Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Good thing zion was able to walk to the locker room on his own. It might not be too serious. If he had been carried to the locker room then that's a different story.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

freakin Luke Maye

I am officially a Cam Reddish believer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I am irrationally angry that Zion might be injured.

they keep talking about how they have never seen anyone blow out a shoe that way.....which is weird, i have seen that happen multiple times in NBA games. Didn't Nick Young blow his out a few seasons ago?

I know it happened to Ginobili once. Don't remember the Swaggy shoe pop.

Yep and it's Nike's.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am irrationally angry that Zion might be injured.

they keep talking about how they have never seen anyone blow out a shoe that way.....which is weird, i have seen that happen multiple times in NBA games. Didn't Nick Young blow his out a few seasons ago?

I know it happened to Ginobili once. Don't remember the Swaggy shoe pop.

here it is...thought it happened to Swaggy

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/2014/12/nick-young-blows-out-the-sole-on-his-cool-grey-jordan-11s
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
JeffZillgitt

Timing in relation to Zion Williamson injury is coincidental, but NBA moves past informal discussions with NBPA and submits proposal to union to lower draft-eligible age from 19 to 18.

Will it be effective before 2019 draft? LaMelo will be eligible then.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

So by 2022 draft.

Quote:
This is the first step in formal negotiations to lower the age limit by the 2022 draft. The issue is collectively bargained between the NBA and NBPA, and both sides need to agree to any rule change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

@Mike: so what are your thoughts on Reaves v. Thybulle v. Matthews as wing prospects?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

@Mike: so what are your thoughts on Reaves v. Thybulle v. Matthews as wing prospects?

they are ok...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to draft Thybulle / Mathews
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I haven't watched enough of Reaves. I've seen a lot of Thybulle and Matthews and haven't decided between them. But, if it's for the Lakers, I'd hate to say, but I think the guy more likely to succeed is Matthews.

Thybulle, oddly enough, I think has the highest upside, predicated on his predictive abilities defensively, with his feet tied to his hand eye coordination. I think he would learn new skill sets the fastest. I am a bit concerned that he's a bit timid offensively, and basically the timidness makes/breaks his NBA career. Otherwise, I think like he and Melton, they both have 1 thing they do best. It's not just playing defense, but it's about helping teams win the possession game defensively. That dude erases opponents points from wing/top of zones AND he steals. His defense alone is worth a lottery pick, even if he just plays 20 minutes a game.

Matthews, is one of my favorites, but he does have his holes. On Michigan is their primary isolation guy. But until it's time, he picks his spots well in the offense and keeps the ball moving. I would say he has average feel defensively, but his feet/hips/strength are so well linked together, he can be an above average defensive play with an average stock rate.

Personally, I love his isolation game, because it displays his footwork. Unlike other players, he doesn't seem to overtly stop the offense, because he's so decisive when he goes into his shot creation or pick and roll game. My favorite part is, he gets every single clean look at the basket. Every single time. He may have some issues with shot accuracy, and I think he'll be a streaky/average 3-point shooter if his NBA career goes on a normal increase/trajectory, but elbows and in? He's a fun Iso guy to watch. He shows enough passing ability to not make me hate his game.

Also, are you referring to Josh Reaves?

I'm really not joking when I say if the Lakers go lottery, unless they get a prospect they really want, trade down for late 1st/early 2nd and buy additional 2nds...

...Then draft between 9 guys out of Iowa State and Michigan.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
So by 2022 draft.

Quote:
This is the first step in formal negotiations to lower the age limit by the 2022 draft. The issue is collectively bargained between the NBA and NBPA, and both sides need to agree to any rule change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

NBPA is supposed to review Monday....will be interested in their response. It is in current memberships best interest to not allow 18 year olds into the draft.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I haven't watched enough of Reaves. I've seen a lot of Thybulle and Matthews and haven't decided between them. But, if it's for the Lakers, I'd hate to say, but I think the guy more likely to succeed is Matthews.

Thybulle, oddly enough, I think has the highest upside, predicated on his predictive abilities defensively, with his feet tied to his hand eye coordination. I think he would learn new skill sets the fastest. I am a bit concerned that he's a bit timid offensively, and basically the timidness makes/breaks his NBA career. Otherwise, I think like he and Melton, they both have 1 thing they do best. It's not just playing defense, but it's about helping teams win the possession game defensively. That dude erases opponents points from wing/top of zones AND he steals. His defense alone is worth a lottery pick, even if he just plays 20 minutes a game.

Matthews, is one of my favorites, but he does have his holes. On Michigan is their primary isolation guy. But until it's time, he picks his spots well in the offense and keeps the ball moving. I would say he has average feel defensively, but his feet/hips/strength are so well linked together, he can be an above average defensive play with an average stock rate.

Personally, I love his isolation game, because it displays his footwork. Unlike other players, he doesn't seem to overtly stop the offense, because he's so decisive when he goes into his shot creation or pick and roll game. My favorite part is, he gets every single clean look at the basket. Every single time. He may have some issues with shot accuracy, and I think he'll be a streaky/average 3-point shooter if his NBA career goes on a normal increase/trajectory, but elbows and in? He's a fun Iso guy to watch. He shows enough passing ability to not make me hate his game.

Also, are you referring to Josh Reaves?

I'm really not joking when I say if the Lakers go lottery, unless they get a prospect they really want, trade down for late 1st/early 2nd and buy additional 2nds...

...Then draft between 9 guys out of Iowa State and Michigan.

I meant Josh Reaves, yes. His shooting has regressed painfully this year, but he creates more stocks events than Matthews, has a little wiggle, a solidly 1.5:1 A/TO ratio, and I've seen him make off motion jumpers here and there. But again, his shooting across the board has regressed to his freshman year level, which is at least a yellow flag. I liked him more than Thybulle coming in, but he's disappointed me.

I love watching Matthews as a POA defender, but do his lack of stocks concern you? I can rationalize them for Hunter in UVA's system, but it's harder to do the same with Matthews.

Great write-ups, thank you. What Thybulle is doing on defense is nearly unprecedented - it's Nerlens Noel, Bo Outlaw, Shane Battier stuff - but you identified the key issue: he floats on offense without offering Battier's shooting gravity, Outlaw's passing, or Noel's roll gravity. But he does have obvious upside as a shooter, smart, low usage passer, and off-ball cutter. Will he realize it in the pros after not doing so for four years in college?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Also, @Mike, Brandon Clarke and Jontay Porter will clearly be available in the teens given how NBA front offices think. Even if the Lakers squeak into the playoffs and end up with pick #19, say, I bet they have a chance at at least one of Clarke/Porter. I wouldn't trade off of either of those two.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Also, @Mike, Brandon Clarke and Jontay Porter will clearly be available in the teens given how NBA front offices think. Even if the Lakers squeak into the playoffs and end up with pick #19, say, I bet they have a chance at at least one of Clarke/Porter. I wouldn't trade off of either of those two.

Agreed.

LeBron would want Clarke...

But I want Porter.

As long as someone takes the pressure off at 5 while allowing some guard skills...

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I love watching Matthews as a POA defender, but do his lack of stocks concern you? I can rationalize them for Hunter in UVA's system, but it's harder to do the same with Matthews.

The lack of stocks doesn't concern me. As long as he's in the right position, he's fine.

But it's also what I mean by average defensive feel, but great feet/hips/position coordination. That athletic ability makes up for high end defensive IQ/awareness/reactive issues.

FWIW, I have a lot of faith in Thybulle's shooting, because Washington's spacing is garbage and I know he's willing to take it. Willing to attack closeouts? Probably not, but in the very limited sample that he does attack, he looks fluid/comfortable. There's a lot of upside to unravel there.

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Clarke is probably going to keep rising. Porter scares me personally.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

I agree with both thoughts....I mean Clarke definitely has a draft ceiling...not sure if he can climb to far into the lottery. Porter showing up at the combine last year totally out of shape....then the claims about him really struggling with his weight....very worried after being out a year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

With Clarke, the draft is so weak, and imho, he completed his first "basketball leap" with another good leap left when he hits the NBA ranks.

But he showed so much improvement within his first basketball leap that I think his upside may be higher than anticipated. I'm optimistic about his individual scoring upside, even if he gets a lot of garbage buckets like Kuzma and Ceballos.

LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Reddish really seems to lack explosiveness.
I’ve seen a number of times where he’s ahead on a breakaway and the defender is still able to catch up and knock the ball away as he goes up.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I am slowly becoming a fan of Cameron Johnson. Lights out 3 point shooter. Could possibly play the 2,3 or 4 position depending on matchup.

6'8 210 lb w, a 6'11 wingspan.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I predicted our pick to be in10-14 range
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Tyler Herro is getting more and more interesting as a prospect.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Finding Kentucky and Kansas unbearable to watch. What am I missing?

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Finding Kentucky and Kansas unbearable to watch. What am I missing?

not sure about Kentucky (have not watched much), but Kansas will be lucky to get to the second weekend of the tournament....the Big 12 screams mediocre this season. Devon Dotson is about the only player on Kansas that I enjoy watching.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Spent some time watching film and just looking at draft prospects....mostly just at a high level. It appears we will be drafting somewhere between #12-#14, and based on where mocks are slotting guys to some degree, I have came up with a list of guys I am interested in at this point.

- first, if anyone like Romeo Langford, Darius Garland or Nassir Little slipped to us, I would grab them based on the upside they each bring. Also, would grab a guy like De'Andre Hunter or Jarrett Culver if they were on the board. Since I doubt they are on the board, my list is (no particular order)....

---Jaxson Hayes
---KZ Okpala
---Coby White
---Bruno Fernando

Late 1st & 2nd Round Guys interested in if we buy a pick or trade down. (no particular order)

---Charles Bassey
---Shamorie Ponds
---Jalen McDaniels
---Iggy Brazdeikis
---Dylan Windler
---Carsen Edwards
---Killian Tillie
---Udoka Azubuike

Currently, my preference would be to trade down. I think there is more value with multiple picks later in the 1st and early 2nd than late lottery.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 34 of 441
Jump to: