters play halfheartedly and does not step up their gear in the preseason. I believed we going to struggle though in the beginning especially at the defensive end
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Most starters play halfheartedly and does not step up their gear in the preseason. I believed we going to struggle though in the beginning especially at the defensive end

Sure. But you could still tell that we have structural issues at the point of attack and center spots regardless.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Sure. But you could still tell that we have structural issues at the point of attack and center spots regardless.

We will be fine in the regular season but will get exploited in the playoff. Our team identity is mainly run and gun in the regular season and Lebron ball iwhen it matters. I think we will pick a big that can clog the middle like Tyson Chandler for a playoff run. Zu is too soft for physical matchup
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. The roster was bolstered by 1 trick ponies on offense, and Covington is that too.

Re: Lakers, I think we can be a better shooting team than the 76ers. Fultz was an utter non factor with Simmons and should be on the bench operating the rock. He can't play off ball.

If Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Beez can be 35% 3 point shooters, and KCP/Hart/LBJ can be 35%+ 3 point shooters, that's 7 of our core rotation players being average to above average 3 point shooters.

Right on, and since most longer half-court possessions will end in a Lebron PnR, anyway, having 3-5 of that group around him with his elite scoring efficiency out of the PnR (1.02 PPP, 91st %ile last season) should produce more efficient outcomes than Simmons running the same action against the clock.

But that's again another reason why Lonzo needs to show out a bit to start the season and retake the starting gig Walton gave to Rondo - having both Ingram and Rondo as reluctant shooters with McGee as a non-shooter could gum up the starting unit's half-court offense in ways we saw from the Sixers last night.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This is actually one of the times Broccoli didn’t sound insane. Mr. Turrible essentially made the same point about 76ers deficiencies at G. I guess he knows his former organization well.

There's so much value in having your stars be your best shooters, especially if they're also your creators. Getting enough two-way shooters around shaky shooting offensive fulcrums like Embiid and Simmons gets expensive quickly and can be difficult to maintain.

This applies to Ingram and Ball, as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 132 of 8560
Jump to: