RIP payless shoe stores
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: RIP payless shoe stores

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/business/payless-closing-stores-bankrupt/index.html
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

not sure what their quality was like in recent decades....but if it was like it was when I was a kid, this is a win for feet everywhere.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

oh man, this is where I get Shaq's dunkman shoes over the years
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

That’s 2100 stores in the US, with all the retail workers from each store, plus management, Etc. Manufacturing was the first domino to fall in the automation/ai/internet revolution. Retail, trucking/drivers, contact center workers and clerical workers are next. Followed by professional jobs, lawyers, doctors, etc.

I also posted about this in the political thread, but McKinsey projects 1/3 of American jobs will be eliminated because of these forces in the next 11 years. I know it doesn’t seem like much as we see these things slowly happen around us, but pay attention because this is a bigger deal than it seems.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

surprised they lasted so long. Their reputation was trashed as a place you would be made fun of if you got your shoes from back when I was a kid.
And now as budget shoe shopper for my kids (refuse to pay big bucks on shoes for kids who will trash them, lose them, or just quickly grow out of them) they did not have a competitive bang for buck on what they offered.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Internet based retail will eventually wipe out most brick and mortar stores except for grocery stores, home improvement stores and car shopping.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Internet based retail will eventually wipe out most brick and mortar stores except for grocery stores, home improvement stores and car shopping.

Even those, amazon owns whole foods, walmarts going online hard and carvana
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I don't think grocery stores will ever go away, sure you can buy prepackaged foods online, but most people like to pick their seafood, meats and produce in store.
As far as car dealerships goes, those will never go away at least in the US, the local governments and states will make sure the current system is in place....they will have their hand in the cookie jar even in the internet age.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

I get my shoes at either Kohl's or Shoe Carnival.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Good, their shoes sucked
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I don't think grocery stores will ever go away, sure you can buy prepackaged foods online, but most people like to pick their seafood, meats and produce in store.
As far as car dealerships goes, those will never go away at least in the US, the local governments and states will make sure the current system is in place....they will have their hand in the cookie jar even in the internet age.

I would not be so sure about that. Millenials hate going into car dealerships at nearly double the rate of Baby Boomers and when asked about newer car buying alternatives, 54% said they would “love” being able to sell or buy a car from home and 42% were fine buying a car without a test drive.

Tesla has successfully layed down the blueprint for how manufacturers can circumnavigate State mandatory dealer laws, and the public has responded overwhelming to their distribution model which lacks a dealership network. Each year more people choose to use a broker to purchase foreign cars directly from the manufacturer just so they can avoid the US dealership all together, as 87% of Americans report not liking to deal with car dealers.

Consumer Car Purchasing Patterns
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I would not be so sure about that. Millenials hate going into car dealerships at nearly double the rate of Baby Boomers and when asked about newer car buying alternatives, 54% said they would “love” being able to sell or buy a car from home and 42% were fine buying a car without a test drive.

Tesla has successfully layed down the blueprint for how manufacturers can circumnavigate State mandatory dealer laws, and the public has responded overwhelming to their distribution model which lacks a dealership network. Each year more people choose to use a broker to purchase foreign cars directly from the manufacturer just so they can avoid the US dealership all together, as 87% of Americans report not liking to deal with car dealers.

Consumer Car Purchasing Patterns

Younger generations won't even want to own a vehicle because there will be no need to. So, dealerships will indeed go away too. They'll just be holding lots where autonomous Uber and Lyft fleets wait to be requested.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

I remember as a poor little kid in the very early 90s going there. My mom buying me 11 dollar sneakers with Velcro straps. Worst though was being stuck there bored out of my mind while mom shopped.

I’d rank it the 3rd most boring store after:

1. Baby clothing stores
2. Fabric stores

With Quincinera dress shops as a possible tie for 3rd.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
I remember as a poor little kid in the very early 90s going there. My mom buying me 11 dollar sneakers with Velcro straps. Worst though was being stuck there bored out of my mind while mom shopped.

1. Baby clothing stores
2. Fabric stores

I feel you on multiple levels with this post.....I was a little younger with my memories of Payless, but there was not much to do.....measure your foot on those metal things, and I can recall me and my cousins using the things you set on and then have a slant on one side for makeshift slides.....especially if you could find one with the rubber removed (or it was easy to remove ).

Another boring one for me was medical uniform shops. My mom went to Nursing school when I was a kid, and when she graduated we were always visiting uniform shops. There was nothing in those joints to entertain a 7 year old boy. In regards to my dad, it was waiting at a garage/tire shop....just setting in that little waiting room in the middle of the day with a fuzzy soap opera on the tv. I honestly think tire shop waiting rooms was a primary reason Gameboys and other hand held games got popular.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

1. Baby clothing stores
2. Fabric stores

lol!!!

My first experience with Payless was in '89 when I asked for some reebok pumps. My mom went to Payless and got me this pair of sneakers with a large, puffy basketball embroidered onto the tongue and told me that it was a better version of the pumps. The basketball was beefy and springy enough that I believed it for a couple of weeks.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
That’s 2100 stores in the US, with all the retail workers from each store, plus management, Etc. Manufacturing was the first domino to fall in the automation/ai/internet revolution. Retail, trucking/drivers, contact center workers and clerical workers are next. Followed by professional jobs, lawyers, doctors, etc.

I also posted about this in the political thread, but McKinsey projects 1/3 of American jobs will be eliminated because of these forces in the next 11 years. I know it doesn’t seem like much as we see these things slowly happen around us, but pay attention because this is a bigger deal than it seems.

Brave New World
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

1. Baby clothing stores
2. Fabric stores

that was me too. for such a small shoe store my mom seemed to spend an eternity in that store while Im a combination of being beyond bored and terrified with anxiety that she might force me to get shoes from there
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject:

It's the beginning of FEMA Death camps

They will use the soon to be empty Sears and these shoe stores for processing centers and lockup
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

lol!!!

My first experience with Payless was in '89 when I asked for some reebok pumps. My mom went to Payless and got me this pair of sneakers with a large, puffy basketball embroidered onto the tongue and told me that it was a better version of the pumps. The basketball was beefy and springy enough that I believed it for a couple of weeks.

Was it the LA Gear Regulator?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

lol!!!

or was it these bad boys?

Pump Knockoffs

if you had wanted Jordan's, you may have ended up the the Pony Knockoff..

Pony Jordan Knockoffs
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

lol!!!

nope! there was no inflation funcionality whatsoever. Plus I think LA Gear was too "big" for Payless at that time.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Plus I think LA Gear was too "big" for Payless at that time.

yeah, LA Gear was legit name brand shoes around that time....like British Knights and Brooks.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

People got beat up for wearing LA gear. They were the Clippers/WCW/ghostbusters with the gorilla/mexican grocery store knock off otterpops, of shoes.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

lol!!!

nope! there was no inflation funcionality whatsoever. Plus I think LA Gear was too "big" for Payless at that time.

Assasins?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

lol!!!

Assasins?

no, I'm 90% sure they were Pro Wings
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: