What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
The Clippers have gotten extremely lucky in many ways.

Lou Williams and Danilo Gallinari are both playing the best basketball of their careers in their age 30 and 32 seasons. To act like this was all part of some grand master plan is laughable. The Clippers are fortunate that Gallinari, a career 37% shooter from 3, is hitting at an insane 43% clip this season.

What should the Lakers learn from the fact that the Clippers were able to build a good portion of this 8th seeded team off the backs of the value they received from trading two franchise max players (Chris Paul and Blake Griffin)? That alone gave the Clippers a head start on asset acquisition that this Lakers front office simply did not have so I'm not really sure what comparison you can make to what the Clippers have done, versus what the Lakers have done.

The Clippers are just following the model we already set forth - chasing stars. Make no mistake, this playoff trip was an accident. They acquired Tobias Harris in the Blake trade, and trading Tobias was - for all intents and purposes - waiving the white flag on this season. It's really no different than us trading Lou Williams. We traded Lou because we weren't trying to contend, and were trying to maneuver for the future. It's the same reason the Clippers traded Tobias. It just so happens they got excellent play from guys like Danilo and Lou to keep them afloat.

Both teams started in drastically different spots, but ironically, are just about in the same place heading into the summer. In the NBA, you're either a title contender, or you're not. There's no relevance to being stuck in between.

Logic 101 passed
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

On Hour 3 of Mason & Ireland Brian Windhorst said that despite being in LA, the Clippers operate like a small market team. He said besides Lawrence Frank, they have other people who are great at their job in the room at the same time making decisions. They have one of the best negotiators in the NBA as well. They also have Jerry West as a consultant. They invested heavily on scouting and player development. If there’s a player who they feel they don’t want to pay (Tobias Harris), they’ll trade them ahead of time and get something in return. He said they were smart enough to let Luc Mbah a Moute go two games before the end of the season. Why was that important? Because they were smart enough to realize that Rodney Mcgruder, a good shooter, was about to be let go by the Heat. Someone that the Lakers could have used. He also said that with their second Max spot, he’s willing to bet that the Clippers spend it on team building rathers than another big name star.

Sigh. Wish we had their front office.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:

Lou Williams and Danilo Gallinari are both playing the best basketball of their careers in their age 30 and 32 seasons. To act like this was all part of some grand master plan is laughable. The Clippers are fortunate that Gallinari, a career 37% shooter from 3, is hitting at an insane 43% clip this season.

What should the Lakers learn from the fact that the Clippers were able to build a good portion of this 8th seeded team off the backs of the value they received from trading two franchise max players (Chris Paul and Blake Griffin)? That alone gave the Clippers a head start on asset acquisition that this Lakers front office simply did not have so I'm not really sure what comparison you can make to what the Clippers have done, versus what the Lakers have done.

The Clippers are just following the model we already set forth - chasing stars. Make no mistake, this playoff trip was an accident. They acquired Tobias Harris in the Blake trade, and trading Tobias was - for all intents and purposes - waiving the white flag on this season. It's really no different than us trading Lou Williams. We traded Lou because we weren't trying to contend, and were trying to maneuver for the future. It's the same reason the Clippers traded Tobias. It just so happens they got excellent play from guys like Danilo and Lou to keep them afloat.

Both teams started in drastically different spots, but ironically, are just about in the same place heading into the summer. In the NBA, you're either a title contender, or you're not. There's no relevance to being stuck in between.

Good post Particularly the part about trading multiple stars to obtain the Clippers' current assets, which people conveniently ignore. I mean, this Clipper team is still inferior to the CP3-Blake team of the past several years. Their plans are entirely dependent on signing free agents, just as the Lakers are. Maybe they'll do it, maybe they won't. We'll see. I have my doubts whether the Clipper roster will look all that enticing to FA's, but I don't know.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Username wrote:

Good post Particularly the part about trading multiple stars to obtain the Clippers' current assets, which people conveniently ignore. I mean, this Clipper team is still inferior to the CP3-Blake team of the past several years. Their plans are entirely dependent on signing free agents, just as the Lakers are. Maybe they'll do it, maybe they won't. We'll see. I have my doubts whether the Clipper roster will look all that enticing to FA's, but I don't know.

Imagine if the Lakers did that.
Imagine when the Lakers in the late 90s when Shaq and Kobe couldn't get over the hump (before Phil) had traded Shaq one year, and then Kobe the next. And then with a bunch of nobody's get to the 8th seed.

I'm sure the Lakers fans would have been pleased? I'm not saying CP3 and Blake were taking them to the finals, just saying the Clippers aren't better off from where they were basketball wise. Next year? We'll see.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

I think what they Lakers need to learn in general is the importance of building a culture that everyone buys into. I get we had injuries and thus could never grow together in that way, but we really played with no identity what so ever
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers were in the position that the Clippers are in, people would be talking about how "they used to compete for championships and now after Jerry Buss died all they wanna do is have a playoff level team to sell tickets".

The Clippers are getting praised for that level of play because they are the Clippers. The Clippers and the Lakers have an equal chance of winning a championship this season (the current playoffs going on).
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Hire Jerry West.

Not even that - just hire competent people
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

I think having Lou/Harrell on such bargain deals is such a big help for them. You get such high level play from guys making under the full MLE. Plus, they're not on rookie deals so they are ready to play now.

Hopefully Lakers will start investing in long term pieces. We've had so much turnover recently.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Re: OP

Playing hard all the time and never giving up should be a requisite for professional athletes. Load balancing is bs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bol wrote:
Nothing against the Clippers, but I'd rather learn things from championship teams than 8 seeds.

Definition of short sighted

The Lakers have dominated the nba for decades

Clippers have dominated at holding the title of team everyone wants out of L.A.

Definition of living in the past
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Thing to learn from the Clippers: Make the playoffs as an 8th seed and win one game against the GSW and have some Lakers fans go hyperbole mode on how great the Clippers are.

Why not, a lot of Laker fans here live off of a meaningless win against the Warriors on Christmas. At least a playoff win means something.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
Bol wrote:
Nothing against the Clippers, but I'd rather learn things from championship teams than 8 seeds.

I wonder why my Blockbuster Video membership card doesn't work anymore.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
Bol wrote:

Exactly right, living in the past isn't going to improve our team. Players have pretty much shown that, what got players here in the past was the fact we had stability along with the winning culture and mindset. At the moment we are looking more like the knicks but with Lebron.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

...I just don't comment on the Clips until the second round.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Thing to learn from the Clippers: Make the playoffs as an 8th seed and win one game against the GSW and have some Lakers fans go hyperbole mode on how great the Clippers are.

Why not, a lot of Laker fans here live off of a meaningless win against the Warriors on Christmas. At least a playoff win means something.

100% on point

We cling so much on how we're a good team because of that game and being 20-14 "4th seed" before injuries, yet it's nothing compared to what the clippers pulled off last night.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:

100% on point

We cling so much on how we're a good team because of that game and being 20-14 "4th seed" before injuries, yet it's nothing compared to what the clippers pulled off last night.

So are you guys on this mindset as well:

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

When Free Agency starts and players start picking their teams this site is going to go ballistic. Instead of blaming the real reason they don't want to come here I expect LG'ers will bash the players and call them weak just like they do with PG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:

100% on point

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

I watch a lot of Clipper games and cheer for them to win unless they are playing the Lakers. Harrell is my favorite player. But I don't have NBA TV, so most nights if I want to watch a game it is either Lakers or Clippers.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:

100% on point

Quote:

I watch a lot of Clipper games and cheer for them to win unless they are playing the Lakers. Harrell is my favorite player. But I don't have NBA TV, so most nights if I want to watch a game it is either Lakers or Clippers.

TIL...
Interesting mindset.
I usually can't bring myself to that. I'm for the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams and Bruins.

I usually root against the Clippers, the Raiders, and Trojans. I might root for them depending on who they play though. But interestingly enough I don't mind when the Chargers and Angels win.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:

100% on point

Quote:

No it's being objective. If the lakers pulled off something similar, we'd be estatic right now.

It's fine if people don't think the clipper's game means anything, especially when it comes to winning a championship. However, it's downright hypocritical for laker fans to dismiss that game yet hang their hat on beating the warriors on christmas day.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Man, if BI scored 25 points in his playoff debut win we'd be preparing a statue outside of Staples.

IF we came back from a 31 point deficit in a playoff game we'd be flying the Lakers flag all day and night.

We're just down and out so we will of course lack objectivity.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
epak wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:

100% on point

Quote:

No it's being objective. If the lakers pulled off something similar, we'd be estatic right now.

It's fine if people don't think the clipper's game means anything, especially when it comes to winning a championship. However, it's downright hypocritical for laker fans to dismiss that game yet hang their hat on beating the warriors on christmas day.

What is your argument right now though?
That it was a great comeback? I dont think anyone disagrees.

And I'd actually have an issue with VLF's quote that there's a lot of Lakers fans here living off that Christmas game. Who is doing that? That seems to be a false statement that you're guys are using for some argument that I dont think anyone is making.

The reason for mentioning last night's game in my OP is that after the said game, is when postings about how great the Clippers are as an org., a FO and even players came about. That's the hyperbole.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Lol..lots of Lakers fans are salty because the Clippers are no longer a dumpster fire like the Lakers currently are. I'm not a Clipper fan but it's nice to have a team in the same city that is shaming my favorite team. Maybe that will motivate them.

I do hate the GSW more than the Clippers so I am rooting for the Clips in this series.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

troy wrote:
1. Play hard. Play hard. Play hard.
2. Be aggressive. Lakers need someone out there with an attitude. I love Pat Beverly and wish the Lakers had him on this team.
3. Be smart. The Clippers are one of the smartest teams in the NBA.
4. Be consistent. Sweet Lou Williams is consistent in his offensive flow, not prone to long stretches where he's not mentally in the game.
5. You don't need the homerun. Be smart with your passes (Laker had way too many turnovers).
6. Don't panic, and stay within your offensive scheme.
7. Stay locked in on defense on EVERY play, not just for stretches.
8. Be hardnosed with your coaching. Get emotional out there, don't always try to be the players best friend.
9. Believe in yourselves. Don't get caught up in drama.
10. You don't need a superstar on your team to WIN...you just need heart.

Other notes
* I think the trade of Zubac is making sense. Zu looks absolutely lost out there; poor footwork, no offensive game, no defense, clumsy, fumbling, 100% a non-contributor.

* The Clippers, assuming they keep their key players (Lou, Bev, a few more) are absolutely an attractive team to go to as a free agent.

* Cousins is washed up. No way he gets nothing more next season than the vet minimum.

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

The Clippers are a weird team. Only thing they do well is 3-point shooting.

They tend to blow teams out or get blown out.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

An scrappy 8th seed wins a game and now we need to model ourselves after them? The franchise that recently blew up its roster, and legit chance to contend after getting nowhere, and is rebuilding... lets ignore all that, they got an 8th seed and won a game! Woooo!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: