The Best Basketball Player In The World
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: The Best Basketball Player In The World

I'm not on board with the latest sports pundits talking point "Best Player In The World." One day it's LeBron, next it's KD, next it's Giannis, now it's Kawhi, it goes on and on, whoever suits the days fancy. There is no longer a Best player in the world, he's retired , Michael Jordan.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

jodeke wrote:
I'm not on board with the latest sports pundits talking point "Best Player In The World." One day it's LeBron, next it's KD, next it's Giannis, now it's Kawhi, it goes on and on, whoever suits the days fancy. There is no longer a Best player in the world, he's retired , Michael Jordan.

When they say "best player in the world," they are talking about the best active player, not the best player of all time.

Most people agree MJ is the GOAT; but there is no consensus on who the best active player is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

When they say "best player in the world," they are talking about the best active player, not the best player of all time.

Most people agree MJ is the GOAT; but there is no consensus on who the best active player is.

I understand that. MJ was a constant. Today it's who's now, who's tomorrow. If you want to shelf it's got to be LeBron, no need to discuss. He's been a constant.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I understand that. MJ was a constant. Today it's who's now, who's tomorrow. If you want to shelf it's got to be LeBron, no need to discuss. He's been a constant.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Yes, Lebron has the best overall career of any active player by far.

However, he's probably past the point where he is still the best player in the league at this moment. That is probably either Durant, LLeonard or Giannis.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Yes, Lebron has the best overall career of any active player by far.

However, he's probably past the point where he is still the best player in the league at this moment. That is probably either Durant, LLeonard or Giannis.

I'm just a bit tired of the narrative, best player in the world. To many best players.

BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Kawhi or Steph.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Kawhi or Steph.

Steph. He does more. 3 pt shooting, Scores, Asst, Rebounds, Makes players around him better, Unselfish etc. I don't know how many triple doubles he's had this season. He does these things as a matter of fact. I won't say he's the best player in the world, I don't believe in that label. I think he's better than Kawhi.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

O & D Jodeke

So far the title goes Kareem to Magic to MJ to Shaq to Kobe to LeBron to Kawhi/KD/maybe still LeBron
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
O & D Jodeke

So far the title goes Kareem to Magic to MJ to Shaq to Kobe to LeBron to Kawhi/KD/maybe still LeBron

Steph is a pesky defender. He doesn't get much credit for it. Kawhi is a better man on man defender. Steph is more team orientated.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

kobe is still the best basketball player i've ever seen, and MJ would agree with that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

jodeke wrote:

Wasn't this the plot of Space Jam?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Best Basketball Player In The World

20,000 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wasn't this the plot of Space Jam?

YEP

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Jordan was lucky that he played during ESPN’s formative years, they rode him to ratings. Along with Stern morphing from publicizing team to publicizing stars. Jordan isn’t the greatest now and isn’t the greatest of all time. Most highly publicized? Possibly with Lebron running a close second.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jordan was lucky that he played during ESPN’s formative years, they rode him to ratings. Along with Stern morphing from publicizing team to publicizing stars. Jordan isn’t the greatest now and isn’t the greatest of all time. Most highly publicized? Possibly with Lebron running a close second.

ESPN didn't even rights to the NBA when MJ played.They only had rights to college basketball back then. Back when MJ played the TV rights went to CBS followed by NBC, while the national TV cable games were on TNT and TBS.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

ESPN didn't even rights to the NBA when MJ played.They only had rights to college basketball back then. Back when MJ played the TV rights went to CBS followed by NBC, while the national TV cable games were on TNT and TBS.

Ventura thinks Kareem is GOAT, which is certainly reasonable, but it's not an opinion most people share. I think the main reason is that Kareem's game never inspired and thrilled people the way MJ's did. Kids on playground's never pretended they were Kareem.

Kareem lacks the "It" factor. I don't think that's purely a matter of hype. Kareem was around when the NBA had a huge surge of popularity because of Magic and Bird, but Kareem was never a cause of that popularity.

On a purely objective basis, I think the case for Kareem is as good as the case for Jordan. I could go either way on the two of them myself. But I part company when people start dismissing MJ, Lebron and others as products of hype because their accomplishments met whatever hype they were given.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I'm still stuck on Magic...!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

ESPN had a small deal with the NBA from 82-84 (right before MJ entered the league), and they didn't get back in until 2002 right before MJ retired (which caused a ratings slump). So, yeah, in terms of TV ratings there was no connection between ESPN and MJ.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Maybe you missed Sportscenter?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
O & D Jodeke

Steph is a pesky defender. He doesn't get much credit for it. Kawhi is a better man on man defender. Steph is more team orientated.

@govenator I'm bumping this for clarification. At this point in time Kawhi is a better all around player than Steph. If I had to choose who to build around it would be Kawhi. My point is Steph does more for his team and teammates. IMO Steph doesn't get enough credit for all he does. He's primarily know as a scorer. His other contributions are glossed over. JMHO

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
O & D Jodeke

@govenator I'm bumping this for clarification. At this point in time Kawhi is a better all around player than Steph. If I had to choose who to build around it would be Kawhi. My point is Steph does more for his team and teammates. IMO Steph doesn't get enough credit for all he does. He's primarily know as a scorer. His other contributions are glossed over. JMHO

Steph might be underrated (I doubt it, 2 MVP recognitions says otherwise) but it's arguable that he does more for GS than Kawhi to Raptors. Kawhi anchors both the offense and the defense of Toronto. Steph is part of a 2 or 3 headed monsters on offense (I actually think the offense runs thru KD first more than Steph) and GS defense doesn't revolve around Steph, Draymond is the anchor. Gonna have to disagree with you here Jodeke. But hope you're having a good memorial day remembrance
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
O & D Jodeke

Steph might be underrated (I doubt it, 2 MVP recognitions says otherwise) but it's arguable that he does more for GS than Kawhi to Raptors. Kawhi anchors both the offense and the defense of Toronto. Steph is part of a 2 or 3 headed monsters on offense (I actually think the offense runs thru KD first more than Steph) and GS defense doesn't revolve around Steph, Draymond is the anchor. Gonna have to disagree with you here Jodeke. But hope you're having a good memorial day remembrance

OK gov Your points are taken and noted. To most of your post I concede. I'm revisiting how much each does for their individual teams. At this point in time I have to say Kawhi may be doing more for Toronto than Steph is Golden State. Dammit you've changed my mind. Sometimes I wish were a Internet Warrior who would argue till the cows come home but LINK. Sorta like my avatar location.

I still think he's not given the credit he deserves for all he does for his team.

I'm a vet. This is a day I hold in reverence.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Kawhi or Steph.

Steph. He does more. 3 pt shooting, Scores, Asst, Rebounds, Makes players around him better, Unselfish etc. I don't know how many triple doubles he's had this season. He does these things as a matter of fact. I won't say he's the best player in the world, I don't believe in that label. I think he's better than Kawhi.

I'm just trying to imagine Steph guarding Greek Freak. Not even saying shutting him down.
I think if Durant stayed in OKC. Steph would be stuck on 1 chip right now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Kawhi or Steph.

I'm just trying to imagine Steph guarding Greek Freak. Not even saying shutting him down.
I think if Durant stayed in OKC. Steph would be stuck on 1 chip right now.

No way Steph could guard Giannis. KD made the Dubs better but they were a force before he came. Best regular season win in NBA history 73 9. I believe they're going to bring home the Larry O'Brien without him this year.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ventura thinks Kareem is GOAT

He is correct.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Ventura thinks Kareem is GOAT

He is correct.

when including off court it's not even close...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: