Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

That was beautiful!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Of course the Dodgers are going to let Puig and Kemp beat them. Of course Jansen throws Kemp an 0-2 strike, despite having Angel F'ing Hernandez umpiring behind the plate.

The Dodgers are just so damn frustrating. They really are.

that is frustrating? Try having David Bell as your manager. I wish him and Kemp would take a separate car home from the game tonight, and get lost forever. He put a JV lineup out there because he wanted to make the ex Dodgers feel good? Kemp had an extremely rare productive night at the plate, but it was his turtle self and middle school girl arm that cost the Reds the first run. No way that Pederson gets to 3rd in the 1st if anyone else is in Left Field. Then again, maybe Pederson does not even try unless he saw sorry ass Kemp out there....then he would have scored on the Bellinger double anyway.

So we give Kemp his welcome home after Winker has hit home runs in the last two games, and is finally showing life.....but that is not good enough for Bell.....he needs to sit Joey Votto for the 3rd time in the last 8 days. Ok fine.....Votto says he is 100%, but I guess Casali is not too bad of a replacement....oh wait, Bell decided to sit the starting catcher, Casali has to catch for a pitcher that he has been least effective with the last 2 years. Oh well, Dietrich will have to do....at least he can bring some power to the lineup.....nah, lets go all the way to the end of the bench so Kyle Farmer can waive at the 3 Dodger fans that even remember him.....and he goes hitless with an error in the field.

Just when you think the man has did everything possible to lessen the odds of his team being successful, he uses Michael Lorenzen as the pinch hitter when he takes Castillo out. Lorenzen is a decent hitter "for a pitcher", but he is a worse hitter than any of our field and bench players. Dude has not had a hit this season. So Bell looks down the bench and sees Joey Votto (one of the best pure hitters in the game), Jesse Winker (a young guy that has made his name with his bat this early in his career), and Derek Dietrich (who leads the team in HR's and RBI's).....and sends Lorenzen out there to hit! Lorenzen strikes out on a Kershaw curve with a swing fitting of a pitcher.

I have seen bad luck, and I have seen stupid....but David Bell is a whole nother breed of idiot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, that sucks, but it's a game in April.

Try watching your manager continually send Yasmani Grandal, a career .107 postseason hitter, up to the plate in critical pinch-hitting situations in the postseason ahead of David Freese. You know, with a World Series at stake.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yeah, that sucks, but it's a game in April.

Try watching your manager continually send Yasmani Grandal, a career .107 postseason hitter, up to the plate in critical pinch-hitting situations in the postseason ahead of David Freese. You know, with a World Series at stake.

I just had to blow off some steam. I figured we could win 1 of the 3 game series, with a chance at stealing one. I think last night was the one to steal. Kershaw was good....but he was not traditional dominant Kershaw out there in his first outing.....needed the best lineup possible to try to take advantage of that situation, because he will likely be much better the next time we see him. On top of that, lets be honest, the Reds chances went up when Bellinger had to exit....nobody wants a dude to get hit....but it definitely favored the Reds that he could not continue.

Tonight, we have Tyler Mahle on the mound.....and he has an even better ERA than Castillo, but it is mostly small sample. He does not have nearly the stuff that Castillo has on the mound. I am very concerned about him against that Dodgers lineup tonight.....I can see him doing ok if he can get through the first few innings, but I can also see him getting rocked early. As you saw last night, Raisel Iglesias is not himself. His velocity is down, and has been since the spring. It is starting to look like the Reds may need to consider another arm to be closer if he does not figure things out quickly.

It is going to be hard for me to come around on David Bell....I am usually pretty "whatever" when it comes to managers/coaches....but this guy has me near Byron level angry. He has began to use the tired phrase "trust the process"! There is some that believe he is playing Kemp a lot to try to get an AL team to pay some of his salary so they do not simply have to eat his salary when Senzel joins the team, but I am suspicious. It is clear Kemp does not want to be there from what I have read.....and Reds fans feel the same. We have Phillip Ervin in Louisville who is 3x the player Kemp is today.

In conclusion, the Dodger are very solid again. Their lineup is probably as good as anyones in the NL...Milwaukee is probably up there with them, but both will need better pitching by the time the playoffs get here. I can still see a really good team with the Reds, but it may be next year before we have the strength to make a strong playoff push.

P.S. - Rick Sutcliffe is the worst national baseball broadcaster I have came across in some time. I know he started his career with the Dodgers, but dude's bias was strong. He made it beyond clear he did not think much of Puig personally, and kept dragging "unnamed Dodgers" into the conversation as evidence which I thought was classless. Then dude, claims after Suarez and Votto, Michael Lorenzen was the best hitter on the Reds!?!? Reds Twitter exploded after that statement. Another miss I thought was when he suggested that Kershaw was trying to hit Kyle Farmer after Dave Flemming claimed Kershaw was not trying to hit Farmer. I would be absolutely shocked if Kershaw was trying to hit Farmer. I think everyone knew Castillo did not hit Bellinger on purpose, and why would Kershaw wait 2 innings to hit someone to retaliate....even then, why choose your former teammate? It made zero sense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

rumors are that Craig Kimbrel has lowered his asking price to maybe as low as 3/$39 Million and Dallas Keuchel may entertain a 1 year deal. The team both seem most linked to is the Brewers. Would it be wise of the Dodgers to grab one just to keep the Brewers from getting him?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

I would go after Kimbrel. If Kenley and Kelly return to form then we have a great 7-8-9 lineup for the playoffs. A guy not have to go for more than 3 outs is huge.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Kimbrel. Keuchel really doesn't alter the landscape in any way. If the Brewers want him, fine by me. Kimbrel would make their bullpen even more dangerous than it was a season ago, assuming Jeffress gets back to health, because Kimbrel is better than Knebel. With Jansen not quite what he once was, and with Joe Kelly possibly being a gas can, yeah, Kimbrel would help the Dodgers greatly. I'd be all for that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

it would be interesting....not sure if Kimbrel would push Jansen to his best version, or diminish his confidence.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kimbrel. Keuchel really doesn't alter the landscape in any way. If the Brewers want him, fine by me. Kimbrel would make their bullpen even more dangerous than it was a season ago, assuming Jeffress gets back to health, because Kimbrel is better than Knebel. With Jansen not quite what he once was, and with Joe Kelly possibly being a gas can, yeah, Kimbrel would help the Dodgers greatly. I'd be all for that.

Usually I'm 1:1 with you, but I disagree here w/r/t Keuchel. He eats a lot of innings, brings stability to the rotation, and allows us to keep the innings of the young arms and the frequently injured low. Worst case, all he does is eat innings. Best case, he's a Cy Young candidate with an ERA + and FIP that consistently rank in the tops of the league. Given that Kershaw, Hill, and Ryu are (seemingly) just as likely to join the IL as they are to make their next start, I think Keuchel brings tremendous value.

Oh, and if it wasn't clear, i'm all in on Kimbrel. Dodgers wanted Chapman a couple years back -- if there was an issue with Jansen, i doubt they would have pursued that back then, when KJ was easily the second-best (if not the best) closer in the Majors. I actually think Kenley would welcome it
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

If you guys get a chance, watch Max Fried pitch for the Braves. Ever wonder what Hill would look like with a 95 MPH fastball? That's Max Fried
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

what is this Joc Pederson guys problem....and why do the Reds continue to pitch to him. 5 more feet, and his last 3 at bats would be HR's
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Usually I'm 1:1 with you, but I disagree here w/r/t Keuchel. He eats a lot of innings, brings stability to the rotation, and allows us to keep the innings of the young arms and the frequently injured low. Worst case, all he does is eat innings. Best case, he's a Cy Young candidate with an ERA + and FIP that consistently rank in the tops of the league. Given that Kershaw, Hill, and Ryu are (seemingly) just as likely to join the IL as they are to make their next start, I think Keuchel brings tremendous value.

Oh, and if it wasn't clear, i'm all in on Kimbrel. Dodgers wanted Chapman a couple years back -- if there was an issue with Jansen, i doubt they would have pursued that back then, when KJ was easily the second-best (if not the best) closer in the Majors. I actually think Kenley would welcome it

The Dodgers just don't care about eating innings. They can just cycle through 7, 8 starters who may throw 100-140 innings, and they are totally cool with that. Take the ability to throw 180ish innings out of it, and is Dallas Keuchel any better for, say, 5+ innings (that's often all the Dodgers ask of their starters) than Ryu? Maeda? Stripling? Hill? I don't think that answer is yes, so I don't think they need to spend $15MM per year on an innings eater. The Dodger rotation is very good, and any addition should be more of an ace. Keuchel makes sense for plenty of teams, but I just don't think we are one of them. The Angels would be one of those teams, because they need a guy who can take the ball and give them a chance to win every time out; they don't have the depth to simply put out a good starter each game like the Dodgers do.

Kimbrel, now, that's a relief ace, and not just a guy. So yes, they should be all over that, if his price has come down.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

i would get both. both can be serve as insurance policies for Kershaw and Jensen at worst case scenario.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

just saw the Reds lineup for the day....some advice to the Dodgers, just make contact, and you will have about a 90% chance of getting on base with this Keystone Cop group in the field.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Take a glance at the video highlight (hitting) headlines at the Dodgers' MLB.com site:

Pederson's 2-run homer

Verdugo's 2-run double

Hernandez's RBI single

Verdugo's RBI infield single

Nice. Variety. The way it outta be. Not just using the long ball for scoring runs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the best division in baseball so far is the AL West....worst division? That honor goes to the AL East.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Urias was electric for 6 shutout innings of 1-hit ball, striking out 9.

Verdugo threw a guy out at the plate to save Joe Kelly's bacon in the 8th; Kelly just isn't getting the ball up like he needs to with the fastball, and is leaving the ball down in the zone where guys can get the barrel on it.

And Kenley still looks shaky. Allowed a leadoff bomb to Yelich, it took him 11 pitches to get Braun on a K where he was fouling off pitch after pitch, and he gave up a hit to a struggling Aguilar. Got out of it, but I'm not convinced he's close to the same dude he once was, kind of like Kersh. Still effective relative to the rest of the league, just no longer incredible at what they do.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

^Agreed, the 9th was excruciating....that said, we are on a roll finally.

We had a great amount of talent, props to the guys for 1st place in the Division despite the one cold streak.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
^Agreed, the 9th was excruciating....that said, we are on a roll finally.

We had a great amount of talent, props to the guys for 1st place in the Division despite the one cold streak.

Verdugo is a budding star. Joc is still doing his thing against right-handed pitching, but Verdugo offers so much more in the way of defense that I think they would go with Verdugo as the LF in the postseason if everything keeps going as it is right now. (A lot can change, of course.) I think they like having the depth because Pollock has gotten hurt so often, and if that happens, they can simply slide Bellinger or Verdugo to CF and keep both Verdugo and Joc in the lineup against righties every day. Verdugo may not be a 500+ plate appearances guy this year, but I'm guessing he ends up with 400+ when it's all said and done.

Also, if Jansen keeps looking mortal and if the Dodgers don't add someone like Kimbrel or a major trade deadline acquisition, I wonder if they would at least consider using Urias in a Hader-like bullpen role in the postseason. I'd still like to see him as a starter, since I think he could realistically be our second-best postseason option to start games, but it's something to think about.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

100% agree with those wanting to add Kimbrel.

Kenley does not look dominant
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Kimbrel was even worse than Kenley at times last year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
rumors are that Craig Kimbrel has lowered his asking price to maybe as low as 3/$39 Million and Dallas Keuchel may entertain a 1 year deal. The team both seem most linked to is the Brewers. Would it be wise of the Dodgers to grab one just to keep the Brewers from getting him?

Kimbrel would be great to have on a reasonable contract. Fortifying the bullpen with elite players is the game plan. Signing another starter doesn't make much sense for the Dodgers when they have so many young prospects that can eat up innings and show what they can do at a major league level unless that starter is an elite ace. No point in having an innings-eater if he's not gonna be a guy that will play a big role in the playoffs.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

I wonder if some of the members at "BucksGround" are calling for the Brewers to sign Kimbrel. I mean heck, Hader ain't what he used to be. . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 53 of 248
Jump to: