Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

People forget how young THT is.

His defense is really terrible at this point. Both at POA/off ball. Will really need to improve that if he wants more playing time and a shot at starting against even more vicious starter level players. He was getting hunted on defense by teams by the end of the year.

His shooting also must improve considerably to not be a liability out there.

I love the clay he has, but the defense/3 point shooting have to improve by leaps and bounds for him to be in the discussion of starting. To me, right now, he's not even a 6th man level guy yet without improvement in these areas. But again, he's so young, so he can improve with the right coaching and he seems to be a hard and willing worker too. I don't think the market will be so crazy for him as some are fearing. I expect him to be back, or part of a trade for a 3rd star if a team really values him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

His defense is really terrible at this point. Both at POA/off ball. Will really need to improve that if he wants more playing time and a shot at starting against even more vicious starter level players. He was getting hunted on defense by teams by the end of the year.

I love the clay he has, but the defense/3 point shooting have to improve by leaps and bounds for him to be in the discussion of starting. To me, right now, he's not even a 6th man level guy yet without improvement in these areas. But again, he's so young, so he can improve with the right coaching and he seems to be a hard and willing worker too. I don't think the market will be so crazy for him as some are fearing. I expect him to be back, or part of a trade for a 3rd star if a team really values him.

Haven't seen him be terrible at POA defense.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Same, I've seen some great potential there against some elite offensive players. His team defense is abysmal but I think that's more so just lack of experience and he has plenty of time to still develop that. He has a long ways to go overall as a defender but he absolutely has the tools and has shown flashes already so mix that with his supposedly great work ethic and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him become a very solid 2 way player sooner then later.

I personally hope they keep him unless it involves a trade bringing a legit difference maker that's not already in the twilight of there career.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He stripped the Klaw. he was goated on that play.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why this is a highlight for Kyrie, this was as good of defense on him as you'll see.. by THT, the contest at the end, could have blocked it.

and he ripped Harden
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I saw more than a few times where he was blown by quite easily. He has the reach for sure, and that's why I suggested that maybe an ideal position is more at the big guard/small forward type position, rather than guarding quicker PGs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I saw more than a few times where he was blown by quite easily. He has the reach for sure, and that's why I suggested that maybe an ideal position is more at the big guard/small forward type position, rather than guarding quicker PGs.

He was never really a POA defender to begin with.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?

You expect me to categorize every defensive play he's had where he's had a blow by on him? Of course I can't remember that precisely but there were certainly games where he had quicker guards that just blew right by him. He's a 230+ guard so that's expected.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?

You expect me to categorize every defensive play he's had where he's had a blow by on him? Of course I can't remember that precisely but there were certainly games where he had quicker guards that just blew right by him. He's a 230+ guard so that's expected.

If he becomes a solid NBA defender, it will be due to his strength, reach and smarts, to be sure. And the smarts will take some time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

I think THT has the bulk and length to pound with bigger power guards and small forwards. I do not see him as a POA point guard defender at all as some think he could be.

He has the weight of a PF in a 6'3 frame with long arms.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

THT has starting talent for a team that has AD and Bron in it. What do you really need on a team that has AD as a target scorer and Bron handling the ball at the perimeter, or posting up. You want a player that can bring the ball up, shoot the 3 off a kick out or pass, and put some pressure on the defense if they play him soft as a ball penetration threat. Bonus, if you can make a pass.

To me, THT can do all of those things, aside from being a reliable 3 point shooter. So once or if he becomes a reliable 3 point shooter, you have a starting level guard next to AD-Bron that can drive to the basket and score, make a pass, bring the ball up against pressure to initiate the offense to relieve Bron.

In comparison, someone like KCP, as good as he has been in the championship playoff run, he can not really bring the ball up and initiate an O, he can not really get to the basket using handles and finish unless wide open. So there is a significant talent upgrade with THT. Its just about him getting more reps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

My goal for THT is to be a 6th man level player.

Not someone who cannot play against certain matchups, or is a DNP-CD.

I don't know if he's even there yet, but that would be my hope for him this season.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

BVH, you hit the nail on the head.
THT just needs to get his shot to fall, and he'll be at whatever tier CJ Mac is at. Which would be pretty great for us.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
BVH, you hit the nail on the head.
THT just needs to get his shot to fall, and he'll be at whatever tier CJ Mac is at. Which would be pretty great for us.

CJ? I mean that dude has honed his jumper from mid range and 3 point for a long time. THT is so young that he has time, but it may take years to be anywhere near that level of proficiency.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?

No, obviously I didn't ask that. Above someone recalled THT stealing the ball from Kawhi. It's vague, but I can track down some video evidence from that. You don't have a vague recollection of a player who might have blown past him? A team he might have struggled against? Not even a vague notion?

I ask because 1) potential false memories, 2) a "blow by" might have been a blown ice coverage by THT or the big - basically a team and not not an iso coverage issue - and 3) even the best individual defenders get beat by great offense, it's the frequency, caliber of competition, etc.

So without additional data, he seems fine with the potential to be good as a guard POA defender.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?

No, obviously I didn't ask that. Above someone recalled THT stealing the ball from Kawhi. It's vague, but I can track down some video evidence from that. You don't have a vague recollection of a player who might have blown past him? A team he might have struggled against? Not even a vague notion?

I ask because 1) potential false memories, 2) a "blow by" might have been a blown ice coverage by THT or the big - basically a team and not not an iso coverage issue - and 3) even the best individual defenders get beat by great offense, it's the frequency, caliber of competition, etc.

So without additional data, he seems fine with the potential to be good as a guard POA defender.

I don't have any software to review past games, but I distinctly recall times when he was matched up against quicker guards and he couldn't stay in front of them. Several times he was attacked from the corner 3 where they beat him to the rim. I watched probably 90% of the regular season so I'm going off my memory.

He was much better IMO against slower, but bulkier players. Against the whippet guards, just doesn't have to lateral speed to stay with them, probably b/c he weights 40-50 pounds more than point guards. I wouldn't count on him to be a plus POA defender. What he can do is help backside with his insane reach, or against stronger players.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully this guy can get his 3 ball down because he’s going to have wide open looks, unless we move him and slide all the chips in.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Fischer: The Knicks are mentioned by league sources as a team that has expressed interest in Fournier, while New York has also been linked to Lakers guards Dennis Schroder and Talen Horton-Tucker.

Knicks could potentially poison pill the well for us on THT. I wonder if a S&t of THT will be used to take on Schro on a defacto 1yr deal.

Technically, THT can be moved to NY on a S&t’d 4yr/45m deal via his early bird. If we aggregate that to a 3yr 60m S&t Schro (starting at 19.2m in yr1, where only the 1st year is fully guaranteed), then we can create a 24.5m TPE. We can then bring in a 24.6m contract later in the year...maybe revisit Buddy at that time.

It does cost us THT, but maybe NY can send us some conditional draft capital back along with the TPE.

Schro technically gets a 1yr make good deal to show out in a big market so that he can hit the market again next summer. NY would be in control with his nonguaranteed deal in yrs 2&3 and they get a prospect in THT on a team friendly deal for allowing us to borrow their cap space this summer.
rixil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can you recall a game?

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

Cleared Ceballos, Nick, Eddie, McCloud playing time by 3rd season

Cleared DS, KCP, Kuz playing time

It’s time

Dynomite
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

we got the talent upgrade needed. Now we have to keep caruso, and THT.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Yeah, only assets left. I believe in THT tho, time for starter minutes. Better be shooting threes all summer
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

You guys ever see THT in person? His arms are abnormally long.

He’s young. He’s played meaningful games. He’s not afraid. He’s crafty and can finish at the rim.

He becomes a reliable shooter and begins to see the floor a little bit better… and he’s a foundational type player.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Yeah, only assets left. I believe in THT tho, time for starter minutes. Better be shooting threes all summer

agree. i do think tht, russ, caruso on the court together will be relentless. Dont know if anyone makes a shot but they will certainly run the other team into the ground.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 133 of 202
Jump to: