Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 753, 754, 755 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Howard is and always has been a flake tbh.

One reason I'm hesitant on Kyrie is his antics are concerning. It's fun that he screwed over the celtics but he is also starting to show shades of Ricky Williams...Im not sure the dude is going to be about basketball too much longer.

Did D12 even want the Lakers?
I thought he wanted Brooklyn or New Jersey or something?

Wanted the Lakers or the Nets and said the teammate he'd want to play most with was Kobe Bryant.

Nice. Can't wait to get him
kbitboc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
AD isn't a jerk.. He understands what was sacrificed for him. He's not leaving.

Exactly. He wants to win and he wants to win in a big market.

If he was a jerk, he wouldn’t have given the Pelicans 7 years and already signed an extension once.

Take out the name Anthony Davis.
Put in the name Dwight Howard.

Take out the name The Pelicans.
Put in the word The Magic

Now look at our current situation.
Take out the name LeBron James
replace it with the name Kobe Bryant.

Now... remember how many people were on pins and needles about that pick we gave up for Nash once we became one of the worst teams in the league? (which we **lucked** into being able to draft Russell and Ingram and didn't lose it).

Now we don't even have that kind of cushion. We can't even say "the next 4 years of tanking can reap us rewards).

We'd be actually, in a similar situation we were in once Dwight left.

Davis could do the same. It doesn't matter what we gave up for him, if this season goes tails up, he's not sticking around to be in another New Orleans situation.

He left from being the only face of the franchise(like Dwight), and isn't sticking around to be that again.

There will be 23 other teams with more cap space to sign talent once Davis is a free agent in 2020. And there are theoretically 9 teams that will have room for 2 maxes.

Also keep in mind this reality.

If Kawhi re-signs with the Raptors for the next 5 seasons(which if the 5s he held up at the parade are anything to go by he intends to). In 2020 they will have room for another max as Lowry's, Ibaka's and Gasol's contracts end and Siakam is restricted.

So the Raptors will have more than enough space to pair Kawhi with Davis in Toronto, in the East, where it's a guaranteed trip to the Finals every year. Ibaka and Lowry can also come back after Davis is signed.

They won't be the Lakers only competition either.

The Lakers need to make a statement or a significant dent in the West this year or that could be it.

I think the biggest difference was that Howard and Kobe never had a relationship off the court before he came to the Lakers. Their personality did not match. Davis and Lebron seem to be tight off the court for a long time already. I don't think he will leave the Lakers and Lebron.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

One reason I'm hesitant on Kyrie is his antics are concerning. It's fun that he screwed over the celtics but he is also starting to show shades of Ricky Williams...Im not sure the dude is going to be about basketball too much longer.

It was the Nets. Any other stories being told here is a remake of the truth or after the fact.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8121824/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-says-only-wants-traded-one-team

Quote:
"There's only one team on my list and if I don't get traded there, I'll play the season out and explore my free agency after that," Howard told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Howard did not specify the team, but Magic general manager Rob Hennigan confirmed Monday what multiple league sources have told ESPN -- Howard wants to be traded to the Brooklyn Nets, making that clear in a meeting the GM had with the Magic center Friday.

Anyone who compares AD to Dwight has be equally or more unstable than Dwight himself.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

If he was a jerk, he wouldn’t have given the Pelicans 7 years and already signed an extension once.

Now... remember how many people were on pins and needles about that pick we gave up for Nash once we became one of the worst teams in the league? (which we **lucked** into being able to draft Russell and Ingram and didn't lose it).

Now we don't even have that kind of cushion. We can't even say "the next 4 years of tanking can reap us rewards).

Davis could do the same. It doesn't matter what we gave up for him, if this season goes tails up, he's not sticking around to be in another New Orleans situation.

He left from being the only face of the franchise(like Dwight), and isn't sticking around to be that again.

There will be 23 other teams with more cap space to sign talent once Davis is a free agent in 2020. And there are theoretically 9 teams that will have room for 2 maxes.

If Kawhi re-signs with the Raptors for the next 5 seasons(which if the 5s he held up at the parade are anything to go by he intends to). In 2020 they will have room for another max as Lowry's, Ibaka's and Gasol's contracts end and Siakam is restricted.

So the Raptors will have more than enough space to pair Kawhi with Davis in Toronto, in the East, where it's a guaranteed trip to the Finals every year. Ibaka and Lowry can also come back after Davis is signed.

The Lakers need to make a statement or a significant dent in the West this year or that could be it.

The key difference between AD and Dwight and PG13 is the fact that he's managed by Klutch and thus, has a relationship with Bron and Rich Paul. I'd only worry about him leaving next summer if A. The relationship between the Lakers org and Klutch went sour this season or B. AD dropped them as his management before signing his next contract.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Just like Paul George was the franchise savior before he decided he didn't want to be here.

Anthony Davis would go from 'hero' to 'flake' if the Lakers meme teamed this season and he left in free agency because he didn't want another New Orleans situation.

Dwight was called a flake, mainly because of his antics during the season (which we ignored any of when he wanted out of Orlando because it was to our advantage.. till it was happening to us).

But also because he didn't want to stay, to head the franchise, mostly by himself with an aging Kobe. Again, same scenario he wanted out of in Orlando in principle, and he went to a team that had the space, and a young superstar on the up, not on the down.

For that reason I say, keep an eye out for Toronto if they re-sign Kawhi. They'll have max space next off-season too.

So what is the better plan you have that would have got us AD, keep cap space, and completely mitigated the risk and fallout should AD leave?

My plan would have been if it was so sure he'd come in free agency and his agent was really about that life of getting him and the "The Celtics could trade for him..but he'd only play there one year.."

And the connection to LeBron was all legit, and the Celtics were still after all that about to give up their own assets for AD. Then I'd have let them.

And then made my move in 2020 while keeping all our assets and talent.

When you don't have to outbid against yourself. Don't.

Oh, so you would've wanted, to use your own terms, a "Paul George situation."

Ironic, you're implying that the Lakere are fools for not learning from something that happened 7 years ago, yet you didn't learn from something that happened just one year ago.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

It was the Nets. Any other stories being told here is a remake of the truth or after the fact.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8121824/orlando-magic-dwight-howard-says-only-wants-traded-one-team

Quote:
"There's only one team on my list and if I don't get traded there, I'll play the season out and explore my free agency after that," Howard told Yahoo! Sports on Monday.

Howard did not specify the team, but Magic general manager Rob Hennigan confirmed Monday what multiple league sources have told ESPN -- Howard wants to be traded to the Brooklyn Nets, making that clear in a meeting the GM had with the Magic center Friday.

Anyone who compares AD to Dwight has be equally or more unstable than Dwight himself.

Tbh that’s what I remember. Dwight being lukewarm to the idea.

AD wants to be great, Dwight...well self explanatory.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Just like Paul George was the franchise savior before he decided he didn't want to be here.

Anthony Davis would go from 'hero' to 'flake' if the Lakers meme teamed this season and he left in free agency because he didn't want another New Orleans situation.

Dwight was called a flake, mainly because of his antics during the season (which we ignored any of when he wanted out of Orlando because it was to our advantage.. till it was happening to us).

But also because he didn't want to stay, to head the franchise, mostly by himself with an aging Kobe. Again, same scenario he wanted out of in Orlando in principle, and he went to a team that had the space, and a young superstar on the up, not on the down.

For that reason I say, keep an eye out for Toronto if they re-sign Kawhi. They'll have max space next off-season too.

So what is the better plan you have that would have got us AD, keep cap space, and completely mitigated the risk and fallout should AD leave?

My plan would have been if it was so sure he'd come in free agency and his agent was really about that life of getting him and the "The Celtics could trade for him..but he'd only play there one year.."

And the connection to LeBron was all legit, and the Celtics were still after all that about to give up their own assets for AD. Then I'd have let them.

Your plan doesn’t mitigate the risk. It just moves it down a year.

Last edited by gooner on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Ironic, you're implying that the Lakere are fools for not learning from something that happened 7 years ago, yet you didn't learn from something that happened just one year ago.

If the whole being managed by Klutch and having a relationship with Bron and Rich Paul meant as much as people are making it out to be, then why not?

It wasn't Paul George's agent coming out to the media saying "If the Celtics signed him, he'd only be there for one season."

With all this stuff happening that rode the "Lakers getting AD is inevitable" train, which put the Lakers firmly into the drivers seat where even his own agent was actually saying to the media the Celtics would only have Davis for one year.

If all that was real, if all that was the case, if all that meant anything like people want to make it mean, then why would or should the Lakers bid against themselves? Particularly if the Celtics are still, despite all that, willing to give up a coup in order to get Davis?

If you ask me if the choice was between the Celtics giving up the coup for Davis, and losing him in the off-season to the Lakers even after his agent had telegraphed it but the Celtics did it anyway. Then that would have been far more satisfying than living this entire season in fear of one thing going wrong and knowing we have no future if it did.

gooner wrote:

Your plan doesn’t mitigate the risk. It just moves in down a year.

Mitigates it just fine. Because you still have something if AD didn't come in 2020, to a much stronger built team.

Lonzo, Ingram, LeBron and Davis with Kuzma as the 6th man is a stronger sell than.

LeBron, Davis and Kuzma and 1 year deals. Which are up after the season.

You go into 2020 with a stronger roster to tempt Davis with, and if all the "Agent, Klutch and LeBron connection' stuff meant anything, then it's your chance to see it payoff while we didn't lose a thing while the Celtics punted and lost.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Of course Magic would want some credit for the AD trade

https://sports.yahoo.com/magic-johnson-looks-crystal-ball-053528370.html

Quote:
Magic Johnson cited maintaining a strong relationship with Lakers owner Jeanie Buss as a major factor in his decision.

In fact, even after he left the Lakers franchise he still had a hand in bringing Davis to Los Angeles.

In a separate interview with the Los Angeles Times, Johnson said he urged Buss and other top executives to finish the deal which sent multiple first-round draft picks and youngsters Ball, Ingram, and Hart away.

"I'm still going to be right there and I'm still going to be calling and giving them notes," Johnson said earlier in the month. "I told them that this trade could be great for the next 10 years for the Lakers. That's what I sent in the note."

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

Your starting assumption isn't fair to the FO. I mean this... "if it was so sure he'd come in free agency". How do you imagine Rob finding that out and how would that conversation have gone down? Perhaps, something like this?

Rob: Hi Rich... I know your client left $80m on the table so that he could start winning now... and I know you and he have both done everything in your power to make it possible for us to trade for him last season and even now... but we are so sorry, we are going to pass for a year. Would you mind asking your client to go where ever the Pels send him, even though it might be to a team that doesn't have a chance at the title (and despite him giving up all those millions to start winning now)... and wait for us? Is that okay with him? Will he still be a lock to join us in 2020 as a free agent? We sure hope so! Fingers crossed!

PS: Magic isn't at the office much, so I'm negotiating on his behalf.

XOXO

Last edited by LAL1947 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

@ magic sending in a note saying that like it's some genius thought that helped the Lakers finally take a chance on that unknown AD guy.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

How long are people on this site going to pretend that Paul George and Kawhi Leonard didn't show up/aren't going to show up in LA the year after they said they're only interested in playing for the Lakers?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

"If my aunt had balls..."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks magic for getting us AD
LAPauer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
gooner wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
AD is not Dwight Howard.

If the whole being managed by Klutch and having a relationship with Bron and Rich Paul meant as much as people are making it out to be, then why not?

It wasn't Paul George's agent coming out to the media saying "If the Celtics signed him, he'd only be there for one season."

With all this stuff happening that rode the "Lakers getting AD is inevitable" train, which put the Lakers firmly into the drivers seat where even his own agent was actually saying to the media the Celtics would only have Davis for one year.

If all that was real, if all that was the case, if all that meant anything like people want to make it mean, then why would or should the Lakers bid against themselves? Particularly if the Celtics are still, despite all that, willing to give up a coup in order to get Davis?

If you ask me if the choice was between the Celtics giving up the coup for Davis, and losing him in the off-season to the Lakers even after his agent had telegraphed it but the Celtics did it anyway. Then that would have been far more satisfying than living this entire season in fear of one thing going wrong and knowing we have no future if it did.

gooner wrote:

Your plan doesn’t mitigate the risk. It just moves in down a year.

Mitigates it just fine. Because you still have something if AD didn't come in 2020, to a much stronger built team.

Lonzo, Ingram, LeBron and Davis with Kuzma as the 6th man is a stronger sell than.

LeBron, Davis and Kuzma and 1 year deals. Which are up after the season.

You go into 2020 with a stronger roster to tempt Davis with, and if all the "Agent, Klutch and LeBron connection' stuff meant anything, then it's your chance to see it payoff while we didn't lose a thing while the Celtics punted and lost.

You seem to think that things don't change over the course of a year in a new city. All kinds of things can happen. Friendships and relationships develop. Maybe he accomplishes something that he wants to build on. It's hard to pick up and leave even if a place wasn't your first choice. It even happened to me. I wanted to work in Shanghai but ended up loving it in Shenzhen. Why take the risk?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
@ magic sending in a note saying that like it's some genius thought that helped the Lakers finally take a chance on that unknown AD guy.

He's a total loon.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

It still hasn’t hit me yet that we got Anthony Davis, it almost feels like we are getting pranked it seems very surreal.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It still hasn’t hit me yet that we got Anthony Davis, it almost feels like we are getting pranked it seems very surreal.

It will hit when we witness that first pick n roll slam
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

AD working out
https://www.instagram.com/p/Byx1nX3HWYU/?igshid=18d3r86k2oliy
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
AD working out

Can he make it to a Lakers FA pitch?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

I'm so stoked about this guy. Might be the next Lakers jersey I get (and only one I've bought in my nearly 30+ years of fandom is Magic's).
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AD working out

Can he make it to a Lakers FA pitch?

Gonna have to have in on a conference call lol
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:
Magic Johnson cited maintaining a strong relationship with Lakers owner Jeanie Buss as a major factor in his decision.

In fact, even after he left the Lakers franchise he still had a hand in bringing Davis to Los Angeles.

In a separate interview with the Los Angeles Times, Johnson said he urged Buss and other top executives to finish the deal which sent multiple first-round draft picks and youngsters Ball, Ingram, and Hart away.

"I'm still going to be right there and I'm still going to be calling and giving them notes," Johnson said earlier in the month. "I told them that this trade could be great for the next 10 years for the Lakers. That's what I sent in the note."

He's such an attention whore that he fails to realize the damage he caused the franchise. If anything, he's made it harder for free agents to consider us seeing he spilled the beans on our incompetent ownership.

Oh yeah, thanks for trading Zubac for a bag of chips.
Lakerchaq
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

LOL davis wanted to be a Laker and we will have a good team, plus we are the only team that can get him 5 year contract.

You can’t live life thinking your GF will leave you, your insecurity will push her away.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

PDX_LAKERFAN wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

He's such an attention whore that he fails to realize the damage he caused the franchise. If anything, he's made it harder for free agents to consider us seeing he spilled the beans on our incompetent ownership.

Oh yeah, thanks for trading Zubac for a bag of chips.

(bleep) Magic Johnson. I was on his side until recently. He should just disappear from the Lakers for a while.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 753, 754, 755 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 754 of 1425
Jump to: