Pokemon cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Pokemon cards

It's the holiday season. My nephew wants Pokemon cards. He's been collecting and playing for about a year. I am vaguely aware of the scene but to be honest my awareness began and ended with getting baked and watching the cartoon when it first came out.

I know there are a bunch of versions. I think he plays the latest one. He's into water types. I know that much. After that? Nothing.

Do i get him a bunch of packs of cards like I used to get with baseball cards? What version? Is there one pack that would be cooler than getting a box of normal cards? I'm not going to ask about a holy grail card because I know that would be way too much.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pokemon cards

Hector the Pup wrote:
It's the holiday season. My nephew wants Pokemon cards. He's been collecting and playing for about a year. I am vaguely aware of the scene but to be honest my awareness began and ended with getting baked and watching the cartoon when it first came out.

I know there are a bunch of versions. I think he plays the latest one. He's into water types. I know that much. After that? Nothing.

Do i get him a bunch of packs of cards like I used to get with baseball cards? What version? Is there one pack that would be cooler than getting a box of normal cards? I'm not going to ask about a holy grail card because I know that would be way too much.

Is he a tourney player?
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I haven't collected Pokemon cards since I was in grade school but I have seen sets for sale which include a lot more cards than booster packs and they usually include 1 or 2 special holographic cards so you know you're not going to get screwed over with 73 Pidgey and Energy cards. And if I remember correctly, they won't break the bank.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokemon cards

Hector the Pup wrote:

Whats your budget? The most economical option would be to buy a box of boosters.

See below for prices.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=pokemon+booster+box

If he wants a specific card try looking below however its usually not worth it.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/

The last thing you want to do is walk into a card shop and buy packs or single cards as you'll get most of the time get ripped off.

I'm a former Magic the gathering/Yugioh player that traded in cards worth hundreds to thousands of dollars and still play online tcgs to this day.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokemon cards

Hector the Pup wrote:

I used to buy for my nephew (he has outgrown now). Believe it or not, Target usually sells the latest editions in packs like baseball cards. They have a whole Pokemon section with all sorts of collectible extras. Amazon also sells various Pokemon t-shirts, which always seemed to go over well.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokemon cards

ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

I used to buy for my nephew (he has outgrown now). Believe it or not, Target usually sells the latest editions in packs like baseball cards. They have a whole Pokemon section with all sorts of collectible extras. Amazon also sells various Pokemon t-shirts, which always seemed to go over well.

Maybe a combo package? Couple card packs, a shirt, and maybe a fun item like this: Link

Give's him something to play with and construct, a cool keepsake he can remember and play with: something to stoke fond memories of yesteryear, when he could sit in his room and create cool toys.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Thanks.

One year for his birthday he requested a Pokemon birthday cake and gave me pictures of his 3 favorite characters which I hand reproduced in icing on his cake. Do not do this.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Strange to know Pokemon TCG is still being played. Just go to Target or Walmart. If not, give him a gift card and while buy him a booster pack of what you like.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Thanks.

One year for his birthday he requested a Pokemon birthday cake and gave me pictures of his 3 favorite characters which I hand reproduced in icing on his cake. Do not do this.

That is not anywhere near being an issue for me. Ever. I don't bake. If there was a steak Pokemon then I'm game but that's about it.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

As someone who started watching and playing Pokemon when he was 4... I'm honestly surprised young kids nowadays are still into it. That's some really impressive lasting value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: