the '1 and Done' rule needs to end

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: the '1 and Done' rule needs to end

..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until I'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go LAKERS!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Go to the NFL rule, you can be drafted 3 years after your graduating high school class.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

I'd like to do away with the rule but not for the reasons you stated. I think its dumb to make an athlete who has zero intentions of ever getting his degree to do one year in college. That roster spot would be better off going to somebody who intends to go to school and actually finish their degree.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I'd like to do away with the rule but not for the reasons you stated. I think its dumb to make an athlete who has zero intentions of ever getting his degree to do one year in college. That roster spot would be better off going to somebody who intends to go to school and actually finish their degree.

Zion Williamson is going to make Duke millions of dollars this year, which the guy who intends to go to school and actually finish his degree isn't going to do, even over the course of four years. The one and done rule serves schools like Duke very well.

NBA owners like it because it reduces risk, colleges like it because they still get to capitalize on having the biggest stars (there's always a new crop of one & dones) and the NBA Players Union is okay with using it as a bargaining chip because it doesn't effect current NBA players. So the one and dones are exploited and under-compensated as a result.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Go to the NFL rule, you can be drafted 3 years after your graduating high school class.

Why?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Zion Williamson is going to make Duke millions of dollars this year, which the guy who intends to go to school and actually finish his degree isn't going to do, even over the course of four years. The one and done rule serves schools like Duke very well.

NBA owners like it because it reduces risk, colleges like it because they still get to capitalize on having the biggest stars (there's always a new crop of one & dones) and the NBA Players Union is okay with using it as a bargaining chip because it doesn't effect current NBA players. So the one and dones are exploited and under-compensated as a result.

How many classes do you think he's actually taken? This one and done rule is complete garbage. These guys are nothing but mascots for the university until they are eligible to be drafted. What the NBA needs to do is setup a real stepping stone league to the NBA and end this stupid one and done charade.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Most universities have re-enrollment options if the student leaves in good standing. That university foothold can be valuable even for the best NBA players - usually for personal enrichment, but possibly for second careers - let alone one-and-done guys who may bust like Markelle Fultz (though I hope he turns it around).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why?

So we can draft players that are ready to play
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

How many classes do you think he's actually taken? This one and done rule is complete garbage. These guys are nothing but mascots for the university until they are eligible to be drafted. What the NBA needs to do is setup a real stepping stone league to the NBA and end this stupid one and done charade.

The players are required to play in college, they do that by choice. But turning the G league into a real minor league would be a great idea.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why?

So we can draft players that are ready to play

Should NFL player allow players that are ready to play but hasn't been 3 years post HS graduation?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bleacher Report

Verified account

@BleacherReport
Follow Follow @BleacherReport
More
NBA officially proposes lowering draft age from 19 to 18, per Jeff Zillgitt

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1098708480301555712

It's happening!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

College athletics have always been a hypocritical scam that use players who have the ability to turn pro.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Arian Foster had thousands of people chanting his name in college as he dominated games.
Then he'd go home to an empty fridge. His coaches would buy him fast food tacos. But he had to keep it under wraps because it was an NCAA violation.

So no. I don't think going the NFL route is ideal.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

This is good long-term, but I hope the G-League is ready for the influx of next Taj McDavids.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

Silver: ‘the NCAA community don’t want the one and done player anymore so the time is right’

It was never about NBA ‘ready to play’ or to protect the ‘league’, it was always about NCAA
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Silver: ‘the NCAA community don’t want the one and done player anymore so the time is right’

It was never about NBA ‘ready to play’ or to protect the ‘league’, it was always about NCAA

The NCAA is a racket which exploits college athletes. Ridiculous that they don't get a percentage of what they bring in.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Idiotic thread title

Rules don't have needs.

People have needs. Organizations have needs.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

This is great for the Elite players, but bad for the NBA unless they fix rookie status.

Can you imagine having to decide on up to a max level contract for BI 24 regular season games from now?

Extend 'Zo this summer?

They're way to young and still on the "just realizing their potential" part of their careers. The NBA needs to find a way to use the G league like the Baseball AAA clubs. 2 way contracts @ full Rookie scale for the first year or two?

I know, everyone says "just don't draft 'em that young" but over the last 40 years, how many NBA Champions didn't draft one of their top 2 players?
3-ish (Pistons / Celtics / maybe Philly)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Arian Foster had thousands of people chanting his name in college as he dominated games.
Then he'd go home to an empty fridge. His coaches would buy him fast food tacos. But he had to keep it under wraps because it was an NCAA violation.

So no. I don't think going the NFL route is ideal.

He picked a bad college since even most JCs have dining halls for their student athletes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

I'd go with the rule that you can be drafted by an NBA team and still go back to play in College if you so choose.

ie: You can enter the draft in 2015 get Drafted by the Lakers
go back to college if you want and will play for the Lakers when you decide to enter the NBA.

International Players get to do that, NCAA Players should as well, at least as an option.

I doubt that ever happens though.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
This is great for the Elite players, but bad for the NBA unless they fix rookie status.

Can you imagine having to decide on up to a max level contract for BI 24 regular season games from now?

Extend 'Zo this summer?

They're way to young and still on the "just realizing their potential" part of their careers. The NBA needs to find a way to use the G league like the Baseball AAA clubs. 2 way contracts @ full Rookie scale for the first year or two?

I know, everyone says "just don't draft 'em that young" but over the last 40 years, how many NBA Champions didn't draft one of their top 2 players?
3-ish (Pistons / Celtics / maybe Philly)

Isn't that just one of the functions of a well managed franchise? It's up to each GM and scouting team to decide who to invest in. When there wasn't an age limit, we saw many bad decisions being made on draft night because everyone wanted to get in on the young talent (Kwame, Darius Miles, Jonathan Bender...). Franchises should not be protected against making bad decisions though.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject:

I think NBA players should go to college for at least one year. Not only would it help them learn how to play the game at a high level, it would also help them develop physically, mentally and emotionally. Just one year of college away from mom and dad can make a HUGE difference in your overall development.

Rookies talk about how hard it is to adjust to NBA ball after playing in college, well the contrast is much more stark if you jump straight from high school.

For those who want to point to the OP's example of a 14 year old software developer not needing to go to MIT if a company will pay him millions of dollars right now, I have just two words: Kwame Brown. For every Kobe there are tons of Kwame Browns.

I do agree with the OP that college athletes who generate any kind of real revenue should get a cut of it. If they don't it's just exploitation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: