View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Again with 2010? First of all, Perkins went down for Game 6 and 7 and that basically lost the Celtics game 6 as the players were shell shocked. In Game 7, we lost the rebounding war to the Lakers badly with no Perkins but were still winning. All of a sudden in the 4th quarter, the refs start calling ticky tack fouls on the Celtics and Pau Gasol is flopping like mad which eventually allows a comeback by the Lakers with Kobe shooting a horrible 6-24. If anything the Celtics had more adversity in that series as even KG was not 100% himself.

Oh well, we have 2008 and now 2018 with the Red Sox 4-1 winners over the Dodgers.

Why are you on a Lakers site whining about a series 8 years ago in a Dodgers thread? It takes a special kind of asshat to decide on the night his team wins the freakin' World Series to go to an opponent's site to (bleep) about a long ago series just to poor salt on the wounds in another sport. Stop being a classless tool hijacking a thread over a topic that has nothing to do with the current topic.

What? I didn't bring up 2010 in this topic. You can look at your fellow Dodger fan Steve007 and thank him for that. Actually if you look at my historical posts right after Game 7 2010, you'll see that I was actually gracious and congratulated you LA fans. I did not bring up the officiating at all because it would have looked like soul grapes. Check it out here.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=112841&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Of course now that your fellow fans bring it up 8 years later in a Dodger topic to make themselves feel better, I feel like I can respond with my opinion of that game and how one sided the officiating was in one quarter. Still whatever, Lakers won in 2010 and we got 2008. Let's see how it plays out in the future between Boston and LA.

So what?! Steve007 brought up the Lakers 2010 title team because of the adversity that the team overcame as a parallel to what the Dodgers needed to figure out how to accomplish. It was on topic regarding the Dodgers, yet here you are again in this other baseball thread whining about that Laker series that has NOTHING to do with the topic on hand, derailing the focus. Are you that obtuse to have not seen the point that he was trying to make?

We got it. You haven't gotten over the game 7 loss from 8 years ago and your feelings are hurt and you demand the world knows and acknowledges it. WE. DON'T. CARE. Stop trolling and filling these threads with comments that contribute nothing.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Unless Kenley returns to 2017 regular season form he should not even be considered as a closer in any future postseason game.

I would be plenty satisfied with pre heart murmur 2018 Kenley. Up to that point he had a 2.15 ERA with 32 saves and 3 blown saves--one of the, if not the, very best in the league. His missed some time and came back horrible due to medication issues and saw his ERA go to 3.09 in four outings, getting two losses and a blown save. His ERA dropped a bit after that but he ended with a 3.01 ERA so he was not the same. During the time he was out or the days immediately after returning when he was so shaky and not himself, the Dodgers were 4-9.

As it turned out, he had 38 saves and 4 blown saves. The only pitcher who had 30 saves and fewer blown saves was Aroldis Chapman at 32 and 2.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
No guarantee this team will be back in the World Series next year.....it could get ugly if they have the same roster with no major shakeups.

Why ugly? Arizona is blowing it up. SF has an old roster.

It's between Rockies and Dodgers again.

Dodgers have the most talented roster in the NL West. Pretty much everyone is coming back.

Urias will be a starter again. Buehler will be the new ace. Ryu might be back.

The bar that's set isn't the dbacks or giants. The Dodgers organization will need to figure out how to measure themselves against the very best. Since Roberts wasn't the front office's initial choice anyways, there's a possibility they look elsewhere for leadership. Interestingly enough, among the top prospective managers in the game that have not managed yet, a few of them have ties to the Dodgers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-next-wave-future-managers-mlb-170555905.html
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
[Dave Dombrowski] “If you have a manager, you need to let him run the club.”

Quote:
[Stern] Despite fact that Walker Buehler would want the ball, Dave Roberts told us he was told by org that he cannot use him for an inning tonight

Sounds like our issues run deeper than Roberts.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

It seems like we'll never ever figure out the bullpen. It seemed like we finally had it all figured out last year, then they imploded in the World Series.

This year the bullpen played way over their heads into the World Series, and then finally collapsed against an elite lineup that was way ahead of the Braves and Brewers.

I just don't know at this point. It doesn't seem like this team is ever going to break through and end the drought. And we're stuck with young players like Bellinger that may never reach their full potential. We're not going to move on from cost-controlled players like him.

Machado didn't make big enough of a difference and probably wouldn't going forward if we were to re-sign him (I highly doubt it at this point). The same goes for Harper.

There are no true impact starters to sign in the offseason. We'd have to trade for one and the main one I would want is deGrom but it seems unlikely that the Mets trade him.

The only things that give me hope outside of additional transactions are if Seager can come back and play up to his previous level of production, if Walker Buehler takes another big step in his development, and if Urias can stay healthy and become that #2-3 guy in the rotation. But right now I don't see a team that is capable of winning the World Series unless we make some big changes this offseason.

The AL is so ahead of the NL right now too that it's ridiculous. This team is kind of like the baseball equivalent of the New Jersey Nets right now going up against the Lakers and the Spurs in the Finals.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

For me, I think Kenley should be given another chance. He has a heart issue that will need to be addressed this summer, hopefully they can correct an he’ll be back to his best.

I also may be minority but I want Manny back. 30+ homer and 100 RBI guys don’t grow in trees, he’s a great player, and locking him up along with a returning Seager sets your infield up with a lot of talent and production. Only thing you need to consider is who plays where, but we can figure that out.

Would like Ryu back too if they can work out something reasonable, but think it’s time for Yasmani to go.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:

The bar that's set isn't the dbacks or giants. The Dodgers organization will need to figure out how to measure themselves against the very best. Since Roberts wasn't the front office's initial choice anyways, there's a possibility they look elsewhere for leadership. Interestingly enough, among the top prospective managers in the game that have not managed yet, a few of them have ties to the Dodgers.

Which brings up a point few seem to understand: It is not like Houston last year or Boston this year (especially Boston who was 11-3 in the post season) were stopped by anyone else. (We probably know how the teams and fans felt facing the Lakers in those 3-peat finals). People want to replace so and so with some unnamed so and so, someone who might not exist. Also, assuming the Dodgers can find this mythical person, what must it cost them, and will it make the team better?

Last edited by ribeye on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
[Dave Dombrowski] “If you have a manager, you need to let him run the club.”

Quote:
[Stern] Despite fact that Walker Buehler would want the ball, Dave Roberts told us he was told by org that he cannot use him for an inning tonight

Sounds like our issues run deeper than Roberts.

I certainly hope it isn't. As much as people like to blame the overuse of "analytics", remember that the Dodgers are really nascent in establishing their current iteration of it. It took the red sox several seasons before seeing the true fruits of their labor, having gone through Little despite his winning record to embracing Francona, who had a losing managerial record prior to his run with the sox. Roberts seems to have tapped out his potential as a manager. The Dodgers should seriously look at other candidates that can push the Dodgers to that next level.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Which brings up a point few seem to understand: It is not like Houston last year or Boston this year (especially Boston who was 11-3 in the post season) were stopped by anyone else. (We probably know how the teams and fans felt facing the Lakers in those 3-peat finals). People want to replace so and so with some unnamed so and so, someone who might not exist. Also, assuming the Dodgers can find this mythical person, what must it cost them, and will it make the team better?

I think there will need to be some tweaks in the organization regarding roster building. I thought the red sox were actually a year away from where they ended up. Their position players coming up in the system were not surprisingly looking to be impact players for those that follow the minors. I thought the pitching would take another year, but they fast-tracked it by essentially copying the Yankees' bullpen blueprint from last season, i.e. grabbing guys that throw rockets for fastballs. It seemed every guy coming out of the pen can dial up 98-100 mph. Sure, the narrative was that their bullpen wasn't their strength, but I thought that was nonsense when you've got guys that can throw as hard as they can and still have decent to great breaking pitches to counter... assuming the manager uses them right. The Dodgers will need to really look into what they're trying to build.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

I think there will need to be some tweaks in the organization regarding roster building. I thought the red sox were actually a year away from where they ended up. Their position players coming up in the system were not surprisingly looking to be impact players for those that follow the minors. I thought the pitching would take another year, but they fast-tracked it by essentially copying the Yankees' bullpen blueprint from last season, i.e. grabbing guys that throw rockets for fastballs. It seemed every guy coming out of the pen can dial up 98-100 mph. Sure, the narrative was that their bullpen wasn't their strength, but I thought that was nonsense when you've got guys that can throw as hard as they can and still have decent to great breaking pitches to counter... assuming the manager uses them right. The Dodgers will need to really look into what they're trying to build.

Interestingly (?) Boston and the Dodgers had the exact (to the hundredths digit) same Bullpen ERA at 3.72, though Boston would have the better ERA+ or ERA- due to park factors.

Last edited by ribeye on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Go Dodgers!

Last edited by OCWA on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Once upon a time, Tommy Lasorda would manage a team to the World Series. In the World Series, if he had a dominant starting pitcher, he'd let that guy stay in the game and throw 130-140 pitches. Two or three days later, he might bring that guy in as a reliever. THEY'D WIN THE WORLD SERIES. And Tommy would worry about the guy's arm falling off a year or two later when it happened. Usually the pitcher was cool with it.

Last edited by MickMgl on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I thought Machado would have a big series after what he showed in game 1. I think he would like to come back but I don't think we can afford him. A lot of analysts have him leaving anyways so thats probably a foregone conclusion. The most pressing need is probably addressing our pitching. Other than Buehler or maybe Ryu our pitching in the postseason is pretty weak. We will probably have to swing some trades to get what we want.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Once upon a time, Tommy Lasorda would manage a team to the World Series. In the World Series, if he had a dominant starting pitcher, he'd let that guy stay in the game and throw 130-140 pitches. Two or three days later, he might bring that guy in as a reliever. THEY'D WIN THE WORLD SERIES. And Tommy would worry about the guy's arm falling off a year or two later when it happened. Usually the pitcher was cool with it.

Yeah, you probably won't see that anymore in this iteration of baseball. Guys like Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, etc probably would get taken out after 6 innings even if they were lights out.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:

That's just now how it works anymore, in any sport. Look at what's happening with Leveon Bell. Players are looking after their health and future earnings. I'm sure 1988 was really fun and maybe Orel was fine with his usage but there is no doubt that the playoff use drastically altered his career.

It's also in the team's best interest to protect their assets. They do not want to burn these arms too early.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Yeah, you probably won't see that anymore in this iteration of baseball. Guys like Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, etc probably would get taken out after 6 innings even if they were lights out.

Yeah back in the day's of my youth, Koufax would often pitch over 300 innings. As a matter of fact he pitched 658 2/3 innings his last two seasons. Of course, his arm nearly fell off, or I'm sure it felt that way, and he could no longer bear the pain and retired at 30 years of age.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

We're going to extend Roberts. Just shoot me now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
No guarantee this team will be back in the World Series next year.....it could get ugly if they have the same roster with no major shakeups.

Why ugly? Arizona is blowing it up. SF has an old roster.

It's between Rockies and Dodgers again.

Dodgers have the most talented roster in the NL West. Pretty much everyone is coming back.

Urias will be a starter again. Buehler will be the new ace. Ryu might be back.

There a huge difference between "it could get ugly" and "the bar that's set isn't the dbacks or giants."

Which one should I respond to?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Since they are going to extend Roberts, then the blame should go on the front office if we can't win in the future. They will need to make some free agency moves in the offseason.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We're going to extend Roberts. Just shoot me now.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Since they are going to extend Roberts, then the blame should go on the front office if we can't win in the future. They will need to make some free agency moves in the offseason.

As I said in the 2018 thread (is there really a need for two?):

ribeye wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
nickuku wrote:
All i can say is Roberts better not having a job by November.

Just read they are about to give him a multi year extension.

Crazy

My guess is that he is a good company man, who follows the outline, if not a complete script, he has been given.

Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

1st year - Manager of the Year with an NLCS appearance
2nd year - World Series Appearance
3rd year - World Series Appearance

A guy who achieves that gets extended. Also, it could be that the front office does not blame the "failures" on Roberts but on the players he was provided. They will try to fix that themselves. Or they could just have my viewpoint and believe that this team will break through eventually and Roberts gives them the best chance to do that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:

Hopefully, they don't treat Buehler this way. I'd like for Buehler to last another 10 years.

Same thing with Urias. I'd hate to see Urias pitching 130-140 pitches a game next year. I don't know if that's the best way to get us to the World Series anyways.

I remember after Hershiser's amazing 1988 season, he was never the same dude again. So, literally, he gave everything he had to that 1988 season.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
I didn't bring it up first. slavavov brought it up on page 331 saying we'll always have Game 7 2010 over Boston or something like that so I only responded to that post with my opinion and perspective.

Actually, I don't mind you bringing it up as an example but some of your fellow fans are getting on my case for responding to 2010 and going off topic.

Rightfully so, IMO.
Now that you have said what you want to say, why don't you go celebrate your victory somewhere else and let the Dodger fans have this thread to talk about next year.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MickMgl wrote:

Hopefully, they don't treat Buehler this way. I'd like for Buehler to last another 10 years.

Same thing with Urias. I'd hate to see Urias pitching 130-140 pitches a game next year. I don't know if that's the best way to get us to the World Series anyways.

I remember after Hershiser's amazing 1988 season, he was never the same dude again. So, literally, he gave everything he had to that 1988 season.

I don't think anyone would throw more than 100 pitches during the regular season nowadays unless they had a no-no going.

But in the World Series, if you guy is dealing like Walker and Rich were, I say leave em in until they show signs that they're done. I'm sure Kershaw would have traded years off the tail end of his career for a WS win if it meant going 130+ pitches.

When you're on the biggest stage you do things you wouldn't normally do because the whole reason you play is to win (and get paid, of course).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 4 of 248
Jump to: