Just curious, could Sacramento be accused of tampering over Walton??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Luke was fine until lebron signed. He's been bashed all year so just let the man continue his coaching career in peace.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Luke was fine until lebron signed. He's been bashed all year so just let the man continue his coaching career in peace.

I disagree. Luke had no expectations of accomplishing anything before Lebron got to the Lakers. Then it was playoffs or bust.

Luke was fine for babysitting players when it didn't matter.

I don't believe Luke's blitz style of defense and lack of half-court offense would've survived in the playoffs anyhow.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
What did the Kings say? I’m not sure I understand where this is coming from.

Mark Stein report this on twitter before Djoerger was fired:

Quote:

Amid reports that Kings coach Dave Joerger's job is in jeopardy, league sources say that Sacramento would have interest in Luke Walton should they decide to go through with a coaching change

That's all. Let's move on.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Anyone can be accused of tampering, but can it be proven? Magic was on national TV, so there wasn't any question of what he said. And reportedly Indy had evidence of Pelinka's tampering.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Anyone can be accused of tampering, but can it be proven? Magic was on national TV, so there wasn't any question of what he said. And reportedly Indy had evidence of Pelinka's tampering.

Well Indy didn't actually. But Paul George's agent Aaron Mintz did and I think he masterminded the tampering charge also.

First, Mintz lets Indy know that Paul George intends to leave Indy and that he prefers to play for the Lakers and sets the trap.

Lakers naturally contact Mintz about possible scenarios.

Now not sure the order goes for this. Either Indy trades PG to OKC first or Mintz tells Indy about Pelinka contacting him RE: Paul George. Either way Indy fumes and then eventually files with the NBA for tampering and the NBA then demands Pelinka/Mintz's phone records.

Why did Mintz do it? To be a spiteful (bleep)? Yeah, probably. But he was never going to steer his client to the Lakers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Well Indy didn't actually. But Paul George's agent Aaron Mintz did and I think he masterminded the tampering charge also.

First, Mintz lets Indy know that Paul George intends to leave Indy and that he prefers to play for the Lakers and sets the trap.

Now not sure the order goes for this. Either Indy trades PG to OKC first or Mintz tells Indy about Pelinka contacting him RE: Paul George. Either way Indy fumes and then eventually files with the NBA for tampering and the NBA then demands Pelinka/Mintz's phone records.

Why did Mintz do it? To be a spiteful (bleep)? Yeah, probably. But he was never going to steer his client to the Lakers.

Here's what was reported.

Magic went on TV talking about George, and the league warned the Lakers not to tamper.

Despite the warning, Pelinka had some contact with George's agent.

The Pacers filed a complaint; the league investigated; the leagued fined the Lakers 500,000.

As far as I know, no details have been reported of who said what to whom when.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
What did the Kings say? I’m not sure I understand where this is coming from.

Mark Stein report this on twitter before Djoerger was fired:

Quote:
Amid reports that Kings coach Dave Joerger's job is in jeopardy, league sources say that Sacramento would have interest in Luke Walton should they decide to go through with a coaching change.

That's all. Let's move on.

Ah. Existential tampering. So the analogous situation would be the league fining the Lakers because “sources” say the Lakers are interested in Kevin Durant.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Here's what was reported.

Magic went on TV talking about George, and the league warned the Lakers not to tamper.

Despite the warning, Pelinka had some contact with George's agent.

The Pacers filed a complaint; the league investigated; the leagued fined the Lakers 500,000.

As far as I know, no details have been reported of who said what to whom when.

There was a report that Pelinka lied to the league during their investigation.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Well if we can get a pick out of this tampering... 🤔
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

If Magic can be fined for saying “Giannis will lead the Bucks to a championship” then we definitely have a case here.

We need to stop being so nice with the rest of the league when they clearly all hate us.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
daytripper wrote:
The whole league tampers behind the scenes..there's probably no way to stop it especially when it's done on the down low.

The Lakers meanwhile are doing it publicly on Kimmel and with strong arm Klutch tactics which is the big problem here tbh.

Yeah and the Lakers don't even need to do it. You can turn on ESPN right now and they're probably talking about players under contract with other teams who are going to come to the Lakers. It's just understood that the Lakers are the biggest market and everyone would be better off here. Most teams couldn't even tamper if they wanted to. They have nothing to offer unless they do illegal under the table stuff. The Lakers getting a slap on the wrist every once in a while doesn't matter. It doesn't stop them from signing anyone and they still have more power than anyone else.

Based on the timing of how it all went down, I think the Lakers tried to give Luke an amicable exit. They've been floating his name out there and since a landing spot materialized, they could let him go without firing him and I imagine they don't have to pay him either.

Luke Walton signs contract to become the Lakers' new head coach (May 2016)

Quote:

Luke Walton and the Lakers agreed to a deal Thursday night, paving the way for him to become the next head coach of the team.

Walton, 36, reportedly has a five-year deal worth about $25 million. The first four years of the deal are guaranteed.

If it would have taken some time before they fired Luke, the opening with Sacramento might have been filled with no place for him to land. Luke could have taken a year long year sabbatical with LA paying him $5 million.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Kings did Lakers a Favor
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Well if we can get a pick out of this tampering... 🤔

What pick was sent to the Pacers?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Wino wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
We have way more self inflicted wounds than any that which would be caused by any tampering allegations

We need to stop trying to scapegoat blame on trivialities and change the culture of the team.

I'm not trying to scapegoat anything, don't lay your personal sh*t on me. I accept the problems going on here.

I was simply thinking about this and it made me wonder about it.

Wasn't addressing you directly... was saying to the community in general that although there may be some double standard... it's not a primary factor in our current issues imo.

The Chris Paul issue... sure, that's worth moaning about.

But what's happened recently hasn't affected the team as much as our internal issues.

OH I agree in that it is not worth a fight, just thinking of it as another data point. And of course our other problems are the important ones, not trying to use this to scapegoat anything at all. We gotta get our sh*t together. If anything, it shows that we are at the very least, more classy than most of the other teams in the league who YOU KNOW would have made a big deal out of it, if the shoes had been reversed.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Of course, Vlade even started tampering with Luke from 2016.

Tampering only escalates when someone complains and all the complaints usually come on the Lakers.

If the situation had been reversed and the Lakers had expressed interest in Joerger while he was still the Kings Coach?

I don't think it is a reach at all to say that would have been a problem for the league.

It is a ridiculous double standard and needs to change, again strong ownership would be helpful here.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

You get in trouble for tampering for two reasons:

1. You make public statements. Which we did, and the Kings didn't.

2. A team formally complains you tampered. We haven't done that with Luke, and won't because we parted ways with him, so there isn't anything the NBA can do.

Basically, the Kings jumped on guy we didn't want around and let leave/fire.

And Vlade played it well, saying he called Luke's people literally five minutes after the Lakers’ split went public. We can guest he might have been in touch with Luke in advance, but there's no evidence of that.

That's much different than going after a player under contract that the team wants to keep.

But they did say something somewhere because everyone knew about it. Looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

But they did say something somewhere because everyone knew about it. Looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

A Kings official would have to say something publically and on the record for it to be tampering.

It isn't tampering if reporters speculate that a team is interested or attribute the information to anonymous sources.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

Except that it's actually a moose.

If tampering charges could be based on "sources" saying that Team A is interested in Player X, the NBA front office could turn tampering fines into a cottage industry. This is NOT what Magic got fined for. This is NOT what the Lakers are accused of doing. We DID NOT get fined over media speculation that the Lakers were interested in Lebron James.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Change their name to lakers then yes
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Kings did Lakers a Favor

You a Buss kid? Because they are the only ones benefiting from Luke getting paid his last guaranteed year.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Kings did Lakers a Favor

You a Buss kid? Because they are the only ones benefiting from Luke getting paid his last guaranteed year.

And on that note, I don't know why anyone cares about these tampering fines. Would people really feel better if the Kings got fined some amount of money for spreading rumors that they were interested in a coach who the Lakers didn't want anymore?

Tampering rules are all about preserving a competitive balance that doesn't exist anyway. No one wants to leave LA for a small market so the Lakers are immune to all of this.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Kings did Lakers a Favor

And on that note, I don't know why anyone cares about these tampering fines. Would people really feel better if the Kings got fined some amount of money for spreading rumors that they were interested in a coach who the Lakers didn't want anymore?

Tampering rules are all about preserving a competitive balance that doesn't exist anyway. No one wants to leave LA for a small market so the Lakers are immune to all of this.

You are assuming Jeannie Buss wanted to fire Luke. I think Magic wanted to fire Luke and Pelinka, Jeannie didn't want to and let Magic walk over it. Then, and only then, Luke asked to be released. He did so because he knew he had a job waiting for him. I think the whole thing was a bummer for Jeannie, she lost Magic over it and then lost Luke anyhow.

I'm guessing Pelinka didn't really like Walton too much either. Probably the ONLY thing in regards to the Lakers that he AND Magic agreed on.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
Kings did Lakers a Favor

well all Laker fans benefit. its no secret the Buss kids have a tight budget. Having to pay Luke another year of dead money is less money they would offer to other positions in the organization
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

we have a (bleep) owner

who cares about tampering. I am beginning to think we need to bottom out
and this speeds it up
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: