imagine owning the Lakers. How would you fix this s*** show?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: imagine owning the Lakers. How would you fix this s*** show?

I put the onus of the blame on Magic and Pelinka (which I honestly feel like aren't getting enough of the blame right now) and send them packing ASAP. I'd seriously consider trading Lebron or at least bring in some upper management thatd reign in his crap, even if it's at the expense of AD. Beg Jerry West to come hither again and admit we f'ed up by turning him down.

I'd keep Luke (bc really, who else is there right now) and fire all his assistants, while replacing with experience.
sublimedominion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

1. Keep Magic and Pelinka but bring in Jerry West as a consultant and pay him whatever he wants.
2. Sign a defensive minded coach like Stackhouse, a Pop-trained coach in Messina, or if only we could get Budenholzer...he would be ideal right now.
3. Trade Ball/Hart to Phoenix for 3 first round picks unprotected and a cheap prospect.
4. Trade Lebron for a prospect All Star on a cheaper contract such as a Porzingis type.
5. Sign Kawhii and Durant.
6. Sign Vets on the minimum.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Fire Magic and Pelinka.

Try to bring back Jerry West as a Consultant. Pay him whatever he asks for.
Appoint Ryan West as GM, and Jesse Buss as Owner and President as well as keeping him on the scouting department. Put Joey Buss as president of Basketball Operations. Jeanie Buss demoted to Alternate Governor.

Give Luke Walton an ultimatum, to hire a better staff, and if he refuses to I will name the people in mind that are available that I'd like to see on his staff (people known for their X's and O's and formulating a good offense) and if he continues to refuse, he will be fired like Mark Jackson was and a new Coach will be hired, with that understanding in mind of what we expect of their staff.

Ime Udoka would be a part of the next coaching staff regardless.

I would explain to LeBron that our plan is to build around the young talent as well as him, that we will not gut the team just to bring another max and if youngsters play well they will get long term deals. If he has a problem with that I have no problem trading him if he'll give me a list of teams he wishes to go to.

Then if he gives me a list, I bring him into my office and show him just how much I'd be gutting the other team I send him to and he can try to contend there and see if he still wants me to trade him.

After that, try to promote an actual culture of hard work and getting rewarded for it, as opposed to being a shark or lessen their value because we're afraid to pay.

Call a Press Conference where I lay out what wasn't working, why it wasn't working, and why the team needed to go in a different direction. Actually embrace the direction the NBA is headed, and no longer trying to do the same things multiple times in different lipstick and not calling it a pig.

If Luke has accepted what he's been told about his staff, he'll remain our coach for the rest of the season. If he hasn't, he'll be swiftly fired, and I'd announce Brian Shaw will be finishing out the season as Lakers Coach, and he will be one of the first coaching candidates interviewed after the season for the full time role, along with many others that come to us for the job, and that we'll be reaching out to, which we won't reveal.

After that, the rest of the season can play out, and then we can go about free agency. But the most important thing is that all that first stuff is taken care of before we enter Free Agency.

No more mentality of "10 players on the roster on 1 year deals cause we're gonna get a max next season!" mentality.

Go about free agency with the understanding that being afraid of giving out multi-year deals for players of their value is counterproductive. Because that makes us a better team, if they play up to their standard it helps us win more games, if they do not, they can be moved to a better situation, but we can also benefit by coming out the other end of the trade with a solid player that fits us.

Now you don't hand out multi-years like candy. But if you have the choice between a KCP type-deal for a KCP kind of player, or a Lou Williams type-deal for a Lou Will kind of player, you take the Lou Williams type-deal for that kind of player, even if it means multi-year.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST, you seriously wrote all that in 20 mins of OP’s post? Impressive.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Clean house and bring back Logo and Mitch (sans Jim). You know it!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

1. If I owned the Lakers, the first thing I would do is sit back and say, "Damn, I'm worth 3 billion bucks."

2. I would hire Jerry West and say, "Figure it out and do what you want."

3. I'd go travel the world and check in in about six months to see how it was going.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1. If I owned the Lakers, the first thing I would do is sit back and say, "Damn, I'm worth 3 billion bucks."

2. I would hire Jerry West and say, "Figure it out and do what you want."

3. I'd go travel the world and check in in about six months to see how it was going.

I love the Jerry West Idea.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Fire Magic and Pelinka.

Try to bring back Jerry West as a Consultant. Pay him whatever he asks for.
Appoint Ryan West as GM, and Jesse Buss as Owner and President as well as keeping him on the scouting department. Put Joey Buss as president of Basketball Operations. Jeanie Buss demoted to Alternate Governor.

Give Luke Walton an ultimatum, to hire a better staff, and if he refuses to I will name the people in mind that are available that I'd like to see on his staff (people known for their X's and O's and formulating a good offense) and if he continues to refuse, he will be fired like Mark Jackson was and a new Coach will be hired, with that understanding in mind of what we expect of their staff.

Ime Udoka would be a part of the next coaching staff regardless.

I would explain to LeBron that our plan is to build around the young talent as well as him, that we will not gut the team just to bring another max and if youngsters play well they will get long term deals. If he has a problem with that I have no problem trading him if he'll give me a list of teams he wishes to go to.

Then if he gives me a list, I bring him into my office and show him just how much I'd be gutting the other team I send him to and he can try to contend there and see if he still wants me to trade him.

After that, try to promote an actual culture of hard work and getting rewarded for it, as opposed to being a shark or lessen their value because we're afraid to pay.

Call a Press Conference where I lay out what wasn't working, why it wasn't working, and why the team needed to go in a different direction. Actually embrace the direction the NBA is headed, and no longer trying to do the same things multiple times in different lipstick and not calling it a pig.

If Luke has accepted what he's been told about his staff, he'll remain our coach for the rest of the season. If he hasn't, he'll be swiftly fired, and I'd announce Brian Shaw will be finishing out the season as Lakers Coach, and he will be one of the first coaching candidates interviewed after the season for the full time role, along with many others that come to us for the job, and that we'll be reaching out to, which we won't reveal.

After that, the rest of the season can play out, and then we can go about free agency. But the most important thing is that all that first stuff is taken care of before we enter Free Agency.

No more mentality of "10 players on the roster on 1 year deals cause we're gonna get a max next season!" mentality.

Go about free agency with the understanding that being afraid of giving out multi-year deals for players of their value is counterproductive. Because that makes us a better team, if they play up to their standard it helps us win more games, if they do not, they can be moved to a better situation, but we can also benefit by coming out the other end of the trade with a solid player that fits us.

Now you don't hand out multi-years like candy. But if you have the choice between a KCP type-deal for a KCP kind of player, or a Lou Williams type-deal for a Lou Will kind of player, you take the Lou Williams type-deal for that kind of player, even if it means multi-year.

I actually really like your idea of who you'd appoint at the top, especially with Ryan West and Jesse Buss. And I am also impressed how quickly you were able to draft this plan.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Id sell the team and bounce
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

For now I'd rest LeBron and evaluate the young guys and see if they can the playoffs then figure it out in the off-season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

If we had Randle and Lopez we'd be looking way, way better. Our centers have been (bleep) terrible since McGee got pneumonia, we have no big man who can match up against bigs but also guard perimeter shots, and we stifle the effectiveness of our 2nd (?) highest volume playmaker in Ingram by removing a Stretch 5.

This isn't about forecasting how a young player like Russell turns out. Lopez and Randle were two of our best players last year and we let them go for absolutely (bleep) nothing. Those are just unforced errors.

Post AD drama our team is giving up 130 ppg. We lost out on Paul George for nothing. We stretched Deng and we might literally do nothing with that cap space.

And we rejected Jerry West.

I'm not saying every single thing is their fault or an inherently bad thing, but when you consider the only obviously good thing we've done recently is sign LeBron (assuming the scouts are responsible for Kuz/ Hart)... then it's hard for me to say that the cumulative sum of what Rob and Magic have done is much better than terrible.

Signing LeBron helps a lot but frankly that's only if you have an actual plan to build a contender, and dropping talent in Randle and BroLo for no reason does not get you closer to being a contender. And otherwise, frankly LeBron puts a timeline on a roster that's not ready to be on this timeline.

So yeah, frankly I'd give Rob and Magic until 2019 and see what they do with the cap space they've been promising to use since they dumped Mozgov via Russell. And if they don't do anything, bye bye -- it'd be clear they don't have a plan. I'd hire some Spurs guys and look for something similar to what Sean Marks has done in Brooklyn
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Clean house and bring back Logo and Mitch (sans Jim). You know it!

That's what should have happened to begin with. Fire Jim. Bring in West. Mitch was good enough at his job.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
If we had Randle and Lopez we'd be looking way, way better. Our centers have been (bleep) terrible since McGee got pneumonia, we have no big man who can match up against bigs but also guard perimeter shots, and we stifle the effectiveness of our 2nd (?) highest volume playmaker in Ingram by removing a Stretch 5.

This isn't about forecasting how a young player like Russell turns out. Lopez and Randle were two of our best players last year and we let them go for absolutely (bleep) nothing. Those are just unforced errors.

Post AD drama our team is giving up 130 ppg. We lost out on Paul George for nothing. We stretched Deng and we might literally do nothing with that cap space.

And we rejected Jerry West.

I'm not saying every single thing is their fault or an inherently bad thing, but when you consider the only obviously good thing we've done recently is sign LeBron (assuming the scouts are responsible for Kuz/ Hart)... then it's hard for me to say that the cumulative sum of what Rob and Magic have done is much better than terrible.

Signing LeBron helps a lot but frankly that's only if you have an actual plan to build a contender, and dropping talent in Randle and BroLo for no reason does not get you closer to being a contender. And otherwise, frankly LeBron puts a timeline on a roster that's not ready to be on this timeline.

So yeah, frankly I'd give Rob and Magic until 2019 and see what they do with the cap space they've been promising to use since they dumped Mozgov via Russell. And if they don't do anything, bye bye -- it'd be clear they don't have a plan. I'd hire some Spurs guys and look for something similar to what Sean Marks has done in Brooklyn

LBJ was pretty much coming regardless. I won't give them full credit for that. That is looking to be fool's gold anyways.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

1. Give Luke a job as special assistant to whatever and get him off that bench.
2. Bring back Phil Jackson. Let him co-coach with Michael Cooper.
3. Trade Lebron James for Anthony Davis
4. Sign KL.
5. Tell our young core you are here to stay, but you must play your hardest night in and night out
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

LBJ was pretty much coming regardless. I won't give them full credit for that. That is looking to be fool's gold anyways.

I don't know if LBJ would have come regardless and I don't want people litigating that aspect of my post. Even if he came because of Magic, they've still been failures so far so I'll just grand them that point.

I still don't think getting LeBron was a mistake, but I guess I had thought they would get a proper contending roster around him. But when you're punting $30M of salary annually it's hard to build a contender, especially one that is resilient to injuries that happen to all teams.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Pelinka don't have a clue on how to build a team.

They have sold their assets short and are trying for the quick fix.

It will not end well. They don't see like the types that will learn either.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

-Let Magic, Pelinka, & Luke go.

-Open those jobs up to the rest of the basketball world, paying top dollar to attract the best and brightest.

-Invest more in the infrastructural components of the organization. Analytics, training staff, player development, etc. Again, paying top dollar.

-Rely heavily on Jesse Buss.

-Barring some jaw-dropping run by him at the end of the season, I'd ask LeBron for a couple of preferred destinations and trade him to one of them. He's still great, but I don't think he's "alter the entire trajectory of the franchise" great anymore.

-Talk to Lonzo, Ingram, & Kuzma and let them know they're not being traded this summer.

-Do not punt cap space again. If you can't sign max guys, sign guys to reasonable long term deals.

-Adjust the expectations of the fans to let them know the intention is to build slow and build strong, which means there are no quick fixes and incremental progress from year to year. If max guys want to sign, great, but the Lakers world doesn't revolve around that anymore.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: imagine owning the Lakers. How would you fix this s*** show?

andrewc wrote:
I put the onus of the blame on Magic and Pelinka (which I honestly feel like aren't getting enough of the blame right now) and send them packing ASAP. I'd seriously consider trading Lebron or at least bring in some upper management thatd reign in his crap, even if it's at the expense of AD. Beg Jerry West to come hither again and admit we f'ed up by turning him down.

I'd keep Luke (bc really, who else is there right now) and fire all his assistants, while replacing with experience.

Wow. Totally opposite.

Fire Luke. Period. The team can be good. Magic/Pelinka might not have made the ideal moves but I understand their plan which is still do-able.

Luke is a disaster however. He needs to go. Sooner the better.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Now we are talking... some nice suggestions from many on this thread... MJST... Golden Throat...

Hopefully if the fanbase is woke... we can salvage the team before Klutch completely sh*ts the bed for us.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

1. I would buy everybody a suit.
2. I sell lakers to KLUTCH, so they can fulfill there dream of owning an nba team.
3. I would go live on PLUTO and see if Kobe ever shows up.

Last edited by #savethekids on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Get Utah’s coach. Trade for Beale
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I have been saying from the very start that the lakers fell apart from the day ariza was traded. No one believes that such a thing can be a sign of anything.

Good players never left the lakers when i was young but after jerry buss was really sick everything started to go south.
When ariza signed elsewhere I was really pissed off because that is the kind of role players that win championships. Whether you know it or not truth is no one bounced on the lakers. everybody wanted to be here but after jerry was no longer running things himself the rest of the league tore it up. I feel like people wanted to play for jerry more than the lakers.

From the moment jerry was gone its been one fkup after another. Jerry fkd up by not appointing the proper person to handle the lakers. Instead he cut up the pieces of his empire somewhat equally from my understanding.

It was a mistake to leaving nut job Jim in charge of FO. And his sister backing him up. Rich kids make bad CEOs. Then there is the magic angle/ ego and the rob agent turned gm and the rich pauls and the lebrons...

everybody is pushing their own agenda in the most popular destination in the country with no clean person in charge. no one can call rank and restore order to this is chaos till something breaks or we become the ny knicks.

randle was an amazing player. I like him more for his hustle than his game. I don't understand why you would just allow randle to leave after he was the only one out there always hungry. You give your hungry employees more responsibility not the side dish garbage like deng.
so was ariza. he was a laker. he had 8 more good years at that point. Artest had 2. And ariza was a laker.
deng and mosgov were not worth like 180mil or something.
treating and throwing away dlo like trash for doing 1 stupid thing at 20?
not getting the logo back AMAZING.

I used to watch every game. i dont anymore.

no real laker fan should eat this garbage. every laker decision is now utter (bleep). Every single one. only the young buss is drafting well.

The rest need to go. Especially lebron. we are better off without him I dont trust him honestly. At this point I am not sure he even cares about which team his is on. only himself.

blow it up and lets get zion. f everybody else

Last edited by OdomGrab on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Hire a real coach. Someone who is hungry and has paid his dues. Not a color commentator or a guy with zero resume or a name. (Fat chance)

Hire a real GM and not a guy whose business talent has had nothing to do with running a sports team

Sign Vucevic. 20/12/4 this year btw.

Trade Ingram, lottery pick, Hart, and roster filled for Beal next season.

Lechoke-Kuzma-Vucevic-Beal-Ball with a real coach and GM could do damage.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
chantruong wrote:

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: