2019-2020 PELICANS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Most of the Pelican games I have seen end this way. They compete, maybe take the lead, then give it away at the end. Very common with young teams.

Makes me think that with Zion if Zion is even just 50 or 60% as good as his potential is, they'd win a lot of these close games.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Nearly had them.

I don't understand officiating anymore. Lou Williams gets so many calls where he just leans into the defender on the dribble. Its so odd. Why is that a foul? Why do we just accept it?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Nearly had them.

I don't understand officiating anymore. Lou Williams gets so many calls where he just leans into the defender on the dribble. Its so odd. Why is that a foul? Why do we just accept it?

It's not a foul but stars get it, Harden's made a career out of initiating contact himself and getting the foul called for him.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Nearly had them.

It's not a foul but stars get it, Harden's made a career out of initiating contact himself and getting the foul called for him.

I hate it.. Bron would get these calls before he became a Laker.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Nearly had them.

Yep, amazing how they all disappeared for him isn't it...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Nearly had them.

They really haven’t, people are just looking at it through a different prism.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Zion GTA AGAIN!!! He has a sprained ankle. I didn't see how he sprained it. I believe he came down on a players foot. My point is, he seems to be hurt a lot. When he's healthy the Pels are a handful. I know it a very long shot but I'm pulling for them to get the 8th seed. They're 5 games out of the spot and the Grizzles are playing well. I think they'll probably hang on. They have 2 left with the Grizzlies and 2 with the Spurs. Also Spurs have 1 left with the Grizzlies. Like I said, a very long shot.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
MJST wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Nearly had them.

They really haven’t, people are just looking at it through a different prism.

His FT rate is by far the lowest of his career, almost 12 % off his career average and 10 % lower than last season. Some of it naturally has to do with him aging and taking more outside shots, but it is apparent that he does not get the calls he should be getting. I don't believe it's a conspiracy, though, he does not flop (like Harden et al) and he is built like a tank so he can take the hit while still finishing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

Zion is a problem. Good lord.

Pels, as usual, suspiciously gifted a #1 when a star left (AD for CP3; Zion for AD).
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject:

BI, probably likes Zion being out, more shots and attention on him.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
BI, probably likes Zion being out, more shots and attention on him.

Selfish narratives persist.. and are bogus.

Ingram does what he does, whether Zion is playing or not.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Pels lose in OT at Dallas. They've now lost 3 in a row and find themselves 5 games back in the loss column to the Grizzlies with 20 games to go. Yes, their schedule eases up, but that's a lot of ground to make up. Not to mention that there are now 3 teams between them and Memphis in the standings.

Before tonight, Basketball-Reference had Memphis with a 36.8% chance of making the playoffs, with New Orleans at 21.2%. I have to imagine this loss tonight drops them below 20%, coupled with Memphis' win.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

^
Just to drive home how tough of a climb this is going to be for the Pels…

Andrew Lopez

@_Andrew_Lopez

From
@EliasSports
: Only one team in the history of the 16-team playoff format has overcome a 5-game deficit with 20 games left to make the playoffs: the '96-97 Bullets.

Pels are 5 back of Memphis with 20 to play.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject:

Zion is a superstar in the making, and Ingram will likely be all-star multiple times. The thing is though, I am not sure they complement each other the way Porzingis and Doncic do. Luka handles the ball, and Porzingis spaces the floor, is a kick out option to Porzingis, then Porzingsi is a driving option if the defense closes in on him. And if the D closes in on him, Luka's driving lanes open up. Defensively, Porzingis is elite.

The elite championship caliber duos they complement each other very very well.

Zion and Ingram will need a way to figure out how to complement each other in a way that leads to more winning. The Pels team is extremely talented. And unlike the Lakers teams of the last 2-3 years, they have a #1 talent in Zion that can actually give that edge to be patient and wait it out.

But at some point, the Pels would probably have to consider making a move where their 2nd best player is a ballhandling guard. Unless Ball develops into this player (dunno if he can, he was my favorite of the Lakers young guys but I never saw star potential) they will need to trade for a player that can be that ballhandling option. It is part of the reason why they lose games and can not manage the game through 48 minutes.

If I am the Pels, I definitely at least try to package Ball, Holiday (and other assest) to get a player that can run their offense and be the go to guy in the 4th Q who they play around. For sure you could rely on Zion and Ingram for a bucket or isolations, but someone the game can run through. Ball is just not that dangerous a scoring threat, teams will not fear him in the role he is currently, and only clamp in on Zion and Ingram more easily in close moments. You look at us, what Lebron does. You look at Dallas, Luka. You look at Houston, Westbrook-Harden. All the top teams who are legit contenders, tend to have that guard who can do that for you. I do not see Zion or Ingram being that guy.

Talent and asset wise though, (bleep), the Pelicans are looking great. To be a top 4 team in the West eventually, they will need a) get that high quality guard and b) improve a lot defensively. They do have the assets to achieve this goal within 1 more season, if Griffin makes the right trade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

I think Pels will make a run for Beal. That could be a dangerous squad.

They have so many pieces to add: BI/Zo/Jrue/a bunch of 1sts.

I would probably keep BI, see what Jrue/bunch of 1sts could do to get Beal.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Zion is a superstar in the making, and Ingram will likely be all-star multiple times. The thing is though, I am not sure they complement each other the way Porzingis and Doncic do. Luka handles the ball, and Porzingis spaces the floor, is a kick out option to Porzingis, then Porzingsi is a driving option if the defense closes in on him. And if the D closes in on him, Luka's driving lanes open up. Defensively, Porzingis is elite.

The elite championship caliber duos they complement each other very very well.

Zion and Ingram will need a way to figure out how to complement each other in a way that leads to more winning. The Pels team is extremely talented. And unlike the Lakers teams of the last 2-3 years, they have a #1 talent in Zion that can actually give that edge to be patient and wait it out.

But at some point, the Pels would probably have to consider making a move where their 2nd best player is a ballhandling guard. Unless Ball develops into this player (dunno if he can, he was my favorite of the Lakers young guys but I never saw star potential) they will need to trade for a player that can be that ballhandling option. It is part of the reason why they lose games and can not manage the game through 48 minutes.

If I am the Pels, I definitely at least try to package Ball, Holiday (and other assest) to get a player that can run their offense and be the go to guy in the 4th Q who they play around. For sure you could rely on Zion and Ingram for a bucket or isolations, but someone the game can run through. Ball is just not that dangerous a scoring threat, teams will not fear him in the role he is currently, and only clamp in on Zion and Ingram more easily in close moments. You look at us, what Lebron does. You look at Dallas, Luka. You look at Houston, Westbrook-Harden. All the top teams who are legit contenders, tend to have that guard who can do that for you. I do not see Zion or Ingram being that guy.

Talent and asset wise though, (bleep), the Pelicans are looking great. To be a top 4 team in the West eventually, they will need a) get that high quality guard and b) improve a lot defensively. They do have the assets to achieve this goal within 1 more season, if Griffin makes the right trade.

Nice post

I would say that BI and Zion can complement each other very well especially in P&R plays, being BI a superior midrange shooter than Luka and Zion a superior roller than Porgi
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

haven't watched enough Pels games (and Zion), but does he operate best in iso or lobs (seem a lot from Lonzo)? Does he run PnRs with other players often? He's such a monster on those iso plays.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
haven't watched enough Pels games (and Zion), but does he operate best in iso or lobs (seem a lot from Lonzo)? Does he run PnRs with other players often? He's such a monster on those iso plays.

He's very effective on early post ups, but I guess you meant those with iso plays.

He cannot run too much P&R when favors is on the floor cause the spacing would be awful (same as when AD is with javale/DH)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Practice:

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Ingram looking like he never took 4 months off.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Ingram still legit
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Remember when the LG upper echelons were upset the Lakers traded DLO and took it out on Ingram, for no reason whatsoever? Ingram is out there looking like the next Kobe or Kawhi.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Remember when the LG upper echelons were upset the Lakers traded DLO and took it out on Ingram, for no reason whatsoever? Ingram is out there looking like the next Kobe or Kawhi.

Kobe or Kawhi would have made that last 3 vs Utah though. 😝
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Kobe or Kawhi would have made that last 3 vs Utah though. 😝

Ingram and Lonzo cost them the game and probably the playoffs... but BI hit his two free throws and then his last shot just rimmed out.

When he learns to finish, he'll be a special player.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I see Lonzo Ball was in fine form in tonight's 2 point loss! In his typical fashion, he was:
2-13 FG's,
0-4 3pt attempts
0-2 FT attempts
Had 2 steals that nearly offset his 3 turnovers...

Wonder if they will be stupid enough to pick up his qualifying offer for 2021/2022 which would pay him $14.3mil?

Last edited by unleasHell on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: