Tips for getting a job? (16 year old) [old thread]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Tips for getting a job? (16 year old) [old thread]

So I want to get a job but it's freakin impossible! I live in a nice and populated area so there are a lot of opportunities out there

So far I'm thinking of:

Baskin Robins
Urban Outfitters
AMC theatres (didn't get called back)
John's Supermarket

(bleep), basically anything that isn't fast food. I haven't ever had a job before but I have done community service in the past and could make a resume if I had to. Are there any ideas for jobs/tips you can give me?

Or better yet, how do I start? Go into the store and ask?
I guess I'll start looking around tomorrow, the online applications don't do justice since I think my best ability is kissing ass and being friendly when needed all the while charming them with my beautiful face. Provided I do get an interview, what questions should I expect?

It's just that managers would rather take an average adult than a bright teenager, which is understandable but annoying. I would even be willing to work once school starts back up again, provided I like the job. Wouldn't mind minimum wage either.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I was in your situation... here are some tips...

It's the summertime, work outside. There are plenty of landscaping companies that will hire you to work. The hours are usually good, 6 or 7 til 5 or so. That way, you are always free to spend that dough on the ladies at night. Besides, it pays half decent.

If not that, try and get a job with a cell phone store. You can make alot of quick cash on commissions, and the work is really easy.

Three, if you are bright... write papers for people older then you. My freshman year in college, I was writing Senior Thesis and Diss. papers for older students... made a killing.

If all else fails, McDonalds. They always hire.

Good luck.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Isn't it a little late to get a summer job? I'm sure there's not many openings out there at this point.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject:

O yea sorry, didn't answer your whole question...

Just go to all the different stores you are interested in working at and just ask for an application. Fill it out there if you can, and try to hand it to a manager/supervisor. If you can get a sec of their time, try and see what kind of openings are available, etc...
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:

just don't do customer service. holy (bleep), you meet some the worse/stupid people ever. some of which make you want to punch in the face!@
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject:

the biggest thing is you following up. These people interview and forget. Be persistent.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Grociery Store or In-n-Out. Pick one.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject:

-Stop off at every store, restaurant, business you see around and ask if they are hiring. (but when you stop by, make sure you look good. Make sure you present yourself well.)
- A great resume (since your 16, youre not gonna have much, add skills, talent, and capabilities that you have or know you can do, things you learned from school. beef up your resume... make it seem you are capable of doing anything... basically what im saying is, almost lie. )
-Dont be picky! take whatevers out there. (c'mon your 16.)
Lakers For Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:

My suggestion is pick something you want on your resume as a future reference when getting another job. Go in the lines with something you desire to do in life. Dress up and look neat.

I once went and filled an application. Went in the next day to add on my application that I spoke 2 languages, by then I was in the middle of a stack of applications about 2 feet high. But they called me in later that afternoon for testing and interview and got the job on the spot.

Last edited by Lakers For Life on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:

HOTELS!!! like the super 8, comfort inn, etc... economy brands will hire you in a heartbeat... the desis are always looking front desk help

i know becuase im now a hotel owner... (i took over the family business)
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
HOTELS!!! like the super 8, comfort inn, etc... economy brands will hire you in a heartbeat... the desis are always looking front desk help

You wanna give me a job
I appreciate the tips everyone!!

I'm not trying to be picky just anything other than fast food would be ideal!

I still have 3 questions though:

-I know it's important to dress nicely, but what does that mean? Casual but nice (like a nice pair of jeans and t-shirt)?

-Do I do my followup in person? On the phone? What do I say?

-When I go to get the application, should I get it directly from the manager, or only if it seems appropriate? Because I'm sure the manager is thinking of other things more important.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

You wanna give me a job

-I know it's important to dress nicely, but what does that mean? Casual but nice (like a nice pair of jeans and t-shirt)?

-When I go to get the application, should I get it directly from the manager, or only if it seems appropriate? Because I'm sure the manager is thinking of other things more important.

-its important to dress nice because shows that you are classy/dressy or professional and sadly some of them might judge you on how you dress for example they would hire someone wearing a suit rather than someone in baggy jeans and big shirt haha....you should also dress nice when you go interview like dress shoes, dress pants, collar shirt with a tie rather than just jeans and a shirt...

-dont really understand that question

-well you should just go to the store and ask the employee or manager for the application if there hiring and if its the manager make a good first impression

if i were you, i would work at AMC because i worked at the movie theater and its pretty easy...just need to pick up trash...oh yaa extra curricular activities at school or community service hours and good grades is a plus so they know that you are a responsible and determine to work
hope this help and hopefully you get a job that you want
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

You wanna give me a job

dress nicely... no jeans... comfortable slacks/dockers and tucked in polo or shirt..

follow up in phone or person.... the more you show that you are hungry for the job he will eventually give you a chance... keep bugging the manager that you need a job

when you get the application ask for the manager... hes more likely to remember you when you come in and return it to the manager...

also.. on a side note.... when the manager asks you "are you going to school?" what days can you work? be honest! if you cant work certain days becuase of school let him know.... the biggest pet peeve a manger has is flakey front desk staff.... HE HATES WORKING THE DESK!.. so tell him if you hire me I AM DEPENDABLE. also ask for weekends nights... he will be glad to hear something like that....

also tell him you are looking for something long term...
a motel manager is not looking to waste his time train some kid in a tedious computer system only for you to quit 3 monthes later... tell him you are looking to stay long term

LOL... sorry bro... but at this moment im already fully stocked staff
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:

BTW the shifts are usually 7-3, 3-11, or 11-7 night audit
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:

Dude -

you don't even wash your hands after handling your junk - PLEASE don't handle anyone's food
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject:

When I was 16 I worked at a convalescent home getting $6.00 an hour.

The summer before that I was working as a volunteer there. They hooked me up with a job the following year.

Maybe you can try those places.

All you do is talk to elderly people while they go on their leisurely walks. Or they'll have you push their wheelchairs to the dinner hall in the evening. It's actually a great job. You LEARN so much about people. At times it got depressing but it's good to be in their company.

"The mafia appeal to your intellect - 'You're an intelligent person aren't you? And you realize it's very difficult to walk without knees?'" - Richard Pryor
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:

As far as which job to choose, it seems being a waiter is always a good choice.

You can find work ANYWHERE you happen to be, it usually pays relatively well for what it is, you will work with tons of hot girls, you can usually gain experience and work your way into bartending (where you make even more money and most people I know who do/have done it had a blast)...

The only thing is you probably will have to give up at least one weekend night to work.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject:

So today I went to Staples (had a now hiring sign) and a bowling alley as well.
Doubt I'll get either one of those despite 30 min applications to each one.

Should I just give up? Teenagers just can't get a job nowadays. It's a no go with all of my friends too. It's not like I'm just applying for a summer job, I want something that will last me even once school resumes. What a joke this is. If I can't get a job I can't imagine what it's like for an adult who needs a job to live, yet is even less qualified than I am. At least I'm being supported by my family. BS.

I'm just as if not more capable of any of this easy work than any of the people working at the stores. The lady at staples I first spoke to barely even spoke English
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:

I'm just as if not more capable of any of this easy work than any of the people working at the stores. The lady at staples I first spoke to barely even spoke English

But I bet she washes her f'n hands.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HungryBear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject:

yea, i'm 18 and am in pretty much the same situation as you, looking for work. I filled out 15-20 different applications for all kinds of places ranging from Restaurants, to Staples, to Food 4 Less, to Barnes and Noble. Didn't get a call back from all but 1 or 2. The economy is just too tight, most of them told me they were either on a hiring freeze or had to cut off some jobs. In the end, I just gave in and got a job at fast food. It's actually not that bad, despite the fact most people there primarily speak spanish, which I never cared to remember after learning it in school. They were all really nice, showed me how things ran, and it was actually a pleasant surprise.
v3n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject:

Maybe you can improve your chances by getting a certification of some kind. If you're good with computers, look into A+ or MCSE or something. You just need something to separate you from the pack.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
So today I went to Staples (had a now hiring sign) and a bowling alley as well.
Doubt I'll get either one of those despite 30 min applications to each one.

Should I just give up? Teenagers just can't get a job nowadays. It's a no go with all of my friends too. It's not like I'm just applying for a summer job, I want something that will last me even once school resumes. What a joke this is. If I can't get a job I can't imagine what it's like for an adult who needs a job to live, yet is even less qualified than I am. At least I'm being supported by my family. BS.

When you're a teenager, you can't really be that picky about where to work. People won't hire at most places just because you're young and part-time. Check all the mall stores, doughnut shops are fun, landscaping, i hear In-N-Out pays like 11 bucks and hour, dog walker, record store, tutor, etc...

You have plenty of options, you just have to be creative.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject:

As with any job search/interview...

Be professional... nice button down shirt, slackers/Dockers, and a nice pair of shoes (nothing crazy, something conservative) maybe a tie and jacket if you are interviewing for an office job.

Be neat.... meaning comb the hair, use lotion if you need it (act as if you were going to church or something), etc. Also, if you have visible ink, cover it up.

Be on-time, a matter of fact be earlier

Be gracious... remember at this point they are doing you the favor by meeting with you, so thank them for their time

Be straight forward and honest with your answers. And when speaking, look the person in the eyes (you won't believe how many people do not do this).

Be prepared... bring a resume (they may not ask for it, but if they do you have it), and practice answering questions you might be asked.

If you are proficient in MS Office, apply for a mail room position with a company or at a doctors/dentist office (you will be surprised how many people are not proficient in Office). My first job was at a Pizza Hut Delivery Store, I ran their computer system.

When filling out an application, if you have the opportunity, type it up instead of using a pen/pencil.

If none of that works out... and you have access to a decent lawn mower, mow lawns. I have a friend from high school that did that, he now runs his own landscaping business... he started out by mowing 5 of his neighbor’s lawns....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject:

DIDNT I JUST SAY LOOK AT THE ECONOMY CHAIN HOTELS!!!! THEY WILL HIRE YOUR ASS IN A HEARTBEAT CAS THE JOB IS BORING AND THE PAY SUCKS.....those desis will put your underage ass to work
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:

#1 thing is do not get discouraged. Easier said than done I know, but the bottom line is you have never had a job before. There is nothing that differentiates you from the countless other 16 year olds that have never had a job. You have no track record for any manager to decide to hire you. Getting your first job is always very very tough, so keep at it and you'll get there.

All the other advice here has been on point, so the one thing I'll add is to make sure you take advantage of any nepotism you can. Network like hell. If you have a friend of a friend of a friend who has a job somewhere, work that connection. If your pop knows a bunch of people who have kids who have jobs somewhere, you should be asking about that and seeing if you can't get a job through them.

The bottom line is that at a lot of the places you are looking at, those jobs will be filled by friends of people who already work there. Think about it from a manager's perspective. They are looking for cheap labor and one 16 year old looks just like another to them. No one has a resume where they've done anything that really qualifies them for the job. So if one of their current employees who does a decent job refers someone, that person has the in and it's very hard for you to compete with that. You need to be the guy someone is recommending.

Works that way throughout life too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: