Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Fallout wrote:
MJST wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
After year 1 together, will we have a me or him problem? LOL! Nobody is talking about worst case scenario that will send us back to the stone ages. They don't click, other teams with cap space starts luring AD, Lebron is never at fault for anything. AD gets a taste of it and bolts like Kyrie. Holy moly!

The stone ages is not far off when the Lakers bet everything on this one season.

The scariest thing is there seems to be no backup plan. If Davis leaves, the Lakers are done for another 10 years. They have no young talent, they have no future, they are missing some future picks in years we'd be the worst team in the league.

If Davis leaves. The Lakers have the LeBron retirement tour for a season and then are a lottery team for the next 10 seasons.

And the wasted potential of the 2014-2019 rebuild is completed as the guys we got rid of become stars around the league while we flounder at the bottom of it, living only on name recognition as opposed to competently running our organization. Essentially becoming the Knicks indefinitely.

That is the worst case scenario, and all it takes is for this year to not end in a Championship. So it's one of those 'you've got one shot at this' scenarios, and everything would have to go perfect.

It is a risk, but a calculated risk. Lakers could have managed it better, but with the Jim/Mitch era with bad contracts, then Magic etc, there was turmoil. But the goal is always get superstars. Thats the Laker's mantra. When they persuade Lebron to come here with the plan, its expected the young players will be gone. AD has a big price tag, but getting a top NBA player. Does it hurt to trade draft picks? Yes, but if Lakers do well, those draft picks are non issues.

If Lakers didn't do what they did, they wouldnt have persuade Lebron to come here. Lakers will basically be the Celtics hoarding draft picks and young players and eventually losing them.
Injuries is part of the game. If GS didn't lose KD and Klay, their dynasty continues.

This is something the Lakers HAD to do, how often can you get a Lebron James and an AD on the same team, plus a 3rd max player? When you get a chance to build a super team, you go do it.

Otherwise keeping the 'core' Lakers will continue to be a mediocre team.

You didn't really dispute his point though which is that there is no backup plan. Which is true. There isn't.

Now, maybe for a guy like AD, that is worth the risk. It's certainly up for debate for sure.

Its all in. But all in with Lebron and AD odds, I like those chance.

The alternative is look at the Celtics.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:

I think you're missing the point. It's about the lack of a backup plan. Whether you like the chance of your backup plan not being needed is fine but irrelevant.

Point being that there is no viable Plan B should something not go as planned (such as, not re-signing AD, for instance).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

Why didn't the Pelicans try to pair Zion with AD? Or even Zion/Randle/AD?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
After year 1 together, will we have a me or him problem? LOL! Nobody is talking about worst case scenario that will send us back to the stone ages. They don't click, other teams with cap space starts luring AD, Lebron is never at fault for anything. AD gets a taste of it and bolts like Kyrie. Holy moly!

The stone ages is not far off when the Lakers bet everything on this one season.

The scariest thing is there seems to be no backup plan. If Davis leaves, the Lakers are done for another 10 years. They have no young talent, they have no future, they are missing some future picks in years we'd be the worst team in the league.

If Davis leaves. The Lakers have the LeBron retirement tour for a season and then are a lottery team for the next 10 seasons.

And the wasted potential of the 2014-2019 rebuild is completed as the guys we got rid of become stars around the league while we flounder at the bottom of it, living only on name recognition as opposed to competently running our organization. Essentially becoming the Knicks indefinitely.

That is the worst case scenario, and all it takes is for this year to not end in a Championship. So it's one of those 'you've got one shot at this' scenarios, and everything would have to go perfect.

I've fashioned a noose after reading this post. I might use it.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

That question should be put to AD and Randle not the Pelicans.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Fallout wrote:

I think you're missing the point. It's about the lack of a backup plan. Whether you like the chance of your backup plan not being needed is fine but irrelevant.

Point being that there is no viable Plan B should something not go as planned (such as, not re-signing AD, for instance).

How do you know? Do you really believe that with all the Laker managers, coaches, scouts, consultants they don’t consider alternatives and map contingency options?
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Do you have a doomsday bunker in your basement? You can never be too careful amirite? Relax. Free agency isn't even here yet. If we get Kawhi, AD's never leaving and we'd be alright even if he does walk away.

On the contrary, I think everything has to go wrong for AD to leave. We'd have to completely strike out on a 3rd max, fail to sign good role players with the max money so that we don't make the playoffs with both Bron and AD healthy or get swept in the first round by a lower seeded team. Along the way, AD's relationship with Bron and Klutch becomes irreparably damaged, AD ditches Rich Paul and goes to a new team in 2020.

Or something similar to that.

If AD leaves(he won't), trade Bron for BI, Zo and picks so he can go and mentor Zion(I kid)
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

The backup plan is whoever we sign with the remaining capspace. Aside from that I have a hard time seeing AD defecting in free agency.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

AD isn't a jerk.. He understands what was sacrificed for him. He's not leaving.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

There's been more discussion about AD leaving and his trade kicker than how badass he's gonna be for us on the court
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

Exactly. He wants to win and he wants to win in a big market.

If he was a jerk, he wouldn’t have given the Pelicans 7 years and already signed an extension once.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

lounger wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DAMN!! We get AD and have a chance to come up and this page is loaded with negativism.

The man asked to come here and I'm reading a bunch of IF'S. IF the hound hadn't stopped to ish he would have caught the fox?

We have the summer, cap space and a new FA attraction.

Take a look at our roster we're in pretty good shape as is and I bet it's gonna get better. C'mon people quit with the doom and gloom.

Be Johnny Mercer like;

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

What roster? We have 3 players.

5, actually, including Bonga and Mo...

I like Caldwell-Pope, JaVale McGee, Rajon Rondo and Alex Caruso. They're good role players, Rondo's of more value than he's given credit for. If we get some decent FA I'm sure we'll make the playoffs. Once there all bets are off.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Exactly. He wants to win and he wants to win in a big market.

If he was a jerk, he wouldn’t have given the Pelicans 7 years and already signed an extension once.

Take out the name Anthony Davis.
Put in the name Dwight Howard.

Take out the name The Pelicans.
Put in the word The Magic

Now look at our current situation.
Take out the name LeBron James
replace it with the name Kobe Bryant.

Now... remember how many people were on pins and needles about that pick we gave up for Nash once we became one of the worst teams in the league? (which we **lucked** into being able to draft Russell and Ingram and didn't lose it).

Now we don't even have that kind of cushion. We can't even say "the next 4 years of tanking can reap us rewards).

We'd be actually, in a similar situation we were in once Dwight left.

Davis could do the same. It doesn't matter what we gave up for him, if this season goes tails up, he's not sticking around to be in another New Orleans situation.

He left from being the only face of the franchise(like Dwight), and isn't sticking around to be that again.

There will be 23 other teams with more cap space to sign talent once Davis is a free agent in 2020. And there are theoretically 9 teams that will have room for 2 maxes.

Also keep in mind this reality.

If Kawhi re-signs with the Raptors for the next 5 seasons(which if the 5s he held up at the parade are anything to go by he intends to). In 2020 they will have room for another max as Lowry's, Ibaka's and Gasol's contracts end and Siakam is restricted.

So the Raptors will have more than enough space to pair Kawhi with Davis in Toronto, in the East, where it's a guaranteed trip to the Finals every year. Ibaka and Lowry can also come back after Davis is signed.

They won't be the Lakers only competition either.

The Lakers need to make a statement or a significant dent in the West this year or that could be it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

AD is not Dwight Howard.

Howard is and always has been a flake tbh.

One reason I'm hesitant on Kyrie is his antics are concerning. It's fun that he screwed over the celtics but he is also starting to show shades of Ricky Williams...Im not sure the dude is going to be about basketball too much longer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Just like Paul George was the franchise savior before he decided he didn't want to be here.

Anthony Davis would go from 'hero' to 'flake' if the Lakers meme teamed this season and he left in free agency because he didn't want another New Orleans situation.

Dwight was called a flake, mainly because of his antics during the season (which we ignored any of when he wanted out of Orlando because it was to our advantage.. till it was happening to us).

But also because he didn't want to stay, to head the franchise, mostly by himself with an aging Kobe. Again, same scenario he wanted out of in Orlando in principle, and he went to a team that had the space, and a young superstar on the up, not on the down.

For that reason I say, keep an eye out for Toronto if they re-sign Kawhi. They'll have max space next off-season too.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I’m not going to hash the PG13 situation again, just from the info I know and tracking the timeline, the Lakers had eyes on the “hotter girl” when she became available and that upset PG13 so he ran back to the current boyfriend. Look at that situation now. He is stuck.

AD is Klutch’s cornerstone in the LA market, specifically after Lebron. He will be the face. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly tell you that you were right.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Just like Paul George was the franchise savior before he decided he didn't want to be here.

Anthony Davis would go from 'hero' to 'flake' if the Lakers meme teamed this season and he left in free agency because he didn't want another New Orleans situation.

Dwight was called a flake, mainly because of his antics during the season (which we ignored any of when he wanted out of Orlando because it was to our advantage.. till it was happening to us).

But also because he didn't want to stay, to head the franchise, mostly by himself with an aging Kobe. Again, same scenario he wanted out of in Orlando in principle, and he went to a team that had the space, and a young superstar on the up, not on the down.

For that reason I say, keep an eye out for Toronto if they re-sign Kawhi. They'll have max space next off-season too.
they’d still have Lowry on contracts no? Along with an extension for Siakam.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fallout wrote:

How do you know? Do you really believe that with all the Laker managers, coaches, scouts, consultants they don’t consider alternatives and map contingency options?

Key word is "viable"

The lakers FO has shown too much incompetency on the basketball side in the last 6 years. It's hard to believe whatever contingency plan they come up with is anything worthwhile.

Last edited by dabask11 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

One reason I'm hesitant on Kyrie is his antics are concerning. It's fun that he screwed over the celtics but he is also starting to show shades of Ricky Williams...Im not sure the dude is going to be about basketball too much longer.

Did D12 even want the Lakers?
I thought he wanted Brooklyn or New Jersey or something?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I thought the Pels did and AD said he still wanted out
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

they’d still have Lowry on contracts no? Along with an extension for Siakam.

Lowry's contract will be up, as will Gasol's as will Ibaka's.

Siakam will be a RFA. They'd prioritize signing Davis to pair with Kawhi and then they'd sort out the rest. Lowry would likely return for less, as could Ibaka and Gasol as I think they've all season their last 20M paychecks at these points in their careers.

So things line up pretty well for Toronto.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Did D12 even want the Lakers?
I thought he wanted Brooklyn or New Jersey or something?

Wanted the Lakers or the Nets and said the teammate he'd want to play most with was Kobe Bryant.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
The backup plan is whoever we sign with the remaining capspace. Aside from that I have a hard time seeing AD defecting in free agency.

Why? If we (bleep) up the roster build and he doesn’t believe in our FO why would he stick around? Again, unless the FO massively (bleep) up this season, there is likely little chance he bolts next summer (but it is possible if things go badly enough, I would imagine), but the real threat is when Lebron’s opt out comes. AD is likely to do a 1+1 or a 2+1 to get to his ten year mark so he can sign the 35% ten year max, which coincides with Lebron’s opt out/contract end. If we haven’t built a contender by then, there’s little reason for AD to believe we will be able to build a contender around him without Lebron, and I could absolutely see him bouncing. That also happens to be when we start sending picks to NO, which would mean disaster for us.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

So what is the better plan you have that would have got us AD, keep cap space, and completely mitigated the risk and fallout should AD leave?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

So what is the better plan you have that would have got us AD, keep cap space, and completely mitigated the risk and fallout should AD leave?

My plan would have been if it was so sure he'd come in free agency and his agent was really about that life of getting him and the "The Celtics could trade for him..but he'd only play there one year.."

And the connection to LeBron was all legit, and the Celtics were still after all that about to give up their own assets for AD. Then I'd have let them.

And then made my move in 2020 while keeping all our assets and talent.

When you don't have to outbid against yourself. Don't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 753 of 1427
Jump to: