Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Potentially elite depending on his motor, work ethic, and jumper. He looks like a generational athlete with a legit foundation of guard skills in an NFL DE's body. Injuries may be a long-term concern given how he plays at his size.

Yep same thoughts.

Needs to watch his weight. Is he really 285 as a college freshman? How much of that is fat vs. muscle?

He will need to be disciplined in his diet and physical fitness. Would prefer he played at 265.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Potentially elite depending on his motor, work ethic, and jumper. He looks like a generational athlete with a legit foundation of guard skills in an NFL DE's body. Injuries may be a long-term concern given how he plays at his size.

Yep same thoughts.

Needs to watch his weight. Is he really 285 as a college freshman? How much of that is fat vs. muscle?

He will need to be disciplined in his diet and physical fitness. Would prefer he played at 265.

It's tough to say, but he may just carry 280-285 with a low body fat percentage. Here's a recent pic: link.

That kind of vascularity would seem to be difficult to achieve if he was carrying a lot of baby fat, but I'm no fitness expert.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Damn, the Hawks could have a sexy lineup real quick with two potential lotto picks in this draft:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

With Svi Huerter, Spellman, and Bembry providing depth. Not bad at all. Obviously they wouldn't be good until 2022, but there's a whole lot of fun offensive punch on one young team.
SmartBaller420
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Damn, the Hawks could have a sexy lineup real quick with two potential lotto picks in this draft:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

With Svi Huerter, Spellman, and Bembry providing depth. Not bad at all. Obviously they wouldn't be good until 2022, but there's a whole lot of fun offensive punch on one young team.

No way Hawks pass on Zion aka Shaquille Wilkins
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

Barrett is more of an all around player but Zion is crazy freaky in certain aspects. Can’t go wrong with either.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

I have Zion going #1 to the Nets and Barrett #2 to the Hawks
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

I would too. Zion has the rarer talent.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Megaton wrote:
6’7 with 6’10 arms and can’t shoot. But 285 pounds and jumps like Shawn Kemp.

I’m gonna be make this black or white: Zion is either Lebron James or Anthony Bennett.

Or the gray area: a rich man’s Julius Randle.

Anthony Bennett never jumped like Shawn Kemp, fwiw.

Very few ever jumped like Kemp.

AB still had good hops.

In transition, not in standstill.

That verticality with strength is what separates Zion from all other 4/5s. Nevermind the ability to make crosscourt reads, signs of an actual jumper, and the ability to attack off the dribble.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:

nice

Human Highlight Diesel
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

we will have to see how it plays out....not ready to claim Zion over Barrett or Little. Open to get there.....just have to see how they look starting November 6 against Kentucky. I am not sure what Zion can do that RJ Barrett can't do just as well.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

we will have to see how it plays out....not ready to claim Zion over Barrett or Little. Open to get there.....just have to see how they look starting November 6 against Kentucky. I am not sure what Zion can do that RJ Barrett can't do just as well.

Can Barrett do anything Zion cannot do? I ask as if they are close in skill levels Zion's bulk/strength is the difference.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:

nice

Human Highlight Diesel

Shaq's too tall. Maybe Dominique Barkley
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:

Trae Young
RJ Barrett
Taurean Prince
John Collins
Jontay Porter

We will have to see. This is my preseason projection and I'm more than willing to change my mind based upon how these guys perform over the next few months.

Wrt what Zion does better, he clearly rebounds better now and I think he may actually be a damn good defender with a chance to average 4 stocks per 40, which I don't see Barrett achieving. On offense, the big difference between Zion and Barrett is that RJ has to shoot as a pure wing whereas Zion's ability to play up at PF or even C makes him less jumper dependent. And really what holds Barrett back (and he's at worst #2 on my early board) is that he's struggled shooting off the bounce against good competition to date, and that pull-up jumper efficiency is his only path to star-level impact.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Yep same thoughts.

It's tough to say, but he may just carry 280-285 with a low body fat percentage. Here's a recent pic: link.

That kind of vascularity would seem to be difficult to achieve if he was carrying a lot of baby fat, but I'm no fitness expert.

I saw a video about his dad and Zion. His father was a promising basketball prospect who suffered a career ending injury. He explicitly says he was living the life he thinks he missed out on his through his son. He's basically conditioned him to be a basketball player from birth.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
How good is Zion?

Yep same thoughts.

I saw a video about his dad and Zion. His father was a promising basketball prospect who suffered a career ending injury. He explicitly says he was living the life he thinks he missed out on his through his son. He's basically conditioned him to be a basketball player from birth.

You mean his step dad. His real father was a DE and played College Football. This doesn't have anything to do with your post but I just shake my head at people who question his skill level. He was a point guard his whole life up until 3 and 1/2 years agi
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject:

I really just whoever has #1 to take Zion because I would absolutely hate for him to end up on the Celtics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
governator wrote:
SmartBaller420 wrote:

nice

Human Highlight Diesel

Shaq's too tall. Maybe Dominique Barkley

The Round Mound of Highlights?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Another point in Zion's favor is that the league is clearly in the middle of the thicc boy revolution led by Jokic, Doncic, and Felton with Zion next in line. We should all try to get ahead of the curve, because the revolution is coming at moderate speeds, and it will be thicc.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Another point in Zion's favor is that the league is clearly in the middle of the thicc boy revolution led by Jokic, Doncic, and Felton with Zion next in line. We should all try to get ahead of the curve, because the revolution is coming at moderate speeds, and it will be thicc.

Jontay Porter was popular in the draft thread last season.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

I think Barrett will go #1 and Zion #2. Barrett has that polished pro game (similar to Tatum) that I don't think 'pops', but I felt the same about Tatum. Plus he grew up with a Dad who was a pro and knows what it takes. Zion will go #2, though. I think he will show he's a lot more than an athlete (saw glimpses during exhibition games).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Great call, Bard! I can't believe I forgot one of my favorite thicc sons.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I think Barrett will go #1 and Zion #2. Barrett has that polished pro game (similar to Tatum) that I don't think 'pops', but I felt the same about Tatum. Plus he grew up with a Dad who was a pro and knows what it takes. Zion will go #2, though. I think he will show he's a lot more than an athlete (saw glimpses during exhibition games).

That's probably how it will go, but NBA teams make mistakes in the draft all the time

We'll see what Barrett does as a shooter this year - not just C&S, but off the dribble - because my concern is that he's dependent on drawing a ton of fouls on drives that may not be as sustainable against bigger and better NBA athletes. That doesn't mean he's not a viable #1 pick in this draft or that he can't strengthen his weaknesses over time, but that his inflated efficiency through a high free throw rate may mask some underlying flaws in his shooting profile that Tatum didn't have at the same age. And where Tatum is more Paul George-ish - and I admit I was very wrong when I saw him as Harrison Barnes-esque pre-draft - Barrett reminds me early on of a DeRozan-esque slasher.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Ahhh baby fat don't count
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to college one-and-done route

Quote:

In a move that could challenge the NCAA's monopoly on elite talent, the NBA's G League is creating a new venture as an alternative to the one-and-done route for the best American basketball prospects, it was announced Thursday.

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

There is quite a bit more to read at the link.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
I really just whoever has #1 to take Zion because I would absolutely hate for him to end up on the Celtics.

If they don't get him then they're getting RJ Barrett 😪
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 6 of 441
Jump to: