Bird-Magic rookie card goes for over $125K

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Bird-Magic rookie card goes for over $125K

Bird-Magic rookie card goes for $125,200

Quote:
A gem mint version of a 1980 Larry Bird-Magic Johnson Topps rookie card had a winning bid of $125,200 on eBay on Wednesday night.

If the sale is consummated, it would be one of the highest prices paid for a basketball card.

LINK
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject:

Probably overpaid due to a bidding battle the person wanted to win. If it's a dealer who wants to resell it for profit later, that is. If it's a rich F who doesn't care and plans to keep it forever, then no harm, no foul. Cards are very volatile. That same card sold last year at Heritage Auctions for 66 after selling for 96 in 2016. That person who sold it in 2016 lost 30G.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

wish I was like Biff Tannen taking an almanac back in time, but also taking a Beckett with me....and just accumulating these cards.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I remember being at a card show back in the mid 80s. Someone had a couple Magic/Bird rookies for $1 each. Basketball cards weren't popular back then like baseball cards, but I was like that's just a sick card, so I bought both. Still have them.

Guess I should get them graded.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
wish I was like Biff Tannen taking an almanac back in time, but also taking a Beckett with me....and just accumulating these cards.

You are like Biff in the Politics thread.

I was perusing Heritage Auctions site (ha.com). With an account, you can see past hammers on items. In the sports category, they have game worn, signed Jordan jerseys in the 22-30K range. Plus a lot of old Lakers stuff, interesting time waster. Early 80s Kareem/Magic/Bird signed jerseys. Kareem goggles. That stuff seems more tangible to me than cards. That Bird/Magic rookie and the Jordan rookie Fleer are probably the two best known NBA cards ever, but I would be very nervous plunking down 120 grand on any basketball card. Expensive baseball cards like the famed Sweet Caporal Cigarette's 1909 Honus Wagner are solid. Bigger collector base.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:

You are like Biff in the Politics thread.

I was perusing Heritage Auctions site (ha.com). With an account, you can see past hammers on items. In the sports category, they have game worn, signed Jordan jerseys in the 22-30K range. Plus a lot of old Lakers stuff, interesting time waster. Early 80s Kareem/Magic/Bird signed jerseys. Kareem goggles. That stuff seems more tangible to me than cards. That Bird/Magic rookie and the Jordan rookie Fleer are probably the two best known NBA cards ever, but I would be very nervous plunking down 120 grand on any basketball card. Expensive baseball cards like the famed Sweet Caporal Cigarette's 1909 Honus Wagner are solid. Bigger collector base.

i have so many friends from the 80s with big nba card collections that are worth nothing. NBA really didn't do too well in that stuff. Probably the biggest one I remember (other than MJ, Magic, Bird) were the david Robinson rookie where he is holding the jersey. I knew a guy that got two in one pack, he opened it right in front of me at the time. nba cards are worth nothing.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

^
Sports cards were never meant to be an investment, and people who expect them to be are likely to be disappointed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: