what's good in Portland, Oregon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: what's good in Portland, Oregon?

help
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Lots of Gentleman’s clubs.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

thai food
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Food Truck Park Downtown
McMenamins Rock Creek Tavern
Multonomah Falls
Powell Books
Aerial Tram
Pub Crawling in the Hawthorne District

Acropolis or Casa Di Ablo (St Helens) Strip Bar (Not for the girls, unless you're into chunky tatted chicks. Portland has the highest number of strip bars per capita and they compete with one another by offering very good food specials. You can get a steak dinner for $7 bucks and just try to ignore the hid gals trying to shake their bits at ya.)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: what's good in Portland, Oregon?

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
help

What kind of stuff are you looking for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

Lots of trees.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: what's good in Portland, Oregon?

LarryCoon wrote:
help

anything, really. food, sights, nature

I've done food truck pods, multnomah, bridal veil falls, the bookstore, cannon beach
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

A Portland Timbers home game....I don't even care about their MLS team but the atmosphere is probably the best in the MLS considering how intimate the venue is.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Bikini Baristas
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Voodoo Doughnut - Weird doughnuts and freaks abounding (in a good way of course)

Upright Brewing - One of Portland many microbreweries, Lanny drinks mass produced beer as I am a man of the people, but no doubt you will pull ladies here

Catfish Lou's - Blues music in a laid back setting, get into the groove and enjoy yourself
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Breweries
Food scene
Nature
Nike and Adidas headquarters
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: what's good in Portland, Oregon?

LarryCoon wrote:
help

anything, really. food, sights, nature

I've done food truck pods, multnomah, bridal veil falls, the bookstore, cannon beach

Okay, then you're not a rookie there. For food, Portland City Grill is always fun. We did the downtown culinary walking tour and really enjoyed it (my 2nd favorite after Boston's North End tour). Sounds like you did the waterfalls, and maybe also some of the smaller ones. Multnomah is the touristy one, but the others give you a much better experience. You can stand under some of them, if you want.

Head SW down the 99 and you're in some really outstanding Pinot Noir country. In terms of accessibility, price and facilities, maybe try Rex Hill.

Astoria is a little Victorian town right at the outlet of the Columbia River. Head up the Columbia River and Hood River is great to visit. Keep going and you'll hit Maryhill, which is Sam Hill's house converted into a pretty interesting museum (lots of Rodin there, and he was BFFs with the Romanian Queen, and the crown jewels are there).

You've been to Cannon Beach. Seaside is near there, and reminds me of Laguna Beach or Carmel. Down the coast is Lincoln City -- we had a hotel on the beach. Right outside is a great dungeness crab fishing spot, and the hotel has a stove for you to cook 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Food Truck Park Downtown
McMenamins Rock Creek Tavern
Multonomah Falls
Powell Books
Aerial Tram
Pub Crawling in the Hawthorne District

Acropolis or Casa Di Ablo (St Helens) Strip Bar (Not for the girls, unless you're into chunky tatted chicks. Portland has the highest number of strip bars per capita and they compete with one another by offering very good food specials. You can get a steak dinner for $7 bucks and just try to ignore the hid gals trying to shake their bits at ya.)

I stayed at their Edgefield location, out in Troutdale. It was awesome. You don't have to go anywhere. Walk around in nature, drink at a whiskey distillery, great pub food, brewery, winery and you sleep inside an old school house.
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

dont go to voodoo donuts. its a tourist trap and the line is long and its not that good (bacon maple bars notwithstanding). blue star or pips donuts are way better!

if you can drive to either the beach (cannon, astoria, etc, its worth it), if you want to go the other way to hood river, pfreim brewery and double mountain are top shelf. plus you can stop at multnomah falls on the way. if you cant, no worries. but both are fun.

I am a season ticket holder for the Timbers, so I second that (timbers army!). Tix can be hard to come by though.

Portland is a better city to live in, than to visit if you ask me though. not a ton of places like disneyland, empire state building, etc to stay at for a day. its mroe of a culture...bike riding, fishing, hiking, good food, good coffee, good wineries and breweries..etc.
NW23rd, Mississippi Ave, downtown near Pioneer Square are decent places to walk around.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

Agree about Voodoo donuts, they are nothing special, the line is ridiculous.
As far as the area is, its a lot cheaper than LA, but its very true that it isn't much of a tourist destination.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Been reading CA folks in large quantities are leaving for Austin, TX.

But Portland would the top place I’d want to go to if I ever take the plunge and leave CA.
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yep, we moved in 2004 from LA to PDX. Other than In-N-Out, Dodger/Lakers games, and seeing the beach more easily, I dont miss a damn thing.

and In-N-Out is now arriving too...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

JoeKool wrote:
dont go to voodoo donuts. its a tourist trap and the line is long and its not that good (bacon maple bars notwithstanding). blue star or pips donuts are way better!

if you can drive to either the beach (cannon, astoria, etc, its worth it), if you want to go the other way to hood river, pfreim brewery and double mountain are top shelf. plus you can stop at multnomah falls on the way. if you cant, no worries. but both are fun.

I am a season ticket holder for the Timbers, so I second that (timbers army!). Tix can be hard to come by though.

Portland is a better city to live in, than to visit if you ask me though. not a ton of places like disneyland, empire state building, etc to stay at for a day. its mroe of a culture...bike riding, fishing, hiking, good food, good coffee, good wineries and breweries..etc.
NW23rd, Mississippi Ave, downtown near Pioneer Square are decent places to walk around.

Skip Voodoo and have breakfast at the Byway Café in the Pearl. Maryhill is definitely cool. There's a mini Stonehenge up there as a memorial to their WW1 dead. Very cool and sobering.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

In all honesty... what is the weather like there?

I am not good with a lot of gloom.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Nice hot summer, mixed spring and fall, winter with some snow and ice. Fair amount of rain.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

No sales tax.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Nice hot summer, mixed spring and fall, winter with some snow and ice. Fair amount of rain.

Oh nice. For some reason I thought it was ... always gloomy/wet.

So basically you get 4 distinct seasons? Thats kinda nice.

Planning out a potential CA exit strategy but it aint easy. Will def check out Portland maybe in the summer. Thanks!
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Food scene - Pine street biscuits, Screen Door, Tasty & Alder (or Sons), Pips doughnuts

Drinking - Lots of breweries of different varieties, cool drinking spots - Multnomah Public School and Multnomah Whisky Library.

Hiking - Tons of hikes with beautiful waterfalls & scenery.

Tourist areas - Zoo, Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Childrens Museum, The Grotto, Multnomah Falls.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Xfactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Just came back from Portland this past weekend.

The farmers market at Portland State University had a lot of good stuff. We went there on a Saturday morning and could have easily spend the better part of the afternoon there as well.

BrunchBox, which is near the Alter Food Carts, has good sandwiches.

The original Salt & Straw is better than the ones here in LA, imo.

You can also visit the Nike Community Store. Good prices + no sales tax.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I tried voodoo on a past trip and thought it wasn't even 1% better than any given generic corner donut store. They do have zany assortments, which still aren't worth the line. Neither is Salt & Straw, which might be the most overrated long-line hot spot I've ever visited.

Thanks for the wine & brewery suggestions...I've never been into wine or beer but next time I'll see if those can open me up to those tastes.

followed the old columbia highway and saw more falls than just multnomah...lots of really pretty trails in the area

did the food cart pods again and realized that most serve mediocre food. Half are closed even during prime times, and halal/kebab style is overrepresented, and their pods are open all night. Same in NYC. Spread the (bleep) out to LA, please.

Went to washington park and the rose test garden. went to OMSI which isn't nearly as cool as the exploratorium.

The weather over the few days I was there was perfectly sunny and mild; better than any 3 day stretch in 2019 socal.

I've always wanted to visit Astoria based on nothing more than how picturesque it looks in Kindergarten Cop and the Goonies but I keep getting hijacked to go to different places on the coast.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: