The Sam Hinkie Way to Finish the Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like this plan
Yes
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 25 ]
Maybe
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 35

bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: The Sam Hinkie Way to Finish the Season

Just a fun idea I was thinking about. Honestly, what's the point of making the playoffs at this point? I see 2 reasons.

1) Get the young kids playoff experience.

2) Protect the team's and LeBron's reputation and signal to other teams we're serious about winning.

The first is complicated by the fact that the kids have checked out thanks to the trade rumors. Furthermore, I would argue developing the kids talent is more important than artificial playoff experience. But it's clear we cannot be *WIN NOW* with LeBron on the team and at the same time be in player development mode for Brandon Ingram and co. We have to pick one, and by signing LeBron that choice has already been made.

The team and LeBron's reputation isn't that great at this point. Most teams know we're serious about winning thanks to how public the latest FA and trade rumors have been, so this point isn't a concern.

So now that we've agreed we're in *WIN NOW* mode while LeBron is on the team, what's the best way to do that. 2/3 of Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma are not going to be all-stars in the next 2 years, and at that point LeBron has a player option which he will likely decline to become an FA at age 37. So in order to win now, we need to maximize the talent we can acquire with our current assets, and make good use of our cap space. In order words, trade for a star/good player, and sign a star in FA this summer.

I won't go into signing a star since there's not much we can do. We know Magic will tamper to the extent we can, and whether KD, Leonard, Irving, or Klay is interested in coming here has more to do with themselves and their current situations on their teams rather than LA. Since we are not going to be knocking out the Warriors, Raptors, or Celtics in the playoffs, this is out of our control.

To maximize our ability to trade for a star/good player, we need MORE assets. Now the only major variable in our asset pool right now is our first round pick, which we own this year. I am aware we cannot trade it, but we can agree to a trade in principle and pick the player the other team wants ahead of time, a la Hornets and Kobe in '96. Thus, our ability to *WIN NOW* is solely based on the value of our draft pick this summer, so we should maximize this.

Therefore, with all the Sam Hinkie I can muster, I propose the following plan:

1. Sign 'Melo

2. Fire Walton (optional)

3. Rest LeBron for the rest of the season, and let him recover from the current injury (he's clearly not 100%).

4. Let Melo chuck away to sell tickets and let kids shoot as much as they want to display their current talent level.

5. Go 0-25 to finish the season.

6. Get a high draft pick.

7. Trade draft pick plus kids for AD in the summer. If the pick is good we may even be able to keep one of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma.

8. Sign good FA

9. Profit $$$

Even if the plan fails, getting a good pick allows us to one more potential all star player we can put on this team as we develop our young talent for the long term.

Again, this is just for fun. It's more me trying to think about the best way to maximize our ability to win championships while LeBron is here.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

too many people thinking this is all a video game...
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely not. Getting to the playoffs, even a first round exit is beneficial to the development of our young guys. This is the mindset of a losing franchise who tank at the first sight of things going wrong. Lakers can't afford to keep this losing mentality going or they are no better than the Clippers at this point.
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Vince Lombardi's quote is appropriate here:

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

We are tanking to give NO even more than we already offered? Lame. Moveon.org
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Rather be the 8th seed (plus show what we really are by finishing 17-8) and get that 16/17th pick than miss out on the playoffs to get the 11th/12th pick...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

this would be what any smart team would do (Spurs-Duncan). And playoff experience for the youth doesnt mean anything if we are trying to angle for an AD trade anyway.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Our win now ability is based on the value of our draft pick

If there's anything the past 5 years have taught me is we can't develop talent for (bleep) so I'm definitely not going to rely on our draft pick to save us

I'll take making the playoffs and LBJ putting everyone on his back than missing the playoffs
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
...playoff experience for the youth doesnt mean anything...

Jayson Tatum says, "Hi."
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

tony wrote:
Our win now ability is based on the value of our draft pick

If there's anything the past 5 years have taught me is we can't develop talent for (bleep) so I'm definitely not going to rely on our draft pick to save us

I'll take making the playoffs and LBJ putting everyone on his back than missing the playoffs

Our draft pick is a trade asset. We don't have to develop jack (bleep). In fact our inability to develop talent should push us to trade the assets we have now before they depreciate further in value.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) tanking
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sam Hinkie Way to Finish the Season

bfc1125roy wrote:
Just a fun idea I was thinking about. Honestly, what's the point of making the playoffs at this point? I see 2 reasons.

1) Get the young kids playoff experience.

2) Protect the team's and LeBron's reputation and signal to other teams we're serious about winning.

The first is complicated by the fact that the kids have checked out thanks to the trade rumors. Furthermore, I would argue developing the kids talent is more important than artificial playoff experience. But it's clear we cannot be *WIN NOW* with LeBron on the team and at the same time be in player development mode for Brandon Ingram and co. We have to pick one, and by signing LeBron that choice has already been made.

The team and LeBron's reputation isn't that great at this point. Most teams know we're serious about winning thanks to how public the latest FA and trade rumors have been, so this point isn't a concern.

So now that we've agreed we're in *WIN NOW* mode while LeBron is on the team, what's the best way to do that. 2/3 of Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma are not going to be all-stars in the next 2 years, and at that point LeBron has a player option which he will likely decline to become an FA at age 37. So in order to win now, we need to maximize the talent we can acquire with our current assets, and make good use of our cap space. In order words, trade for a star/good player, and sign a star in FA this summer.

I won't go into signing a star since there's not much we can do. We know Magic will tamper to the extent we can, and whether KD, Leonard, Irving, or Klay is interested in coming here has more to do with themselves and their current situations on their teams rather than LA. Since we are not going to be knocking out the Warriors, Raptors, or Celtics in the playoffs, this is out of our control.

To maximize our ability to trade for a star/good player, we need MORE assets. Now the only major variable in our asset pool right now is our first round pick, which we own this year. I am aware we cannot trade it, but we can agree to a trade in principle and pick the player the other team wants ahead of time, a la Hornets and Kobe in '96. Thus, our ability to *WIN NOW* is solely based on the value of our draft pick this summer, so we should maximize this.

Therefore, with all the Sam Hinkie I can muster, I propose the following plan:

1. Sign 'Melo

2. Fire Walton (optional)

3. Rest LeBron for the rest of the season, and let him recover from the current injury (he's clearly not 100%).

4. Let Melo chuck away to sell tickets and let kids shoot as much as they want to display their current talent level.

5. Go 0-25 to finish the season.

6. Get a high draft pick.

7. Trade draft pick plus kids for AD in the summer. If the pick is good we may even be able to keep one of Ingram/Ball/Kuzma.

8. Sign good FA

9. Profit $$$

Even if the plan fails, getting a good pick allows us to one more potential all star player we can put on this team as we develop our young talent for the long term.

Again, this is just for fun. It's more me trying to think about the best way to maximize our ability to win championships while LeBron is here.

I want back the 20 seconds I gave to reading this post.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Absolutely not. Getting to the playoffs, even a first round exit is beneficial to the development of our young guys. This is the mindset of a losing franchise who tank at the first sight of things going wrong. Lakers can't afford to keep this losing mentality going or they are no better than the Clippers at this point.

Losing is contagious. Have to get these kids and the franchise back into the winning mindset. Playoff experience is way more important to the future of our team than getting the 9th pick in the draft.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Tanking the rest of the season hurts the value of our current assets more than it helps our draft position.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

I like winning
I want playoffs
Everything else is a fail
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Go 100% all out for the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
...playoff experience for the youth doesnt mean anything...

Jayson Tatum says, "Hi."

Idk why everyone around here is suddenly dumping on him ?

Hes still done more than Brandon Ingram has done in less time, he’s still better than BI and any of our young guys, he’s still a 38%3pt shooter and 86% from the line... name one of our players who’s as effecient... he’s 20.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Tanking the rest of the season hurts the value of our current assets more than it helps our draft position.

Not if we let the young guys control the ball and play as much as they want, showcasing them more.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Not if we let the young guys control the ball and play as much as they want, showcasing them more.

Stats don't help value very much if you are losing a ton of games.
If we lose a ton of games, people will focus on the flaws each of our young players have.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Stats don't help value very much if you are losing a ton of games.
If we lose a ton of games, people will focus on the flaws each of our young players have.

Fair point, but I think we've lost enough games for people to be aware of our young players' flaws (was evident during the AD deadline saga). At this point I think getting a higher pick is more important so we can outbid Boston (especially if they lose Irving and Sacramento's pick this year).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

They were right. Losing does breed more losing.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

We've been trash for the past 6 seasons, how can some of you guys want more of the same?

No thanks. Make the playoffs, get swept by the warriors. I'm fine with that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with this way of thinking in a vacuum, but there's no way they go 0-25. The Lakers need to hit the 8th worst record where a likely tanking NOP resides with four more losses than LAL. I just think it's much more likely the Lakers remain somewhere around 10-14 in the standings given their roster and the tanking incentives of the teams ahead of them that it's more worthwhile to chase the Clippers than the Suns this late in the season as a roughly .500 team.

tl;dr: the Lakers are more likely to catch the Clippers in the playoffs than the Pelicans in the tanking race, imo.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sam Hinkie Way to Finish the Season

activeverb wrote:
I want back the 20 seconds I gave to reading this post.

I gave up after about 10 seconds. I just came back to find out whether someone else managed to make sense of it. I was counting on you, AV.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

We give away our young talent though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: