Hypothetically could we ever trade LeBron?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Hypothetically could we ever trade LeBron?

Know there's a big LeBron thread but I've seen this discussed in the free agency thread as well so feel free to move if you feel its more appropriate this gets discussed elsewhere.

Anyhow, could we ever trade LeBron without making it disrespectful or having our image tarnished in the eyes of free agents in the future?

On one hand, LeBron is the legend of the game, we are lucky to have signed him and theres a way you treat a legend.
On the other hand, he is not our legend and do we owe him anything? I mean we took care of Kobe. Speaking of our legends, we traded Shaq. Sure those were different times though but Shaq was our legend.
So lets say hypothetically this doesnt work out, we're like 3 years in, we want to move in a different direction...would it be disrespectful or not?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

the grass will always be greener...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

We will see in the offseason if FAs sign with the Clippers or not after trading Griffin.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Even considering trading him would do irreparable damage to Magic, Rob and the organization.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

no.....it is a small list....very small...but there are just a few guys in the league that a team cannot trade without the player requesting. Most of it is team based, Lebron is more about the way he came to a Laker team after years of losing. He may be the only guy in the league that can't be traded for that reason.

No Trade List -

Lebron
Steph - Warriors
Harden - Rockets
Giannis - Bucks

that kind of feels like the whole list....Portland would have a very hard time trading Lillard if he did not request.....and Philly with Embiid.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Nope. Unless he demands it.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

It is absurd this gets mentioned. 29 other teams in the league would be happy to have him. The team plotted for years to be able to get him. Now we have buyer's remorse because the FO made the wrong moves in the process of acquiring him and after acquiring him? We have buyer's remorse building around a 34 year old player who got hurt as if that wasn't going to be part of the package? Buyer's remorse because his buddy tried to twist the arm of another team into trading us one of his other unhappy clients and the FO was unable to close the deal without causing a lot of collateral damage?

We have no evidence that FO could build a team without a ready made superstar. They seem to undervalue the talent that they do have and/or unable to identify that they even have talent and it isn't clear that our coach could even coach a team to the playoffs without a top star. So they require the margin of error a star gives them to build a less than ideal team. So what is the option here? Even if they were magically able to trade Lebron for some other top star--lets say they could get Giannis for him--wouldn't we be left with the same questionable team building around the next star? Like surrounding Giannis with a bunch of slashers and a lumbering, paint dwelling center? Do we think that somehow the FO would realize the modern game requires spacing and shooters and defense?

Unless and until Magic and Pelinka learn from their errors and demonstrate a better understanding of all aspects of their job, trading Lebron, or anyone else, isn't going to fix the problems. Literally the only thing that can save them now is signing like KD or KL without trading away all the young players, and maybe that team will win. Maybe. But just swapping Lebron with another star is not a fix.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

We get the best player in the game and people want to trade him because our OTHER players cannot carry their weight.

What is wrong with LG?
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

We get the best player in the game and people want to trade him because our OTHER players cannot carry their weight.

What is wrong with LG?
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:

What is wrong with LG?

Yeah, he’s only averaging almost a triple double, if we don’t win all the games it’s his fault lol.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

If he’s the best player in the game he’s is 100% not recovered from the groin injury or is super preoccupied with off court commitments.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

If you hold a position respectfully but firmly, chances are he will ask for a trade.

That's how I would do it. No circus... just stick to whatever moves you feel will coincide with the team's interests. If they happen to match up with LBJ's interests... great. If they don't... I wouldn't be held hostage by his needs anymore. There is a point when a player is so great that you'd bend over backwards to accommodate him... however, I think that time has passed.

I'd guess management would be petrified to move on from LBJ... but if I can't land the second agent with him on the team... I'd try to move in that direction.

At any rate... I will try to remain positive and hope we do have that second agent in our sights... but if LBJ's causing the problem... I might try to find a way to move him so I could get two who want to play together.

It will be very hard to swallow if Kawhi teams up with another elite on the Clippers.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Lebron for AD straight up makes sense for both teams, arguably.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LeBron isn’t going anywhere, he already said a few days ago he wants to retire a Laker...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Good luck getting any free agents to come.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Good luck getting any free agents to come.

Kawhi might (I hope I'm wrong and he comes anyways)
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Clippers traded Blake Griffin and they are the consensus #1 or #2 to land Kawhi.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:

What is wrong with LG?

not everyone believes that he is the best player in the game, and that doesn't make them morons.
when team lebron went on their 30-0 or whatever run yesterday, giannis was on the bench...which makes sense. But lebron was on the bench also, lol.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypothetically could we ever trade LeBron?

LakersNewEra wrote:
Know there's a big LeBron thread but I've seen this discussed in the free agency thread as well so feel free to move if you feel its more appropriate this gets discussed elsewhere.

Anyhow, could we ever trade LeBron without making it disrespectful or having our image tarnished in the eyes of free agents in the future?

On one hand, LeBron is the legend of the game, we are lucky to have signed him and theres a way you treat a legend.
On the other hand, he is not our legend and do we owe him anything? I mean we took care of Kobe. Speaking of our legends, we traded Shaq. Sure those were different times though but Shaq was our legend.
So lets say hypothetically this doesnt work out, we're like 3 years in, we want to move in a different direction...would it be disrespectful or not?

Why do you worry about 3 yrs from now and whether it works out or not?

It’s such a silly question and no one knows.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

What is wrong with LG?

not everyone believes that he is the best player in the game, and that doesn't make them morons.
when team lebron went on their 30-0 or whatever run yesterday, giannis was on the bench...which makes sense. But lebron was on the bench also, lol.

Never insinuated anyone was a moron. Just that nothing is ever good enough.

You can argue that he isn’t the best player, but it would not be a wise argument to claim that he is not a top 5 player. Getting Lebron is much better than anything we have done in the past 5 years.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I see LBJ doing one last run in CLeveland
Probably after this current Laker deal
He would be 38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Clippers traded Blake Griffin and they are the consensus #1 or #2 to land Kawhi.

I don't know why this is the consensus. Who do the Clippers even have? Gallo? Kawhi is going to pass up the chance to play with LeBron to play with Gallinari? Really?

If Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball had done their jobs against the Knicks and Cavs and closed out the Kings, we'd be the 8th seed and wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Y'all are being ridiculous talking about trading LeBron.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I see LBJ doing one last run in CLeveland
Probably after this current Laker deal
He would be 38

At this point I think he would only move on to another team if his son was playing on it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I don't know why this is the consensus. Who do the Clippers even have? Gallo? Kawhi is going to pass up the chance to play with LeBron to play with Gallinari? Really?

If Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball had done their jobs against the Knicks and Cavs and closed out the Kings, we'd be the 8th seed and wouldn't be having this discussion right now. Y'all are being ridiculous talking about trading LeBron.

I think West has a plan to pair Kawhi with Durant or another 2nd max player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: