Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely loved it! I feel so lucky because I had extremely low expectations based on the few reviews I read. It completely exceeded my expectations.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I absolutely loved it! I feel so lucky because I had extremely low expectations based on the few reviews I read. It completely exceeded my expectations.

Same. Loved the opening scenes. Thought it was the best of the new trilogy. Poe and Finn ultimately were useless characters. Didnt care about their background and they brought nothing of value to the plot. Finn essentially ran through 3 movies yelling "Rey". Like, dude, she can take care of herself.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I liked it quite a bit. Not to the level of the OT, but it was my favorite of the recent films.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

The only thing i could think is that after all these movies Palpatine won.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I liked it quite a bit. Not to the level of the OT, but it was my favorite of the recent films.
agreed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Needed Anakin.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Saw it in 4DX or whatever so the seats were like a roller coaster and they sprayed water and smells in the air.

I want to give it an 8. But I gotta give it a 7.5 because the dialogue could’ve been in a foreign language I don’t understand and it wouldn’t have changed the viewing experience for me at all.
If the action and score wasn’t so pleasing I’d give it a lower score.
They could’ve turned this trilogy into 2 movies, removing the 2nd film, trimming the first film a little and adding a 1/3 of this one into it. And it would’ve worked better.

The plot was jam packed in this one.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject:

mykolbeta wrote:
5 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 9 > 7 > 2 > 8

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
The only thing i could think is that after all these movies Palpatine won.

SPOILERS

How? His hubris once again stopped him from accomplishing his goal. He thought he could move everyone like chess pieces - something that for the most part he was right about - but Anakin, Luke, Ben, and Rey all were able to resist his influence at one point or another. The Skywalkers beat Palpatine in the end. The empire/first order should be defeated for good. And now all generations of the sith have been defeated/erased.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Don’t always agree with the fellas over at The Watch but I thought they did a pretty comprehensive overview of why this movie was a total mess:

LINK
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Don’t always agree with the fellas over at The Watch but I thought they did a pretty comprehensive overview of why this movie was a total mess:

LINK

Haven't listened yet but currently listening to the other Star Wars/Ringer podcast, The Big Picture with Sean Fennessey and guest Mallory Rubin. They seem to feel the same way.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

It was entertaining enough, just like the previous two. I consider the last three the same damn movie. If someone switched some of the action sequences and dialogue, I bet many people wouldn't even notice. Maybe it's because I'm no longer emotionally invested in it and the premise is so childish, I don't see what people expect. For all the convoluted nonsense to make sense? Meh.

I saw it in a mostly empty theater on the opening weekend. That wasn't the case with the previous two movies.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It was entertaining enough, just like the previous two. I consider the last three the same damn movie. If someone switched some of the action sequences and dialogue, I bet many people wouldn't even notice. Maybe it's because I'm no longer emotionally invested in it and the premise is so childish, I don't see what people expect. For all the convoluted nonsense to make sense? Meh.

I saw it in a mostly empty theater on the opening weekend. That wasn't the case with the previous two movies.

Seeing it in a packed house may make a difference. In my theater, the audience actually applauded when spoiler happened.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
With a $175.5 million three-day debut, Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delivered the third largest December opening of all-time. While the performance tops the studio's conservative, $165 million opening, many, including BoxOfficeMojo, expected the film to top $200 million for the weekend and the slide to $175.5 million is a bit below where expectations were just yesterday, when it appeared the film would open anywhere from $190-195 million after Friday estimates. The slide began following the film's opening day, which was pretty much on par with recent Star Wars releases, which saw preview grosses making up 44% of the film's opening day. However, it is the only Star Wars release of the five released by Disney thus far, to see the Friday gross make up over 50% of the film's total opening weekend, which brings into question what kind of impact word of mouth will have on the film's final gross.

While The Force Awakens and Rogue One saw multiples that came in at 3.78x and 3.43x respectively, The Last Jedi and Solo could only muster multiples finishing at 2.82x and 2.53x respectively. That said, the four previous Star Wars releases saw multiples averaging 3.14x, which would give The Rise of Skywalker a $551 million domestic run, which is hardly a small number, but it does show a downward trend for the brand following the massive performance for The Force Awakens in 2015. Of this weekend's audience, 59% were male and 64% of the crowd was aged 25 or older, all of which pretty much lines up with the last four Star Wars releases, though the film's "B+" CinemaScore is the first Star Wars film outside of 2008's animated Clone Wars to receive a CinemaScore outside the "A" range.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I don’t hold sci-if shows and movies to a high logical standard.
So I’m immune to all the “why did this happen?” arguments.

As much as I enjoyed the action and score. It’s tough to give this last one an A or B grade. I really don’t think the dialogue added anything to this film. If a deaf person watched it without closed captioning. They’d pretty much get the gist of everything.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Exactly. It's a world where people go from planet to planet as if it's a trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Little in this world makes any sense, but people want some grand conclusion which ties it all together? I don't even know what would entail. As I said, it's a bunch of illogical nonsense that appealed to us when we were kids, and it was mostly because of the memorable characters and action sequences. But you can't have an infinite supply of cool characters and make the action fresh. We must have witnessed thousands of flying objects destroyed in the 9 movies, and that gets old. Every movie has the same narrative structure, and that gets old, too.

But as I said, it was entertaining enough. Will I watch it again? Probably not anytime soon.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject:

I enjoyed it well enough, better than the Force Awakens or the Last Jedi, not as good in my opinion as Rogue One, which I think is the last good Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. But its sci-fi, not realistic, but we go to see a space-western, lots of action, a couple of characters you care about, etc. But like the Star Trek franchise; half the films are forgettable, but you get entertained for 2-3 hours and have an excuse to eat a huge bowl of over-priced popcorn.

If you like good sci-fi, go watch the Expanse, or the Battlestar Gallatica series.

It was fun while it lasted, but other epic film series were much better movie to movie; Harry Potter, Marvel films, and the gold standard, the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the fantasy film genre.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject:

roflmao wtf was that?! big, big yikes.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I enjoyed it well enough, better than the Force Awakens or the Last Jedi, not as good in my opinion as Rogue One, which I think is the last good Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. But its sci-fi, not realistic, but we go to see a space-western, lots of action, a couple of characters you care about, etc. But like the Star Trek franchise; half the films are forgettable, but you get entertained for 2-3 hours and have an excuse to eat a huge bowl of over-priced popcorn.

If you like good sci-fi, go watch the Expanse, or the Battlestar Gallatica series.

It was fun while it lasted, but other epic film series were much better movie to movie; Harry Potter, Marvel films, and the gold standard, the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the fantasy film genre.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

Why do I have the feeling those two light sabers will be uprooted from the sand on Tatooine, in some future SW film?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

And Harry Potter is also one of the dumbest epics. Hey, let’s bring a bunch of kids with magical abilities to an old castle/school filled with danger and leave them mostly alone.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

And Harry Potter is also one of the dumbest epics. Hey, let’s bring a bunch of kids with magical abilities to an old castle/school filled with danger and leave them mostly alone.

But they had an arbitrary point system!
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

But they had an arbitrary point system!

and a sorting hat
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Anakin was deemed too old by the Jedi Council to begin training as a Jedi because it was too dangerous. He turned to the dark side. Kylo Ren was trained early as well and he turned to the dark side.

However, Luke, Leai and Rey were trained at much older ages (adulthood) and all turned out fine. You can say that Luke and Rey were the most powerful Jedis in the galaxy.

So, were the Jedi council wrong?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilt wrote:

As much as I enjoyed the action and score. It’s tough to give this last one an A or B grade. I really don’t think the dialogue added anything to this film. If a deaf person watched it without closed captioning. They’d pretty much get the gist of everything.

That's because the previous 2 films failed to setup any worthy 3rd part climax. The 2nd film ended with:

* The protagonist was whiny and never had to put in any effort or personal growth to kick the antagonist's ass.

* The antagonist was about as menacing as an Ewok with a broken leg before he even started getting wishy-washy about being a bad guy.

* The damsel in distress (Finn) wasn't, so he had no purpose to exist. The Rascal comic relief (Poe) was mostly not there and really not that funny.

So, the movie had to setup an entire reason to exist (threat), a heroic action, say goodbye to the original characters (Optional), and provide a final, happy conclusion. In 2 hours.

The ending was the same as Return of the Jedi, and apparently that was futile so it doesn't even give you warm and fuzzies.

All it really managed is saying goodby to the original characters and cobbled together sort of heroic action eye candy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: